True Story Behind Since I Don't Have You

I liked this song very much, lovely hearing Axl sing a 50s ballad, its kinda my kinda music so hearing it through Axl was interesting, he did it justice.  More than did it justice.  The video was alright, i suppose, as good as any video is, most videos look pretty shite in 2017, i liked the devil bloke, which i believe was Gary Oldman, was it not? 

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I like the video if only for the fact that it seems to be rather cheap, especially compared to those dreadful videos they made two years earlier, and music videos don't need to have a movie budget.

i always liked the song, video not so much. Was my second favourite song after Ain't it fun off the album. 

I love their version and I think it sounds better than the original, when we play it on rock n roll encounters people, usually drunk, love it. I've seen a guy dropping tears while singing it. Also drunk as fuck.

Its fun.

24 minutes ago, default_ said:

I love their version and I think it sounds better than the original, when we play it on rock n roll encounters people, usually drunk, love it. I've seen a guy dropping tears while singing it. Also drunk as fuck.

Its fun.

it's funny we were in the alps a few years back staying in this hotel. They had karaoke in the restaurant. I flip to see what Guns N' Roses songs they have and sure enough they only had 2 songs...Sweet Child of Mine and Since I don't have you. I always thought that was weird out of all the GNR songs they pick since i don't have you. 

I'm with Gilby on this one.  I don't like it.  Or the video.  I don't much like Spaghetti Incident at all.  I don't know why they did it.  I know they've always done covers, always.  It's their thing.  And I don't mind covers as part of a live show.  They didn't have to release an album of covers.  It actually irritates me they did that.  The only GNR covers I think are any good are LALD and KOHD (dull as it is, it's an improvement on the original).  This probably puts me in the minority but that's what I feel.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I liked this song very much, lovely hearing Axl sing a 50s ballad, its kinda my kinda music so hearing it through Axl was interesting, he did it justice.  More than did it justice.  The video was alright, i suppose, as good as any video is, most videos look pretty shite in 2017, i liked the devil bloke, which i believe was Gary Oldman, was it not? 

Yeah it's Gary Oldman and he was out of it, Slash mentions it in his book that the next day Gary went in rehab 😵

2 hours ago, default_ said:

Its fun.

Who was the original?? 

2 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I'm with Gilby on this one.  I don't like it.  Or the video.  I don't much like Spaghetti Incident at all.  I don't know why they did it.  I know they've always done covers, always.  It's their thing.  And I don't mind covers as part of a live show.  They didn't have to release an album of covers.  It actually irritates me they did that.  The only GNR covers I think are any good are LALD and KOHD (dull as it is, it's an improvement on the original).  This probably puts me in the minority but that's what I feel.

Here's how the album came to be:

Many of the tracks were recorded with original Guns N' Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin during the Use Your Illusion I and II sessions and then were later re-recorded with Gilby Clarke.[9] Those tracks were previously intended to be included in a combined Use Your Illusion album, consisting of three (or possibly four) discs, instead of the two separate discs they ended up being.

In 1992, the band prepared to release the leftover cover tracks as an EP, with Gilby Clarke replacing Stradlin's guitar tracks. They later decided on making the album a full release and recorded several more tracks for it.

Nice cover, maybe my favorite off TSI. Different for Guns and also different for the bands, Skyliners and GnR are just two totally different bands. I think it's a great example of how to do a cover right, keep it in lines with the original but also keep it in lines to your own sound.

This is one of my favorite covers. Interesting story I played it for my grandma who loved it. She thought it was great.

Im a fan of the videos myself. I like that they tell a story in a way.

Everyone always talks about how weird this video is and estranged but there is a story there to be understood. 

This song really showcases Axl's vocal abilities to me. I think his voice is great on it.

Edited by BOSSY78
Added
  • Like 1