the steven appreciation thread

4 minutes ago, Frey said:

Obviously my personal feelings towards the man color my perception (as it does everyone's), but my statements are based on actual things Duff, Weiland, Axl and Slash (allegedly in his case) have said.

If multiple people (even ones as easy-going and friendly as Duff) struggle to deal with him, than obviously something's going on here and he probably isn't the inoffensive, chill guy some people here like to think he is.

But anyway, this is getting way off-topic. So here's something on topic: Steven, I'm not your biggest fan, but I'd rather have you as a drummer than Sorum.

Its undeniable that he is a difficult guy to deal with at times because he has no filter and doesnt hide his displeasure. But to go as far as to say Slash or Duff arent his friends or hate him is flat out wrong based on the track record. That he is tough to deal with is true, Duff has said so himself and there is video proof of how he can be headstrong and vocal about his displeasure.

2 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Its undeniable that he is a difficult guy to deal with at times because he has no filter and doesnt hide his displeasure. But to go as far as to say Slash or Duff arent his friends or hate him is flat out wrong based on the track record. That he is tough to deal with is true, Duff has said so himself and there is video proof of how he can be headstrong and vocal about his displeasure.

If they truly cared so much about him, they probably would have fought a bit harder to get him involved in the reunion. Instead, he wasn't even asked. And Sorum is clearly bitter about it. Doesn't paint too rosy a picture of their current relationship either.

9 minutes ago, Frey said:

If they truly cared so much about him, they probably would have fought a bit harder to get him involved in the reunion. Instead, he wasn't even asked. And Sorum is clearly bitter about it. Doesn't paint too rosy a picture of their current relationship either.

We dont know that they did or didnt though do we?

The truth is we know jack shit about anything, we are all just guessing.. So sometimes when all the facts arent there, its just better not to make concrete statements like that you know? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Frey said:

Because Slash and Duff joined the band with Frank and the rest of the band already in place, and especially with Adler as a guest drummer already it makes perfect sense for Sorum to have not been included in the grand scheme of this "regrouping".  People are making way too many assumptions about this "Slash and Duff don't like Matt Sorum anymore" thing, it just doesn't hold any weight

Edited by WhazUp

2 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

The truth is we know jack shit about anything, we are all just guessing.. So sometimes when all the facts arent there, its just better not to make concrete statements like that you know? 

We do actually know something in this case. Sorum made at least one very bitter comment on twitter about it. He probably wouldn't feel that way if Slash and Duff had told him something like "Sorry, we tried our best, but Axl's not having it." Instead he said he wasn't even asked, likely implying a complete lack of communication between him and the GNR camp.

1 hour ago, Frey said:

We do actually know something in this case. Sorum made at least one very bitter comment on twitter about it. He probably wouldn't feel that way if Slash and Duff had told him something like "Sorry, we tried our best, but Axl's not having it." Instead he said he wasn't even asked, likely implying a complete lack of communication between him and the GNR camp.

You can read peoples emotions off a tweet reply that was flat. no exclamation, no caps.?  It was a simple, "I wasnt asked to be involved"..c'mon dude. Thats not concrete, its the complete opposite. Thats you interpreting it as being bitter.

And if they would of told him that Axl said No, he for sure would of said something to either the media or the fans and that would have caused some shit for everyone involved. 

To assume Slash and Duff hate(d) Matt Sorum is to assume that they hated him, despite hiring him specifically (Slash) for GN'R in 1990, forging two side side projects with him (Snakepit and Neurotic Outsiders), then, the two having departed Guns, continuing to play with him in two super groups (Velvet Revolver and Kings of Chaos). Slash played with this guy he hated for fifteen years - Duff marginally less so!

You also have to assume that Slash and Duff are deeply sadomasochists, choosing to play on such an odious man's solo album (Hollywood Zen), and inviting him to guest on their solo albums (Believe in Me)!

Matt must be an incredible drummer, for Slash and Duff to endure and continue to select such a horrible customer for so many of their bands - and for such a long time! This must be the counteracting force here, Matt's musical gifts, compensating for the deficiencies of his personality?

• Like 3

Matt's not part of the partnership so he has no "in" to be included unless he's invited. GNR already had a drummer in place and were going to give Adler guest appearances so my guess would be they didn't feel the need to involve a 3rd drummer who rubs Axl the wrong way.

4 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Smartest thing I've read on here.

it'S absurd his much we debate without knowing facts.

it'S like debating what alien race has the best music.

On 06.11.2016. at 10:10 AM, Gem Archer said:

There was an after show in buenos aires a the roxy...he played almost all the AFD record...

Hot, hot night..

IMG-20161106-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20161106-WA0005.jpg

Didn't  he play YCBM and Back Off Bitch also?

Saw it on Buenos Aires 2nd night thread somewhere and there were yt videos...

Here im on mobile and it s raining and my dog wanna pee :D

Edited by -Jaro-
Yt link added
  • Like 2

The best drum Guns feel ever. Guns always sounded the most complete sound wise with Adler in the line up. He was made to play in that band, even if I like others that came after him. Plus he's never boring. Best Gn'R hair.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

The best drum Guns feel ever. Guns always sounded the most complete sound wise with Adler in the line up. He was made to play in that band, even if I like others that came after him. Plus he's never boring. Best Gn'R hair.

Adler really defines the classic Guns sound.  No other drummer they've ever had sounds the same.  It's amazing and really makes me appreciate the art of drumming more than ever...never realized how much of a difference it makes until the entire Adler/Sorum/rest of GN'R drummers controversy came to light over the years.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dgnr said:

Man goes to Argentina to play two songs, end up in small club playing GN'R songs and he still helps to save some horses, by making Slash, Duff and himself sign a ball to auction. You gotta love him!!

This is great...but I do not understand.. I thught he kicked the ball into the crowd at the end of first Buenos Aires show...

2 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Holy Fuck this is fucking AWESOME

Vocals aside, music wise, this band is pretty much as good if not better than the "real" GNR as it is now... Down to the basic r'n'r! No keyboards, no bongos, no additional strange sounds to reproduce a thousand overlays on a single song... GNR used to be a band like this a long time ago :(((

• Like 4