Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

51 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What a load of shite. Have you ever heard Axl sing a slow blues? Brian can do that. Brian can sing everything from blues to metal, with nods to pop and soul inbetween. He is like a white James Brown. Axl is just a shrieky little wanker from Sunset Strip. Brian is a proper singer.

Hmmm, you're not talking singing really, your talking manhood. You think Brian is better because he is more manly than Axl, with is hat and muscles, but that is your point of view. Some women prefers truckers, other prefers androgynous rock stars with a crazed look, to each it's own.

2 minutes ago, Asia said:

No chance he'll win the AC/DC fans over. He will get his ass kicked so hard by the AC/DC fans and the press and who knows, maybe also Angus, that he won't be able to sit down throughout the entire GNR tour. But, on the other hand, maybe that's good. Maybe that's exactly what he needs to put him back in the right place. There's a good chance this one month will be the biggest reality check he's had in the last 30 years.

See, maybe it won't be a disaster for the GN'R tour. :P

19 minutes ago, Asia said:

No chance he'll win the AC/DC fans over. He will get his ass kicked so hard by the AC/DC fans and the press and who knows, maybe also Angus, that he won't be able to sit down throughout the entire GNR tour. But, on the other hand, maybe that's good. Maybe that's exactly what he needs to put him back in the right place. There's a good chance this one month will be the biggest reality check he's had in the last 30 years.

Yeah, I absolutely dream of getting the whole Canter footage and the entire UYI footage, especially from 1991.

No chance? Really? That's your opinion. The point of my post was that it has happened once before. AC/DC fans were a forgiving lot once. Bon was a beloved frontman. To this day, there are die hard fans who prefer him over Brian. But they've accepted Brian because he sang the shit out of the songs. If you doubt that Axl can do that, you are underestimating him as a singer. I for one would be pissed off at him if he went full on Mickey without any preparation or rehearsal on any of the AC/DC material. But, I think there is a good chance that that won't happen. Axl can't phone in this one. I believe he'll be there and be on the ball. If the AC/DC press machine does its job and Axl delivers the way Brian delivered after Bon died, the AC/DC fandom will very quickly be won over.

Edited by The Archer

1 minute ago, The Archer said:

No chance? Really? That's your opinion. The point of my post was that it has happened once before. AC/DC fans were a forgiving lot once. Bon was a beloved frontman. To this day, there are die hard fans who prefer him over Brian. But they accepted Brian because he sang the shit out of the material. If you doubt that Axl can do that, you are underestimating him as a singer. I for one would be pissed off at him if he went full on Mickey without any preparation or rehearsal on any of the AC/DC material. But, I think there is a good chance that that won't happen. Axl can't phone in this one. I believe he'll be there and be on the ball If the AC/DC press machine does its job and Axl delivers the way Brian delivered after Bon died, the AC/DC fandom will very quickly be won over.

It is a different situation though. Malcolm is gone. Phil Rudd is gone. At this point it's just two classic members (Angus and Cliff). At least when Brian joined, you still had Angus/Malcolm/Cliff/Phil. I think a lot of people feel it's just an AC/DC tribute band at this point. Can't blame them for feeling that way. Bunch of people rightfully felt the same way about Axl's nu-GN'R as well. 

2 minutes ago, The Archer said:

No chance? Really? That's your opinion. The point of my post was that it has happened once before. AC/DC fans were a forgiving lot once. Bon was a beloved frontman. To this day, there are die hard fans who prefer him over Brian. But they accepted Brian because he sang the shit out of the material. If you doubt that Axl can do that, you are underestimating him as a singer. I for one would be pissed off at him if he went full on Mickey without any preparation or rehearsal on any of the AC/DC material. But, I think there is a good chance that that won't happen. Axl can't phone in this one. I believe he'll be there and be on the ball If the AC/DC press machine does its job and Axl delivers the way Brian delivered after Bon died, the AC/DC fandom will very quickly be won over.

How many years ago was that? Plus, I'm not an AC/DC fan but didn't Bon Scott die? While now AC/DC threw Brian Johnson out? Whcih means now the fans are real pissed? Plus I can't see Axl killing it on Highway to Hell or Thunderstruck or other songs of this type. Sorry. I like the guy but I just can't see it happening.

Just now, Asia said:

How many years ago was that? Plus, I'm not an AC/DC fan but didn't Bon Scott die? While now AC/DC threw Brian Johnson out? Whcih means now the fans are real pissed? Plus I can't see Axl killing it on Highway to Hell or Thunderstruck or other songs of this type. Sorry. I like the guy but I just can't see it happening.

Highway to Hell is not more difficult than Whole Lotta Rosie or Riff Raff and he nailed both of those on Saturday. Thunderstruck is really tough. I think he should stay away from that one. 

33 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

It is a different situation though. Malcolm is gone. Phil Rudd is gone. At this point it's just two classic members (Angus and Cliff). At least when Brian joined, you still had Angus/Malcolm/Cliff/Phil. I think a lot of people feel it's just an AC/DC tribute band at this point. Can't blame them for feeling that way. Bunch of people rightfully felt the same way about Axl's nu-GN'R as well. 

Yeah, I know. But that doesn't mean that they won't turn up for the shows. A lot of us loved GN'R even when it had only Axl from the AFD5 and there were a lot of people who slagged off the 'Axl Rose solo project' but they still went to see GN'R and often praised Axl and the rest of the band's performances. Compared to them, the present situation with AC/DC has been a more organic, (though tragic) process with only Angus left from the first pre-Bon AC/DC line up. However, AC/DC is unique in a way - it's really Angus who's been the frontman. He's always outshone the previous three frontmen and the focus during the live shows has mostly been on him. He's also the leader of the band, the way Axl is in GN'R. Cliff and Chris have their fans too. So, people will still turn up. Now, if Axl were to butcher the songs, the backlash would be just as bad as when Ashba/Robin/Bumble didn't do justice to Slash in the eyes of the original line-up diehards. But Axl CAN sing those songs and if they hear the classic Bon era songs pulled out and done well, many of these people will be over the moon. Plus, it won't be some no name guy from Airboune singing them, it'll be Axl Rose.

Edited by The Archer

13 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Highway to Hell is not more difficult than Whole Lotta Rosie or Riff Raff and he nailed both of those on Saturday. Thunderstruck is really tough. I think he should stay away from that one. 

Well, I wouldn't say it isn't. It's full high pitched raspy shriek start to finish. Ideal for perfect Micky Mouse effect. Whole Lotta Rosie is much lower.

9 minutes ago, Asia said:

Well, I wouldn't say it isn't. It's full high pitched raspy shriek start to finish. Ideal for perfect Micky Mouse effect. Whole Lotta Rosie is much lower.

Other than the intro part, Axl sings Whole Lotta Rosie in full high pitched raspy shriek. Mickey didn't show up the other night, although he is certainly able to jump in at any moment. 

I feel bad for Axl.  I know this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for him but AC/DC fans will shit on him if they aren't already.  I hope he ends up winning them over.

That said, I think he should be focusing on the reunion rather than singing songs he didn't write in a band he didn't create.  It's not like Guns N' Roses are not active again.  They are, and for the first time in 23 years.  No need to distance himself from that after all the wasted years.

His voice is not stellar and hasn't been for years now, so I don't want him using what is left of it with people who will not appreciate it, i.e. AC/DC fans.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Asia said:

Whether AC/DC threw Brian out, or he couldn't perform anymore and left of his own volition, is still open to debate. What isn't in doubt is that Brian Johnson's voice was no longer the same and he wasn't performing at a very high level live compared to his prime - it really wasn't at his best even when Thunderstruck was recorded in 1990. Further, he simply isn't great on it live. Not as good as he was on the original audio/video. In a live performance, Axl should easily be able to better Brian on Thunderstruck. As for HTH, that's Bon era material, and if Axl can ace WLR, he can ace any of the Bon era material. I think that the only issue he will have is covering SOME of the AC/DC songs from Brian's first two albums. It's not going to be a problem if the focus is on Bon era material which is what many fans prefer anyway. Axl will KILL songs like TNT, Let there be Rock, High Voltage, If you want Blood and a dozen others. Not to mention stuff like Riff Raff or Gone shooting that AC/DC fans haven't heard in a long time.

Edited by The Archer

11 minutes ago, JoGer99 said:

A question...when does AC /DC go on stage an when does the set end ?

9:00 to 11:00 like clockwork. Marginally shorter most of the time. About 20 minutes of that set is dedicated to extended Angus solos. So, a whole hour and forty minutes for Axl to perform. I can certainly see how difficult this will be to do a whole 12 times before the Guns two and a half hour shows. How will he manage? ;) 

But seriously though, I think we'll see him in vocal shape and on time. Angus wouldn't hire him otherwise so clearly he was impressed with Axl's apparent newfound professionalism. While it's true that there are difficult AC/DC songs, I'd be a lot more worried if there were 50 shows followed by 80 Guns shows. Then there'd be a better case for him blowing his voice. Even Brian has adjusted how he sang Thunderstruck live so I know Axl will do no less on that one (arguably the hardest of the bunch).

@Asia I still say you're putting way too much faith in the whole trending business. Even without the AC/DC stuff, I doubt the Mexico GNR shows would trend highly. Why would they? The initial questions about the reunion have been answered in regards to Axl (how will he sound, will he sit, will he show up on time, etc...) so on the grand scheme of things the Mexico shows are just the latest in the tour. They're sold out so there's no need for the management to spend more money on promotion. Aside from us diehard fans watching Periscope streams and noting set list changes, there's nothing for the media to pick up on.

Nobody here is picking sides - one can be excited for both. Put both bands aside for a second and think about just Axl. If he shows up on time and does his thing, he'll prove the naysayers wrong. How could this not help his public persona and subsequently GNR sales? Not that the GNR sales need much help mind you - they're selling fine. How is Axl promoting AC/DC more than Guns? Because he made one Tweet? The rest is the media. Is Slash also not allowed to record with Myles then? None of the big three have done interviews yet so just sit tight.

I would say (as a whole) guns songs are more difficult vocally than AC/DCs. Sure their might be some exceptions, Back in Black and thunderstuck, but for the most part I don't think Axl will have much of a problem at all. Vocally Axl has proven guns catalogue is FAR more difficult vocally than AC/DC. The man has been doing a damn good job on coma live here recently, So I can't see you shook me all night long being much trouble.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

28 minutes ago, JoGer99 said:

A question...when does AC /DC go on stage an when does the set end ?

Axl has always said he goes on stage when he's ready.    Wonder if he'll suddenly/coincidentally be ready at exact show time with ACDC.   

1 minute ago, Original said:

Axl has always said he goes on stage when he's ready.    Wonder if he'll suddenly/coincidentally be ready at exact show time with ACDC.   

I doubt that. If it was a one off, then maybe. But 10 shows, over a month long tour, I find it hard to believe. That is yes, he'll be punctual, just as he is with Guns, won't be three hours late, just 40 minutes or sixty or half an hour. Can't believe he will be prompt. And if so, then he should obviously join AC/DC if it is just Guns fans and band members that he shits at.

6 minutes ago, Asia said:

I doubt that. If it was a one off, then maybe. But 10 shows, over a month long tour, I find it hard to believe. That is yes, he'll be punctual, just as he is with Guns, won't be three hours late, just 40 minutes or sixty or half an hour. Can't believe he will be prompt. And if so, then he should obviously join AC/DC if it is just Guns fans and band members that he shits at.

This whole Axl going on late business isn't even an issue any more....was 7 minutes late at Coachella, no more than 10 late Vegas night two.  Yes, they were late at Vegas night one, but I don't think this was entirely if at all Axls fault.

29 minutes ago, Asia said:

If Axl kills it with AC/DC and any resultant positive press helps Guns, BUT he happens to be on time at the shows, you'll have good reason to continue criticizing this.... you are just so negative about the whole thing. Why not wait for at least the first show or any public comment from GN'R?

Edited by The Archer

15 minutes ago, Original said:

Well Agnus Young is the boss now, so well I doubt Axl will be late. 

6 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

This whole Axl going on late business isn't even an issue any more....was 7 minutes late at Coachella, no more than 10 late Vegas night two.  Yes, they were late at Vegas night one, but I don't think this was entirely if at all Axls fault.

Of course it wasn't. When was it? ;)