Gilby Clarke on the Reunion: "I don't think it's going to happen"

What is with all of this Gilby hate? I was a fan of GN'R by 1991 and I do not remember one single person complaining about Clark during the old era. He filled Izzy's role with Stonesy Telecaster playing and had a good stage presence with Slash. Additionally, in a band of complete wankers, Gilby comes across as one of the only down to earth decent individuals to have ever been in Guns. He was dismissed by Axl as a songwriter yet Pawnshop Guitars is certainly superior to It's Five O' Clock and Chinese, Slash's and Axl's respective ideas for the next Guns album. Chinese has a complete absence of rock n' roll riffs? Well there is an excellent one in ''Cure Me and Kill Me''. Yet now everyone hates him and wants a Britney Spears sessionman hack to partner Slash based on the premise that he ''looks like Izzy''!

• Like 1

People who are calling Gilby a hired hand, well Fortus is more of a hired hand, won't it be fucked up to see Fortus playing Slash's NR solo or Rocket Queen Solo when Slash himself is there? that will be WTF. Let Slash play what he plays and let Izzy/Gilby play what they played. There is no need of another Guitarist covering the parts which he is not supposed to.

Assuming that lol reunion is a possibility:

Izzy would definitely be the best choice, not only for nostalgia but from a marketing POV -- and that's ignoring his songwriting skills if you people think they could release a new record of original material. If he's not available, then Gilby. Simple as that.

Fortus is a great guitarist but he has no place in a Gn'R reunion. He is a session musician, he plays whatever you want him to play for the right price. He will be fine.

• Like 1

What is with all of this Gilby hate? I was a fan of GN'R by 1991 and I do not remember one single person complaining about Clark during the old era. He filled Izzy's role with Stonesy Telecaster playing and had a good stage presence with Slash. Additionally, in a band of complete wankers, Gilby comes across as one of the only down to earth decent individuals to have ever been in Guns. He was dismissed by Axl as a songwriter yet Pawnshop Guitars is certainly superior to It's Five O' Clock and Chinese, Slash's and Axl's respective ideas for the next Guns album. Chinese has a complete absence of rock n' roll riffs? Well there is an excellent one in ''Cure Me and Kill Me''. Yet now everyone hates him and wants a Britney Spears sessionman hack to partner Slash based on the premise that he ''looks like Izzy''!

Hey ho, GNR fan since 1990 at least and even though I was still in primary school, always thought Matt Sorum and Gilby were cheesey bastards and basically inferior to the guys they replaced.

Vividly remember a friend bringing the UYI videos over and both of us having serious doubts...Gilby is fucking awful on those concerts, not that the rest of them are all that much better.

Why should they choose Fortus when Fortus himself stated he won't share a stage with Slash out of respect for Axl :D

Fortus wasn't part of the Dead Daysies when Slash recorded a dong with them.

Yeah I hope he keeps that promise.

Hey ho, GNR fan since 1990 at least and even though I was still in primary school, always thought Matt Sorum and Gilby were cheesey bastards and basically inferior to the guys they replaced.

Vividly remember a friend bringing the UYI videos over and both of us having serious doubts...Gilby is fucking awful on those concerts, not that the rest of them are all that much better.

Are their specific moments on there demonstrating Gilby's 'awfulness'? I do not recall a single bum note or missed cue.

Why would anyone want a hack like Fortus over Gilby Clarke?

Man I hope you're kidding..

No I'm not. Fortus is a reminder to Slash etc of the hideous 'nugnr' era. He is inherently an 'Axl man'. If you are doing a reunion then do it right and sweep away the garbage hack era. Gilby recorded a studio album and was chosen by Slash. He toured with the old band behind one of the old band's albums so therefore at least carries a connection with that era.

yeah, but Slash also wanted Fortus for his band

I was a fan back in 1991-1993 and I agree with you regarding Gilby, he came across really well, fit in with their look and sound at the time and Pawnshop Guitars is a fine album. Personally I don't have a problem with Fortus though, he's a better guitar player than Gilby and Izzy for that matter but for a reunion, it would have to be Gilby or Izzy for me. I don't want to see original GnR being merged with Illusion era GnR being merged with NuGnR. Either have the 5 original guys or the illusion tour guys.

Why would anyone want a hack like Fortus over Gilby Clarke?

Man I hope you're kidding..

No I'm not. Fortus is a reminder to Slash etc of the hideous 'nugnr' era. He is inherently an 'Axl man'. If you are doing a reunion then do it right and sweep away the garbage hack era. Gilby recorded a studio album and was chosen by Slash. He toured with the old band behind one of the old band's albums so therefore at least carries a connection with that era.

So Slash might get a sore ass if Fortus is around to remind him that Axl's band used to exist? That's your reason? :lol:

In a sense, yes. Why would anyone want to combine leeches with a reunited line-up like some freakish Frankenstein monster hybrid. i do not want to see any of these nugnr wankers near legends like Slash and Duff. Slash has never played with Fortus. Why should he be expected to play with somebody he has never played with?

On The Dead Daisies they play on the same track

No

Richard wasn't involved in that album, please get your facts right

If Izzy bails out, then they should really call Gilby, he can actually play

Wow those solos...? the first one wasn't the worst, but that 2nd one was pretty awful, Dj would be proud.

Speaking KOHD, Axl should stop doing the 11minute version and go back to the classic Guns version. OR cut the current version down to maybe 6 / 7 minutes long, the song is much better when it's concise.

If Izzy bails out, then they should really call Gilby, he can actually play

Wow those solos...? the first one wasn't the worst, but that 2nd one was pretty awful, Dj would be proud.

Speaking KOHD, Axl should stop doing the 11minute version and go back to the classic Guns version. OR cut the current version down to maybe 6 / 7 minutes long, the song is much better when it's concise.

Thomas, I am not comparing Gibly and Slash or Gibly and Fortus, Im just saying that If there are Slash and Gilby on stage then obviously Gilby won't play those solo's. But well nowdays Fortus does plays some Solo's composed by Slash, so If there is Slash and Fortus, then it would be WTF to see Fortus playing those solo's, As a fan I want Slash to play his solo's.

Even though whenever Izzy joined Axl's band, he was dead as a stick, but I was like man LET IZZY PLAY HIS OWN SOLO's. Fortus is a great artist, it will be a waste of talent if he is in a part of any kind of reunion.

No Gilby hate here. Love Gilby actually. I was just responding to your statement of why Slash would want to play with Fortus. Slash asked him to join his band a few years back so he must like him. And has Slash really even played or collaborated with Gilby in the last 18 years other than a few gigs? Gilby should be next in line after Izzy but you never know with this band.

Edited by ChineseIRS

This is the transcription of what he said, Im not sure if someone posted this.

“It’s strange, I mean obviously we’ve all heard. I actually did not know the news that Slash and Axl had talked, I didn’t know, and I see him all the time. I don’t know, I mean obviously it would be great for music if it did happen. I’m in the same boat like everybody else, I want to see the first five guys do it. That would be great to see them do Appetite. If it happens I think it would be great. Do I really think it is really going to happen? No, I really don’t.”

He added, “No one has said one word to me about it.”

“There’s always offers.”

Clarke was then asked if he would want to take part in a Guns N’ Roses reunion.

“I think if it happened, obviously it would be great, but I got to be realistic. The fans want the original five guys, and I do too. It was a great band, it would be great to see that. If it did happen, I would definitely be available to do it. I always said, if Slash was a part of it, I would be a part of it.”

http://www.alternativenation.net/ex-guitarist-doubts-guns-n-roses-reunion-would-take-part/

Honest question: which are Izzy's own solo?

Think about you

I guess the first solo of Nightrain

he did compose the Riff of Out Ta Get Me, not sure about the Solo.

Izzy's the first half of Nightrains solo
Does Izzy play part of the Back off Bitch solo on the record?