Is this GNR doable? “I just shot him an e-mail ‘Let’s write some songs together'. Next thing you know, he’s here and in 3 hours we had written 2 songs"

7 hours ago, 2414225 said:

The most realistic scenario is a 2nd Slash album featuring Axl on 2 songs. 

I never even considered that but I think that actually sounds really plausible. 

Sidesteps all the baggage of legacy and fleshing out an entire album and lineup concerns etc.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, downliner said:

I have no doubt that Axl could write songs with the guys within a matter of hours if he wanted to

these are exactly my thoughts

i think all the other parts of the process (recording, mixing etc) can go just as smooth and fast if only axl decides that its time to cut the crap and get things going!

9 hours ago, Towelie said:

The truth is, Axl doesn't care for Slash's penchant for cock-rock and Slash doesn't care for Axl's nine minute Stephanie Seymour ballads.

That's why they needed another primary songwriter (Izzy Stradlin) on board, because Axl and Slash are pulling in such different directions. I would be very surprised if Axl/Slash/Duff managed to pull off a truly collaborative album of brand new music together at this stage.

would it be a good move for a manager to tell them something like this?

axl likes to write ballads? ok, maybe the rest of you guys dont like it that much but lets make two of them

slash likes to write cock rock? same, lets do two of them

izzy likes to write laid back stonesy stuff? ok, lets do two of them

then lets try and write 3 or 4 songs together

with everyone in the room

...there - you have an album!

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

get axl drunk and make him sing!

:lol:

That's probably how all GNR records were made. There was 1-3 month window when Axl was into it and it really was the only option. Like they really did have to make a debut album if they wanted to be a rock band. If they wanted to be a big band they had to do UYI. After that it wasn't necessary but it became like a point to prove. So suck down a few bottles and sing about the people you hate. 

Problem is now there's nothing to prove and we keep handing them money for things that aren't a new record. So we only have ourselves to blame. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

would it be a good move for a manager to tell them something like this?

axl likes to write ballads? ok, maybe the rest of you guys dont like it that much but lets make two of them

slash likes to write cock rock? same, lets do two of them

izzy likes to write laid back stonesy stuff? ok, lets do two of them

then lets try and write 3 or 4 songs together

with everyone in the room

...there - you have an album!

Basically remake UYI. The problem and what sets Guns apart is that that isn't all a record involves. They seem to capture what they want to say too. Getting that spirit right seems important. I think Axl is in the zone for his stuff, Slash can still write sleazy metal rockers but can Axl come up with the right lyrics. And Izzy, well he's going to turn up with two songs, both called Zero Fucks Given. 

Edited by wasted

They're not young and hungry. They have nothing to prove. Labels and management won't be encouraging them to release new music, because there is no money in it and they can keep the major players isolated and  happy on tour in a way that they might not be able to in a studio situation, which could put the entire thing in jeopardy.

Young bands release their best music when they are young and their egos still allow the band members to challenge each other creatively. That's over with this band and it's been over for a long time. There are three very distinct levels within the band now Axl on top, Slash, Duff (and Izzy if he was involved) in the middle and everyone else on the bottom.
Can you imagine Richard challenging Slash? Or Duff challenging Axl?  

Even if Izzy came back to write and record it would just make things more complicated.  I love this interview with Izzy talking about how he and Axl would work together:

There's zero percent chance of them working together like this anymore. Axl wouldn't take criticism from anybody at this point, and even Izzy, not without ego, would run away and work with his hired hands in a desert studio somewhere if he got agitated.

Slash, Duff and Izzy have creative outlets outside of GnR where they can be creative while being in charge. Richard and Frank are hired hands in a touring band.  Axl is Axl.  

Izzy wrote the best tunes. He is indispensable.

Even if they release a new album consisting of CDII, '95 vault material and a whole new bunch, will it be as good as UYI? I don't think so.

The songwriting potential between Axl, Slash and Duff isn't as great as people think: Civil War (A), Get In The Ring, Locomotive, Coma, So Fine, Don't Damn Me, Garden of Eden.

I'm not saying they're creatively dead together, but pretty close. So I might think if there is a new album, that Axl only needs an authentic backing band to play the riffs for his future songs.

Axl could write new songs in an instant with Izzy, just like Gene did with Ace. The current version of GnR is very much similar to current Kiss run by Paul & Gene.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wasted said:

Basically remake UYI. The problem and what sets Guns apart is that that isn't all a record involves. They seem to capture what they want to say too. Getting that spirit right seems important. I think Axl is in the zone for his stuff, Slash can still write sleazy metal rockers but can Axl come up with the right lyrics. And Izzy, well he's going to turn up with two songs, both called Zero Fucks Given. 

zero fucks given is a mighty fine song title!

from what most of you have posted, you guys dont sound to optimistic on us hearing new music within the next decade it seems!

to me, this seems like a completely different type of gnr band. it doesnt feel like the gnr of old, that took yearssss to record an album. 

i think if they are serious about recording, they will get it done in a reasonable amount of real world time, not gnr time.

i mean hell, who wouldve EVER thought that they would come onstage at the scheduled time, EVERY NIGHT!!!

9 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Izzy wrote the best tunes. He is indispensable.

Even if they release a new album consisting of CDII, '95 vault material and a whole new bunch, will it be as good as UYI? I don't think so.

The songwriting potential between Axl, Slash and Duff isn't as great as people think: Civil War (A), Get In The Ring, Locomotive, Coma, So Fine, Don't Damn Me, Garden of Eden.

I'm not saying they're creatively dead together, but pretty close. So I might think if there is a new album, that Axl only needs an authentic backing band to play the riffs for his future songs.

Axl could write new songs in an instant with Izzy, just like Gene did with Ace. The current version of GnR is very much similar to current Kiss run by Paul & Gene.

They've sort of lived through the most intetesting part of their lives according to rock. For the type of band they are. The mature, on time guys doesn't make for great rock n roll. CD was seen as too slow and boring. Maybe there's a return to form album. GNR always seemed real so if they aren't living that lifestyle I doubt they will write about it. I don't think they will make that jump into something more progressive at this point. So what do they write about. Slash is great at dirty riffs but they are too old to be writing about that. So it's more socio political lyrics. If anyone can tackle the more old guy introspective thing it's Axl though. But ins a way he's already done that with Estranged. A lot of Axl's stuff is pretty deep for a 20 something guy. 

The Some Girls, Lies, fun kind of KISS type album might work. It's really hard to find something they haven't done. CD took on new influences and brought something different to rock, the combo of 90s alt and 70s classic rock with 00s production. 

At least with CD II there was a road map, there was some  kind of direction. If they got Slash's modern take on rock in GNR that would be something. Just Slash unleashed, just a little bit out of hiis box. But then mine the old material if there's anything from AFD/UYI. But  they need that one classic 80s style hard rocker for the tour. But then the album they can do Axl's orchestra soundtracks. 

• Like 1

These threads:facepalm:

Can it happen? yeah... anyone can work that out without a pointless thread. Will it happen, the only people who can answer that are obviously not on a gnr forum. I think it's unlikely given the history, but I don't know. There's no reason why any band couldn't do the same, other than not wanting to do it. I can't see Slash touring forever without new music... whether that means GnR go on break and he does another SMKC record or if the next GNR record gets made, I have no idea AND nobody around here is any better idea.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, beautifulanddamned said:

They're not young and hungry. They have nothing to prove. Labels and management won't be encouraging them to release new music, because there is no money in it and they can keep the major players isolated and  happy on tour in a way that they might not be able to in a studio situation, which could put the entire thing in jeopardy.

Young bands release their best music when they are young and their egos still allow the band members to challenge each other creatively. That's over with this band and it's been over for a long time. There are three very distinct levels within the band now Axl on top, Slash, Duff (and Izzy if he was involved) in the middle and everyone else on the bottom.

Even if Izzy came back to write and record it would just make things more complicated.  I love this interview with Izzy talking about how he and Axl would work together:

There's zero percent chance of them working together like this anymore. Axl wouldn't take criticism from anybody at this point, and even Izzy, not without ego, would run away and work with his hired hands in a desert studio somewhere if he got agitated.

Slash, Duff and Izzy have creative outlets outside of GnR where they can be creative while being in charge. Richard and Frank are hired hands in a touring band.  Axl is Axl.  

This is pure speculation or an impression but Axl seems to collab with people. Like he worked with Pitman on Madagascar. 

It was strange how he outlined how he wants to work with Slash, from vocal melodies like they did on AFD and not just laying down guitar tracks for him to sing on like Coma. That does hint at more petsonal interaction between the members. But I guess Axl could voice mail his vocals to Slash. 

I think what would be huge is them booking studio time. Like them going into a studio as a band. It would be a neutral space to be creative in. Like those Let it Be recording sessions. 

Angus could get Axl to knockout vocal recording in a couple of weeks no problem. I also think he'd be more than willing to contribute lyrics in a timely fashion.

With how smoothly Guns is going I doubt there'd be any creative disputes so drastic that they would derail the band in any way whatsoever. Even if Axl was 100% in charge of the direction Slash and Duff would probably be fine with that at this point.

After this tour is over a new album is the next logical step. Even with the disappointing history taken into account I still think a new GN'R album with this line-up is inevitable within the next couple of years. It feels like it's gonna happen.

This is based on nothing other than me wanting it to be the case obviously, but with how much Guns N' Roses have changed over the past 18 months I see no reason to doubt it.

I think Axl is completely fine with cock rock nowadays. He sang for ACDC and looks just like a parody of any 80s rock band on stage.

Guess the days of complex, evolution of gnr sound, music that takes 20 years to be enjoyed and all the CD bullshit excuses are gone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlexC said:

Angus could get Axl to knockout vocal recording in a couple of weeks no problem. I also think he'd be more than willing to contribute lyrics in a timely fashion.

With how smoothly Guns is going I doubt there'd be any creative disputes so drastic that they would derail the band in any way whatsoever. Even if Axl was 100% in charge of the direction Slash and Duff would probably be fine with that at this point.

After this tour is over a new album is the next logical step. Even with the disappointing history taken into account I still think a new GN'R album with this line-up is inevitable within the next couple of years. It feels like it's gonna happen.

This is based on nothing other than me wanting it to be the case obviously, but with how much Guns N' Roses have changed over the past 18 months I see no reason to doubt it.

I agree it's the next logical step... but GnR and Logic, in the same sentence... :lol:

I also worry when people say "the next few years". Axl struggles now, he's in his mid fifties and whether he likes it or not, that range of his is gonna decline. Once the tour ends, it's time to get in and knock out a record in no less than a year. A new record in late 2018 is very doable and logical (it would also be 10 years since CD was released).

Fingers crossed, we all want it to happen... but it's hard to be optimistic about new music when it comes to GNR. I will say that, the next GNR that features Slash, Duff and Axl will have a much stronger backing from the label, done right they could easily have a new album as successful as Hardwired, and given that GnR have even more fare-weather fans (And are generally more accessible) it's easy to imagine them topping those sales figures.

On 7/5/2017 at 8:25 AM, beautifulanddamned said:

yes yes yes

i understand all that -- you are probably right

but i still think that it is possible to have the original guys in equal situation -- and no one else in the room, no lawyers, no hired players, no bullshit, nothing

just the GNR guys

its actually pretty easy to do that

axl can turn EVERYTHING around in one fucking second

call slash and duff after any show from this tour. "hey i wanna start over with you two guys and izzy and a drummer. i wanna make new music. i want you to help me get my songs to be the best they can be. I will help you guys to make your songs be the best they can be. i think we can also write some good music together, just us in a room, no one else, simple stuff, no bullshit. we are gonna be equals again"

do you think slash and duff would say no to that?

then call izzy and tell him the very same thing. do you think izzy would say no to that?

On 07/07/2017 at 2:44 AM, Tom2112 said:

I agree it's the next logical step... but GnR and Logic, in the same sentence... :lol:

I also worry when people say "the next few years". Axl struggles now, he's in his mid fifties and whether he likes it or not, that range of his is gonna decline. Once the tour ends, it's time to get in and knock out a record in no less than a year. A new record in late 2018 is very doable and logical (it would also be 10 years since CD was released).

Fingers crossed, we all want it to happen... but it's hard to be optimistic about new music when it comes to GNR. I will say that, the next GNR that features Slash, Duff and Axl will have a much stronger backing from the label, done right they could easily have a new album as successful as Hardwired, and given that GnR have even more fare-weather fans (And are generally more accessible) it's easy to imagine them topping those sales figures.

Age is not a factor at all when it comes to Axl Rose's ability. It's a matter of him being inspired enough to apply himself.

The impression I get is that it's not a problem of just writing a song together. They could probably figure out a new song (in a basic rough first draft sort of way) within hours. They've probably come up with a few since they started this whole thing in 2015.

I think the hang-ups come when it's time to record and produce a song into a finished product.

On 7/4/2017 at 1:16 AM, Billsfan said:

Half ass reunited GNR that is...

What a joke !!! AXL and SLASH are GNR NO HALF ASSED mOFO BROTHERS - IT has always been there band always will be -the dynamic duo - 2 fucking superstars with a superstar bass player in DUFF -fucking McKagan - IZZY doesnt wanna tour whats new ? I love IZZY it was his choice - Steven wanted the gig - I do wish he was doing the tour - I love Matt Sorum too - Wish he was the drummer but Frank will do because in the end if SLASH and AXL are playing music together I am 1 happy MOFO 

Age is not a factor at all when it comes to Axl Rose's ability. It's a matter of him being inspired enough to apply himself.

Age is a factor for EVERY singer. He can pull it out of the bag now, but he'll either go like this... Some would argue he's already quite close.

Or have to tune down a bunch, or rejig his vocals to accommodate his aging voice. 

Every singer, especially aggressive styled vocalist suffer some drop in range. Look at Sammy Hagar 10yrs ago and watch him now, he is still great but some of those top notes are now stretching him... Sammy has been consistent for 40 years though, Axl on the other hand? 

IF he decides to really work on it he can have a good voice, but it doesn't seem like his priority at the moment.