Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

10 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

The guy quoted most frequently in that article, Jesse Fink, wrote a hatchet job book about Angus and Malcolm so he's just sticking with his agenda. (I believe he did the same about Axl but could be wrong). The part about the other members being on contract is interesting if true. I could see them having Chris Slade on contract, and Axl obviously as a temporary guy, but if I were Cliff Williams and my status was changed after 40 years I wouldn't be too thrilled!

2 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

The guy quoted most frequently in that article, Jesse Fink, wrote a hatchet job book about Angus and Malcolm so he's just sticking with his agenda. (I believe he did the same about Axl but could be wrong). The part about the other members being on contract is interesting if true. I could see them having Chris Slade on contract, and Axl obviously as a temporary guy, but if I were Cliff Williams and my status was changed after 40 years I wouldn't be too thrilled!

Good to know, glad I didnt check out that book then..lol

Yeah, I found the contract bit pretty interesting as well. Its possible though, since only Angus is the only Original Left(hmm...wonder where we've seen this before), it wouldnt be that far fetched that as Mal started to lose his mind, Angus swooped in and took all the control

18 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Yeah I was just reading it too. My response to that for the AC/DC fans is welcome to our world. GN'R fans are still standing after all the bullshit Axl has put us through over the last 25 years. AC/DC was an easy band to be a fan of. They never challenged their fans' patience either with their tour antics or with the type of material they put out. The fans knew exactly what to expect and now Angus is fucking with them big time. But you know what stands the test of time is the music from so many years ago. That is why the GN'R fanbase is still loyal. The music kicked ass and we still love it, no matter what kind of crap Axl pulls.

Nicely said!  There is a shit ton of bickering here however without an intense passion and love for GNR the bickering wouldn't exist

24 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I thought the most interesting bit was that FOUR cover band singers, Steven Tyler and Axl all auditioned. If Angus went for Axl, he clearly didn't late times, Axl's reputation in general or Mickey hamper his decision.

5 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Good to know, glad I didnt check out that book then..lol

Yeah, I found the contract bit pretty interesting as well. Its possible though, since only Angus is the only Original Left(hmm...wonder where we've seen this before), it wouldnt be that far fetched that as Mal started to lose his mind, Angus swooped in and took all the control

Angus definitely has taken control. And yeah technically he is the only original but I don't think you can put a 39 year veteran in the same league as Slade, Stevie Young, or Axl. 

It is going to be interesting to see what their setlist is. (And for those of you who aren't familiar with AC/DC, don't expect nightly changes, whatever 20 songs Axl sings he will sing for every show unless one of them goes horrifically wrong). 

Common thought seems to be some Bon stuff...but I wouldn't anticipate something drastically different than their current set. I would imagine they had Axl rehearse most of those songs down in Atlanta and presumably he pulled it off quite well. 

1 minute ago, goneshootin said:

Angus definitely has taken control. And yeah technically he is the only original but I don't think you can put a 39 year veteran in the same league as Slade, Stevie Young, or Axl. 

Axl is likely getting a bigger cut than Cliff. Angus is counting on GN'R/Axl fans along with casual rock fans to buy tickets due to the novelty of Axl joining the group. But I also think Axl would do the job for peanuts. Teenage dream come true for him to sing with Angus.

4 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

It is going to be interesting to see what their setlist is. (And for those of you who aren't familiar with AC/DC, don't expect nightly changes, whatever 20 songs Axl sings he will sing for every show unless one of them goes horrifically wrong). 

Common thought seems to be some Bon stuff...but I wouldn't anticipate something drastically different than their current set. I would imagine they had Axl rehearse most of those songs down in Atlanta and presumably he pulled it off quite well. 

I agree. It's also still, for all intents and purposes, the tour supporting Rock or Bust. At the very least, the title track will still be the opener at every show. The postponed leg only had two ROB tracks, whereas the previous leg had three. That could change down to one (the title track) in order to make room for some more Bon stuff. I'll be really anxious to see the set list from the first gig!

5 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

The cover band singer did say that he did the entire Rock or Bust setlist. Almost half of that set are Bon era songs. I'm hoping for more though. I'm hoping that Axl pulled out some rarely sung Bon gem for his audition instead of singing just Riff Raff/Rosie. Gone Shootin', Kicked in the teeth, IALWTTTIYWRNR, anything. New singer - really the best time to shake it up Angus!!

Edited by The Archer

6 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I thought the most interesting bit was that FOUR cover band singers, Steven Tyler and Axl all auditioned. If Angus went for Axl, he clearly didn't late times, Axl's reputation in general or Mickey hamper his decision.

Maybe just a business decision all-around. Which one was guaranteed to create more publicity? Which one probably has more diehard fans willing to buy a ticket in place of pissed off AC/DC fans? Which one has a mega reunion tour generating a ton of buzz in its own right? I think everyone respects Tyler but from a business standpoint it's a no-brainer regardless of Uncle Axl's baggage.

4 minutes ago, The Archer said:

You make a good observation. Axl must have had a great audition for him to be picked, and have his faults ignored.

3 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Anything is possible in this crazy Rock n Roll business. especially since Cliff is only the Bass player, and doesnt write any songs. If any positions in the bands are easy to demote it is Drummers and Bassists. It would be kinda fucked up of course, but business is business and AC/DC is a corporation at this point raking in lots of Dough

I agree in that sense as well. If Angus Chose Axl, then they probably ran through all the primary songs that they play and maybe let him throw in some old ones. I dont believe they would get rid of the Brian Johnson era songs, since those are some of their most famous and well known tunes which people like. 

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Maybe just a business decision all-around. Which one was guaranteed to create more publicity? Which one probably has more diehard fans willing to buy a ticket in place of pissed off AC/DC fans? Which one has a mega reunion tour generating a ton of buzz in its own right? I think everyone respects Tyler but from a business standpoint it's a no-brainer regardless of Uncle Axl's baggage.

Steven Tyler is a big name and a pretty good singer, but no way can he sing AC/DC. From a business+vocal+publicity standpoint, Axl is a no-brainer. It would be awesome to find out how Axl's hat was tossed into the ring.

Just now, The Archer said:

Steven Tyler is a big name and a pretty good singer, but no way can he sing AC/DC. From a business+vocal+publicity standpoint, Axl is a no-brainer. It would be awesome to find out how Axl's hat was tossed into the ring.

If it's Mickey Axl, then you might as well just have Tyler. But if Axl brings some grit and rasp, then he is much better for the AC/DC material no doubt about it. I think there would be an interesting book if Axl wanted to write it about all the shit that has gone down in the last couple years between him, Duff, Slash, and now Angus. Talk about a bunch of moving parts behind the scenes.

Read that Brian fans aren't happy about Axl replacing him as AC/DC 's singer.

I understand it, but don't blame Axl for it. Give him a chance.

We all feel badly for Brian, but do we want the man to lose his hearing or worse? Shit happens and I commend AC/DC for wanting to finish their tour with a well known frontman like Axl.

I think after this AC/DC will probably retire from touring or performing all together. it sucks, but no one said life was easy.

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Read that Brian fans aren't happy about Axl replacing him as AC/DC 's singer.

I understand it, but don't blame Axl for it. Give him a chance.

We all feel badly for Brian, but do we want the man to lose his hearing or worse? Shit happens and I commend AC/DC for wanting to finish their tour with a well known frontman like Axl.

I think after this AC/DC will probably retire from touring or performing all together. it sucks, but no one said life was easy.

Brian is pretty optimistic in his statement that he can continue in a studio capacity, so it'll be very interesting to see what their future holds.

1 minute ago, James Bond said:

If Cliff leaves, just bring in Duff. Call the band Guns N' DC. Forget the hybrid reunion line-up, we'll have a hybrid band.

In all seriousness I hope Cliff goes nowhere. He's a great bassist and highly underrated.

Out of likes. Great point.

4 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

If it's Mickey Axl, then you might as well just have Tyler. But if Axl brings some grit and rasp, then he is much better for the AC/DC material no doubt about it. I think there would be an interesting book if Axl wanted to write it about all the shit that has gone down in the last couple years between him, Duff, Slash, and now Angus. Talk about a bunch of moving parts behind the scenes.

Honestly, if Mickey shows up, I will go full on Asia and lose it over Axl/DC.

• Like 1

This is gonna be like a trainwreck- you can't help but watch. It could go either way- fantastic or -an epic fail. I would get tickets if they were coming anywhere remotely near me.

Bonus for 'DC fans is they will finally get a different setlist from what I understand their set is more stale than gnfnrs. I get why AC/DC fans are upset, but why would they miss the opportunity to see their band mix it up? They've had the same thing for years upon years. 

As long as it doesn't affect gnr's ability to tour it doesn't bother me and I'm looking forward to all the footage from the shows.

6 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I read something the other day about Q-Prime Management and Peter Mensch being the management behind AC/DC and the current tour. It made me wonder if that same management haven't quietly been part of the GNR reunion and saw an opportunity for cross promotion, not to knock Team Brasil efforts but the roll out of the GNR comeback smacks of some heavy hitters being involved also.

It was just a hunch though and might be way off mark.

6 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

True, but I think that with some sort of peace now reigning in GN'R land, it isn't a book but a movie that would be ideal. Leo Di Caprio with long hair would be a perfect Axl.

Just now, The Archer said:

True, but I think that with some sort of peace now reigning in GN'R land, it isn't a book but a movie that would be ideal. Leo Di Caprio with long hair would be a perfect Axl.

Thing is I don't feel all the moving parts are even done yet. Adler and Izzy will be part of this at some point. Just my gut feeling. Appetite 30th anniversary next year seems appropriate. I'd be curious to see the promoter side of everything. Given Axl's reputation and some of the anonymous quotes from promoters who were very skeptical, you wonder just what kind of language is in those contracts.

12 minutes ago, The Archer said:

The cover band singer did say that he did the entire Rock or Bust setlist. Almost half of that set are Bon era songs. I'm hoping for more though. I'm hoping that Axl pulled out some rarely sung Bon gem for his audition instead of singing just Riff Raff/Rosie. Gone Shootin', Kicked in the teeth, IALWTTTIYWRNR, anything. New singer - really the best time to shake it up Angus!!

They have previously said they won't play "Long Way to the Top" as it was seen as Bon's song. Brian never played it. 

Of the current/most recent AC/DC setlist, here's my thoughts:

Rock or Bust - STAYS - if for no reason other than its the name of the tour

Shoot to Thrill - NOT SURE - a staple song, but not as big with casual fans as some others, and could see Axl not sounding great. 

Hell Aint a Bad Place to Be - STAYS - Bon Era song that the band seems to love playing

Back in Black - STAYS - one of the biggest hits

Got Some Rock N Roll Thunder - DROP - not a great song to begin with and its from the "new" album 

Dirty Deeds - STAYS - big hit, could see Axl adding a nice sound to this

Thunderstruck - DROP - Angus has struggled with the guitar parts and I think Axl will struggle with the vocals. Hugely popular song but this could be a trainwreck

High Voltage - STAYS

Rock N Roll Train- DROP - not that well known among casual fans and could be replaced with a bon-era song

Hells Bells - NOT SURE - a staple song, and they have the huge bell as part of the stage show, but not sure about Axl singing this

Given the Dog a Bone - DROP - I'd like to hear Axl sing this but it was never a big hit and if you're looking to fill in some Bon stuff, this one goes. 

Sin City - STAYS - good song for Axl

You Shook Me all night long - STAYS - biggest hit for AC/DC

Shot Down in Flames - STAYS - another Bon era song

Have a Drink on Me - DROP - see my thoughts on Givin the dog a bone. In reality they may keep one and drop one

TNT, Whole Lotta Rosie, Let there Be Rock, Highway to Hell - STAYS - see "You shook me" above. 

For those about to Rock - NOT SURE. This has been their closing song for many tours and yes they have the cannons but I think it will be rough on Axl's vocal style. Since this has become the Angus show now, I could see them making Let there Be Rock (with Angus' extended solo) as the closer. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

They have previously said they won't play "Long Way to the Top" as it was seen as Bon's song. Brian never played it. 

Of the current/most recent AC/DC setlist, here's my thoughts:

Rock or Bust - STAYS - if for no reason other than its the name of the tour

Shoot to Thrill - NOT SURE - a staple song, but not as big with casual fans as some others, and could see Axl not sounding great. 

Hell Aint a Bad Place to Be - STAYS - Bon Era song that the band seems to love playing

Back in Black - STAYS - one of the biggest hits

Got Some Rock N Roll Thunder - DROP - not a great song to begin with and its from the "new" album 

Dirty Deeds - STAYS - big hit, could see Axl adding a nice sound to this

Thunderstruck - DROP - Angus has struggled with the guitar parts and I think Axl will struggle with the vocals. Hugely popular song but this could be a trainwreck

High Voltage - STAYS

Rock N Roll Train- DROP - not that well known among casual fans and could be replaced with a bon-era song

Hells Bells - NOT SURE - a staple song, and they have the huge bell as part of the stage show, but not sure about Axl singing this

Given the Dog a Bone - DROP - I'd like to hear Axl sing this but it was never a big hit and if you're looking to fill in some Bon stuff, this one goes. 

Sin City - STAYS - good song for Axl

You Shook Me all night long - STAYS - biggest hit for AC/DC

Shot Down in Flames - STAYS - another Bon era song

Have a Drink on Me - DROP - see my thoughts on Givin the dog a bone. In reality they may keep one and drop one

TNT, Whole Lotta Rosie, Let there Be Rock, Highway to Hell - STAYS - see "You shook me" above. 

For those about to Rock - NOT SURE. This has been their closing song for many tours and yes they have the cannons but I think it will be rough on Axl's vocal style. Since this has become the Angus show now, I could see them making Let there Be Rock (with Angus' extended solo) as the closer. 

Riff Raff is bound to make the list right? Surely Angus would not play it for the first time in 20 years as a GN'R guest and then refuse to play it for the AC/DC shows. That would be a pretty big kick in the nuts for AC/DC fans.