Which bootlegs are the most suitable for beginners to start?

Ritz 88 it was the first bootleg i watched! AMAZING! Did anyone know the feeling watching this for the first time? Mind-Blowing..

The first concert i saw was the official Tokyo release... It's a good concert

Please stick to the 80s and 90s...

6 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

Ritz 88 it was the first bootleg i watched! AMAZING! Did anyone know the feeling watching this for the first time? Mind-Blowing..

The first concert i saw was the official Tokyo release... It's a good concert

Please stick to the 80s and 90s...

I wanna throw in as much eras as possible to keep it open minded

Edited by Sosso

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Adding to my original list on the first page;

Felt Forum 1988
St Louis 1991
Columbus 2002

and the acoustic 2010 shows:

and don't forget this AFD-era gem:

(ending the set with UTLH like that is fuckin great btw)

I'm not sure that I can agree with you on picking St Louis. It actually is a very bad show in my opinion and that's not taking the riot into concideration. The band plays sloppy all night and Axl's voice is way to raspy (like a lot of the spring/early summer of 1991 shows were) as well. 

I spent last summer listening to every single 1991 recording and I find that the St Louis show is one of the worst shows of that year, but that's just my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

You wanna introduce someone to GNR ... and out of 7 shows you include 5 that have only one member of GNR ??? :facepalm:

Once and for all, there are no different 'eras' to GNR, there's just GNR '85-96ish' and then there's all the NON-GNR shit after that...

i was about to say that too when i saw this thread but i got lazy hahahaha

what you are gonna do, you have quite a lot of people that truly believe that axl solo era was GNR

and not only that, in this case he also truly believes that bootlegs from axl solo era can be a good introduction to GNR... instead of GNR bootlegs

hahahaha

thats kinda of amusing if you ask me

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Ritz 88

Chicago 1992

Freddie Mercury Tribute 1992

Rock am Ring 2006

That's kind of an Idiot's Guide to GNR that doesn't include any bad stuff

very idiotic if you ask me, hahahaha

i suppose the litlle-bit-smarter-guy's guide to GNR would include a little bit more of GNR hahahaha

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

i was about to say that too when i saw this thread but i got lazy hahahaha

what you are gonna do, you have quite a lot of people that truly believe that axl solo era was GNR

and not only that, in this case he also truly believes that bootlegs from axl solo era can be a good introduction to GNR... instead of GNR bootlegs

hahahaha

thats kinda of amusing if you ask me

You are not in the position to say what's real GN'R and what's not.

I think its cool to show stuff until the 2004 lineup cause it was still a legit band creating art, fueled and with something to prove, after that, even tough Axl had good momments it became a joke.

Chinese should've been released around that time.

Edited by default_

1 hour ago, default_ said:

I think its cool to show stuff until the 2004 lineup cause it was still a legit band creating art, fueled and with something to prove, after that, even tough Axl had good momments it became a joke.

Chinese should've been released around that time.

I think the band in 2006 were every bit as legit as they were in '01-'02, and just as hungry to prove themselves. I'd argue that the "core" of the band, Tommy, Richard, Robin had really bedded in by that point, clearly knew each other musically better than they had during the previous tour, the whole thing was more cohesive. The main difference was that you had Ron in the virtuoso guitar role instead of Bucket, but Ron was just as psyched to be creative as Buckethead, he just got less of an opportunity.

@Sosso, what about Inland Invasion? It's the most complete '06 pro-shot show we have, and a pretty great performance too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

@Sosso, what about Inland Invasion? It's the most complete '06 pro-shot show we have, and a pretty great performance too.

Yeah, that show was really awesome. I'm so glad that Brain was the drummer when the pro-shots were filmed. 

Edited by Sosso

10 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I'm not sure that I can agree with you on picking St Louis. It actually is a very bad show in my opinion and that's not taking the riot into concideration. The band plays sloppy all night and Axl's voice is way to raspy (like a lot of the spring/early summer of 1991 shows were) as well. 

I spent last summer listening to every single 1991 recording and I find that the St Louis show is one of the worst shows of that year, but that's just my opinion.

It's not a "great" show or anything but still worth a watch, some good parts, some fuck ups, and a riot. Kind of embodies that era of the band actually :lol:

10 hours ago, Graeme said:

Inland Invasion was sourced from a webcast, which was not good quality (240p and low quality audio if I'm remembering right) - I remember watching it live and it was cool. 

8 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Inland Invasion was sourced from a webcast, which was not good quality (240p and low quality audio if I'm remembering right) - I remember watching it live and it was cool. 

I always loved the performances of Better and IRS from this show, but the low quality has me leaning towards Rock Am Ring, too bad.

17 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not a "great" show or anything but still worth a watch, some good parts, some fuck ups, and a riot. Kind of embodies that era of the band actually :lol:

I think it is a great show, right from perfect crime, Axl was kinda mad and put it in the music, they made some mistakes, but damn what a show

On 28/09/2017 at 10:15 AM, estrangedtwat said:

Oh it's a girl?  Forget it.  Girls don't usually get fanatical about bands the way guys do.  As in, they'll think the singer is "hot" or whatever but she's not gonna sit through multiple hours and hours and hours of concerts trying to hear the differences.  Just give a greatest hits and that's probably all she'll need.

And yeah, you think I'm being sexist?  Watch the movie High Fidelity.  It's pretty accurate.

Not met many girls, have you? 

On 28/09/2017 at 10:15 AM, estrangedtwat said:

Oh it's a girl?  Forget it.  Girls don't usually get fanatical about bands the way guys do.  As in, they'll think the singer is "hot" or whatever but she's not gonna sit through multiple hours and hours and hours of concerts trying to hear the differences.  Just give a greatest hits and that's probably all she'll need.

And yeah, you think I'm being sexist?  Watch the movie High Fidelity.  It's pretty accurate.

Not met many girls, have you? 

• Like 1