What Was The Big Attraction to Guns 'N' Roses.

On 12.1.2017 at 2:47 PM, wasted said:

I had 3 or 4 tapes. I had Madonna's Like a Prayer, the S'Express album, Roachford's debut. I liked Roachford the most so I got Hysteria by Def Leappard. I liked that more. Women! whoah! Rocket! Woah! Then I got AFD. The next day I was smoking marlboros and binge drinking like a professional. 

Haha... my story with GNR went something like that... without the binge drinking and discovering women :lol:

I remember being a big Madonna fan back then and listened to stuff like U2 and Billy Idol or so... :shrugs:
The only thing I remember about finding out about GNR ist that I saw either "Sweet child" or "Welcome to the jungle" on dutch television they had some cool music shows before I could even pick up MTV.

Due to the fact that I lived in a small town near the dutch border (and no one even heared about GNR before) I got on my bike to buy Appetite in the next store in the netherlands.

That must have been '88 or '89. And I guess that's the reason why I still own one of the original copys of AFD with that Williams cover on vinyl... 

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You need to listen to some more music. Seriously.

Lol. GnR is my favorite rock band of all time. But the way some people act like they are the best band in history and that no band will ever be as good as them again....it's just kind of funny to see.  The Rose colored glasses are distorting some people's ability to think rationally. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I don't have a crystal ball either, but let's face it the odds are stacked massively against rock bands to have that kind of impact again. It becomes less and less likely as time rolls on and reasons for that are many, the state of the music ''business'' and how music is digested is a big a factor as any. As for the other stuff you've written you're just changing the subject really. So what GNR didn't create a slew of little GNR's, what's has that got to do with their impact and why anyone want to hear a watered down version of them anyway?(btw you might wanna read up on how much Seattle pioneers Alice n Chains and Mother Love Bone were inspired by Guns). The discussion here is what was the attraction to GNR and i'm saying there's not a band around today who causes the amount of hysteria that GNR created in their heyday, and i'm not exaggerating when i say hysteria. I mean you just have to look at that news footage posted recently of when they were in Australia in 92 or whatever, that was commonplace wherever they went it was a massive newsworthy event, bands just don't have that clout anymore.

So inspiring other bands has nothing to do with a band's impact on the music industry? But how many fans show up at a hotel to see the band does? Justin Bieber draws huge crowds of hysterical fans wherever he goes. Hell, Kim Kardasjian draws crowds. 

I feel where you are coming from. And think you make a lot of sense. But it seems like you've let your fandom cloud your view a bit and overstate the impact that GnR actually had. 

Potentially GnR had the skills to be the greatest rock band of all time. But they needed more than a five year window and three albums to accomplish that honor. 

13 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

When I got into Guns N' Roses which was 1992 and I was ten years old, they had just released a massive double album which would keep one occupied for ages, and had an album and a shortish EP thing to snap up from c. the four years I'd missed. The following year came an, admittedly incredibly dodgy, covers album. There were interviews to read, music videos and Pay-Per-Views to watch and two live VHS to buy. My point? This was an active and thoroughly functioning band which released new music. It has little comparison to the band today, or for that matter the nugnr garbage.

You could have fooled me!

It does play in my head constantly. 

• Like 1

firstly the music but almost at the same token the danger and cool image that the band exhibited, personally this is portrayed hands down through the Patience video 

as a straight guy i also have to say that in their hey day the original 5 GNR were some good looking dudes hard to think of a band where all members are studs and bad asses 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

7 hours ago, Apollo said:

So inspiring other bands has nothing to do with a band's impact on the music industry? But how many fans show up at a hotel to see the band does? Justin Bieber draws huge crowds of hysterical fans wherever he goes. Hell, Kim Kardasjian draws crowds. 

I feel where you are coming from. And think you make a lot of sense. But it seems like you've let your fandom cloud your view a bit and overstate the impact that GnR actually had. 

Potentially GnR had the skills to be the greatest rock band of all time. But they needed more than a five year window and three albums to accomplish that honor. 

Nah i like many bands/artist just as much as i like Guns there's no delusions of grandeur here, I'm just talking about what i witnessed. Also you've kinda proved my point for me bringing up Bieber because Guns had that level of attention on them and this was before all your TMZ's and the rest, no band is on that level now and giving Biebs a run for his money for the publics attention. Plenty of bands have had big hype since but there was something about GNR that i can't put my finger on that was different and i don't see happening again, Oasis kinda had the same thing going on but even then not quite the same level worldwide...this doesn't mean i think either of those bands were the greatest to ever grace the planet either. Also think about it by your logic Korn is probably the most important and influential bands of the last 25-30 years, within a few years of their debut the music industry was absolutely flooded with bands that sounded like them. Is their overall impact on music bigger than GNR?.I just think GNR is a hard band the imitate with any success, how many people they actually inspired to start up a band is completely impossible to measure.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

To me, it was clearly about Axl. I mean, I love Slash and all, but that came later. It were two things: Axl's versatile voice with rasp and many layers/positions, and then him walking on a stage, swearing and smoking a cigarette (which I later figured was Paris 92). I was ten and have been a fan ever since.

The big attraction for me was the attitudes. They hadn't even become famous yet but they still didn't give a fk about being socially or politically correct. I think they said what a lot of us were thinking but didn't say, yet they still had a sense of humor. Then the music they put out was rebellious yet beautiful at the same time, so much talent. A lot of attention was given to Slash because of his amazing guitar skills but also his original look (the tophat). They were just very interesting to watch, not to mention the music, Axl's vocal skills. I think I kinda saw them as being surreal and listening to their music would change my mood depending on the song selection, still does. Being at their shows makes me forget about everything else going on in life, it's like I wish it would never end. I could stand in heels the entire 3 hours and it wouldn't even phase me. I bought the books, every magazine and waited patiently for new albums. I was heartbroken when they separated and after many years gave up hope of ever seeing them together again. I still can't believe what I'm seeing now but I'm thanking my lucky stars they're back again.:heart:

Ah... really sucks I wasn't even born yet back then. Or, I mean, it was probably good because I'm pretty sure my mom was like 12 so it woulda been weird af had I been alive, but ya know. Fuck, I need coffee.

Anyway, I think I found Guns for real like a year before Axl decided to actually release Chinese for real. I remember making bets with my dad about whether or not it would actually be released. I won, obviously. Then I went to look it up on youtube and I'm pretty sure I actually threw up. I mean, it's not that bad, but back then I really thought it was ha. Nah really I found em cos I was watching TV one night and this music show was on and there was this band on, Crashdïet I think, and I really liked them so I went to look em up but being a stupid ass kid as I was, I misspelled the band name and it turned out crash diet and voila! There was Guns! 

23 hours ago, Rubicon said:

Haha... my story with GNR went something like that... without the binge drinking and discovering women :lol:

I remember being a big Madonna fan back then and listened to stuff like U2 and Billy Idol or so... :shrugs:
The only thing I remember about finding out about GNR ist that I saw either "Sweet child" or "Welcome to the jungle" on dutch television they had some cool music shows before I could even pick up MTV.

Due to the fact that I lived in a small town near the dutch border (and no one even heared about GNR before) I got on my bike to buy Appetite in the next store in the netherlands.

That must have been '88 or '89. And I guess that's the reason why I still own one of the original copys of AFD with that Williams cover on vinyl... 

I remember going round to my friends house because he had mtv just to catch a video. 

Slash really did inspire me to start smoking and drinking til I passed out in clubs. I remember one time I passed out on the floor and was sort of asleep. So people thought I was dead. There was this local photographer taking pictures of me on the floor thinking I was dead. Once I revived myself I got out of there. I was out walking with this photography chasing me shouting at me for wasting his time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Did you live in some alternate universe where GnR was really Bon Jovi (and vice versa) lol

Hey, I loved GNR in high school, but it got to a point where I wouldn't tell people that I was listening to them on my walkman. The one time that I did admit to listening to UYI 1, I got told by a number of people that it was 'music for moms, girls and homos'. 

Bon Jovi was a non entity (musically speaking) at my school..if you had a Bon Jovi cassette on you, you'd be sure to get an ass whoopin'. Bon Jovi was considered to be music for 12 year old kids at my school. 

5 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Hey, I loved GNR in high school, but it got to a point where I wouldn't tell people that I was listening to them on my walkman. The one time that I did admit to listening to UYI 1, I got told by a number of people that it was 'music for moms, girls and homos'. 

Bon Jovi was a non entity (musically speaking) at my school..if you had a Bon Jovi cassette on you, you'd be sure to get an ass whoopin'. Bon Jovi was considered to be music for 12 year old kids at my school. 

Just curious where was your high school?? I am obviously older than you, grew up in Atlanta. My high school was into Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Lynyrd Skynyrd mostly

5 hours ago, AFD5 said:

A Drinking, smoking, doing drugs, tattooed, playing rock band.  A girls band indeed lol

3 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Just curious where was your high school?? I am obviously older than you, grew up in Atlanta. My high school was into Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Lynyrd Skynyrd mostly

Flint, Michigan. I listened to those bands in high school as well, but my high school had a 'gangster rap' crowd and a very small 'pure metal' crowd. There was no in between. This was 1992..the year of November Rain. It wasn't cool to admit you liked that stuff. 

3 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Flint, Michigan. I listened to those bands in high school as well, but my high school had a 'gangster rap' crowd and a very small 'pure metal' crowd. There was no in between. This was 1992..the year of November Rain. It wasn't cool to admit you liked that stuff. 

I am around the age of the original GNR members. I had a few friends in my high school, but mainly hung out with older guys who were drop outs, were in a band and listened to Aerosmith, Judas Priest, Queen. But ever since GNR first got on MTV, I was a huge fan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I am around the age of the original GNR members. I had a few friends in my high school, but mainly hung out with older guys who were drop outs, were in a band and listened to Aerosmith, Judas Priest, Queen. But ever since GNR first got on MTV, I was a huge fan.

My best friend in high school was a girl who loved Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath...she liked a bit of GNR as well, but she turned me on to a lot of the older bands. I got into GNR in 88'..the first GNR song that I heard was It's So Easy..my older cousin was playing the AFD cassette in his car. 

2 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

My best friend in high school was a girl who loved Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath...she liked a bit of GNR as well, but she turned me on to a lot of the older bands. I got into GNR in 88'..the first GNR song that I heard was It's So Easy..my older cousin was playing the AFD cassette in his car. 

My ex actually listened to some older bands like Uriah Heep. I still have an old album of theirs. But nothing means as much to me as GNR, I'm still like a rebellious teenager...:P

4 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Me too..and Uriah Heep were awesome. I have all their albums

I really got into GNR after I divorced my first husband, a very abusive drunk, that I was terrified of. It got me to stop being scared and start fighting my way back into being a survivor. And I will never stop loving GNR, just listen to a song and I feel better no matter what life throws at me.:P

Edited by BlueJean Baby
typo

Man... everything. 

I first saw Guns n' Roses in 1997 when I was 13 and TMF (the Dutch MTV at the time) was playing the top 90 of the 90's. They played the Knockin On Heavens Door performance of the Freddy Mercury tribute. That just had me hooked. That was genesis in my love for guitar music. Just... wow. The look, the feel, the emotion, the music, the full sound, the voice, the solo's, the rawness, the brotherhood, the sense of how real that all was. I'll always love Guns n' Roses if only just for that. From there it all started. I want to the library asap to borrow UYI and have a friend make copies of them for me. Managed to get my hands on AFD a short while after I think. Eventually lies and TSI too. Getting your hands on music was hard back then, haha. But man... everything. 

49 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I really got into GNR after I divorced my first husband, a very abusive drunk, that I was terrified of. It got me to stop being scared and start fighting my way back into being a survivor. And I will never stop loving GNR, just listen to a song and I feel better no matter what life throws at me.:P

Definitely. That's what I got from GNR too (No Fear). Axl's lyrics did it for me. I used to feel pumped before high school when I would listen to AFD or UYI 1 in the morning.