07/30/17 - Minneapolis, MN - US Bank Stadium

Estranged Reality

13 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

first show since start of Euro tour that Axl has improved on Jungle. Got a feeling he's bringing it home strong  for the US leg. Something has sparked a change between  St Louis and the Joel appearance. 

Performing a single song in one night is very different than performing a full set that is ~3hrs

Cadence, pitch, breathing & vocal muscles that are employed is different when singing AC/DC too 

There's a lot of basic vocal intel that this forum is missing when it comes to Axl's performances 

He's human, his voice will always be unpredictable. At his age its insane he's pulling these shows off 

And if your argument is that 10 other rock god vocalists are already doing or have done it....it's insane that they did it too

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramsey said:

Performing a single song in one night is very different than performing a full set that is ~3hrs

Cadence, pitch, breathing & vocal muscles that are employed is different when singing AC/DC too 

There's a lot of basic vocal intel that this forum is missing when it comes to Axl's performances 

He's human, his voice will always be unpredictable. At his age its insane he's pulling these shows off 

And if your argument is that 10 other rock god vocalists are already doing or have done it....it's insane that they did it too

Neh Axl is actually very consistent when you look at how he sings from tour to tour. He usually trends upward in that he gets better as they play more shows. The Euro tour was the first time I've seen him consistently sing the same way from start to finish, he started weak and finished weak. Maybe on purpose? 

Its extreamly rare that Axl jumps around from being really good to being really bad back to being good and so forth. Obviously you're right in that every show is different and he's not going to be consistently perfect, however you definitely can find trends in Axl from tour to tour. I'm just predicting we will see a much improved Axl by the end of this leg of the tour.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear him sounding better at this recent show. It's always a good sign! 

17 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Neh Axl is actually very consistent when you look at how he sings from tour to tour. He usually trends upward in that he gets better as they play more shows. The Euro tour was the first time I've seen him consistently sing the same way from start to finish, he started weak and finished weak. Maybe on purpose? 

Its extreamly rare that Axl jumps around from being really good to being really bad back to being good and so forth. Obviously you're right in that every show is different and he's not going to be consistently perfect, however you definitely can find trends in Axl from tour to tour. I'm just predicting we will see a much improved Axl by the end of this leg of the tour.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear him sounding better at this recent show. It's always a good sign! 

Got it. So you observe the changes and attribute it to a choice by Axl. 

"Neh".

My point is that we have no real knowledge of singing, what is going on with his body/voice nor any of the other physical factors that play into the performance that we hear as fans.

It's way, way more complicated than your "trends" that you spot. There's a physicality to every performance and each one can be impacted by a large number of variables. And you/I will never know which variable created the performance you see on stage. And each show is going to be different. 

Don't dumb it down to uneducated guesses, then confirm those guesses with your bias. 

Much more interested in hearing what a vocal coach or educated tour manager has to say on the matter. 

Would not take my stance if you weren't so sure of your guess work...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ramsey said:

Got it. So you observe the changes and attribute it to a choice by Axl. 

"Neh".

My point is that we have no real knowledge of singing, what is going on with his body/voice nor any of the other physical factors that play into the performance that we hear as fans.

It's way, way more complicated than your "trends" that you spot. There's a physicality to every performance and each one can be impacted by a large number of variables. And you/I will never know which variable created the performance you see on stage. And each show is going to be different. 

Don't dumb it down to uneducated guesses, then confirm those guesses with your bias. 

Much more interested in hearing what a vocal coach or educated tour manager has to say on the matter. 

Would not take my stance if you weren't so sure of your guess work...

Look I'm definitely not saying I'm an expert. I've been here a while, I've seen many tours come and go. It's common knowledge that Axl has a tendency to be weak at the start of a tour and improve as it goes on. 

The Euro tour was really the first time we saw no improvement. Many chalked it up to fatigue, some said he's just resting his vocals with the cleaner voice (taking OTGM out and replacing it with a cleaner song like My Michelle might be proof). 

Then we got that performance with Joel a couple nights ago and Axl's voice is just incredible! Maybe a freak performance. But I'd like to think not. 

I'm simply hoping that Axl is starting that positive trend we've seen so many times in the past. I'm not trying to be an expert. Just posted a video of Jungle from the show and gave my opinion under it! All we can do it hope for the best for Axl and speculate until then.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

first show since start of Euro tour that Axl has improved on Jungle. Got a feeling he's bringing it home strong  for the US leg. Something has sparked a change between  St Louis and the Joel appearance. 

lol. That boring fucking american crowd again. Jesus..what is wrong with them?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Then we got that performance with Joel a couple nights ago and Axl's voice is just incredible! Maybe a freak performance. But I'd like to think not. 

In my opinion that performance looks so effortless to be a freak one. He sing that song that night like a simple walk in the park. Or could be my bias for AXL/DC?

I must say that I enjoyed the St Louis show very much.

31 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I saw on Twitter where someone actually asked Del James how Slash keeps his hat on...no reply posted yet :rofl-lol:

Del not can  reply , guess what is for discretion with the business  in the band ☺

16 hours ago, Original said:

Well yes a lot of what you say is true.  My point is Slash is flawless, never leaves stage and just nails it from 8:30 PM to 11:45 PM.    Where Axl gives 100%, he just can't do it (sound flawless) all show....Father Time won't let him.  His heart is in it though.  Back in the day it was the Axl show and Slash is the one who's body (self inflicted) had the performance flaws.   That's all.  Just a die hards thought.  

Far from flawless, better luck next time on attempt on the yesterdays solo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maynard said:

I love green and Les Pauls. I'd kill for that guitar :lol:

Slash is a beast indeed. By far the best and most interesting musician on stage in a GNR show nowadays.

Slash and Buckethead are the best and most interesting guitarists in GN'R. Robin Finck too. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

lol. That boring fucking american crowd again. Jesus..what is wrong with them?

Being there I can say the crowd was not boring but I can understand what you mean. Culture is different the crowds are pretty lively in some other country venues. My personal belief and pet peeve are the damn cell phones. Here in America everyone is so worried to share with everyone besides who they came with. They somehow justify spending $250 to stare through a 4 inch screen. It's a bigger deal to these people to say they were there than to enjoy being there. 

Dont get me wrong I took a few pictures I think five. I chose not to drink and stood the entire time not one bathroom break clutching my lithograph poster like a kid with a teddy bear. I had a smile for 3 hours and clapped and cheered. I didn't get super nuts screaming ripping my shirt off bumping into everyone around me. However I enjoyed it and was as excited as any other guy in any country. Like I said I think it's culture and dumbass cell phones.

• Like 2

For the most part, one of the best "Don't Cry" performances in a while ! 
U could tell he was feeling it in middle - to end ! Moving a lot more too...
Honestly, Euro used to be were Axl gave it all, half-assing it more in America...
He seems to have reversed the trend of late with a point to prove !