"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

40 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

My mate is actually strange enough to prefer The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 over the original film! I just like the original and think everything that came after is complete bollocks. 

You’re correct in that...horror movies are like that generally, those multi-sequel ones, they rely on comedic self parody more than horror.

5 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Bram Stoker's Dracula - 3.5/5

Mildly muddled storytelling and pacing, yet over the top and grandiose in style, Bram Stoker's Dracula is a fine take on the classic character, served with memorable performances from Gary Oldman and Sir Anthony Hopkins.

I have read the novel and I can tell you that Bram Stoker's is my second favourite Adaption. My favourite is still Nosferatu https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosferatu

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I have read the novel and I can tell you that Bram Stoker's is my second favourite Adaption. My favourite is still Nosferatu https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosferatu

I haven't seen Nosferatu, but I have seen Shadow of the Vampire.

Admittedly, I haven't read the novel (yet - I just got it a few weeks ago), so not sure how the pacing and storytelling is in that, but it jumps around a bit much in the film without context or explanation. Other than that, it's a nice take on the character overall.

Keanu Reeve's should not have been in the movie, though.

8 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

I haven't seen Nosferatu, but I have seen Shadow of the Vampire.

Admittedly, I haven't read the novel (yet - I just got it a few weeks ago), so not sure how the pacing and storytelling is in that, but it jumps around a bit much in the film without context or explanation. Other than that, it's a nice take on the character overall.

Keanu Reeve's should not have been in the movie, though.

That novel is definetely worth reading. It's among my top 5 books from the 19th century 

Edited by Sosso

Star Wars: Rogue One

So long as I ignore that fact that they just ditched the Bothans that were mentioned in A New Hope as primarily being responsible for getting the Death Star plans, then I really enjoy it.  I like it as for me it feels very much in the Star Wars world and I appreciate how the rebels can finally be shown to be cut throat and Machiavellian - just as is often the case with almost all rebellions. Pumped to watch A New Hope today!! 

Cell the movie was just terrible. I did read SK's book when it first came out and I don't remember much (I read a lot), but I know the movie was way different. I saw that SK wrote the screenplay too, so I guess he wanted to change it. Well, it sucked big time. Sam Jackson was the only thing good about the movie. From the first scene it was way different and it just went down hill from there.

Jeepers Creepers 3. I liked it a lot and it had a surprise ending. The whole JP3 thing has you thinking one way and then you find out it's not what you thought it was. I like surprise twists. I can see a JP 4 coming next year.

I've been watching Decades all weekend with the Dark Shadows marathon. Love this show. So cool for the time. I'm also switching to Hellraiser, Halloween and other horror movies of the weekend before Halloween! Love this time of year!

14 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I never seen Candyman y'know.  Rosemarys Baby is sick, my man John Cassavetes is in that, one of the greatest directors that ever lived.

Candyman is actually pretty decent. Not a classic, but not a throwaway horror film by any stretch.

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rosemary's Baby is a masterpiece - I prefer it to The Exorcist. The Dakota of course.

Yea I forgot how good Rosemary's Baby was. The creepy feeling that's conveyed all through the film is nice work. I mean the whole movie just has a certain vibe.

Blade Runner (The Final Cut, 1982/2007)

A Masterpiece of course but I'm not sure it differs greatly from the tried and tested Director's Cut beyond some digital jiggery-pokery on the unicorn scene.

Stargate (1994)

I hadn't seen this before. Bit shit really. Some Egyptian bollocks. Kurt Russell grunting his way in monosyllables.

The Fury (1978)

Brian De Palma. It is a bit ironic Neil Young now dates Daryl Hannah as Daryl Hannah's debut film was this in a blink-or-you'll-miss role. Carrie Snodgress, Neil's first flame, made her comeback here. She basically gave up her career for Neil following Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970) and become a hippy housewife. The Fury also stars Kirk Douglas and John Cassavetes. Bit of a silly horror film really. Bit like Carrie. And before you ask, yes I watched it for the curious Neil Young connection (basically that Neil shagged two actresses in it haha).

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Blade Runner (The Final Cut, 1982/2007)

A Masterpiece of course but I'm not sure it differs greatly from the tried and tested Director's Cut beyond some digital jiggery-pokery on the unicorn scene.

Stargate (1994)

I hadn't seen this before. Bit shit really. Some Egyptian bollocks. Kurt Russell grunting his way in monosyllables.

The Fury (1978)

Brian De Palma. It is a bit ironic Neil Young now dates Daryl Hannah as Daryl Hannah's debut film was this in a blink-or-you'll-miss role. Carrie Snodgress, Neil's first flame, made her comeback here. She basically gave up her career for Neil following Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970) and become a hippy housewife. The Fury also stars Kirk Douglas and John Cassavetes. Bit of a silly horror film really. Bit like Carrie. And before you ask, yes I watched it for the curious Neil Young connection (basically that Neil shagged two actresses in it haha).

You should watch the movies Cassavetes directed if you haven't already.  I reccomend Woman Under the Influence, Faces, Shadows and Killing of a Chinese Bookie.  They changed the way i percieve cinema.  He was sort of the founding father of independent film, though that is a case that can be argued against.  Whatever he is he is one of the most important American directors of all time. 

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

You should watch the movies Cassavetes directed if you haven't already.  I reccomend Woman Under the Influence, Faces, Shadows and Killing of a Chinese Bookie.  They changed the way i percieve cinema.  He was sort of the founding father of independent film, though that is a case that can be argued against.  Whatever he is he is one of the most important American directors of all time. 

I haven't yet but will do.

I do not have a lot of time to watch films with all the cricket I watch.