The pizza thread

ZoSoRose

22 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Sauce then cheese then topping, where are you? i thought all pizzas were made the same.

i thought so too! Thats the order I understand.  Cheese is on top here - it comes off or loosens as a congealed slab with first bite!  And the toppings are locked inside of it, so not cooked the way they are if they're on top.  Pepperoni is plain slimy - not like  soft New York pepperoni, just slimy.

Im in Ontario, Canada.  And I moved from with in the same Province.  

1 hour ago, soon said:

i thought so too! Thats the order I understand.  Cheese is on top here - it comes off or loosens as a congealed slab with first bite!  And the toppings are locked inside of it, so not cooked the way they are if they're on top.  Pepperoni is plain slimy - not like  soft New York pepperoni, just slimy.

Im in Ontario, Canada.  And I moved from with in the same Province.  

Say what? What chain are you talking about..That sounds like it may be Pizza Hut..if so, stay far away! Other than that, please don't spread this horrible rumour that in Ontario we put our toppings inside the cheese :lol: 

Jan and millionsofspiders already think we are crazy enough with our tea habits ok? :P

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Say what? What chain are you talking about..That sounds like it may be Pizza Hut..if so, stay far away! Other than that, please don't spread this horrible rumour that in Ontario we put our toppings inside the cheese :lol: 

Jan and millionsofspiders already think we are crazy enough with our tea habits ok? :P

Godfather's Pizza does that and i hate that! when i have pizza ( which is rare ) i want some kind of meat topping and i want that meat CRISP! cheese on top of the toppings is a sacrilege! :facepalm:

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Godfather's Pizza does that and i hate that! when i have pizza ( which is rare ) i want some kind of meat topping and i want that meat CRISP! cheese on top of the toppings is a sacrilege! :facepalm:

Ya I like when the pepperoni kind of curls up at the edges..

Just now, Whiskey Rose said:

Ya I like when the pepperoni kind of curls up at the edges..

oh yes! damn i want a pepperoni pizza now!

On 3/26/2017 at 5:47 PM, wasted said:

I love mayo. I used it for the prawn cocktail, cole slaw, and on salad and then the pizza. 

It really sucks about the artery clogging thing. I went to this Korean buffet and everything was deep fried. They had burgers and ice cream. It was unlimited. It was a bad day for life expectancy. 

ok i hate to admit this but sometimes i put some salad with ranch dressing on my pizza! but no mayo *shudders* :P

31 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

No - Im saying one city in Ontario!  Where I moved from was also in Ontario and the pizza was amazing!  Even Pizza Pizza puts cheese on top here.  Ha!  My Grampa would've loved that tea comment!!

In fact I mentioned to someone a minute ago that people from around the world agreed that this is weird pizza and they got a bit angry!!  :lol:

And to all who are supporting the cheese on bottom thing, Im outta likes, but you'd all be getting them! 

31 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

The toppings should theoretically not be over-done or charred if you bake with the cheese/sauce on top. 

It's kind of like cooking your meat low and slow. It'll be tender and just right.

Detroit Style, Chicago Style, and some others use this approach.

Some like more BBQ style, that's cool. Different strokes. 

I love Chicago pizza!  And even the deep dish at pizza hot.  But this is a different beast.  Not at all deep dish.

But yeah, different strokes.

Wish that applied to me when I order pizza with cheese on bottom - Im close to being chased outa town!  :lol:

looking at pizza pictures and suddenly I could even smell pizza.  Then I remembered Im simmering meat balls in marinara.

Which also reminded me:

I was on buzzed and they gave four options for pizza sauce, but none off them were called "pizza sauce"  marinara was closest to what Id be used to.  Others were alfredo, bbq, etc.

For me a thin, very briefly cooked tomato sauce featuring oregano is pizza sauce.

What is a basic pizza sauce where you live?  Is it called pizza sauce, is it marinara or something else?  Please share

Marinara and pizza sauce are interchangeable to most people.

The correct answer to the easier discussion about cheese or toppings on top, is both. Toppings on top, light dusting of cheese over them. This is so caramelization of cheese can happen even in places covered by toppings, without interfering with the caramelization of the toppings themselves. Observe:

20170331_201526.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Marinara and pizza sauce are interchangeable to most people.

The correct answer to the easier discussion about cheese or toppings on top, is both. Toppings on top, light dusting of cheese over them. This is so caramelization of cheese can happen even in places covered by toppings, without interfering with the caramelization of the toppings themselves. Observe:

20170331_201526.jpg

correct! and, if so desired, a light drizzle of a good olive oil. NO red pepper flakes! :P

6 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i love that show! hmmm does anyone remember Straw Hat Pizza? they had these kinda sorta calzones, i think they were called hot hats? they had one that had pastrami in it...it was really good :)

I love that show too!  I dont remember Straw hat Pizza.  Pastrami in a calzone sounds delectable!  

I should keep my grocery list and a pen next to me when Im on here!

9 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Straw Hat is probably a chain place that you might not have there? but yeah it was good! have you ever gone to one of those sites where you can get recipes that are like from restaurants? i think one is called copycat recipes?

Yeah, might not have been here.  

I do use those sites!  In pursuit of the ever elusive KFC secret mostly.  thanks to them I have homemade heinz ketchup and french's mustard.  Should check for these pastrami calzones!

Have you tried any of the copy cats?

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, might not have been here.  

I do use those sites!  In pursuit of the ever elusive KFC secret mostly.  thanks to them I have homemade heinz ketchup and french's mustard.  Should check for these pastrami calzones!

Have you tried any of the copy cats?

yeah i tried the Popeye's red beans and rice but honestly if i want to make that mine is better than the copycat one! :P

the secret is a bit of chipotle pepper and liquid smoke ;)