Immortality, why we can't have it yet kinda do

SoulMonster

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Morrissey said something similar about it, its very regimented isnt it?  'Stand there...do this...do that', yeah, i see your point.  Being a lanky fucker i found it enormously uncomfortable myself and your tall too if I'm not mistaken?  Fuckin horrible food, that awful din that keeps you from getting to sleep, shite food, yeah i see your point.  Still, handy when you wanna go abroad.

Rob you of your dignity also by searching you. The whole experience is horrendous.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rob you of your dignity also by searching you. The whole experience is horrendous.

You're such an old woman sometimes. "Rob you of your dignity"? Really? Get to the airport at a reasonable hour before your flight and 9 times out of 10 you're through security unmolested and nursing a pint in the bar within 20 minutes. Fuck me, you "Yumanitees" lot really are a bunch of drama queens. :lol:

Just now, Dazey said:

You're such an old woman sometimes. "Rob you of your dignity"? Really? Get to the airport at a reasonable hour before your flight and 9 times out of 10 you're through security unmolested and nursing a pint in the bar within 20 minutes. Fuck me, you "Yumanitees" lot really are a bunch of drama queens. :lol:

Absolute rubbish. I get searched every time. Also you have to now take your belt and shoes off and walk around the airport in your socks, in fear of your trousers falling down, like the servile idiot these airports have turned us all into. And you are not allowed to take drinks, a sip of water even, through customs.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Absolute rubbish. I get searched every time. Also you have to now take your belt and shoes off and walk around the airport in your socks, in fear of your trousers falling down, like the servile idiot these airports have turned us all into. And you are not allowed to take drinks, a sip of water even, through customs.

You take your belt and shoes off, stick them in a tray then walk though the scanner, pick them back up and continue on your way to the airside bar. It's hardly Guantanamo FFS. :lol:

Just now, Dazey said:

You take your belt and shoes off, stick them in a tray then walk though the scanner, pick them back up and continue on your way to the airside bar. It's hardly Guantanamo FFS. :lol:

Just because you like to lube up in advance, it doesn't mean the rest of us do.

"Science is a load of bollocks"... Jesus fuck. No wonder arguing with Dies is like talking to a brick wall sometimes.

Also, the worst thing about long haul flights is the cold (temperature wise, not the illness, although I did complete a long haul from Vancouver to Glasgow earlier today and seem to have developed the illness as a result as well).

8 minutes ago, Graeme said:

"Science is a load of bollocks"... Jesus fuck. No wonder arguing with Dies is like talking to a brick wall sometimes.

Imagine being so stubborn and afraid to lose an argument that rather than concede a point and admit being wrong, you'd choose to denigrate and embarass yourself by saying the most ridiculous things like that. It's fascinating.

I have never had a bad experience at an airport. I hate the waiting part before departure, but I've never had any problems and I can't tell you how often I've travelled with Ryanair in Europe. 

Even on my trips to the US and Canada, I was standing outside of the airport approximately 15 minutes after getting off the plane.

51 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Life is pretty damn long, it feels like we are immortal at times. 70-100 years certianly feels like an eternity. If you have a happy productive life in that time period would you really need or want to live forever?

Maybe? I am sure some would want to live longer while others are happy to have it end. The latter could also just be a consequence of being in so poor health that life quality has fallen and one can't really do anything uselful anymore. But if people remained in their physical and mental shape of their 30s, then I think many people would love the possibility to live much longer than the normal human lifespan. I know I would.

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

If we stayed youthful and didn't age then maybe 150 - 200 years or whatever would be alright but I know I wouldn't and shouldn't live forever. Death is easy, living is hard. Death is a part of life it is an unavoidable progression and honestly I'm not convinced it's a bad thing at all.

It depends on the person. If you want to die and end it all, then death is good. If you want to continue living on, then death is bad.

6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

That's an incredibly simplistic way of looking at it.

I want to continue living but I understand death isn't something to be afraid of. Just out of curiosity what do you think happens?

I think it is that simple.

When you die your nervous system rots away and hence consciousness ends. It's nothing to fear in itself, only for what you will miss when you no longer exist.

21 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

If you cease to exist, how would you miss anything?

Of course I wouldn't miss anything in the sense of feeling sad about it, when I wrote "[death]'s nothing to fear in itself, only for what you will miss when you no longer exist", I didn't mean we'd by lying underground being sad because we are missing out on stuff :D I meant "miss" as in "not having the opportunity" to continue to be alive and enjoy life. Which is why murder is a crime, not because those killed will be sad in their eternal oblivion, but because they have been robbed of life and hence missed the opportunity to live out their lives to their fullest.

So, whether you die from cancer due to the flaws of evolution, or from the hands of a human killer, the results are the same: You are bereft the possibility of continued life and enjoyment. A life shortened. It's bloody murder.

The only reason we find it more horrible to be killed than die a natural death, is because the former is something we can prevent and avenge while the latter is inevitable and unpunishable. But in principle they are the same: life shortened that could have been longer.

Edited by SoulMonster

when i look at the picture of my grand-grand-grand father, who lived sometime in the 18th century, and i see how much he looks like me, i can't help to think how he was me, in a way. 100 years from now, my grand-grand-grand child will look just like me too.

genes pass on, but the vehicle (the body) goes away. but when you think of it, the body is just the vehicle.

if you ask the question "the genes of your body, how old are they?" then the answer would be pretty fucking mindblowing.

yes, we are immortal as long as we reproduce (or if not immortal, then really long lived)

Edited by action

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Genes are certainly very interesting, that's for sure. I think I'd like to have my DNA tested at some point and find out about where my ancestors come from etc etc. Have you ever done that?

yes, i did, in a sense.

i'm currently tracking down my ancestors through birth certificates. some really fascinating stuff to find there. i discovered that my ancesters were immigrants from holland. i guess that explains why belgians don't understand my humour. i always knew something was off! :P

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Genes are certainly very interesting, that's for sure. I think I'd like to have my DNA tested at some point and find out about where my ancestors come from etc etc. Have you ever done that?

P.S. When I get Splatoon 2 and a Pro Controller we should set up a tournament for that too, same for ARMS as well or at least play them together in regular matches.

in splatoon 2 it's actually possible to play one vs one. a little boring, but it's possible.

it's also possible to play in teams of 4 vs 4, that's cool too.

splatoon is truly mindblowing if you're into that kind of weird shit. lol

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Hah! I can't do that unfortunately because the nazis blew up my family records(on my fathers side) in the bombings of London.

that sucks bro...