THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

8 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Massive fee for a massive bellend .. nah Wrights not so bad 

This dude was such a beast 

Didn't last long. Only had less than a handful good seasons. People were talking up as the next Ronaldo, before it fell apart.

He was still early 20's when it went downhill.

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

They had Buffon, Davids, Del Piro, Neved, Trezeguet, Thuram. Juventus team was almost as much of a video game team than that Madrid side of the time, except Juve could defend. Great team. I remember a point where they were playing best football in Europe of all the top teams, then within a year their was the match fixing scandal.

Hardest part of the 99 treble was taking out Juve in Turin. Especially after going down 2-0 early.

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I remember 2.5 mil for Wrighty being considered a massive fee.

My favourite player of all time. I loved him. That was my formative years when Ian Wright was at his pomp. 13 in 1993 for the double that's the age when you get hooked 😁 

For my birthday my mum got me tickets to Arsenal v Swindon who were in the premier league at the time but it got rearranged cos Arsenal were in the Cup Winners Cup so ended up going to see Arsenal v Wimbledon at Highbury with my older brother and his mate. Which was a fucking eye opener.

20 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

They had Buffon, Davids, Del Piro, Neved, Trezeguet, Thuram. Juventus team was almost as much of a video game team than that Madrid side of the time, except Juve could defend. Great team. I remember a point where they were playing best football in Europe of all the top teams, then within a year their was the match fixing scandal.

AC Milan were great at the time and Inter had a decent squad, but I still don't understand why Juve officals really felt they needed to cheat to win when you had a squad like that. Several of them were good enough to help Italy win the World Cup right after.

It was never as simple as match fixing. In fact, it didn’t take place and that was deemed so in the original trial.

The nuts and bolts is that Juventus were found guilty of speaking to the referee designator (so as to gain favour in which referee is selected for which match). That was worthy of an ‘article 1’ violation, which should lead to a fine, or points deduction at most. ‘Article 6’ violations, match fixing, was not part of the verdict.

Ok then, the issue is it was decided that there could be fixing if they are talking to referees. Nothing was ever found.

The next part is, the designator said speaking to clubs was encouraged as to open dialogue. He spoke with officials from many, if not all, clubs.

So Inter get awarded the 2006 title as Milan who finished second was also implicated. They claim it is justice. But a few years later phone calls from Inter officials doing the same thing Juve and others did were made public. Nothing came of it legally as the statute of limitations had passed. Inter gets away with a title, et al, Juventus are relegated and other clubs get deductions.

Not all phone calls between clubs and referee designator were used as evidence in the original trial. Something which should have taken months/years was rushed through in weeks ahead of the season. And running the trial was a former Inter board member.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

My favourite player of all time. I loved him. That was my formative years when Ian Wright was at his pomp. 13 in 1993 for the double that's the age when you get hooked 😁 

For my birthday my mum got me tickets to Arsenal v Swindon who were in the premier league at the time but it got rearranged cos Arsenal were in the Cup Winners Cup so ended up going to see Arsenal v Wimbledon at Highbury with my older brother and his mate. Which was a fucking eye opener.

Arsenal vs Wimbledon in 93, there's a fixture I wouldn't mind a time machine for.  You're 3 years older than me, haha, you old knacker :lol:

15 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I was 13 in 93 too. You born in 79 or 80?

13 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

1980. Easy to remember how old I was when people mention a certain year. 2004 = 24 easy... don't worry I do realise how much of a mong that just made me sound 😂

Not really. I was born in August 79 so I still use that same method for 8 months of the year. I’ve found myself relying on it a lot more in recent years too. :lol: 

26 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Fuck me you lot are some right old farts.

You boys racing zimmer frames later yeah?

At least we still have hair you big bald cunt! :P:lol: 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

1979, the year a certain greengrocer's daughter from Grantham came to power. 

The year Sidney Vish died too.  2nd Feb.  Then John Lennon died the next year.  McLeod was born our culture started to fall to bits, the little fuckin' Damien :lol:

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

What is the Coco Cola Cup haha?

I just know FA Cup, Champions League, Premiership and the two pointless ones, the Carling Cup and the Community Shield. 

The Carling Cup, its frequently changed names, I thought you’d recognise Coca Cola cuz thats what they called it back in our day.  

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I.e., coke, extinct electric shop, gambling, pint of ale, Pint of lager, something to do with bulls.

Littlewoods was a catalogue shop similar to Argos wasnt it? They've  gone bust now. Actually the quality of the sponsors mirrors the shabby third rate quality of it. If I had to pick a lager which reflected the quality of the competition I'd pick a lukewarm, flat pint of Carling.

23 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Littlewoods was a catalogue shop similar to Argos wasnt it? They've  gone bust now. Actually the quality of the sponsors mirrors the shabby third rate quality of it. If I had to pick a lager which reflected the quality of the competition I'd pick a lukewarm, flat pint of Carling.

Yeah it was Littlewoods the catalogue shop, they used to be closely associated with another shop too but the name escapes me at the moment.

Apparently Gillette removed their sponsorship of English cricket's one-day domestic competition because people were just associating the word Gillette with the cricket and not realizing it was a razor blade company. Cricket was actually popular on terrestrial in those days I should point out. (Cricket fan in Boots) ''hey, the cricket one-dayers are producing a brand of razor blades now''.

An example you might say of sponsorship and advertising being too successful for its own good.