"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Black Sabbath

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Deano playing a drunk. Must have been a hard role for him?

I actually read somewhere that Dino wasn't drinking at all. It was ice tea. Now Frank on the other hand was a mean drunk. Back in the day they all drank and smoked. Most of the rat pack died of some type of cancer.  I just found it funny how Dean Martin kept getting cast as a cowboy. His accent was terrible. lol

I watched:

The Nanny with Bette Davis

Burn Witch Burn

Child's play 2

Perkin's 14 Never heard of this movie, but it was a cool horror movie. Good storyline and tons of gory killings.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Literally three of those films are the same fuckin' film, Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo and El Dorado.

Westerns are like Kung Fu films, specifically Shaw Brothers films, or that should really be Kung Fu films are like westerns seeing as the western preceded and influenced the Asian genre. Genre films. Assembly line studio productions: same actors and crew; same or similar script; knock one off after the other.

41 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Westerns are like Kung Fu films, specifically Shaw Brothers films, or that should really be Kung Fu films are like westerns seeing as the western preceded and influenced the Asian genre. Genre films. Assembly line studio productions: same actors and crew; same or similar script; knock one off after the other.

Thats the same with any genre though isnt it?

32 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats the same with any genre though isnt it?

Yes but you need the old fashioned studio system which only really exists in Bollywood now if you are discussing how these westerns were produced. The old Hollywood lots are just used for tourism now while the Hong Kong film industry went tits up when the British left. Returning to Hollywood, Cast and crew have far more power than under the studio model (these changes began when Cary Grant was in his pomp) and now Hollywood films tend to be multi-corporate/multi-location jobs - well, the ones that are not created on a computer!

Under the old studio system the studios actually owned the cinema chains! They controlled everything, cast/crew, editing, distribution. Shaw began by buying up cinemas. It still technically exists through its television subsidiary TVB, Asia's leading TV network.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but you need the old fashioned studio system which only really exists in Bollywood now if you are discussing how these westerns were produced. The old Hollywood lots are just used for tourism now while the Hong Kong film industry went tits up when the British left. Returning to Hollywood, Cast and crew have far more power than under the studio model (these changes began when Cary Grant was in his pomp) and now Hollywood films tend to be multi-corporate/multi-location jobs - well, the ones that are not created on a computer!

Under the old studio system the studios actually owned the cinema chains! They controlled everything, cast/crew, editing, distribution. Shaw began by buying up cinemas. It still technically exists through its television subsidiary TVB, Asia's leading TV network.

A lot of good directors that were well in with the producers under the studio system had a lot more freedom though.  And also, the studio system was dead by the time your Rio Bravos and Rio Lobos and El Dorados came out.  Yeah, they fuckin' owned the lot, production, exhibition and distribution.  I think it was 4 majors (studios) and 7 minors.  Can't remember, it's been a while since my Film Studies days :lol: 

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

As wondrous as the events of the film are, the Ark of the Covenant etc, it does have an element of historicism. Himmler (not Hitler) was into hocus pocus. He sent expeditions into Tibet and Spain to find some mythical lost race. And there are all sorts of weird Nazi experiments which, to be quite frank, we simply do not know the full details of.

But regardless, wonderfully pulp American (back when America meant proper films and not a bunch of watery cgi stupidity) entertainment. Spielberg still had a pair of bollocks then, didn't he? People being fried alive etc. It is family entertainment yet Jones fries a bunch of snakes and shoots people dead. Now it would be a bunch of namby pamby politically correct bollocks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

They're all good but I'd say Rio Bravo is the best of the bunch.

Yeah, it goes Rio Bravo, El Dorado, Rio Lobo to me. 

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned.

Interview is way better. Aaliyah was still sexy as an old vampire queen. Interview was one of Cruise's best roles. And Collateral, I liked him in that one too.

Cruise never fuckin' done it for me y'know.  How that guy is rated as an actor I'll never know.  Collateral, is that the one with Jamie Fox, yeah i liked that one.  I liked him in Colour of Money too but only cuz it was a sequel to one of my favourite films ever.  Cocktail is just about tolerable for one viewing. 

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, it goes Rio Bravo, El Dorado, Rio Lobo to me. 

Cruise never fuckin' done it for me y'know.  How that guy is rated as an actor I'll never know.  Collateral, is that the one with Jamie Fox, yeah i liked that one.  I liked him in Colour of Money too but only cuz it was a sequel to one of my favourite films ever.  Cocktail is just about tolerable for one viewing. 

Yeah I'd rank em the same way. Bravo is probably a top 5 or maybe top 3 Duke western for me.

Oh I can't stand Cruise. I don't even rate him really, he's not even that good of an actor and pretty much plays every role exactly the same. Yeah Collateral is with Foxx where he's a hitman, I did enjoy watching him in that role. 

3 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah I'd rank em the same way. Bravo is probably a top 5 or maybe top 3 Duke western for me.

Oh I can't stand Cruise. I don't even rate him really, he's not even that good of an actor and pretty much plays every role exactly the same. Yeah Collateral is with Foxx where he's a hitman, I did enjoy watching him in that role. 

Tarantino rates Bravo as his top 3 movies ever, of all time, any genre.

Edited by Len Cnut

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Tarantino rates Bravo as his top 3 movies ever, of all time, any genre.

That's pretty cool. And that guy has watched a ton of movies so that's saying something.

If I had to rate the Duke, Rio, Searchers, and Liberty Valance. That would be like my trinity.

1 minute ago, J Dog said:

That's pretty cool. And that guy has watched a ton of movies so that's saying something.

If I had to rate the Duke, Rio, Searchers, and Liberty Valance. That would be like my trinity.

Its difficult for me to compile such things but Stagecoach, The Big Trail, Red River, Fort Apache would need inclusion along with the ones you've mentioned.

Wolves at the Door

I thought this movie would be about werewolves, but it was another version of the Manson killings. It sucked!

19 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Half Baked

Interview With The Vampire

Two great movies!

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:45 AM, Len Cnut said:

Eyes Wide Shut, i forgot about that!

Yeah, I was waiting for Tom to be naked, but it never happened. This movie was terrible even with the orgies scenes. lol

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:01 AM, J Dog said:

Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned.

Interview is way better. Aaliyah was still sexy as an old vampire queen. Interview was one of Cruise's best roles. And Collateral, I liked him in that one too.

If you read the book Queen of the Damned, it's way better.

The movie changed so much about Lestat which pissed me off. The book is so much better and Louie and the other vampires have bigger roles.

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Wolves at the Door

I thought this movie would be about werewolves, but it was another version of the Manson killings. It sucked!

Two great movies!

Yeah, I was waiting for Tom to be naked, but it never happened. This movie was terrible even with the orgies scenes. lol

If you read the book Queen of the Damned, it's way better.

The movie changed so much about Lestat which pissed me off. The book is so much better and Louie and the other vampires have bigger roles.

Nah man, Eyes Wide Shut was a masterpiece!

Unsullened

No one Lives

the Relic  The book this movie is based on is a great horror novel. it's the first book by Preston and Childs. The movie was good, but the book was way better.

22 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah man, Eyes Wide Shut was a masterpiece!

It was weird. It showed how Tom and Nicole had no chemistry at all. lol

She's lucky she got out of that marriage.

I wonder why Tom didn't want to be naked in this movie? lol