GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, in a strange way, it all hangs together...particularly the last 5 songs.  I'm not speaking lyrically so much (although there are common themes that tie all the songs together).  But musically, it's one journey with a beginning, middle and end - for me.  Which is why I prefer to play it in order rather than on shuffle.  Musically, it's all quite manic/frantic/joyful at times, peaking at Riad (the most hyperactive song on there...someone else here referred to it as the most AFD sounding song on steroids, which I'd agree with) and then the album changes tone with Sorry, which to me, signals the last act so to speak.  Ack, I'm stopping now. :lol:

I'm sorry, I don't see it :shrugs:

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Maybe you just need a break from the band?  I guess I'm not disenchanted because I haven't followed them for as long as you guys (I stopped after Illusions era) so I didn't go through the dark years. LOL  

Yeah.

Actually I have not read much about them since my last show that I attended.... I really dont give a fuck about this tour anymore. Its sooooooooo boring and repetitive and a fuckin' drag. I want them to go home and get into a studio, make some fuckin' new music and put it out. Is it so hard to do it?

Yes, it is :max:

I've been a fan since the beginning of times, never gave up, but now its worse because they are actually out there but its like history repeating or something. I lived the moment with them. I was there in the peak of their career and all the years after. To me this is pure nostalgia and I wish it didn't last so long.

Nothing wrong with nostalgia but it comes a time when you dont want it anymore or need to move forward. Live in the present times. And I feel this band can't fuckin' stop living in the past. That's the disappoinment I feel.... feeling like there's no sign that they will stop acting as if it was still 1992. Sucks.

1 hour ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

@Andy14 that is the reason that I give it a try, but the versions live are more interesting in my opinion and must be because Slash is playing them...he is a marvel with that guitar

I agree.....for me CD has been growing on me leaps and bounds *because* of Slash :slash: and the songs being done live. Those 2 things! rock3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgnr said:

Catcher? Shit, I tried so much with this one. Like so much, you have no idea. I like to read a lot, and Catcher in the Rye is my fav book, I really love that shit and Axl's lyrics are so beautiful and I definitely can connect with them, but the song is so overproduced, the vocals are so lame and wtf is happening with drums there, that I just can't stand it.

But have you listened to the demo? Not only it's less overproduced, it also features the one and only Sir Brian May instead of boring Bumblefoot.

3 hours ago, dgnr said:

If the World? This is a bold statement, but it's the worst thing that I've ever heard. Sorry @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle, but I hope he was able to keep that one in the vault forever.

Couldn't agree more, except there is ONE song that's even worse than If The World and it was also written by Axl; My World. I swear if Axl ever releases another song (:lol:) with the word "world" on it, I'm not even taking the risk of listening to it!

3 hours ago, dgnr said:

So, yeah, I hope I can connect with it some day. I really do. It's just music at the end of the day. And from my favorite singer. It must have something good. I just can't see what am I missing :shrugs:

You're not really missing anything. If it doesn't work for you, then there's no point in forcing it while there's so much more music to listen to.

3 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

This is like a CD therapy thread. :rofl-lol: 

@BorderlineCrazy Hey, at least you were able to enjoy SOD and Robin's solo on that, so that's something right? :awesomeface:  Damn it meant to say TWAT.  not SOD.  LOL But then you meant SOD...I'm losing it.

@dgnr  No worries, If The World isn't my worst crime in CD hater's eyes.  That would be Riad. :lol:  Have you ever tried listening to Riad?  I live for that song but even CD enthusiasts want to punch someone when it comes on. LOL

I'm so confused, can't really understand what you said to me :lol: Anyway, I really like both SOD and TWAT. Robin's solo on SOD and Bucket's on TWAT are EPIC!

Riad is a shitty song but not nearly as bad as ITW. I think Riad would have benefited a lot of not having Axl's stupid "ahhhhh ahhhh ahhhhhhhhh" over the riff. Was he being fucked or what? Adrianna Smith's revenge? :huh:

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

And no, poor Slash isn't forced to play them :max:

Of course he is forced to play them. Forced by his own greediness :ph34r:

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

I agree.....for me CD has been growing on me leaps and bounds *because* of Slash :slash: and the songs being done live. Those 2 things! rock3

Haha it caused the opposite reaction on me. They only song that I'm ok with them playing from CD is the title track. I feel like punching them multiple times every time they play one of the others <_<

3 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Haha it caused the opposite reaction on me. They only song that I'm ok with them playing from CD is the title track. I feel like punching them multiple times every time they play one of the others <_<

LOL...yeah,I like some of the CD songs, but will say this... I feel no more than 4 max....would rather hear other songs like OTGM, or other songs from the Illusion albums!!! :headbang:

4 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@dgnr  No worries, If The World isn't my worst crime in CD hater's eyes.  That would be Riad. :lol:  Have you ever tried listening to Riad?  I live for that song but even CD enthusiasts want to punch someone when it comes on. LOL

It's one of those that I also hate. But still, If the World remains as my much hated song ever, so Riad is fine when compared to it :P 

3 hours ago, janrichmond said:

if you can handle CD then the Menopause will be a walk in the park :lol:

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

3 hours ago, Andy14 said:

There's definitely something special between them lately and I like it :headbang:

Yiss! We haven't dedicated a lot of time in this thread discussing this topic for good ( how come??? :max:) but I've been noticing this as well. I don't know, their interaction lately just seems more natural, like some chemistry that was missing seems to be there again. The Slaxl is stronger in my opinion :P 

44 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

But have you listened to the demo? Not only it's less overproduced, it also features the one and only Sir Brian May instead of boring Bumblefoot.

Of course I did, it has Brian Harold May, that Love of My Life :P But I still can't connect with it. I think my problem with Catcher is mostly Axl's vocals. Too clean and the 'na-na-nas/ah-ah-ahs' are just a turn off for me :shrugs: TIL, for example, is a song that I can listen live, I like what Slash does with the solo and it has more energy than the album version, but Catcher not even with Slash playing it, I just can't like it.

Couldn't agree more, except there is ONE song that's even worse than If The World and it was also written by Axl; My World. I swear if Axl ever releases another song (:lol:) with the word "world" on it, I'm not even taking the risk of listening to it!

At least 'My World' is kind of funny. I went to listen to it again now, cause I haven't listened in some time, and when it ends I'm just like 'Ok. This is different, gonna listen again'. With ITW at the 30 seconds mark I'm already 'Jesus, make it stop' :P 

You're not really missing anything. If it doesn't work for you, then there's no point in forcing it while there's so much more music to listen to.

Yeah, I know. But since they insist in playing half of the album live, I would just enjoy more the show if I actually liked the album and not thinking 'Oh no, they're playing another song from that shitty album' :ph34r::P 

Edited by dgnr
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Here's another love pat, this time from Axl's side 

(and yes, I know it's because he nearly hit Slash :max:)

And the little weirdo wore different boots again last night

(and pulled a bra out of Slash's hat :smiley-confused2:)

23967465_376111512842749_4556403252387643392_n.jpg

I always miss the good stuff while I'm sleeping. :max:

Is it just me or did Slash realize Axl had given him a love pat and his face and body went slack shortly after that in the video?

I'd also like to know how that bra got into Slash's hat. 

Edited by purplestargirl

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

LOL...yeah,I like some of the CD songs, but will say this... I feel no more than 4 max....would rather hear other songs like OTGM, or other songs from the Illusion albums!!! :headbang:

I can't believe they're not playing Out Ta Get Me anymore, it was one of the highlights of the shows (even when they didn't have the almighty Steven Adler on drums)! I'm often blown away by the level of stupidity the three stooges can reach.

24 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Of course I did, it has Brian Harold May, that Love of My Life :P But I still can't connect with it. I think my problem with Catcher is mostly Axl's vocals. Too clean and the 'na-na-nas/ah-ah-ahs' are just a turn off for me :shrugs: TIL, for example, is a song that I can listen live, I like what Slash does with the solo and it has more energy than the album version, but Catcher not even with Slash playing it, I just can't like it.

Wow, you can listen to TIL? That song is painfully boring! Axl's sustained notes and the solo are the only decent moments on it. I find Catcher to be way better although I'm not a big fan of it either.

27 minutes ago, dgnr said:

At least 'My World' is kind of funny. I went to listen to it again now, cause I haven't listened in some time, and when it ends I'm just like 'Ok. This is different, gonna listen again'. With ITW at the 30 seconds mark I'm already 'Jesus, make it stop' :P 

Funny? My World? Uhmmm.... :smiley-confused2:

28 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Yeah, I know. But since they insist in playing half of the album live, I would just enjoy more the show if I actually liked the album and not thinking 'Oh no, they're playing another song from that shitty album' :ph34r::P 

I don't know, that hasn't worked for me. I really like the album but you know I feel like killing myself (or them!) when they play songs off it. It's never gonna be as good as the UYIs and it's never gonna be GNR, so.... :vomit:

6 hours ago, Tori72 said:

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: Love it. 

It sounds whiney and self indulgent and self pitying and too orchestrated something rock to me. I don't feel energy at all. Not even sentimental energy. Even for the better songs like "Better" or the melody on "This I love" which is quite pretty. But I can't FEEL anything. I have no feeling for CD other than annoyance. Sorry, @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle :P

It's not a good sign when so many are really try to 'get' CD.

It's like eating a carob cake, it looks like chocolate, you love chocolate, so you eat & eat trying to get that little taste of heaven, & it just doesn't happen. You tried it, but now all you've got is a huge dislike for carob, & you feel duped.

(Yes, I have horror stories of carob muffins in my childhood)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Not Riad he ain't :P i've been watching old nuguns videos some of them are so funny:lol:

Eeesh, I just saw a live Madagascar video of old nuguns, & Axl whips out an electric guitar & starts playing with the boys.

If there was ever a sign for needing therapy, that was it. Axl forgot himself.

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Oh god yeah, what was he thinking? Like when he used to play the intro to Dead Horse and a bit of Devo or those clips from the 80s when he played Duffs bass and jams with the band and omg the horror of when he played Matts drum kit in Argentina! 😱

:D

That drumming was so lovely to see. He was like a 12 year old. :D 

• Haha 2

my few words: when CD came out I was so courious but when I listened 1st time the album I was like WTF thats not GNR that s not even hardrock or rock or any music style I could make a definition of.

I tried to like it but the only songs I liked then were Better and TIL. the rest was crap for me. is still crap in 2017... I dont like the music I dont like the lack or rawness or hardrock and Axl s voice cant make it better because the music and melody is so painful that I dont care about him being the singer. I liked Axl/Dc a lot live. why cause its rock. I wish they would stop in 2018 with these cd songs.

and like killyouridols the song I hate most is if the world. it seems a james bong song foe me with that strange music/instruments. awful..

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Oh god yeah, what was he thinking? Like when he used to play the intro to Dead Horse and a bit of Devo or those clips from the 80s when he played Duffs bass and jams with the band and omg the horror of when he played Matts drum kit in Argentina! 😱

:D

This is sarcasm, right? because those moments were awesome:D

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

This is sarcasm, right? because those moments were awesome:D

Yeah, I just don't think Axl playing a guitar or whatever for a couple of minutes during a song during whatever era of his live performances is a bad thing :shrugs:

In fact, I wish he would play the guitar nowadays (even electric) or jump up onto the drum kit...

• Like 4

As much as I love CD, the biggest issue I have with it is Axl's vocals. It works on some songs but not others. I have loved Madagascar and The Blues since I heard it back in 2002 because his vocals fit the songs imo. TWAT is another one where the vocals fit and that Buckethead solo is fucking euphoric! In other songs I feel that the vocals don't match the intensity of the music. Like, I adore melody and instrumental arrangement of TIL and Prostitute but the vocals on it are a total miss for me.

A few years ago when CD was available on Rock Band, I made alt mixes for some of the songs (particularly TIL and Prostitute) and that is the version I almost exclusively listen to now.

The only CD songs I cannot get into are I.R.S and ITW.

Side note: Have any of you checked out the covers Gareth Rhodes (axl77) has done of some CD songs on YT? They're quite good...

Edited by KiraMPD
  • Like 1

For me when the album came out I was so happy to hear axl singing and glad  that it had finally been released, prostitute was always the stand out track for me.

People say its not a guns record but we don't know how the band would have developed I still listen to it probably more than appetite and the illusions, I'm glad people are still  discovering it 💛

I remeber the time the CD leaks came out. I listened to some of them and I wasn't impressed. But I thought those were just demos. When the album came up I bought it. I listened to it and I didn't like it. It is not a hard rock album. There are no powerful balads either. I like SOD and Madagascar. But they are not at the same level with NR or Don't Cry. There are other songs that I just don't understand what they are about. The lyrics and music in general I find them boring. I don't find memorable rifs nor memorable intros or lyrics. I think Sorry would've been much better as a hard rock song. It has the potential to be a GN'R song. But the music doesn't fit the lyrics, at least some of them. But even if I would've liked the album. The fact remains that is an irrelevant album. It didn't make any impact outside GN'R forums. That's why I don't understand why during a reunion tour they are playing so many CD songs.

• Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you american women of this thread! Anyway I just come across this Meegan's insta post where she talks a bit about what they're gonna eat on Thanksgiving, reveals that Turkey is Slash's favourite meal, etc. She says she's gonna make a Birthday Cake, so I can only assume that Axl is coming to Slash's and they're gonna celebrate Chinese Democracy birthday together :smiley-confused2: It has to be that, right? :P 

Edited by dgnr
  • Like 3