The whining thread

john lennon

You know what really grinds my gears, I remember when I was a kid we sometimes went years without a heatwave, now it's almost normal to have three in one year. I can't even remember the last summer without one.

Those idiots in Biarritz better have climate change as a priority. The summer of 2019 is turning out to be one of the warmest summers ever. Just like the summer of 2018... and 2017... and 2016... and 2015... and 2014... etc...

20 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You know what really grinds my gears, I remember when I was a kid we sometimes went years without a heatwave, now it's almost normal to have three in one year. I can't even remember the last summer without one.

Those idiots in Biarritz better have climate change as a priority. The summer of 2019 is turning out to be one of the warmest summers ever. Just like the summer of 2018... and 2017... and 2016... and 2015... and 2014... etc...

Yep, hottest summer on record here too. Just like last year, as you say. The heat broke again though and just like last time "seasonal temperatures" feels like sweater weather to me. Like chilly. Ive adapted I suppose, to some extent.

We have a Minister of Climate Change and Environment which I think is a very cool cabinet position that the current govt created. However the same govt also bought a pipeline project that was stalled in large part due to environmental concerns - they bought it to see the project through in the name of jobs. And thats always the tension. Almost makes it seem like we need a bunch of new 'green' jobs?

I still want us to participate in Eurovisio though, so maybe some of those new jobs can be a fleet of Greta boats to bring our talent to your shores.

6 minutes ago, soon said:

I still want us to participate in Eurovisio though, so maybe some of those new jobs can be a fleet of Greta boats to bring our talent to your shores.

I'm down with that, you can send in Nickelback! Or Bieber! Plenty of talent up there in the Great White North.

Maybe the US can participate too and send in Trump and Hillary as a duet.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Everywhere you go.

Well, not really, more like spring, it's 16 degrees right now. I saw people outside wearing T-shirts while I'm the fucking dork who is still wearing his winter coat and wishing for snow.

-31 with windchill here! On my way out for a christmas coffee with a neighbour. Hope you get your snow - you can take ours!

17 minutes ago, soon said:

-31 with windchill here! On my way out for a christmas coffee with a neighbour. Hope you get your snow - you can take ours!

Last time we had a white Christmas was years ago and it's not going to happen anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Maybe I should book myself a last minute ticket to Ontario, beats having a springlike Christmas.

1 hour ago, soon said:

minus fuckin' thirty one?!  You'd die wouldn't you, how can you have minus 31, I mean 0 is freezing right so minus 31 is like The Thing levels of cold innit?  Unless you're using some dodgy yank measuring scale, Farenheit and Celcius and all that bollocks, I never did get my head around all that shit.  Or do you ol' moose-shaggers use the same measuring thingie as us?  Or am I just talking complete bollocks?  Or both perhaps? :lol:

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Last time we had a white Christmas was years ago and it's not going to happen anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Maybe I should book myself a last minute ticket to Ontario, beats having a springlike Christmas.

You are a mad man! it reached -35!!!! 

You can keep warm at my place anytime, though. But you have to be nice to any children, lol.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

minus fuckin' thirty one?!  You'd die wouldn't you, how can you have minus 31, I mean 0 is freezing right so minus 31 is like The Thing levels of cold innit?  Unless you're using some dodgy yank measuring scale, Farenheit and Celcius and all that bollocks, I never did get my head around all that shit.  Or do you ol' moose-shaggers use the same measuring thingie as us?  Or am I just talking complete bollocks?  Or both perhaps? :lol:

Yeah - teeth are still chattering and Ive been back indoors for a bit already! Technically its -25 but with the wind and moisture it feels like -35. I thought Brits used Celsius like us moose-shaggers?

Windows are frozen over and look like sheets of ice. It gets this cold now and then here, but its still a shock to the system every time. Don't even ask about shrinkage! :lol::smiley-confused2:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soon said:

You are a mad man! it reached -35!!!! 

You can keep warm at my place anytime, though. But you have to be nice to any children, lol.

Yeah - teeth are still chattering and Ive been back indoors for a bit already! Technically its -25 but with the wind and moisture it feels like -35. I thought Brits used Celsius like us moose-shaggers?

Windows are frozen over and look like sheets of ice. It gets this cold now and then here, but its still a shock to the system every time. Don't even ask about shrinkage! :lol::smiley-confused2:

and they say earth is warming up :D

Calling climate change 'global warming' is so 10 years ago :P

In brief: The warming ocean waters impact the pressure systems and the wind corridors. So Ottawa is colder then usual as a result of climate change. The wind currents in the arctic have been fueled to blow further south. The polar vortex is unusually forceful due to the way the warmer water interacts with all that business. Crazy science stuff. Same reason there is more hurricanes as far as I understand.

20 minutes ago, soon said:

Sorry, I dont follow? This is you fishing?

the fish, is you

thanks for ruining my joke :max:

15 minutes ago, soon said:

Calling climate change 'global warming' is so 10 years ago :P

In brief: The warming ocean waters impact the pressure systems and the wind corridors. So Ottawa is colder then usual as a result of climate change. The wind currents in the arctic have been fueled to blow further south. The polar vortex is unusually forceful due to the way the warmer water interacts with all that business. Crazy science stuff. Same reason there is more hurricanes as far as I understand.

so we got some warm, some cold. i'm sure it'll all balance out in the end

Edited by action

20 minutes ago, action said:

yeah, you took the bait, fish face :P

geeeeeeez I hate it when I have to explain my jokes. I don't know if I should laugh or cry!

Well, sheesh. I think its good manner to respond to people. I guess if it makes you happy I could ignore when you talk to me in case its a trick? But now that you've called me fish face I hope that you do cry! :lol:

1 hour ago, soon said:

You are a mad man! it reached -35!!!! :smiley-confused2:

That is chilly indeed. But I would still prefer that to the 40 degrees we experienced last summer. You can at least dress for the cold, when it gets so hot all you can do is sit in front of the airconditioning. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is untrue that it never snows in Europe; 

Who says it never snows in Europe? Depends on where you go.

Edited by EvanG

29 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That is chilly indeed. But I would still prefer that to the 40 degrees we experienced last summer. You can at least dress for the cold, when it gets so hot all you can do is sit in front of the airconditioning. 

What I like when its super cold is that I am all covered in winter gear so no one will recognize me and stop me for small talk. I guess when its super hot out walking around naked might have a similar effect with some people...

• Haha 1

I got a very thoughtful gift, as a surprise. Beeswax-based, organic, reusable and compostable food wraps. They replace plastic wrap/ cellophane. Love these things. Make some of my own, but prefer the store bought.

This gift came wrapped in single use wrapping paper :facepalm::lol: 

It literally could have been used to wrap the other gifts! Oh, well. This is a journey that we are all on together. :) :headbang: