A "The Spaghetti Incident?" review nobody asked for

If you want punk rawness or whatever, listen to the originals. They took songs they loved and played them with their sound. I like it. They were the biggest band in the world at the time and some people think they should've recorded an album in a fuckin bus station men's room or something... 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, 98izzark said:

Obviously Guns' best album, right? Fuck this album, it had so much potential. It feels like they decided to extend it from an EP (hey puns) to a full length album in order to be like "Hey where's still dangerous and badass" and to me it just doesn't sound right. They don't have the "attitude" they should on a punk album, for fuck sake Duff was the most punk out of the five original guys so what's the issue? The same issue everyone had with Chinese (Even tho the title track, Shackler's Revenge and If The World are all fucking amazing). It's not the original line up, to me Sorum just sounds like he's trying to replicate Steven and doesn't succeed, he worked on Illusion but not here. Then Gilby is the key element here that I think makes this album fail. I think if Izzy and Slash had the interplay and intertwining guitar sound they had on Appetite this album would have been the shit but instead it's the forgotten GnR album. When I listen to it all I hear is lost potential to what could of been a great album. The thing I like most about this album is the fucking title because its a cool little nod to Steven Adler. I literally photoshopped the Live Era and Spaghetti cover into each other and use it as Live Era's cover because I find Live Era's cover boring for what it is.tumblr_osakmp9LRd1tka76bo1_1280.png

man would you share a bit of whatever it is that you are taking? i really feel like I wanna cut and past album covers on photoshop too :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

They made hardrock out of the punk songs. Raw Power for example. In its original form it is a real dirty punk song.

Axl and Duff couldn't immitate Iggy's rawness.

Matt's drumming and Slash's leadguitar are way to precise. 

I love both versions. But it's exactly that. Stooges played a wild punk song while Guns did a accurate hardrock song. Both great. And that's the case with many other songs too on this record.

i was shocked when i listened to the original version of down on the farm. now those guys in UK subs play really bad, it sounds like the drummer is playing one song, the guitars are playing another and the singer is singing another one! god bless them for writing this song, GNR version is beyond awesome :headbang:

EDIT: sorry the recording above is not the original, its a re-recording

the original is below -- it is not that bad

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

If you want punk rawness or whatever, listen to the originals. They took songs they loved and played them with their sound. I like it. They were the biggest band in the world at the time and some people think they should've recorded an album in a fuckin bus station men's room or something... 

True. They did what they wanted to do. I didn't really like this album but there are a few tracks I really liked. 

They sound great on TSI though. Way better than UYI. It's real tight. I wish so much that we got a GnR record between '94-96. I think the band was peaking creatively during this period.

14 minutes ago, RONIN said:

True. They did what they wanted to do. I didn't really like this album but there are a few tracks I really liked. 

They sound great on TSI though. Way better than UYI. It's real tight. I wish so much that we got a GnR record between '94-96. I think the band was peaking creatively during this period.

hopefully we will get recordings of rehearsals and writing sessions from all these years where the band had money to spend on good studios (1988-1996) someday

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

I think what he might mean is that Steven is a more punk-y drummer compared to Matt who is more of a metal/hard rock guy. Since those were punk covers, Steven may have had the right loose and limber feel for them.

Who knows. :shrugs:

Yeah I was just referring to the drumming, it sounds nothing like the Illusion albums and has more of an Appetite feel

59 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

man would you share a bit of whatever it is that you are taking? i really feel like I wanna cut and past album covers on photoshop too :rofl-lol:

?? Like I said above I like the story behind the album and the title just not the contents and I liked the cover more than the Live Era cover so fuck it ya know ?

2 hours ago, Walapino said:

The sound of the album is pretty good. Probably their best in that regard.

13 hours ago, Free Bird said:

They made hardrock out of the punk songs. Raw Power for example. In its original form it is a real dirty punk song.

Axl and Duff couldn't immitate Iggy's rawness.

Matt's drumming and Slash's leadguitar are way to precise. 

I love both versions. But it's exactly that. Stooges played a wild punk song while Guns did a accurate hardrock song. Both great. And that's the case with many other songs too on this record.

That's called creative freedom. 

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

Punk meets Hard rock is kind of the basic GNR idea. 

I would say Hard Rock as the primary element and punk, blues, industrial, etc. as additional elements

Edited by Sosso

11 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i was shocked when i listened to the original version of down on the farm. now those guys in UK subs play really bad, it sounds like the drummer is playing one song, the guitars are playing another and the singer is singing another one! god bless them for writing this song, GNR version is beyond awesome :headbang:

EDIT: sorry the recording above is not the original, its a re-recording

the original is below -- it is not that bad

Those guys sound like they're allergic to metronomes.

38 minutes ago, Sosso said:

That's called creative freedom. 

I would say Hard Rock as the primary element and punk, blues, industrial, etc. as additional elements

Not sure, with Izzy and Duff there's a very strong punk drive and energy, attitude to most of the songs. It's what stops them sounding more like Aerosmith or Slash solo. The whole of UYI was mixed by Bill Price, there's this punk guitar sound. 

With CD there's not much hard rock or punk really. It's more hard rock via 90s rock in a 70s classic rock style. I don't think of motorbikes and tattoos when I listen to CD. It's more of dark paychedelic rock movie soundtrack. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Since I Don't Have You. Down on the Farm. Aint it Fun. Attitude. Black Leather. I Don't Care About You/Look at Your Game. I dig all of those.

Everything else I don't really care for.

• Like 1

this album is a treasure trove of greasy, sleazy power chords. new rose, i dont care about you, attitude, down on the farm.... i could go on. call me crazy, but it has some of the catalogue's best power chord sequences, hands down.

just hearing Slash teasing the chords of IDCAY in concert, it's like a dog whistle that reaches far into the hardcore fanbase

best Axl vocals in the catalogue, and it has that balls to the wall attitude back that was beginning to fade by that point.

ok, its all covers, then what? i don't care about you, fuck you! ;)

incidently, i can see why they chose that song. that lyric has to be THE best line in rock & roll EVER, right? i couldnt tell you how many times i played that song loud in my car everytime i crossed paths with some kind of douchebag (boss, that includes you - fuck you!!)

in fact, just talking about this album has me hyped again. guess i'll give it a fresh spin!

• Like 2

Its a great album, I listen to some songs of it often.

Axl is AMAZING here and the sound quality is nice, not overproduced and bloated as the Illusions, just great. I think Matt has exagerated in some songs tho.

My favs are Human Being, Aint it Fun and Hair of the Dog.

On 6/29/2017 at 4:53 PM, Fitha_whiskey said:

Lol!!!!! My favorite defense of this album ever.

• Like 1

Since I Don't Have You, Black Leather, Down On The Farm, Ain't It Fun and Human Being are my top five from the album.

It's a fun album and when you put it in the context of 1993 - two years after UYI and the next album probably a few years away (heh) - it gives the fans something to enjoy in the meantime.

8 hours ago, action said:

this album is a treasure trove of greasy, sleazy power chords. new rose, i dont care about you, attitude, down on the farm.... i could go on. call me crazy, but it has some of the catalogue's best power chord sequences, hands down.

just hearing Slash teasing the chords of IDCAY in concert, it's like a dog whistle that reaches far into the hardcore fanbase

best Axl vocals in the catalogue, and it has that balls to the wall attitude back that was beginning to fade by that point.

ok, its all covers, then what? i don't care about you, fuck you! ;)

incidently, i can see why they chose that song. that lyric has to be THE best line in rock & roll EVER, right? i couldnt tell you how many times i played that song loud in my car everytime i crossed paths with some kind of douchebag (boss, that includes you - fuck you!!)

in fact, just talking about this album has me hyped again. guess i'll give it a fresh spin!

I'm glad you can enjoy it that much. Not my cup of tea sadly