Len Cnut

10 hours ago, Russel Nash said:

Here's my top 5:

1 - Uruguay

2 - Germany

3 - Argentina

4 - Brazil

5 - Spain

Yes, in that order. Uruguay is going to be the world cup winner. Mark my words!!

What’s the thinking there. I keep switching Suarez and Griezman in fantasy. SA teams always have a chance in defensive, slow build up and flair players. And always have some choppers in there. England are always too nice. Nobody in there to breaklegs. 

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bring back ''Wazza, Lamps and Stevie G''.

PS

Canucks, Yanks and Mexicans hosting some future world cup.

PPS

I might actually watch this. I do not like domestic football but usually get drawn in to the internationals. A lot of my finest sporting memories are world cup memories, Roger Milla's (used to love him) dance, Diana Ross's penalty, Diego coked off his tits screaming into the camera, etc etc.

There’s always some political angle to it. From Russia With Love. 

Russia v Saudia Arabia. This is the  rehearsal for WW 3. 

2 sixers of Budweiser to celebrate the Empire of the USA. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

England should bring back the golden generation for one last hurrah. 

I think they finally have a sort of more technical possession based team though. Instead of just playing 442 high tempo at high altitude. Sterling and Ali a little tic tac bitches. They’ve got wingbacks like Barca. They play that way at club level. The golden generation was 3-4 box to box passion players and Beckham crossing from the half way line to Owen and Rooney. 

But still they seem too football oriented.There’s no one to really win the physical battles in later rounds. Dier and Henderson aren’t worrying anyone. 

Edited by wasted

45 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

With Jesus as a centre-forward what can go wrong? Literal miracles. His post-match interview would be delivered in parables though!

Gabriel Fernando de Jesus

First name on the team sheet. 

Gary Lineker: 

“He comes from a religious family and reportedly chose to wear the number 33 in tribute to the age at which Jesus Christ is believed to have been crucified. He and Neymar got matching tattoos in August 2016 depicting a boy overlooking a favela.”

Edited by wasted

12 hours ago, wasted said:

I think they finally have a sort of more technical possession based team though. Instead of just playing 442 high tempo at high altitude. Sterling and Ali a little tic tac bitches. They’ve got wingbacks like Barca. They play that way at club level. The golden generation was 3-4 box to box passion players and Beckham crossing from the half way line to Owen and Rooney. 

But still they seem too football oriented.There’s no one to really win the physical battles in later rounds. Dier and Henderson aren’t worrying anyone. 

just curious about why do you all call that a golden generation?

23 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

just curious about why do you all call that a golden generation?

I associate it with the rise of the kids under Ferguson at Utd, Beckham, Gary and Phil, Nicky Butt, then Gerrard and Lampard, Owen, Rooney - there was a lot of hope pinned on these talented young players. It was a media thing really. And they never won anything. There hadn’t been such a group of young players coming through together maybe. Gary expands on it below, basically it was about that hope people had under Blair in the 90s. The FA were marketing England for the world. 

Gary wrote about it here, didn’t know he was such a CIA agent

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11064868/Golden-Generation-was-just-hype-Gary-Neville-on-the-end-of-England-era.html

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

No Italians and no Dutch? No Yanks either. Weird world cup not having those three in. 

Fifa spreading the love around the world.

Italy and Dutch probably better than Tunisia or Iran? 

USA will win 2026. 

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

I associate it with the rise of the kids under Ferguson at Utd, Beckham, Gary and Phil, Nicky Butt, then Gerrard and Lampard, Owen, Rooney - there was a lot of hope pinned on these talented young players. It was a media thing really. And they never won anything. There hadn’t been such a group of young players coming through together maybe. Gary expands on it below, basically it was about that hope people had under Blair in the 90s. The FA were marketing England for the world. 

Gary wrote about it here, didn’t know he was such a CIA agent

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11064868/Golden-Generation-was-just-hype-Gary-Neville-on-the-end-of-England-era.html

Thanks for the clarification, it's a hype thing overall.

Those are great players, but never worked on the national team. The 86-90 England was far better. 

To my eyes, the Premier league is the most competitive and most fun league there is, spain is far second. So it's always a surprise that England is not up there on the national competitions.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rooney Owen

Joe Cole Gerrard Lampard Becks

Ashley Cole Rio John Terry Gary Neville

Making that midfield work as part of a pub conversation is etched on my mind.

Basically they had 3 no 10s so Gerrard would play defensive mid with Carrick. And Rooney would pretend to be a striker. Then they had Beckham putting in crosses to midgets. Crouch should have always played. 

Oh and I left out Scholes because they played the best player of all time left wing so he retired early. 

Basically The FA are well not a word #metoo would use. 

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

Fifa spreading the love around the world.

Italy and Dutch probably better than Tunisia or Iran? 

USA will win 2026. 

The fact that those two are not on this one makes it the most accesible WC ever. There's no excuse for some squads.

Here in Argentina we are worrying about Island.. what the fuck. The media here have a super power, they turn shit into gold.

No ofense at Islandians(or whatever they are called) but if someone gets the cold they can't even complete the 23.

2 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

Thanks for the clarification, it's a hype thing overall.

Those are great players, but never worked on the national team. The 86-90 England was far better. 

To my eyes, the Premier league is the most competitive and most fun league there is, spain is far second. So it's always a surprise that England is not up there on the national competitions.

That’s because the premiership attracts and can afford players from around the world. So in many cases the English players aren’t the best players. And in some cases a Welsh player like Bale is one of the best. In the end the Premiership doesnt develop English players and because the talisman players like Lampard and Rooney are so important they end up injured and shagged by the WC. If you notice Ozil, Hazard, Lukaku all did nothing this season in the prem. Resting. Kane has been killing himself for Spurs all season. 

4 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

The fact that those two are not on this one makes it the most accesible WC ever. There's no excuse for some squads.

Here in Argentina we are worrying about Island.. what the fuck. The media here have a super power, they turn shit into gold.

No ofense at Islandians(or whatever they are called) but if someone gets the cold they can't even complete the 23.

It’s just Fifa marketing football around the world. Maybe it’s a good thing. I don’t think the big players really care about the world cup, champions league is where the money and glory is. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

That’s because the premiership attracts and can afford players from around the world. So in many cases the English players aren’t the best players. And in some cases a Welsh player like Bale is one of the best. In the end the Premiership doesnt develop English players and because the talisman players like Lampard and Rooney are so important they end up injured and shagged by the WC. If you notice Ozil, Hazard, Lukaku all did nothing this season in the prem. Resting. Kane has been killing himself for Spurs all season. 

Cos it's well balanced. There are at least 6 to 8 teams that can actually be champions, and some underdog like Leicester can get up there too. In contrast to Spain, Italy and Bundesliga. 2 or 3 teams only fighting.

I fail to see what the ppl see in Belgium. Great players but they don´t know how to play together.

16 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Like a true Scotsman, I'll support anyone who's playing England - who's with me?

The entire world. 

You would think Tunisia would be a given. But it’s like the WC final for them. But England playing attacking football has paid off so far. They have players like Sterling and Ali used to breaking down defences. 

Edited by wasted