GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

2 hours ago, Kira said:

Anyone seen the movie Her Smell?  Elizabeth Moss plays a self destructive rock star whose character was partially inspired by Axl.

at the end of this clip they actually use his famous quote from rolling stone magazine about showing up late to his funeral. https://youtu.be/RoRVcsAEt0w

There was an interview about that recently.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/09/elisabeth-moss-her-smell-poster-toronto-film-festival

7 hours ago, Kira said:

Anyone seen the movie Her Smell?  Elizabeth Moss plays a self destructive rock star whose character was partially inspired by Axl.

at the end of this clip they actually use his famous quote from rolling stone magazine about showing up late to his funeral. https://youtu.be/RoRVcsAEt0w

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Very interesting, you two, thank you.

“I started thinking about grand epic tragedies,” he said, “and grand epic personalities in the rock world. By the end of that summer, I knew exactly what the movie was.”

This is how I think about the story of GnR (for me it all ended 93 and half-ass returned in 2016 but that’s another story): A grand epic drama. A downfall, a tragedy even, at least in that close shell from 85 to 93. Everything so fast, so high up, so much talent and possibilities and grandness and yet so much talent wasted, chances not used, wrong decisions, insanity. They are real people but their story can easily be spun to be a drama. Looking forward to watching the film, hope the director could make his vision become real. (Ha!)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I've been feeling super depressed all week since the SMKC show :(

Yes, I know the feeling!! And I also know how to heal it :P The answer is - and I'm sorry your bank acount won't agree - more concerts. Last year after the GNR show I went to see Aerosmith and this year Steven Tyler with his solo project and Nuno Bettencourt. So choose a band you like, don't think about the money and just go... It will feel better :hug:

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, triad said:

But why?  :hug:

Idk I just don't feel like I'll ever reach that level that I want to with my own music. I've been feeling depressed because of some other things as well. I saw Slash and the album comes out in a few days so I should be happy right?

7 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Yes, I know the feeling!! And I also know how to heal it :P The answer is - and I'm sorry your bank acount won't agree - more concerts. Last year after the GNR show I went to see Aerosmith and this year Steven Tyler with his solo project and Nuno Bettencourt. So choose a band you like, don't think about the money and just go... It will feel better :hug:

Well I'm poor so I can't really afford to do that but there is one show that I'm going to next month so maybe that'll help.

9 hours ago, dgnr said:

Haha, I do the same, I go to at least three concerts a year and that way there’s always something I’m waiting for. This year I’ve only been to Download so far but I have tickets for Jack White and The Prodigy yet to see... then I’ll be looking for next year.

* And I saw Iron Maiden last month, forgot about that one :lol:

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Wow? What was your impression of him? Did you talk? COME ON! Tell us all about it, man! :wow:

2 hours ago, money honey said:

Whaaat?? Is this and your depression linked?? Do tell!

At the Slash concert they were handing out free tickets for the show that was last night. It was the SiriusXM Hair Nation tour (hosted by Eddie Trunk) with Enuff Znuff, BulletBoys, and Jack Russell's Great White. Alan lives in the same state as me and he used to manage Great White back in the 80s so he was there for the show. He was nice, didn't really want to talk about GnR so I didn't push it, otherwise I would've asked him about his story of Izzy supposedly going to a soundcheck in 2016. He said he came down for the Slash show this weekend and hung out with him that afternoon then left before the crowds arrived. We mostly just talked about the music scene (or lack of) in our city and I told him about my music stuff. I still don't think he's a credible source for current GnR info but him and his wife were cool to talk to. I saw Eddie Trunk also but didn't get a chance to talk to him.

It was funny to see these bands play and compare it to current GnR since they all came out of the 80s rock scene. Those bands have only 1 original member. GnR I think still has some authenticity whereas these other bands look like a caricature of their former selves, jumping around stage and trying to pretend it's still the 80s.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

* And I saw Iron Maiden last month, forgot about that one :lol:

How could you forget you saw Iron Maiden, young lady? :max: I really like Iron Maiden, it's on my bucket list for years now but, for one reason or another, I could never make it to one of their shows. Good news is they're always playing here, so maybe next year or in 2 years :shrugs: But how was the show?  Doesn't sound it had a huge impact on you :lol:

------
On other news: just got my ticket for God Slash show today :headbang:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dgnr said:

How could you forget you saw Iron Maiden, young lady? :max: I really like Iron Maiden, it's on my bucket list for years now but, for one reason or another, I could never make it to one of their shows. Good news is they're always playing here, so maybe next year or in 2 years :shrugs: But how was the show?  Doesn't sound it had a huge impact on you :lol:

------
On other news: just got my ticket for God Slash show today :headbang:

I don’t know how I forgot to write it in my post because it was an amazing show, one of the best I’ve ever been to. They sound awesome, really loud but not distorted, same level as AC/DC! I would really recommend getting a ticket because it’s a two hour show packed with songs you know all of the words to and the band rips through them - and I don’t know how Nicko drums like that for so long, he is amazing! 

Also Bruce promises to not talk as much as usual so they can fit the songs in :lol:

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

At the Slash concert they were handing out free tickets for the show that was last night. It was the SiriusXM Hair Nation tour (hosted by Eddie Trunk) with Enuff Znuff, BulletBoys, and Jack Russell's Great White. Alan lives in the same state as me and he used to manage Great White back in the 80s so he was there for the show. He was nice, didn't really want to talk about GnR so I didn't push it, otherwise I would've asked him about his story of Izzy supposedly going to a soundcheck in 2016. He said he came down for the Slash show this weekend and hung out with him that afternoon then left before the crowds arrived. We mostly just talked about the music scene (or lack of) in our city and I told him about my music stuff. I still don't think he's a credible source for current GnR info but him and his wife were cool to talk to. I saw Eddie Trunk also but didn't get a chance to talk to him.

Damn! I get that it’s difficult to ask when someone clearly doesn’t want to talk about a subject but it’d be cool to know why does Slash say what Niven told Mick Wall about Erin and Meegan isn’t true....why did Niven lie about that! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Damn! I get that it’s difficult to ask when someone clearly doesn’t want to talk about a subject but it’d be cool to know why does Slash say what Niven told Mick Wall about Erin and Meegan isn’t true....why did Niven lie about that! 

Orrr better: Who’s lying now? You never know with this band... Not the first time Slash would have lied. Not the first for Niven either :rofl-lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Orrr better: Who’s lying now? You never know with this band... Not the first time Slash would have lied. Not the first for Niven either :rofl-lol:

I would love to have seen a video of his answer because the way it’s written it’s like he spluttered over the answer a little :lol:

So yeah, who knows!