THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

I noticed a lot of empty seats. I don't mean this game only. Yesterday Russia played and it wasn't 100% sold out, not even close.

Did the same happend in the Japan/SK WC?

Can we have another WC in England or Germany please?

31 minutes ago, Padme said:

I noticed a lot of empty seats. I don't mean this game only. Yesterday Russia played and it wasn't 100% sold out, not even close.

Did the same happend in the Japan/SK WC?

Can we have another WC in England or Germany please?

More of an indication of the teams playing. There won't be another European World Cup till at least 2030, assuming Argentina/Uruguay doesn't get it then. China's probably getting 34.

In fairness offical attendance for Russia vs footballing super powers Saudi Arabia was over 78k. It'll be interesting to see the Spain/Portugal attendance.

16 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

More of an indication of the teams playing. There won't be another European World Cup till at least 2030, assuming Argentina/Uruguay doesn't get it then. China's probably getting 34.

In fairness offical attendance for Russia vs footballing super powers Saudi Arabia was over 78k. It'll be interesting to see the Spain/Portugal attendance.

Forget about Argentina/Uruguay 2030, FIFA doesn't make 2 consecutive WC on the same continent.

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

England will never get it again because nobody likes us basically.

Jesus, today's football!!! Had to turn it off in the end. Three hours of players conducting agony rolls.

England techically holding the semi's and final of Euro 2020. UEFA are holding it all over Europe as a one off, except those last matches. Don't worry England aren't making wembley.

Side note, the football so far has been awful. I hope the Real Madrid civil war match coming up next between Portugal and Spain is a bit more fiesty. 

Also I don't recall Ramadan ever making Zidane play like the Saudi's at the World Cup. 

Edited by AtariLegend

I honestly cannot believe people who like football consider cricket to be the ''boring'' sport! As I said, the majority of that Iran match consisted of some very fine thespians enacting their death throes on the grass; every second another player would drop down, perform a few rolls and then proceed to perform facial gyrations of the utmost agony. It goes without saying that no football occurred during these proceedings. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

One lad had a scratch on his chest! A scratch! He acted as if he was dying from a gun shot wound.

Willy wooftas sport. I'd like to see these footballers face a Holding or a Lillee. 

The entire golden generation were prone to the odd tumble as well, Lampard, Rooney, Steven G, Owen and Gary L back in his day.

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

England will never get it again because nobody likes us basically.

Jesus, today's football!!! Had to turn it off in the end. Three hours of players conducting agony rolls.

The problem is that FIFA keeps picking up weird ass places to host the WC. And they keep expaning the amount of teams participating. Just keep 25 teams. So we mostly would have South American and European teams. Those are the leagues that matter, 99% of the football stars come from those countries

Like  South Africa 2010, WTF???? South Africa cares about Rugby. They should host Rugby WC not football. 2026, Mexico, U.S. and Canda. Three countries? WTF??? Mexico makes perfect sense. But not the U.S. and Canada. Qatar 2022 WTF??? Playing football in the middle of the desert?

1 minute ago, AtariLegend said:

The entire golden generation were prone to the odd tumble as well, Lampard, Rooney, Steven G, Owen and Gary L back in his day.

Placing ''odd tumble'' in the same sentence as that era of English footballer opens up so much comic potential.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Rivals suggests that there was ever any competition between the two :lol:

Probably is more with Argentina in fairness unlike against Germany where it is all one way traffic sans ''66'' and some weird match when Michael Ballack was playing for Germany and England thumped them 5-1 or some bollocks (needless to say a dvd came out the very next day and it become certifiable evidence that ''we wos gonna win the w. cup'', and that Sven was a ''genius''). 

With the Argies it is more even. There is 1966 when Ramsey called the Argies ''animals'' and 1986 (hand of god), 1998 (beckham's foul) and 2002. Honour's even. Have we played them since? We never get out of the groups now so...

I'm sure there was also some Sven era friendly where England thumped Argentina 3-1 or some score like that (or am I just imagining it?). 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Three goals in the 1st half. Spain obviously is struggling. And Portugal is taking advantage of it. I'm not clear about the penalty. There is contact, no doubt. But was it really a penalty? I think Ronaldo exaggerated

I think the world cup has come alive. 

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

This is a much, better game now. Yet, the half-time's still about fucking England.

Probably because it was the British Broadcasting Corporation you were watching and one of the British teams has a big match on Monday. If You were watching La 1 or Das Erste I'd agree with you about the oddity of the coverage.