Gilby Clarke on the Reunion: "I don't think it's going to happen"

Fair enough. For me, if Izzy isnt involved id be fine with Gilby or Fortus (if Slash is into playing with him.) They have both proven they play Izzys rhythms well and a reunion doesnt hinge on them either way in my opinion.

Yeah, actually, I would be opposed to having Fortus as rhythm because you have Slash on lead. Would people be happy seeing Fortus covering Slash's Rocket Queen outro while Slash, the one who wrote it, is on the same stage? No. That's why I think that having Fortus would be unnecessary.

What's the point of having a skilled guitar player as Fortus playing nothing but rhythm?

Yeah i get that. But he does play rhythm really well so i think itd still be cool. And i dont think Fortus would say well ive played this part for the last 12 years so im playing it, if Slash is there and its his lead haha. But either way id be cool with either. Ideally i want Izzy to be there if it does happen.

Fair enough. For me, if Izzy isnt involved id be fine with Gilby or Fortus (if Slash is into playing with him.) They have both proven they play Izzys rhythms well and a reunion doesnt hinge on them either way in my opinion.

Yeah, actually, I would be opposed to having Fortus as rhythm because you have Slash on lead. Would people be happy seeing Fortus covering Slash's Rocket Queen outro while Slash, the one who wrote it, is on the same stage? No. That's why I think that having Fortus would be unnecessary.

What's the point of having a skilled guitar player as Fortus playing nothing but rhythm?

Yeah i get that. But he does play rhythm really well so i think itd still be cool. And i dont think Fortus would say well ive played this part for the last 12 years so im playing it, if Slash is there and its his lead haha. But either way id be cool with either. Ideally i want Izzy to be there if it does happen.

That's just it. Fortus is a professional and he'll do the job he needs to do. If Slash is back then you won't see Fortus playing any of Slash's solos - he'll just be the rhythm player. They'd possibly still give him a solo spot and he'd get his Nightrain solo so there'd be a few spots for him to get off on while not being one of three central lead players as he is currently.

Izzy likes cash. Cash would persuade him.

I get the impression that Izzy doesn't bring in the money. So he may get stiffed pay wise? Maybe they would split it equally for old times sake.

They should demand more for the OG 5. But promoters seem to not think Izzy or Steven bring in the crowds. Surely the AFD line up would sell more than with Gilby and Matt? Maybe not significantly.

The world wants the original 5 I think. The fans and rock fraternity.

But if anything a hybrid is shaping up if you follow the rumors. Something for everyone.

If Axl puts out CD II and tours with a new line up I'll post a emoticon.

Somewhere around 3/4 of the way through. Steven Adler had just left Trunk's interview, bumped into Gilby Clarke on the way out, and then Trunk asks Gilby about the reunion rumors.

http://masiweb.net/eddietrunk/MP3/EddieTrunk-SiriusXM_2015-09-28.mp3

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I think Steven sounds cocky as fuck in this interview. He truly sounds full of himself.

"I was on Civil War, which is the Illusions' greatest song!"

"I wouldn't mind sharing the drums with Sorum 'cause I'd get to play the good songs anyway!"

"Sorum and Gilby were just hired hands!"

:facepalm:

just as cocky as he should be since he is the drummer of the best band ever and he created the drums on the best album ever and he can play those songs better than anyone on this planet

He shouldn't because his big mouth could cost him the chance of being the fifth musician in the reunion -- if that ever happens. Sure, he was on AFD, which I love, but he was acting like he was a God, while belittling what others did after him. I cringed around 50000 times listening to that interview.

i guess you got a point there

even though id never say he is acting like a god

that was just a loose & funny interview, steven is a rocker, he is loud and proud and thats all

steven is not someone like bono trying to save the world or anything like that, or to save the dolphins or whatever

on the same interview they talk about another drummer (i missed his name now) and steven comments that after seeing this particular drummer performing he thought about quitting playing drums because that guy was so good

just light-hearted comments, of course he would never quit drumming

But it is not a reunion of anything! Axl, Slash, Duff with Fortus and the other dicks do not represent anything. They have never existed as a band! What actually are you reuniting here?

You guys should stop arguing about what's a reunion or not. If something happens I don't think it will be a reunion of a specific lineup. It will be a new lineup with very important faces making a return.

I get the impression that Izzy doesn't bring in the money. So he may get stiffed pay wise? Maybe they would split it equally for old times sake.

They should demand more for the OG 5. But promoters seem to not think Izzy or Steven bring in the crowds. Surely the AFD line up would sell more than with Gilby and Matt? Maybe not significantly.

The world wants the original 5 I think. The fans and rock fraternity.

But if anything a hybrid is shaping up if you follow the rumors. Something for everyone.

If Axl puts out CD II and tours with a new line up I'll post a emoticon.

i would say the hybrid is the 'idea' however in gnr land anything can fucking change

maybe adler is told by slash that he's in like 2hours before the first concert and is given the ok to debut and that's it

if adler just wants one show then let it be the first one at a secret venue

most people like cash

I think they could give Steven a few shows in Vegas or LA or something just to get it over with. But then the touring stability of Matt or Frank.

Same for Izzy he might like to do a run of shows then cut out for the world tour. Then show up for big shows like festivals or rio.

I think they could give Steven a few shows in Vegas or LA or something just to get it over with. But then the touring stability of Matt or Frank.

Same for Izzy he might like to do a run of shows then cut out for the world tour. Then show up for big shows like festivals or rio.

If only Duff is back, Axl can continue without it being perceived as caving in and new Guns won't seem like a total failure. CD ll can be released and Duff will probably have no problem with playing nu tunes.

He doesn't have anything to say anymore anyway on his own imo. How to be a man, kill the internet. Needs Axl's vision.

Edited by Rovim

I think it two different things maybe. Duff solo and becoming part of GNR are different deals.

Some can be reductive and just say AFD line up is the best just do that. Then reality turns up. There's two other significant eras and Duff hasnt been in Guns for 15 years? You arent really going to dance in and start calling the shots. Getting some kind of working hybrid line up would be success.

• Like 1

I think it two different things maybe. Duff solo and becoming part of GNR are different deals.

Some can be reductive and just say AFD line up is the best just do that. Then reality turns up. There's two other significant eras and Duff hasnt been in Guns for 15 years? You arent really going to dance in and start calling the shots. Getting some kind of working hybrid line up would be success.

Just WTF are you talking about?

:facepalm:

You're right. I think the likeliest and most legitimate lineup to fuse public perception and working reality is to keep it 3 on 3. Fortus, Frank, Pitman for the old new base and then Slash, Duff, Izzy for the new old sector and then Axl, Dizzy to weld it together.

You're right. I think the likeliest and most legitimate lineup to fuse public perception and working reality is to keep it 3 on 3. Fortus, Frank, Pitman for the old new base and then Slash, Duff, Izzy for the new old sector and then Axl, Dizzy to weld it together.

Before a week or two you called Paul Huge as important for a reunion, today it's Pitman. You can't tell me you're believing your own words. You're simply here to provoke and to fool other people.

Your posts and Wasted's doesn't make sence in the slightest. Same weird stuff like written by the same person with different accounts.

Before a week or two you called Paul Huge as important for a reunion, today it's Pitman. You can't tell me you're believing your own words. You're simply here to provoke and to fool other people.

Your posts and Wasted's doesn't make sence in the slightest. Same weird stuff like written by the same person with different accounts.

Tobias would be my personal favorite and I think he's a legitimate option in a reunion scenario. My preference would be to see them continue where they left off in 95, but I don't think its likely to play out. I'm just trying to be realistic without imprinting my personal preferences. Personally I'd prefer Axl keep the CD era going.

I like the idea as you can work the whole career of GNR and it's a new project to get that on record.

The other option is the classic AFD line up which could pull eclipse the past maybe, or just be consumed by ground zero smoke. It would legendary but it could be horrific. Izzy is the ballistic missile that was never given the green light. Press the button.

Another Gilby interview. No reunion talk but says Axl is incredibly talented.

http://wwv.asianage.com/music/axl-rose-incredibly-talented-379

‘Axl Rose is incredibly talented’

DYUTI%20BASU2_0.jpg

Gilby Clarke on stage on Sunday; (inset) with GNR during their heyday — Dyuti Basu; www.cleveland.com

Former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke talks about his erstwhile band-mates Axl Rose and Slash; recounts the band’s glory days

He’s holding a Les Paul Classic, with a chain hanging from his denim pocket, silky locks caressing his jawline. Meet Gilby Clarke — the less notorious, soft-spoken former member of Guns N’ Roses (GNR). The guitarist, who was part of the hard rock group from 1991-1994, had little to do on stage with Slash being the main player but he did what few could do in the time of sex, drugs and rock-n-roll — the job of a team man.

Clarke is on an India tour for a series of gigs under the name ‘Gilby Clarke (of Guns N’ Roses) & Friends’. Few minutes before plugging in at blueFROG here, he switched to his candid self. Seated on a cherry-red sofa surrounded by wall art inside the green room, away from the fans waiting outside to catch a glimpse of him......the star had enough cushioning to lift the lid off the acid trip past. “I came into the Guns situation knowing everything. I always knew Slash was the main man. I didn’t mind because the music was great. It was much later when I felt I didn’t want to do it anymore. I admire Slash as a guitarist and both our guitars fit very well,” said Clarke, who is touring with bassist EJ Curse and drummer Troy Patrick Farrell (White Lion).

Apart from GNR, Clarke and Slash also teamed up for Slash’s Snakepit in 1993. “We still jam together. Two weeks before I came to India, I played with him in New Jersey,” said Clarke.

Alcohol and drugs were a part of the movement. Axl Rose, the frontman of GNR, had domestic abuse issues too. Didn’t that affect the band when on stage? “Of course, it did. There was a lot of alcohol and drugs. But when we were on the road, we tried to downplay the drugs part. Everyone made a conscious effort. On show days, I don’t think anybody did it, though there have been situations when they did. And come on, we were much younger, it was two decades ago. It was a part of our life. Those days, we could party and drink a whole night and play a gig the next day,” added Gilby.

First GNR appearance
Before joining GNR, Clarke’s steel strings squealed and bent for Candy — a Los Angeles-based rock group where he eventually became the lead vocalist — and then, Kill For Thrills. However, replacing Rose’s childhood friend Izzy Stradlin in GNR opened the gates to the Sunset Strip and Hollywood glamour.

“I was never nervous. All that mattered to me was playing the songs right. I only had a week or so to learn the band catalogue. I didn’t think about either the audience or the band members, all that I thought was ‘I don’t want to f**k up the songs’… Rather, they were worried. I remember that right from my first show, as the set was being prepared, the guys used to ask how was I feeling. I used to tell them: ‘Why do you keep asking me this? I am fine’. Then they would be, ‘No, it is a big stage, big crowd’. I guess they were more nervous,” asserted the 53-year-old.

The GNR sound, off-stage stories
Though the band had hit hard rock tracks like Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O’ Mine and Paradise City, it also had a softer side with songs like Don’t Cry, Patience et al.

Clarke’s romance with GNR escalated with its softer side. “There were some tracks which were on the backbeat musically. All guitar players usually have a tendency to push, to speed up, the few GNR tracks which were laidback helped me concentrate, relax and play,” said Gilby, who threw his hat in the ring during the Use Your Illusion tour.

With more said and written about the drugs quotient, the Rose-Slash tiff, the good side of the GNR story faded with the heavy riffs and pulls of the whammy.

“We were a band who hung out together. On tours, our rooms used to be next to each other and the doors were usually open. We used to barge into each other’s rooms and steal alcohol from the mini bar,” recalled Clarke.

Axl Rose — the star
Very few musicians have spoken well about the frontman of GNR. But Clarke, who quit the band 21 years back, still relishes the sessions with Rose.

“He is incredibly talented. He is a talented singer, writer and a performer. Usually artists these days don’t have all three. They can either sing well and are too shy to perform or they are only good writers,” said Clarke, who reunited with the band with bassist Duff McKagan, drummers Steven Adler and Matt Sorum, and guitarist Slash for the ‘Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction’ ceremony in 2012.

Brotherhood among bands
Clarke stated how bands were fond of each other and there was a sense of brotherhood during the 80s and 90s. “All bands were fighting for record deals, fighting for the same show. Hence, there was a lot of camaraderie. There was competition, which was healthy. If some artist opened for another, everyone wanted to see them. We cheered for each other. We also had Red Hot Chilli Peppers climbing up the charts those days. Though their music was different but we all were a part of the same scene and that’s why, even after all these years, we all know each other and are in touch… I don’t see the brotherhood anymore. It is a different period now. Everybody is politically correct. Nobody says ‘I don’t like that band’. Everyone likes everybody. We were a bit bolder,” he said.

Slash in India
Co-incidentally, Slash is set to tour India for a couple of gigs in November. A bit of calendar twisting could have got the guitar duo together.

Was Clarke aware of Slash’s plans?
“Yes, I heard. When I told him I was going to India, he replied: ‘I am coming right after you’. It is difficult to get us together in India. I don’t think so. He lives far away, a 20-hour flight from Los Angeles. But I will definitely tell him about my experience here,” added Clarke, who also collaborated with bassist Jason Newsted (Metallica) and drummer Tommy Lee (Motley Crue) to form Rock Star Supernova.

However, the clock was nearing 10 and Clarke’s adrenaline rush brought an aviator out of his bag. The guitars were tuned, drums and bass balanced, and the hour had arrived. From teens to oldies, the venue saw GNR tees and Slash-like hairdos among the crowd. What if the band, with its original line-up, had not split?

“Our last show (in Argentina) was in front of 80,000 people. We were on top. But it could have turned worse too. Thankfully, it didn’t get ugly,” said Clarke.

• 2 months later...

lol gilby

Never in the loop. He wasn't even part of the Sympathy For The Devil cover, right?
correct. He had already been fired for Paul Tobias. Boy if Tobias ever made a live appearance now that would be trolling!

Paul was real quiet about the reunion

So was Tracci Guns, Rob Gardner, and Ole Beich and axl's gardener

oh wait....