the steven appreciation thread

It is pretty simple. People perceive that if someone doesn't agree with them they must be on the other side (whatever that is). In most cases we are sitting side by side on the scale (when it comes to the band members) and the arguments make it seem like that tiny minuscule difference in our opinion is actually oceans apart.

People get shoved into the same boxes. Fan1 says DJ Ashba is great. Fan2 says DJ Ashba is great. Fan1 says Slash sucks. So now some people assume Fan2 thinks Slash sucks as well. When Fan2 thinks Slash is the greatest. It might be helpful if we respond to what is said and not what we think is said.

When it comes to music we all have different tastes. To bring back that horrible house analogy from a previous topic. Axl, Duff, Izzy, Slash and Steven had a house built. One was in charge of the kitchen another in charge of the bathrooms, another the bedrooms, another the basement and the last one the location. Now us fans absolutely love the house. It is the perfect house. It has an amazing kitchen,  outstanding bathrooms, spectacular bedrooms and the basement and the location is the best ever. They now broke up and went to build houses with other people. Some of us fans thought the basement was the best part of the house and think all the other houses the others made were lacking in the basement and they just don't excite or feel right to us. Other fans thought the basement was great but not every house really needs a basement like that, maybe we prefer the kitchen! Now the basement and bathroom fans think we are silly because kitchens are pretty useless. Who cooks anymore? Just need a fridge and you are good to go. While it is fun to argue over if the bathrooms or the location where the house sits is more important and the varying degrees of importance, it would be good to remember that it is all subjective. You can be particular over your bathroom set up and someone else about their kitchen, but remember you are not going to change someone's mind about what is better/more important to them.

Edited by sanity_lost
Submitted before I finished :(
  • Like 3

On November 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Jeez said:

I'm just curious as I haven't paid much attention to the matter;

Do we know for a fact Steven isn't allowed to play anything more than one or two songs? I mean, maybe he was told to take it slow due to his back injury? As far as I know no one has said anything, including Steven himself (surely must mean something). And maybe that's due to them knowing something we don't.

I think you're jumping to conclusions way too quickly. But it must be satisfying always "knowing" who to blame.

As someone who has had two back surgeries and still in recovery from the last one, I can tell you that it takes a long time to recover. Not only from the surgical pain but from the nerve pain. From the outside everyone tells me I look great, I put on a big smile, go out, etc...but if I push it too much I can be in extreme pain for days afterwards. There is a lot of rehabilitation and complications that can happen. Maybe Adler is only capable to do a few songs and that's it, some days are better than others which would explain why he was only able to do the one song. Axl mentioned Adler's back problem during the Alx/Duff interview as one of the obstacles getting the crew together, etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mararoyce said:

As someone who has had two back surgeries and still in recovery from the last one, I can tell you that it takes a long time to recover. Not only from the surgical pain but from the nerve pain. From the outside everyone tells me I look great, I put on a big smile, go out, etc...but if I push it too much I can be in extreme pain for days afterwards. There is a lot of rehabilitation and complications that can happen. Maybe Adler is only capable to do a few songs and that's it, some days are better than others which would explain why he was only able to do the one song. Axl mentioned Adler's back problem during the Alx/Duff interview as one of the obstacles getting the crew together, etc...

i totally relate!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2016 at 10:59 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Watts (and I like The Rudd also). Watts is the engine of the Stones. My favourite drummer of all time is DJ Fontana, Elvis's drummer and I've recently been enarmoured with James Brown's duo of drummers, Stubblefield and Starks, Jazz old timers. I like John Densmore and Mitch Mitchell also - generally drummers with a bit of jazz about them. I'm not as keen on your heavy hitters, your Bonhams and Lombardos. Those are simply not my type of drummer.

What about Carl Palmer and Ginger Baker? Simon Kirke?

On 15-11-2016 at 5:50 PM, sonofnazareth said:

What about Carl Palmer and Ginger Baker? Simon Kirke?

What about Jimmy Chamberlin? I'm always surprised he hardly ever gets mentioned... this guy is a monster on the drums, one of the best. He throws in all these jazz elements.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, EvanG said:

What about Jimmy Chamberlin? I'm always surprised he hardly ever gets mentioned... this guy is a monster on the drums, one of the best. He throws in all these jazz elements.

You want to hear a 'monster' drummer? Listen to Bill Ward or Peter F'n Criss (Steven's Idol)

Edited by sonofnazareth

On 18-11-2016 at 5:27 PM, Rovim said:

Seriously though, they can't do a 30 years AFD anniversary celebration without Steven. Izzy is probably not available for obvious reasons.

Steven is available 24/7. At least let him fuckin' play a full show then. When it's time to be even more nostalgic. And also let him play YCBM and Don't Cry.

No new album for at least 4 to 5 years. I demand more Adler please. There's no harm in letting him play 4 or 5 tunes right now at the very least, but that is not happening so far. Gn'R shame.

i'll see what happens and hold back my judgment a bit longer. i reckognise that they have let him play some songs at all, which is a whole world more than nothing.

even letting him play ONE song in the ENTIRE tour, is a qualitiative step above leaving him out altogether. People should realise that.

It opens the door. It SHOULD open the door for more.

So until then, i'll cut them some slack.

But i fully expect them to let steven play more and more.

or else! ;)

Edited by action

• 2 months later...