Ever feel completely out of your depth?

Graeme

I actually haven't seen that one yet, oh @Len Cnut... You wish to dabble into screenplay writing, right? - A proposition project - to try and make some money, above board;

A parody, or whatever... Modern/Horror/Carry On'esqeue called Scary On ... 

Collaboration co written with dirty jokes/innuendos the works. 

We could have Purple Aki jokes at with our non legally offending PappyTron parody in Scary On Feel My Aki?

Edited by Snake-Pit

Just now, Snake-Pit said:

I actually haven't seen that one yet, oh @Len Cnut... You wish to dabble into screenplay writing, right? - A proposition project - to try and make some money, above board;

A parody, or whatever... Modern/Horror/Carry On'esqeue called Scary On ... 

We could have Purple Aki jokes at with our non legally offending PappyTron parody in Scary On Feel My Aki?

A spoof?!?  How dare you, I'm an artist! :lol:

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Nah, you're alright, you're enough genius for this forum!

Feeling out of your depth, Len?

C'mon, it'll be fun, all you have to do is write.

If someone buys it, work on it. Get them to give you/us a job if they ever produce it.

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

How do you go to old firm derbys and then bottle it from a conference?  I mean whats the worst you can possibly do at said conference, no ones gonna smack you in the eye or nothing.

Different phenomena, Leonard.

In my conscious, decision-making brain, I don't have a problem with speaking at a conference and I am well aware that no-one's going to smack me in the eye.

What we're talking about is something subconscious, not controlled by rational thought or attitude that leads to a physical reaction which makes that public speaking much more difficult.

I actually love getting up on stage and playing in front of people, in my conscious mind I'm happy to do it. However, EVERY time I do, I acutely experience the physical symptoms of performance-related anxiety, I sweat, I shake violently (it makes playing the guitar an absolute bitch), my throat gets tight and dry, if I've eaten food, I'm likely to lose it. This is nothing to do with 'having bottle' because I have no conscious control over this; consciously I've made the decision to get up in front of an audience and perform, and I'm perfectly comfortable with that. A part of me over which I have no control is clearly very uncomfortable with it though, and it makes my job more difficult.

Same thing with the conference, only I'm worse at public speaking than I am at singing and playing the guitar, so the irrational reaction is more noticeable and more likely to have a detrimental effect on my overall performance, which makes the conscious part of my brain more reluctant to undertake said activity. During the presentation I gave yesterday, if you'd given me a glass of water and asked me to hold it steady, it would have gone all over the floor, but no conscious decision I could make would alter that.

At an Old Firm derby, aye your heart rate is high, but I'm not the one performing, so I don't experience the same physical reaction.

It's also not the same as the outright fear-for-your life kind of fear I've experienced on volcanoes where both your rational and subconscious mind are aware of the fact that everything might not be alright...

On 09/29/2016 at 4:43 PM, Graeme said:

I had to give a presentation today to a panel, stakes were high (this is the stage at which it's decided if you get to submit for a PhD or not), nailed it. Panel concluded "you're a million miles away from having any problems". Feel slightly less out of my depth. :)

Gee, it's almost as if you're very qualified and knowledgeable in your field and had a panel reinforce as such. I know you don't drink, but may I suggest you use your native drink in the way I do? I cop my buzz on cheap shit, I celebrate occasions with my Scotch. You had a great presentation, have a few fingers of Scotch, and don't over think.

12 hours ago, Graeme said:

Different phenomena, Leonard.

In my conscious, decision-making brain, I don't have a problem with speaking at a conference and I am well aware that no-one's going to smack me in the eye.

What we're talking about is something subconscious, not controlled by rational thought or attitude that leads to a physical reaction which makes that public speaking much more difficult.

I actually love getting up on stage and playing in front of people, in my conscious mind I'm happy to do it. However, EVERY time I do, I acutely experience the physical symptoms of performance-related anxiety, I sweat, I shake violently (it makes playing the guitar an absolute bitch), my throat gets tight and dry, if I've eaten food, I'm likely to lose it. This is nothing to do with 'having bottle' because I have no conscious control over this; consciously I've made the decision to get up in front of an audience and perform, and I'm perfectly comfortable with that. A part of me over which I have no control is clearly very uncomfortable with it though, and it makes my job more difficult.

Same thing with the conference, only I'm worse at public speaking than I am at singing and playing the guitar, so the irrational reaction is more noticeable and more likely to have a detrimental effect on my overall performance, which makes the conscious part of my brain more reluctant to undertake said activity. During the presentation I gave yesterday, if you'd given me a glass of water and asked me to hold it steady, it would have gone all over the floor, but no conscious decision I could make would alter that.

At an Old Firm derby, aye your heart rate is high, but I'm not the one performing, so I don't experience the same physical reaction.

It's also not the same as the outright fear-for-your life kind of fear I've experienced on volcanoes where both your rational and subconscious mind are aware of the fact that everything might not be alright...

Thats what i mean man, if you can do one the other should be a piece of piss.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 7:27 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

Lorazepam

there is not enough lorazepam in the world to make me feel comfortable speaking in front of a crowd of people. it's one of the worst things i ever have had to do. i felt really bad cos when my dad passed i could not even manage to stand up and say anything about him. :( 

7 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

there is not enough lorazepam in the world to make me feel comfortable speaking in front of a crowd of people. it's one of the worst things i ever have had to do. i felt really bad cos when my dad passed i could not even manage to stand up and say anything about him. :( 

I'm sorry, that's a shame. It is a real affliction though..anxiety is not necessarily something you can "pep talk" yourself out of, as the body simply takes over... I was being a little facetious by just plunking that word into this thread, but I was also being serious about the idea; sometimes medication can help put a cocoon, or buffer, around the sufferer. Not always though, and sometimes it takes trial and error to find the right fit.

And I'm sure your dad, and everyone else, understands. :hug:  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Whiskey Rose said:

I'm sorry, that's a shame. It is a real affliction though..anxiety is not necessarily something you can "pep talk" yourself out of, as the body simply takes over... I was being a little facetious by just plunking that word into this thread, but I was also being serious about the idea; sometimes medication can help put a cocoon, or buffer, around the sufferer. Not always though, and sometimes it takes trial and error to find the right fit.

you're so nice :)

yes i know well about anxiety. the first panic attack i had i was driving down the freeway and i thought i was having a stroke though i was very young. my hands went numb, my face went numb and my heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest.

but i wasn't diagnosed until years later. now i have gone from panic attacks to what they call panic disorder and on top of the meds i was on for the panic attacks they gave me something supposed to be for depression even though i am not depressed! but it seems to be making things somewhat better. idk i'm a mess!

*hugs*

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

This was what I was trying to explain to Len; 'should be a piece of piss' doesn't really come into it because this isn't a question of attitude or bravery... It's something that happens physically, irrespective of your conscious mind.