A "The Spaghetti Incident?" review nobody asked for

Obviously Guns' best album, right? Fuck this album, it had so much potential. It feels like they decided to extend it from an EP (hey puns) to a full length album in order to be like "Hey where's still dangerous and badass" and to me it just doesn't sound right. They don't have the "attitude" they should on a punk album, for fuck sake Duff was the most punk out of the five original guys so what's the issue? The same issue everyone had with Chinese (Even tho the title track, Shackler's Revenge and If The World are all fucking amazing). It's not the original line up, to me Sorum just sounds like he's trying to replicate Steven and doesn't succeed, he worked on Illusion but not here. Then Gilby is the key element here that I think makes this album fail. I think if Izzy and Slash had the interplay and intertwining guitar sound they had on Appetite this album would have been the shit but instead it's the forgotten GnR album. When I listen to it all I hear is lost potential to what could of been a great album. The thing I like most about this album is the fucking title because its a cool little nod to Steven Adler. I literally photoshopped the Live Era and Spaghetti cover into each other and use it as Live Era's cover because I find Live Era's cover boring for what it is.tumblr_osakmp9LRd1tka76bo1_1280.png

I see it as more than a punk cover album. 50s doo-wop to punk to soundgarden to Beatles to Manson, it has it all. It introduced me to a ton of music I probably never would have heard if not.

I always loved the drumming on it. Matt's loose as a goose.  I wonder what uyi would sound like with that production?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sprite said:

I see it as more than a punk cover album. 50s doo-wop to punk to soundgarden to Beatles to Manson, it has it all. It introduced me to a ton of music I probably never would have heard if not.

I always loved the drumming on it. Matt's loose as a goose.  I wonder what uyi would sound like with that production?

Beatles?

49 minutes ago, soon said:

Beatles?

1 hour ago, Sprite said:

I think they mean The Skyliners and yeah that's one of the few songs I think is OK on the album but still not worth being on my phone :shrugs:

26 minutes ago, Marie82 said:

Ok. 

@98izzark Do you feel better now? :lol:

Yes, yes I do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sprite said:

The end of hair of the dog has the guitar intro of day tripper.

oh, cool.  Never noticed that.  the main riff was a clear lift of that to begin with so cool they made the reference.  thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

Yup and 70's hard rock with Nazareth.. It has Beatles on it?

Just now, soon said:

oh, cool.  Never noticed that.  the main riff was a clear lift of that to begin with so cool they made the reference.  thanks!

That's how I always heard t anyway. I thought it said something about daytripper in the booklet? But I haven't seen that in years. 

1 minute ago, Sprite said:

That's how I always heard t anyway. I thought it said something about daytripper in the booklet? But I haven't seen that in years. 

yeah, he's definitely playing the riff differently as the track comes to an end.  Just once.  Sounds like day tripper to me.  I haven't seen booklet in years either.  Wish Id kept more of them

4 minutes ago, EvH said:

Some of Matt's finest drumming and tone. I don't know where you're getting your "trying to replicate Steven" from.

Because it sounds like Appetite, Down on the Farm is a prime example. Steven woulda make it sound much better. 

Edited by 98izzark

39 minutes ago, EvH said:

Some of Matt's finest drumming and tone. I don't know where you're getting your "trying to replicate Steven" from.

Objectively, he sounds really good on that album and SFTD. Way better imho than UYI.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Objectively, he sounds really good on that album and SFTD. Way better imho than UYI.

True, if only the drums had been mixed that way on UYI...

And totally agreed regarding Matt on SFTD.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 98izzark said:

Because it sounds like Appetite, Down on the Farm is a prime example. Steven woulda make it sound much better. 

I doesn't sound even remotely similar to Appetite. More polished but still way drier.

They made hardrock out of the punk songs. Raw Power for example. In its original form it is a real dirty punk song.

Axl and Duff couldn't immitate Iggy's rawness.

Matt's drumming and Slash's leadguitar are way to precise. 

I love both versions. But it's exactly that. Stooges played a wild punk song while Guns did a accurate hardrock song. Both great. And that's the case with many other songs too on this record.

45 minutes ago, EvH said:

I doesn't sound even remotely similar to Appetite. More polished but still way drier.

I think what he might mean is that Steven is a more punk-y drummer compared to Matt who is more of a metal/hard rock guy. Since those were punk covers, Steven may have had the right loose and limber feel for them.

Who knows. :shrugs:

Edited by RONIN