Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

Riff Raff is bound to make the list right? Surely Angus would not play it for the first time in 20 years as a GN'R guest and then refuse to play it for the AC/DC shows. That would be a pretty big kick in the nuts for AC/DC fans.

I would certainly imagine it would be, especially since Axl is well familiar with it. But it wasn't in the setlist of their most recent shows which is why I didn't list it. 

4 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I read something the other day about Q-Prime Management and Peter Mensch being the management behind AC/DC and the current tour. It made me wonder if that same management haven't quietly been part of the GNR reunion and saw an opportunity for cross promotion, not to knock Team Brasil efforts but the roll out of the GNR comeback smacks of some heavy hitters being involved also.

It was just a hunch though and might be way off mark.

I don't think Peter Mensch manages AC/DC anymore, but I think you're right about there being some cross promotion. Also, I think that the reunion has (sorry Axl/DC haters) also facilitated this. Angus may have not wanted Axl to open for AC/DC if it was still just him in Guns and maybe Axl wouldn't have considered it either. Brian at least has been publicly unimpressed with Axl being a late starter.  Slash opened for AC/DC when he was doing the snakepit tour. Bridging barriers with Slash may have helped Axl create the right impression with the 'heavy-hitters' who would have also had AC/DC's ear. Also, I can't believe that Angus and co would have been ignorant of Axl's consistently great performances of WLR and Riff Raff all these past years. It would just be interesting to know which side made the call or gave the nod first.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Do we know the full story with Brian?

From what I gathered he left on his own accord.

His statement makes me feel a lot better. It seems the health issues were genuine and he's focused on healing to the point where he can continue to perform. He also doesn't rule out recording in the studio.

24 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

They have previously said they won't play "Long Way to the Top" as it was seen as Bon's song. Brian never played it. Yes, but it is just one of their best and with the Scottish connection, Axl may just bust out the kilt for this one.

Of the current/most recent AC/DC setlist, here's my thoughts:

Rock or Bust - STAYS - if for no reason other than its the name of the tour Regretfully agree.

Shoot to Thrill - NOT SURE - a staple song, but not as big with casual fans as some others, and could see Axl not sounding great. I think that Axl will struggle with this.

Hell Aint a Bad Place to Be - STAYS - Bon Era song that the band seems to love playing Agree

Back in Black - STAYS - one of the biggest hits Agree

Got Some Rock N Roll Thunder - DROP - not a great song to begin with and its from the "new" album Agree

Dirty Deeds - STAYS - big hit, could see Axl adding a nice sound to this Absolutely - I don't think Axl will power through this one, but return it to its earlier vibe.

Thunderstruck - DROP - Angus has struggled with the guitar parts and I think Axl will struggle with the vocals. Hugely popular song but this could be a trainwreck Agree

High Voltage - STAYS Agree

Rock N Roll Train- DROP - not that well known among casual fans and could be replaced with a bon-era song Agree

Hells Bells - NOT SURE - a staple song, and they have the huge bell as part of the stage show, but not sure about Axl singing this I'm not sure about Axl doing this. Along with WLR, it's my favorite and it's just a very unique song. Brian originally sung it like a dirge.

Given the Dog a Bone - DROP - I'd like to hear Axl sing this but it was never a big hit and if you're looking to fill in some Bon stuff, this one goes. Agree

Sin City - STAYS - good song for Axl Agree

You Shook Me all night long - STAYS - biggest hit for AC/DC I'm not big on this song anymore, heard it done to death and I would rather have Axl sing Let me put my love into you

Shot Down in Flames - STAYS - another Bon era song Agree

Have a Drink on Me - DROP - see my thoughts on Givin the dog a bone. In reality they may keep one and drop one This is one Brian song from the BIB album along with Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution that I absolutely would love for Axl to sing. I think it would just resonate with Axl.

TNT, Whole Lotta Rosie, Let there Be Rock, Highway to Hell - STAYS - see "You shook me" above. Agree.

For those about to Rock - NOT SURE. This has been their closing song for many tours and yes they have the cannons but I think it will be rough on Axl's vocal style. Since this has become the Angus show now, I could see them making Let there Be Rock (with Angus' extended solo) as the closer. Agree

My comments in yellow - I think there's scope for at least four more Bon era songs on the set while retaining four or five early Brian era songs that Axl can do well ,with the addition of maybe something else from Razor's edge or one of the later albums as a replacement for Rock N' Roll train and Thunderstruck. Maybe something fun like 'Mistress for Christmas' I have a feeling that Axl might enjoy doing that one :lol:. He could add a Santa hat to his big collection of headgear.

Edited by The Archer

6 minutes ago, rose22 said:

They will play Live Wire. Might even open with it. 

That'd be a great song and it's super easy. Axl could sing most of it in his "normal" voice.

Touch Too Much would be a great addition as well. They could even tease a bit of Sweet Child in the middle of it because the chorus and breakdown use the same chord progression as the "where do we go" part of SCOM. I'd be all for that just for good fun.

6 minutes ago, The Archer said:

My comments in yellow - I think there's scope for at least four more Bon era songs on the set while retaining four or five early Brian era songs that Axl can do well ,with the addition of maybe something else from Razor's edge or one of the later albums as a replacement for Rock N' Roll train and Thunderstruck. Maybe something fun like 'Mistress for Christmas' I have a feeling that Axl might enjoy doing that one :lol:. He could add a Santa hat to his big collection of headgear.

I agree there's room for 4-5 Bon songs (or other Brian ones). The reason I doubt Long Way to the Top (despite the visual props of Axl in a kilt - and then a santa hat lol) is because Angus and Malcolm have previously flat out said they will never play the song. 

2 minutes ago, James Bond said:

They could even tease a bit of Sweet Child in the middle 

They'd only get through a little bit before a riot ensues! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goneshootin said:

I agree there's room for 4-5 Bon songs (or other Brian ones). The reason I doubt Long Way to the Top (despite the visual props of Axl in a kilt - and then a santa hat lol) is because Angus and Malcolm have previously flat out said they will never play the song. 

Understandable. Such a shame Bon wasn't able to be there when they reached the top of the mountain.

4 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I don't disagree with you guys, but I do think the set will be even more BON heavy than you guys are giving credit for.  Everyt BON song you guys mentioned will be in for sure, but I can see Rocker, the jack, ride on, what's next to the moon, girls got a rhythm, and maybe even songs like Night Prowler, long way to the top, and Big Balls maybe even making it in.

As for the Brian songs, I think they are going to be only hits. I think you shook me will stay, as will back in black and hells bells. Shoot to thrill, thunderstruck, and for those about to rock might not make the cut. Maybe they will, but I don't know??? I have my doubts. Also I think EVERYTHING from the new album will be dropped. 

If they want to our on the best show possible, this is the way to do it imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Really? That's one thing I've missed them saying then. It's a pity though. Great, great song. Watching the original video with the boys riding on the truck and watching Bon on the bagpipes is always just amazing. I hope Axl logs in as Dexter and reads our song suggestions, if nothing but for the Santa cap. Axl Santa could become a GN'R staple too.

Maybe, just tweet him our song suggestions....

Edited by The Archer

1 minute ago, The Archer said:

Really? That's one thing I've missed them saying then. It's a pity though. Great, great song. Watching the original video with the boys riding on the truck and watching Bon on the bagpipes is always just amazing. I hope Axl logs in as Dexter and reads our song suggestions, if nothing but for the Santa cap. Axl Santa could become a GN'R staple too.

People make enough Axl fat jokes. We don't need him dressing as Santa too. :lol:

Just now, The Archer said:

If he's gonna play Santa, he needs to bring back the early 90's beard. ;)

4 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I don't disagree with you guys, but I do think the set will be even more BON heavy than you guys are giving credit for.  Everyt BON song you guys mentioned will be in for sure, but I can see Rocker, the jack, ride on, what's next to the moon, girls got a rhythm, and maybe even songs like Night Prowler, long way to the top, and Big Balls maybe even making it in.

As for the Brian songs, I think they are going to be only hits. I think you shook me will stay, as will back in black and hells bells. Shoot to thrill, thunderstruck, and for those about to rock might not make the cut. Maybe they will, but I don't know??? I have my doubts. Also I think EVERYTHING from the new album will be dropped. 

If they want to our on the best show possible, this is the way to do it imo.

Rocker would be good. As an AC/DC fan I can't stand the jack and was thrilled they finally dropped it - too slow and plodding - but its their most played song ever and could see it returning (would be cool if they used the original lyrics). 

I think Ride on, Night Prowler, and Big Balls are pretty unlikely to be honest. Keep in mind Angus is a creature of habit and even with a new singer I don't see what he may consider deep cuts to be revived. Especially ones they've never played live before (or rarely). Even Riff Raff I thought Angus sort of butchered at Coachella. 

10 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Rocker would be good. As an AC/DC fan I can't stand the jack and was thrilled they finally dropped it - too slow and plodding - but its their most played song ever and could see it returning (would be cool if they used the original lyrics). 

I think Ride on, Night Prowler, and Big Balls are pretty unlikely to be honest. Keep in mind Angus is a creature of habit and even with a new singer I don't see what he may consider deep cuts to be revived. Especially ones they've never played live before (or rarely). Even Riff Raff I thought Angus sort of butchered at Coachella. 

You're right that these are unlikely. But we are in uncharted waters and with Axl, all things are possible. I think that for credibility's as well as popularity's sake, both Axl and Angus might well consider a few of the deep cuts - Angus has already tried Riff Raff now and doing the old ones would be a way to satisfy the fan base after all this commotion. I would be over the moon if I could hear Rocker. Big Balls/mistress for christmas would be fun songs for Axl to do but Night Prowler is just the slow, edgy, menacing tune that would be a total surprise and still be something that Axl would be just great at. 

Edited by The Archer

6 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

I just don't see what the point of continuing to play newer songs would even be? Even though it's still the Rock or Bust tour, this is a whole new band essentially. Knowing Axl, I'm sure he will give his opinions on some things, mainly set lists. We all know Axl looks up to Bon, but his feelings towards the Brian era might be different. I'm sure he loves BIB, who doesn't? But does he want to go out there and sing rock is bust? I doubt it. I'm sure they already talked about what songs they will and won't play. I know the tribute band singer had song what he was told, but not Axl. I'm expecting a 80% or more BON heavy sets.

4 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I just don't see what the point of continuing to play newer songs would even be? Even though it's still the Rock or Bust tour, this is a whole new band essentially. Knowing Axl, I'm sure he will give his opinions on some things, mainly set lists. We all know Axl looks up to Bon, but his feelings towards the Brian era might be different. I'm sure he loves BIB, who doesn't? But does he want to go out there and sing rock is bust? I doubt it. I'm sure they already talked about what songs they will and won't play. I know the tribute band singer had song what he was told, but not Axl. I'm expecting a 80% or more BON heavy sets.

I think 80% is a bit extreme. Right now the setlist has 9 bon songs out of 20. I can't see them cutting 7 of the 11 Brian songs. I agree with you in theory around dropping Rock or Bust, but they've based their whole intro to the concert around it. 

Personally I would be thrilled with an ENTIRELY different setlist - but just don't see that happening. The large majority of concert goers are casual fans, and if you drop too much that they know it kills the energy, unfortunately. They also have to be smart enough to realize there will be a fair # of GNR fans snapping up tickets, and I'd imagine for most of them (you) it will just be interesting to see your favorite singer doing entirely different tracks. I know if it were the other way around, I'd be interested in Brian fronting GNR but probably wouldn't care that much if he played songs like Coma versus whatever you would say is the GNR "greatest hits" setlist. 

Can someone please explain to me why ACDC fans are being giant hooray for tolerance!s about Axl? And even worse the fucking retarded solutions they have like Barnesy, or that tryhard poofter from Airbourne or suggesting they get in Brian impersonators?  But a singer from one of the most respected hard rock bands of all time, a respected vocalist at that and one that'd pull off the vibe of Bon Scott better than Brian Johnson ever could is an utter disaster?  Fuckin derro fuckwits.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Drama said:

Can someone please explain to me why ACDC fans are being giant hooray for tolerance!s about Axl? And even worse the fucking retarded solutions they have like Barnesy, or that tryhard poofter from Airbourne or suggesting they get in Brian impersonators?  But a singer from one of the most respected hard rock bands of all time, a respected vocalist at that and one that'd pull off the vibe of Bon Scott better than Brian Johnson ever could is an utter disaster?  Fuckin derro fuckwits.

Hey, you're the Australian here. Given AC/DC's history, you should be able to answer that question easier than any of us Americans could, lol. But you have to admit Axl has built up a lot of negative stuff over the years. His reputation is not good outside the diehard GN'R fanbase. His reputation is not good even within the GN'R fanbase itself, ha. But this also means low expectations provide an opportunity for him to blow everyone out of the water.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnny Drama said:

It doesn't make sense at all. It's just a case of them being blinded by loyalty towards Brian. 

4 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

I think 80% is a bit extreme. Right now the setlist has 9 bon songs out of 20. I can't see them cutting 7 of the 11 Brian songs. I agree with you in theory around dropping Rock or Bust, but they've based their whole intro to the concert around it. 

Personally I would be thrilled with an ENTIRELY different setlist - but just don't see that happening. The large majority of concert goers are casual fans, and if you drop too much that they know it kills the energy, unfortunately. They also have to be smart enough to realize there will be a fair # of GNR fans snapping up tickets, and I'd imagine for most of them (you) it will just be interesting to see your favorite singer doing entirely different tracks. I know if it were the other way around, I'd be interested in Brian fronting GNR but probably wouldn't care that much if he played songs like Coma versus whatever you would say is the GNR "greatest hits" setlist. 

For the large majority of casual concert goers to AC/DC shows, as long as Axl does the popular favorites, they'll be happy. Unfortunately, this might require singing YSMANL, Thunderstruck and FTATR. But, if they drop all the Brian era fluff and Axl aces the added Bon era deep cuts, hardcore fans would be over the moon (I know I would) and they're the ones that are making a lot of noise now.

2 minutes ago, The Archer said:

For the large majority of casual concert goers to AC/DC shows, as long as Axl does the popular favorites, they'll be happy. Unfortunately, this might require singing YSMANL, Thunderstruck and FTATR. But, if they drop all the Brian era fluff and Axl aces the added Bon era deep cuts, hardcore fans would be over the moon (I know I would) and they're the ones that are making a lot of noise now.

I agree the hardcore fans would be ...more satisfied. Although its a bit ironic because we've been hoping for deeper cuts for a while now and just might get it, albeit without Brian singing. 

I still don't know what to make of all of this. The initial set of Youtube videos from the Lisbon show will be must-watch. 

1 minute ago, goneshootin said:

I agree the hardcore fans would be ...more satisfied. Although its a bit ironic because we've been hoping for deeper cuts for a while now and just might get it, albeit without Brian singing. 

I still don't know what to make of all of this. The initial set of Youtube videos from the Lisbon show will be must-watch. 

Yes, indeed. I'm hoping for Periscopes!

21 minutes ago, Johnny Drama said:

Outside GNR fanbase, Axl is considered as egomaniac, bithcy brat, fan ignorant and so on and so on...

Well, great deal of casual GNR fans share that opinion.

Add bad image of him for late shows, riot starting and voice problems in past and you get easy target for haters around the world.

AC/DC is all that reversed ...

For GNR / AcDc fans likeme - this is great mix in this situation, but for rest of the (rock) world...