"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

The Beast inside

The upside with Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston

John Wick 3

Glad I saw John Wick 3 in the theater because you really can't appreciate those fight scenes on a tv screen. Can't wait for John Wick 4.

15 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Was Wonka the first troll? :lol: His wit was first class.

Never saw this version, but i do like the Charlie and the Chocolate version with Freddy Highmore and Johnny Depp. My daughter loves this version too. although those umpa lumpa people freak me out.

22 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Shazam!

Was alright. One of the weaker DCEU films for me.

I saw shazam. It was pretty good. The fight scenes were too long, but I liked the kids and Levy as shazam was so likable. I think it could have a sequel.

22 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I didn't even mind the women talking early on, there's a certain realism to that, its just when they start going on about films, like in every Tarantino movie, it gets kinda hokey.

Yeah, honestly, I don't remember what they talked about. lol I do love how Quentin tries to get all his fave actors to play in every movie he does. I love that loyalty. Love how Kurt Russell is always there. He's an amazing actor and still one handsome man.

Cheyenne Autumn (1964)

Wonderful film, amazing cast.  I read somewhere that all the Indian talk in the movie is the Indians swearing and calling the stars wankers :lol:

Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)

Fonda is fuckin' brilliant in that and I think, in part because he kinda approaches the role with the idea that he's not playing THE Lincoln...but rather an idealistic young lawyer who became Lincoln.  I think he said similar in an interview once too.  The directing work is fuckin' gorgeous too.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Wonderful film, amazing cast.  I read somewhere that all the Indian talk in the movie is the Indians swearing and calling the stars wankers :lol:

Ford used Navajo people to portray the Cheyenne. Dialogue that is supposed to be the "Cheyenne language" is actually Navajo. This made little differences to white audiences, but for Navajo communities, the film became very popular because the Navajo actors openly were using ribald and crude language that had nothing to do with the film. For example, during the scene where the treaty is signed, the chief's solemn speech just pokes fun at the size of the colonel's penis. Academics now consider this an important moment in the development of Native Americans' identity because they are able to mock Hollywood's historical interpretation of the American West

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne_Autumn#cite_note-9

It is a great film - I agree - although what do you make of the incongruent Wyatt Earp/Dodge City comedy section, which divided critics and indeed was edited out on certain prints? I cannot make up my mind about it. It is certainly a different texture from the rest of the film!

Agreed on Lincoln.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne_Autumn#cite_note-9

It is a great film - I agree - although what do you make of the incongruent Wyatt Earp/Dodge City comedy section, which divided critics and indeed was edited out on certain prints? I cannot make up my mind about it. It is certainly a different texture from the rest of the film!

Agreed on Lincoln.

I think it makes the film a bit farcical.  A lot of these big 3 hour jobbies had a touch of that so, I dunno, I wouldn't say it ruins it but it is, as you say, incongruent with the overall tone of the film.  Have you ever seen Soldier Blue? 

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think it makes the film a bit farcical.  A lot of these big 3 hour jobbies had a touch of that so, I dunno, I wouldn't say it ruins it but it is, as you say, incongruent with the overall tone of the film.  Have you ever seen Soldier Blue? 

Donald Pleasence? Yes.

Ford always likes comedy in his films. I think he thought, considering the impossibility of inserting comedy into the rest of the film given the subject matter he'd compartmentalize a comedy sequence hence the Dodge City portion. It does lesser the gravitas but I rather like it in that it builds this tapestry of the Old West (thus you have all these Indian wars, but you also have Earp and saloon gunfighters). 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Donald Pleasence? Yes.

Ford always likes comedy in his films. I think he thought, considering the impossibility of inserting comedy into the rest of the film given the subject matter he'd compartmentalize a comedy sequence hence the Dodge City portion. It does lesser the gravitas but I rather like it in that it builds this tapestry of the Old West (thus you have all these Indian wars, but you also have Earp and saloon gunfighters). 

I think the idea was that such long films would become a bit of a grind if they didn't have a bit of a giggle in em.  Its funny that sort of idea died off after the 60s, I mean Schindlers Lists never had no comic relief, did it? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think the idea was that such long films would become a bit of a grind if they didn't have a bit of a giggle in em.  Its funny that sort of idea died off after the 60s, I mean Schindlers Lists never had no comic relief, did it? :lol:

Surprisingly Schindler's List - I re-watched it awhile ago - does have some black humour in it, such as this certain conversation in the ghetto, and the sequence when Ben Kingsley's character is put on a train and Schindler threatens to deport the officious SS guy to the eastern front if he doesn't stop the train and remove him. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Surprisingly Schindler's List - I re-watched it awhile ago - does have some black humour in it, such as this certain conversation in the ghetto, and the sequence when Ben Kingsley's character is put on a train and Schindler threatens to deport the officious SS guy to the eastern front if he doesn't stop the train and remove him. 

I saw it fuckin' yonks ago and to be fair I really don't remember much about it.

On 12/01/2020 at 6:33 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw shazam. It was pretty good. The fight scenes were too long, but I liked the kids and Levy as shazam was so likable. I think it could have a sequel.

A sequel is coming out in 2022 and Black Adam is coming out Christmas 2021.

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice - first rate music doc, regardless of whether you’re a fan or not. 

Bombshell - Showtime’s The Loudest Voice was little more than a well acted guilty pleasure, but still leagues above this stilted, shallow, underdeveloped and bizarrely overpraised film.

27 minutes ago, Angelica said:

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice - first rate music doc, regardless of whether you’re a fan or not. 

Bombshell - Showtime’s The Loudest Voice was little more than a well acted guilty pleasure, but still leagues above this stilted, shallow, underdeveloped and bizarrely overpraised film.

I watched that Galaxy Quest doc you mentioned and liked it a lot.

I'd heard about the Ronstandt doc but haven't watched it yet. 

As far as Bombshell goes... If I just want to know more about the story, would you recommend I watch that The Loudest Voice instead of Bombshell? 

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I watched that Galaxy Quest doc you mentioned and liked it a lot.

I'd heard about the Ronstandt doc but haven't watched it yet. 

As far as Bombshell goes... If I just want to know more about the story, would you recommend I watch that The Loudest Voice instead of Bombshell? 

Definitely watch Loudest Voice if you’re interested in Ailes and the overall scandal(s).

It’s super awkward that TLV manages to make Ailes a fully realized human being (albeit a dumpster fire of one) better than Bombshell can flesh out Megyn Kelly. Having her the centerpiece is also a weird choice IMO, as Gretchen Carlson was the driving force behind his undoing. And her story is much more interesting and better done in TLV. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Red River (1948)

Probably one of the best, if not the best, Wayne performance.  It occurs to me thatt his best performances always show a sort of a dark side, this, The Searchers.  Great film though and Clift is brilliant in it, the west, in the hands of Howard Hawks is fuckin’ breathtaking, I especially remember those early scenes where those guys from the other firm arrive to make a big hoo ha about who the land belongs to.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Probably one of the best, if not the best, Wayne performance.  It occurs to me thatt his best performances always show a sort of a dark side, this, The Searchers.  Great film though and Clift is brilliant in it, the west, in the hands of Howard Hawks is fuckin’ breathtaking, I especially remember those early scenes where those guys from the other firm arrive to make a big hoo ha about who the land belongs to.

I have watched that film a million times. It is probably Hawks most Fordian western given the location work, the shots of the herd and horizons. Ford actually saw it and said to Wayne, ''I never knew you could act''. 

The opening in Rio Bravo is probably the greatest opening ever. A true silent cinema scene, a lesson in economy. Martin, who I think is fantastic by the way as a recovering alcoholic, enters saloon; has the shakes and is desperate for booze; is humiliated; goes to pick up the coin thrown by the bad guy; the Duke intervenes to save his honour; Martin clobbers the Duke; gunshot; etc etc. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The opening in Rio Bravo is probably the greatest opening ever. A true silent cinema scene, a lesson in economy. Martin, who I think is fantastic by the way as a recovering alcoholic, enters saloon; has the shakes and is desperate for booze; is humiliated; goes to pick up the coin thrown by the bad guy; the Duke intervenes to save his honour; Martin clobbers the Duke; gunshot; etc etc. 

'you're under arrest Joe'

'maybe so sheriff but don't turn around'

:D

• Like 1