MyGNR Bodybuilding Thread

AxlRoseCDII

Haven't seen one of these although my search for the site is broken so if it needs to be closed fine, but I haven't seen any posts for bodybuilding like I have other sports and activities. We can just build this up and make all topics part of it: this includes

* Dieting, Meal Plans

* Workout Schedules

* Discussion about bodybuilders and contests like Mr. Olympia 

For anyone who's interested in the sport/lifestyle!

I basically follow a body building type meal plan to maintain fitness in face of illness. Lots of protein and collagen.  Supplements.  Healthy eating.  Place carb inputs before I expend energy. Read various veins of diet philosophy blogs.  Count vitamin and mineral inputs.  Do a lot for my biome.  Instead of lifting I do physio, garden and go for walks.  

So, if I could, Id love to participate in body building conversation?  Mostly for the meal plan and diet philosophy part I guess.

Towards that end; my pasture raised beef CSA will be delivered today.  Pastured beef has more omegas and better balanced omega 3 and 6, is leaner and therefore is higher in protein per serving.  Its raised with organic practices. 

Edited by soon

• 2 weeks later...

There's an old "Workout Thread", but it's buried and no one uses it anymore. Perhaps it is time to start anew.

I lift 5-6 days out of the week. I take it quite seriously, but not serious to the point of really dieting, and especially no meal-prepping. If I was training to be a professional bodybuilder, compete, etc., it'd be different. But as far as I'm concerned, unless you actually very well need to lose weight, it's a... "waste of life" to meal-prep and strict diet yourself. I pay moderately close attention to my breakfast, but after that, I usually eat whatever. I won't sit down and eat an entire bag of chips, but I'll gladly eat a donut whenever I want.

I cycle on and off from taking supplements, whether it's pre-workout, post-workout, protein etc. I'll occasionally notice some differences in my training and progress when I'm on certain supplements for awhile, but nothing ever mind-blowing.

I started lifting 3 years ago, got serious about it probably close to 6-9 months in, and despite a few inconsistencies (life changes, work, motivation, etc.) here and there, I'm fairly happy with my progress in the last few years, both size-wise and strength.

Though it never fails, after I hit a worthwhile PR on just about anything, some dumb injury (always outside the gym) happens and messes me up for awhile. Last one was my shoulder getting pulled and torn in the Metallica moshpit in May. It's recovered I'd say 85% but it still hurts occasionally, but doesn't necessarily get in the way of my lifting.

As for modern bodybuilders and whatnot, I'll never knock them because they still but in an incredible amount of time, devotion, work, etc., but modern bodybuilders almost always never look as good as classic bodybuilders. Sounds almost cliche at this point, but it's true. I don't usually pay attention to the Mr. Olympia stuff or anything like that. I follow some mainstream bodybuilders on social media and YouTube/Instagram star bodybuilders (Bradley Martyn, Chris Jones), and I care more about what they do and say than I do the professionals, usually.

Bodybuilding, weightlifting, dieting, everything - there's so many different opinions on all of it, it's hard to really discuss it with people sometimes, unless you both are on the same wavelength. How one person trains for strength can be completely different (or even... wrong) compared to how someone else trains. Some people (that train and lift regularly) believe ridiculous things when it comes to supplements and how your body breaks them down (or doesn't), how much your body should only take in, etc. There's just so much diverse opinion on it all, I typically avoid conversation about any of it with anyone other than my close friends (who also lift), because there's almost no point in discussing it sometimes. I'll give people inside and advice at the gym if they ask for it, but I really wish I got paid to watch people lift incorrectly, or unnecessarily - I'd be a millionaire.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 12:46 PM, Black Sabbath said:

There's an old "Workout Thread", but it's buried and no one uses it anymore. Perhaps it is time to start anew.

I lift 5-6 days out of the week. I take it quite seriously, but not serious to the point of really dieting, and especially no meal-prepping. If I was training to be a professional bodybuilder, compete, etc., it'd be different. But as far as I'm concerned, unless you actually very well need to lose weight, it's a... "waste of life" to meal-prep and strict diet yourself. I pay moderately close attention to my breakfast, but after that, I usually eat whatever. I won't sit down and eat an entire bag of chips, but I'll gladly eat a donut whenever I want.

I cycle on and off from taking supplements, whether it's pre-workout, post-workout, protein etc. I'll occasionally notice some differences in my training and progress when I'm on certain supplements for awhile, but nothing ever mind-blowing.

I started lifting 3 years ago, got serious about it probably close to 6-9 months in, and despite a few inconsistencies (life changes, work, motivation, etc.) here and there, I'm fairly happy with my progress in the last few years, both size-wise and strength.

Though it never fails, after I hit a worthwhile PR on just about anything, some dumb injury (always outside the gym) happens and messes me up for awhile. Last one was my shoulder getting pulled and torn in the Metallica moshpit in May. It's recovered I'd say 85% but it still hurts occasionally, but doesn't necessarily get in the way of my lifting.

As for modern bodybuilders and whatnot, I'll never knock them because they still but in an incredible amount of time, devotion, work, etc., but modern bodybuilders almost always never look as good as classic bodybuilders. Sounds almost cliche at this point, but it's true. I don't usually pay attention to the Mr. Olympia stuff or anything like that. I follow some mainstream bodybuilders on social media and YouTube/Instagram star bodybuilders (Bradley Martyn, Chris Jones), and I care more about what they do and say than I do the professionals, usually.

Bodybuilding, weightlifting, dieting, everything - there's so many different opinions on all of it, it's hard to really discuss it with people sometimes, unless you both are on the same wavelength. How one person trains for strength can be completely different (or even... wrong) compared to how someone else trains. Some people (that train and lift regularly) believe ridiculous things when it comes to supplements and how your body breaks them down (or doesn't), how much your body should only take in, etc. There's just so much diverse opinion on it all, I typically avoid conversation about any of it with anyone other than my close friends (who also lift), because there's almost no point in discussing it sometimes. I'll give people inside and advice at the gym if they ask for it, but I really wish I got paid to watch people lift incorrectly, or unnecessarily - I'd be a millionaire.

I never meal prep, or if I do it's for 2-3 days at a time...food loses tastes sitting in a refridgerator after a while and dries up and gets gross.

Modern bodybuilders depress me. To many bubble guts and lack of aesthetics we saw back in the golden age.

(Sorry for the late response/bump, thread got buried and I didn't see it)

Currently have lost 20 pounds in my cutting phase right now...working towards another 20-25 pounds. Haven't skipped a gym day since late August! :headbang: