the steven appreciation thread

28 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

There facts, as admitted by Steven himself, are that Duff was mad at him (poor, poor Steven) because Duff invited him to open for Loaded and he went on a bender when he got there.

How is that "spin". That's a situation that happened 3 years ago when Adler was supposedly sober. 

Did you know that Tracy and Roberta were not members of the partnership agreement?

40 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

There facts, as admitted by Steven himself, are that Duff was mad at him (poor, poor Steven) because Duff invited him to open for Loaded and he went on a bender when he got there.

How is that "spin". That's a situation that happened 3 years ago when Adler was supposedly sober. 

He wasn't sober, he was drug clean and didn't do drugs on that tour. Alcohol was the last thing he quit.

And what @Good, Fuck'n, Night. is saying (and he's right) is that it's not true that Steven "couldn't handle the tour". He wasn't sober and relapsed because of the tour, he was an alcoholic and did the same thing he would have done at home.

2 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

He wasn't sober, he was drug clean and didn't do drugs on that tour. Alcohol was the last thing he quit.

And what @Good, Fuck'n, Night. is saying (and he's right) is that it's not true that Steven "couldn't handle the tour". He wasn't sober and relapsed because of the tour, he was an alcoholic and did the same thing he would have done at home.

How can you say it wasn't that he "couldn't handle the tour" and literally the next sentence say he only relapsed "because of the tour". 

Regardless of how many times you want to split hairs and rationalize what you want as being the right thing to do, the guy has a long, storied history of being an unreliable addict and when he was given an opportunity 3 years ago he pissed Duff off by going off on a bender during the tour. It's absolutely understandable and reasonable that they didn't trust Adler to have a tour of his importance relying on him. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Did you know that Tracy and Roberta were not members of the partnership agreement?

Neither are Steven and Izzy. 

32 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

How can you say it wasn't that he "couldn't handle the tour" and literally the next sentence say he only relapsed "because of the tour". 

Regardless of how many times you want to split hairs and rationalize what you want as being the right thing to do, the guy has a long, storied history of being an unreliable addict and when he was given an opportunity 3 years ago he pissed Duff off by going off on a bender during the tour. It's absolutely understandable and reasonable that they didn't trust Adler to have a tour of his importance relying on him. 

Forgive me if I didn't express myself properly but what I meant to say is that it WASN'T that Steven relapsed because of the tour, he happened to still be an alcoholic during that tour and would have been drinking regardless of where he was and what he was doing.

And it wasn't Steven's fault if Duff got mad. He was an alcoholic, how was he supposed not to drink? He was invited to open for Loaded and he did a fantastic job (as always, he delivers EVERY SINGLE TIME HE HITS THE STAGE) so there was no reason to be mad at him. I don't even believe Duff was so stupid and hipocritical to be mad at Steven, he was probably sad to see him still struggling and that pushed him away because it obviously brings some awful memories of his own dark days.

32 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Neither are Steven and Izzy. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 1:37 PM, action said:

013221.jpg

Steven popcorn adler.

let's appreciate the best drummer GNR ever had. the way he turned his life around, its an inspiration to all of us. we all face our demons sooner or later, and steven had his share. damn. what a true and utter legend

i personally think adler is the best thing from this entire tour and reinforces that he is the best - other than watching say estranged or coma with the big 3 adler is by far the biggest highlight to see from this incarnation

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Frey said:

Sorry, but this is such bullshit. You and everyone else swinging from Izzy's and Steven's nuts constantly reduce everyone who disagrees with you to simply being one of Axl's asslickers and it's so annoying and ridiculous.

I have never in my whole life talked shit about Slash or thought he was the devil. I hated NuGNR and only hoped that Slash (and the other guys) would return one day. And I certainly don't think Axl is god.

I also don't hate Izzy or Steven. Izzy always used to be my favorite Gunner, in fact.

But guess what? I'm still annoyed by the constant whining about Izzy and Steven not being involved (or not being involved enough), as well as by the continous over-glorification of both of them, and the simultanous disparaging of Slash, Axl and even Duff (of all people!).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. None of these guys are fucking saints. They're all assholes and difficult in their own ways, and the way some people here will praise Steven and Izzy to the high heavens while leaving no good hair on the other three is just so :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: to me.

Thank you.

I'm so bored and have had enough of the usual posters who do nothing but complain about Izzy and Steven's absence, and who bring up the hater card everytime you disagree with them. 

Edited by EvH
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Frey said:

Sorry, but this is such bullshit. You and everyone else swinging from Izzy's and Steven's nuts constantly reduce everyone who disagrees with you to simply being one of Axl's asslickers and it's so annoying and ridiculous.

I have never in my whole life talked shit about Slash or thought he was the devil. I hated NuGNR and only hoped that Slash (and the other guys) would return one day. And I certainly don't think Axl is god.

I also don't hate Izzy or Steven. Izzy always used to be my favorite Gunner, in fact.

But guess what? I'm still annoyed by the constant whining about Izzy and Steven not being involved (or not being involved enough), as well as by the continous over-glorification of both of them, and the simultanous disparaging of Slash, Axl and even Duff (of all people!).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. None of these guys are fucking saints. They're all assholes and difficult in their own ways, and the way some people here will praise Steven and Izzy to the high heavens while leaving no good hair on the other three is just so :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: to me.

This.

I've always loved all the guys and never hated anyone just because Axl disapproved of them at the moment or whatever and I'm so sick of this ridiculous claim.

And bored to death by all the constant Steven and Izzy whining. It's the same thing over and over again. Izzy is god's gift to music and the coolest guy ever and his solo work is better than anything GNR could produce right now (lol I'm sorry, I love Izzy and a lot of his solo stuff, but a large part of it is just mediocre and boring), and Steven is just the most special little snowflake with the magical certain something (that I've never even been able to hear), and for that alone he deserves to be made full-time drummer, no matter what misgivings or concerns Duff, Slash and Axl might have. We don't actually know shit about what's going on behind the scenes and what the exact reasons for their various decisons are, but sure, let's whine about what we think (or want to think) in 500 different threads.

They're all stubborn idiots, things will work out between them or they won't.

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Man, this is totally wrong. I think every single person who's complained about the lack of Steven and Izzy loves the other three. Can you tell who are the people that claim Steven is a saint and Slash, Duff and Axl are devils? Never seen such thing.

And @Slash787 was having an argument with the same old double standard douchebag who talks shit about Steven in every single thread (go to the funkos thread and you'll see a recent post from him talking shit about Steven out of the blue, as he always does) who also happen to be a self admitted Axl asslicker. That doesn't mean everyone who isn't intersted in having Steven back is automatically a crazy Axl fan. I'm sure you aren't like that for example.

There's no such thing as an over-glorification of Steven and Izzy, this is a GNR forum and they get the love they earned and deserve, as do the other three (I literally ran out of words to express my love for Slash).

I do agree it doesn't make sense to take a side and hate either Slash, Axl and Duff or Steven and Izzy, but that's not really what's happening (I mean, do you think SLASH787 hates Slash?). There's only one lunatic who hates Steven and make every thread where he's mentioned really tedious bringing the same stupid arguments over and over and over and over and over again.

This is really a great post and thanks for the support man. 

If I like Steven and Izzy it doesn't means I automatically hate Axl, Duff and Slash. 

Some of us have this frustration and we are just venting out, it doesn't means the shows are going bad, I think they are going really amazing.

@BorderlineCrazy went to what like 3 shows and he had the time of his life, even I am going to the show in Jan, I put all my savings on it, If I din't like the 3 of them why would I do that? 

and I was talking in regards to Mondano who just keeps on talking shit regarding Steven and nothing else. Have you seen any "fans" of "Steven" or "Izzy" Bashing Axl by repeating the same shit in every thread regarding him? Like we say he was good, he was bad, his voice was amazing on that song, he sounded better at the previous show etc etc, just giving different opinions like what normal people do. 

Me and @Darkenchantress make fun of Izzy's tweets, she loves Izzy and I really respect that, but she or @Jane M. are not disrespectful to other fans. If they are standing up agains't the people who are saying Izzy is not talented or Izzy hardly has any contributions in GN'R then they are doing nothing wrong. 

Like that Axl called Slash a cancer which was very wrong of him to say, Slash's mother died cause of Cancer and my aunt also recently passed away cause of it, but I don't keep on spamming what Axl said or what Axl did. 

Again none of the band members are my relatives or my friends, I don't hang around with them everyday, we just love them for their music and we should appreciate their contributions and should not deny their talents. All of them have proved that they are healthy and fit to play which is a good thing. 

You should love them, but not blindly follow them, not everyone blindly follows them, but there are some people who do which is very wrong. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Man, this is totally wrong. I think every single person who's complained about the lack of Steven and Izzy loves the other three. Can you tell who are the people that claim Steven is a saint and Slash, Duff and Axl are devils? Never seen such thing.

And @Slash787 was having an argument with the same old double standard douchebag who talks shit about Steven in every single thread (go to the funkos thread and you'll see a recent post from him talking shit about Steven out of the blue, as he always does) who also happen to be a self admitted Axl asslicker. That doesn't mean everyone who isn't intersted in having Steven back is automatically a crazy Axl fan. I'm sure you aren't like that for example.

There's no such thing as an over-glorification of Steven and Izzy, this is a GNR forum and they get the love they earned and deserve, as do the other three (I literally ran out of words to express my love for Slash).

I do agree it doesn't make sense to take a side and hate either Slash, Axl and Duff or Steven and Izzy, but that's not really what's happening (I mean, do you think SLASH787 hates Slash?). There's only one lunatic who hates Steven and make every thread where he's mentioned really tedious bringing the same stupid arguments over and over and over and over and over again.

Dude, I never said anyone literally called the Slash/Axl/Duff devils, but I can think of at least 5 or 6 different people just off the top of my head who go on and on about what selfish, greedy, money-grabbing assholes "the big 3" are, how they betrayed their friends, how Duff is a disappointment, Axl is fat, yadda yadda. It's tiresome and frankly makes me wonder why you would waste your time on a GNR board if you seemingly can't stand or are so bothered by 3/5 members.

And yes, I think there is such a thing as giving people too much credit imo. People who insist everything Izzy does is the most wonderful thing ever (when there's quite a lot of evidence to the contrary) seem as ridiculous to me as people who claim CD is some unparallelled masterpiece. And Steven was the perfect drummer for Appetite and he's got a nice sense of groove that people like Sorum or Frank lack, but I really can't understand the people who claim Steven not being there or not playing certain songs ruins the whole show/songs for them. Frank isn't all that great, but I never felt he'd 'ruined' a song.

19 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

and I was talking in regards to Mondano who just keeps on talking shit regarding Steven and nothing else. Have you seen any "fans" of "Steven" or "Izzy" Bashing Axl by repeating the same shit in every thread regarding him? Like we say he was good, he was bad, his voice was amazing on that song, he sounded better at the previous show etc etc, just giving different opinions like what normal people do. 

Me and @Darkenchantress make fun of Izzy's tweets, she loves Izzy and I really respect that, but she or @Jane M. are not disrespectful to other fans. If they are standing up agains't the people who are saying Izzy is not talented or Izzy hardly has any contributions in GN'R then they are doing nothing wrong.

Like I mentioned above, I've certainly seen a lot of criticism (or downright insults) towards Axl, Slash and Duff that I thought was way over the top and uncalled for, and I don't mean talk about whether Axl's voice was good or bad or whatever, I don't really care about that.

And I've hardly ever seen anyone say Izzy is not talented. Maybe one or two people in that huge clusterfuck of a thread when twittergate happened, but outside of that? Not really. Meanwhile I see people (usually hardcore fans of Steven and Izzy) make pretty disparaging remarks about A/S/D on a regular basis in all kinds of threads.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Awww, thanks for the mention and the kind words :heart: 

Even though I've been a GnR fan since 1988 I've been here for a little while only and i can say that i love this place where people is generally very nice. It's obvious i have a weakness for Izzy, I love that man, I started playing guitar cause at 11 years old i wanted to be as cool as he was in my eyes. But above all I'm a GnR fan, it's the band of my life and i love and admire as artists every one of the original five. Every one of them. Just would like people to understand that Izzy's presence in GnR is as important for me as Axl's or Slash's is for others so, this reunion FOR ME, is not enough and i have all the right to complain if I want to even though it won't change anything but anyway, i don't think it causes any harm to others. If you're happy with the reunion, believe me, I'm happy for you, but it doesn't feel complete for everyone (and i include myself even though i'm probably gonna see them if they ever come to Europe) and you should understand that.

Edited by Darkenchantress
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Darkenchantress said:

Awww, thanks for the mention and the kind words :heart: 

You know I lived in Spain for 3 years, If I knew you from before, we could have jammed out on some Izzy tunes, that would have been cool. 

• Like 1

Well we all have our favourite members I suppose. Stradlin was my favourite member, so it shouldn't come as a big surprise that I do not immediately see this tour as the ''second coming'', considering it lacks my favourite member!! If somebody's favourite member was Slash, would the Slash fans all bow down to an Axl/Izzy/Duff reunion, or likewise, if - stretching the hypothetical here - Axl had not pursued the name and Slash and Duff had ran their own version of GN'R in the late '90s - 00s with somebody else singing, would the Axlites buy into this proposition?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

This is really a great post and thanks for the support man. 

If I like Steven and Izzy it doesn't means I automatically hate Axl, Duff and Slash. 

Some of us have this frustration and we are just venting out, it doesn't means the shows are going bad, I think they are going really amazing.

@BorderlineCrazy went to what like 3 shows and he had the time of his life, even I am going to the show in Jan, I put all my savings on it, If I din't like the 3 of them why would I do that? 

Like that Axl called Slash a cancer which was very wrong of him to say, Slash's mother died cause of Cancer and my aunt also recently passed away cause of it, but I don't keep on spamming what Axl said or what Axl did. 

Again none of the band members are my relatives or my friends, I don't hang around with them everyday, we just love them for their music and we should appreciate their contributions and should not deny their talents. All of them have proved that they are healthy and fit to play which is a good thing. 

You should love them, but not blindly follow them, not everyone blindly follows them, but there are some people who do which is very wrong. 

Nice post man.

People complaining about others complaining it's quite funny. :rofl-lol:

You know, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. 

Move on and ignore.

7 minutes ago, Frey said:

Dude, I never said anyone literally called the Slash/Axl/Duff devils, but I can think of at least 5 or 6 different people just off the top of my head who go on and on about what selfish, greedy, money-grabbing assholes "the big 3" are, how they betrayed their friends, how Duff is a disappointment, Axl is fat, yadda yadda. It's tiresome and frankly makes me wonder why you would waste your time on a GNR board if you seemingly can't stand or are so bothered by 3/5 members.

I've seen some comments here and there talking about them betraying their friends but that mostly happens out of frustration when they do a shitty thing like bringing Steven for ONE song (when the crowd is BEGGING FOR MORE), it's not 24/7 like the comments by that anti-Steven dude. The comments about money and Axl's shape/voice come from everybody, not Steven and Izzy's fans. Half of the forum over analyzes the way Axl looks and performs at every gig and a lot of people call the reunion a cash grab because of the lack of new music or even for weird reasons such as lack of interaction between the 3 members on stage. I can only think of 2 people who never have good things to say about the band, though, and one of them wants Matt to be the drummer, not Steven...

18 minutes ago, Frey said:

And yes, I think there is such a thing as giving people too much credit imo. People who insist everything Izzy does is the most wonderful thing ever (when there's quite a lot of evidence to the contrary) seem as ridiculous to me as people who claim CD is some unparallelled masterpiece. And Steven was the perfect drummer for Appetite and he's got a nice sense of groove that people like Sorum or Frank lack, but I really can't understand the people who claim Steven not being there or not playing certain songs ruins the whole show/songs for them. Frank isn't all that great, but I never felt he'd 'ruined' a song.

But this is all personal taste/opinion/preference. Why can't some people like Izzy's music over anybody else's? It's ridiculous to claim there's evidence that Izzy's music is not the most wonderful thing ever but the contrary. It's fn' music! For some it is and for some it isn't. Same goes to Chinese Democracy.

Again, some people can't stand Frank's playing, it doesn't necessarily have to do with Steven. I personally wanted to kill Frank back in april, I think he was sucking big time but (without being perfect or "the right fit") I think he has improved a lot. In my case, it didn't have anything to do with Steven (even though I totally want him to be the drummer), I would have been happy if they hired Brent Fitz as I think he did a hell of a job playing songs such as Rocket Queen, Mr. Brownstone or Paradise City in SMKC. I think if all the criticism Frank recieves here was related to Steven, then Fortus would be as criticized and he isn't.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well we all have our favourite members I suppose. Stradlin was my favourite member, so it shouldn't come as a big surprise that I do not immediately see this tour as the ''second coming'', considering it lacks my favourite member!! If somebody's favourite member was Slash, would the Slash fans all bow down to an Axl/Izzy/Duff reunion, or likewise, if - stretching the hypothetical here - Axl had not pursued the name and Slash and Duff had ran their own version of GN'R in the late '90s - 00s with somebody else singing, would the Axlites buy into this proposition?

Haha I imagine there would be some sort of a cyber riot here if there ever were an Axlless GNR :lol:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ludurigan said:

my favorite drummer ever

right up there with charlie watts, tommy ramone, phil rudd, brian downey and many other greats

really hoping for a record with izzy someday!

hopefully soon!

Watts (and I like The Rudd also). Watts is the engine of the Stones. My favourite drummer of all time is DJ Fontana, Elvis's drummer and I've recently been enarmoured with James Brown's duo of drummers, Stubblefield and Starks, Jazz old timers. I like John Densmore and Mitch Mitchell also - generally drummers with a bit of jazz about them. I'm not as keen on your heavy hitters, your Bonhams and Lombardos. Those are simply not my type of drummer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Watts (and I like The Rudd also). Watts is the engine of the Stones. My favourite drummer of all time is DJ Fontana, Elvis's drummer and I've recently been enarmoured with James Brown's duo of drummers, Stubblefield and Starks, Jazz old timers. I like John Densmore and Mitch Mitchell also - generally drummers with a bit of jazz about them. I'm not as keen on your heavy hitters, your Bonhams and Lombardos. Those are simply not my type of drummer.

Elvis drummer? Fuck I have no idea whos that guy as I rarely ever listen to Elvis.

Did he play with Elvis during his entire career? Studio albums and live?

Bonham and the Rush drummer Neil Peart have got to be the most overrated drummers ever!

9 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Elvis drummer? Fuck I have no idea whos that guy as I rarely ever listen to Elvis.

Did he play with Elvis during his entire career? Studio albums and live?

Bonham and the Rush drummer Neil Peart have got to be the most overrated drummers ever!

1950s RCA recordings and he is at the '68 Comeback Special.

11 hours ago, Frey said:

10 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Man I read both these posts and agree with both of them!

How is that even possible?