British Politics

Gracii Guns

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

You know who’s not to blame? The people who didn’t vote for this nonsense. Perversely I suppose that would include you. 😂

Well that is democracy, excised here through the winning margin of the referendum. You sometimes don't receive what you desire in democracy. I didn't vote for Blair either yet I received Blair for a decade because I got outvoted. I didn't complain - yes, I may have complained about Tony Blair but I didn't complain about the mechanism of democracy.

Is Trump boring you or summit? 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well that is democracy, excised here through the winning margin of the referendum. You sometimes don't receive what you desire in democracy. I didn't vote for Blair either yet I received Blair for a decade because I got outvoted. I didn't complain - yes, I may have complained about Tony Blair but I didn't complain about the mechanism of democracy.

Is Trump boring you or summit? 

On the contrary. I suspect he's going to be very good value for money on the entertainment front in the coming days. :lol: 

But back to Brexit in the meantime.

131091946_3193742417397687_4329937512766

:lol: 

Edited by Dazey

Love it,

_116037703_starfront1212-nc.png

1 hour ago, soon said:

More sexy navy action for you to pour over! :P And this time those sailors are doing it to protect you :wub:

And all because I was reading a lot of books on the Georgian navy? I am currently reading a lot of books on serial killers: this does not mean I'd want to shag Rose West.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And all because I was reading a lot of books on the Georgian navy? I am currently reading a lot of books on serial killers: this does not mean I'd want to shag Rose West.

So, you’d like to highlight that you don’t only read about fabulous naval men, but that you also read about serial killers.

And that’s why you’re not a sex maniac? Haha

Edited by soon

Just now, soon said:

So, you’d like to highlight that you don’t only read about fabulous naval men, but that you also read about serial killers.

And that’s why your not a sex maniac? Haha

I read books on an assorted number of subjects, but history dominates. Awhile ago I was reading a tome on sea angling (I resumed fishing during lockdown). Before that I was reading the Grimm Brothers in German. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I read books on an assorted number of subjects, but history dominates. Awhile ago I was reading a tome on sea angling (I resumed fishing during lockdown). Before that I was reading the Grimm Brothers in German. 

Let’s take a look at some of your word choices,

- “dominate”

- “Grimms Brothers”

- “German”

Yeah, sex maniac, sex maniac, sex maniac! :lol:

j/k

I attempt to catch fish myself. How’s your luck?

Also seriously, when the climate crisis sees ocean levels rise enough to drown your coasts, do you figure the EU will sea angle y’all? Even just for sport?

1 minute ago, soon said:

I attempt to catch fish myself. How’s your luck?

Also seriously, when the climate crisis sees ocean levels rise enough to drown your coasts, do you figure the EU will sea angle y’all? Even just for sport?

Terrible. Didn't catch a sprat.

If that happens, Holland is buggered.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Terrible. Didn't catch a sprat.

If that happens, Holland is buggered.

Same. I haven’t caught a fish since I was knee high. Just nice to be out there though, eh?

The climate crisis is happening and we’re all buggered. It’s cool though - we’ll let all your womenfolk live here. I mean, we even have trade deals, so that’s the least we can do! :P

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Same. I haven’t caught a fish since I was knee high. Just nice to be out there though, eh?

The climate crisis is happening and we’re all buggered. It’s cool though - we’ll let all your womenfolk live here. I mean, we even have trade deals, so that’s the least we can do! :P

Assuming you're correct, you'll be kaput when it happens, so who cares? In sixty years' time scientists will have developed force fields that keep the sea levels back, and humans, pansexuals of course and all thoroughly radicalised in diversity, will be repopulating Mars or some other planet to spread the woke to alien populations.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Assuming you're correct, you'll be kaput when it happens, so who cares? In sixty years' time scientists will have developed force fields that keep the sea levels back, and humans, pansexuals of course and all thoroughly radicalised in diversity, will be repopulating Mars or some other planet to spread the woke to alien populations.

You’re not a sex maniac, but when you envision you’re own future you see yourself as a disaffected, resentful, pansexual living as a breeder on an alien planet? :lol:

(The climate crisis is now/ already. And we are not all kaput. You’ll be displaced very soon. Long before I feel that degree of impact)

There is also an assumption that, by Brexit being labelled inherently a ''bad thing'' for Britain, that the EU is in some sort of perfect stasis, and that Britain will not be jettisoning stored-up tensions in the organisation (and perhaps even the seeds of its disintegration). We are not ditching an organisation with strong foundations and spectacular prospects for growth. The EU faces considerable challenges irrespective of Brexit; disagreements between northern and southern members over corona-relief; disagreements with eastern member states over subjects such as gay rights; there are also still the more general problems over its constitution and wealth discrepancy. Further, Euroscepticism will not vanish along with the Brits - the Greeks and Italians are not quick to forget.

None of this is Britain's direct concern any longer - not that we had much influence in the first place. We no longer have to attend those annual tedious Councils in which the Prime Minister tries to jockey for position, usually in alliance with the Poles and Swedes, against the Franco-German bemouth, and return cap in hand. Our politics will be unlimbered, and attentions focused elsewhere.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Bloody great, isn't it? I want them to go in belting out 'Hearts of Oak''. 

PS/Breaking news,

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1371499/Brexit-no-deal-warning-fishing-france-macron-uk-armed-forces

I'm starting to like Boris again. The bugger was visiting my running route yesterday. This is literally where I run, towards and beyond that church in the distance, beach/sea on (Boris' right). No, I don't know why he looks like he is crapping his pants either but he is facing a public toilet which has been closed since coroney so: make do I suppose?

36741842-9044873-No_deal_is_now_very_very_likely_Boris_Johnson_last_night_warned_-a-5_1607732686447.jpg.b87bf1aa5a7c5564682da00824d420b2.jpg

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

This is probably one of the stupidest bits of remoaner dross I have ever heard. Firstly, fishing is a subsistence industry and therefore of greater importance than a luxury (using jargon, Games Workshop is a consumer discretionary whereas fishing is a consumer staple). Secondly, it (again) factors out historic/future industrial growth/decline of the two; a snapshot of 1975 would have produced a collosus (fishing) and a tiny little shop staffed by weirdo beardos (Games Workshop), and unlimbered from the CFP one can expect exponential growth in British fisheries, whilst nerds may ditch Orcs for Star Wars at some unforeseen point (NB., the collapse of comic sales after the mid '90s). Thirdly, Games Workshop is retail whereas fishing is: retail, catching, harvesting and manufacturing, with an impact on growth in coastal communities. Fourthly, British fisheries employs 12,000 people. Games Workshop employs 2,188.

Fifthly, it is utter bullshit according to my research. British fisherman catch circa £987 million worth of fish per annum. Games Workshop's 2019 revenue (I obtained this from their wiki page): £256.6 million - and their net income £65.8 million.

PS

He is also comparing a retail business to an entire industrial sector. Would one compare Primark to mining or energy? Maybe but it seems a bit of a waste of time!

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

Oh - just clicked on his tweet - he is simply taking fishing revenue and comparing it with Games Workshop's market cap? Well (this is the problem with comparing a business to an entire sector) to produce such a comparison honestly - this tweeter is clearly very biased - you'd have to amalgamate the market caps from every business associated with fishing. And then, complicating things further, many fishermen are self-employed meaning you'd have to incorporate their income before taxes. 

• Haha 1