The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

There aren't any miracles anymore because cameraphones. :lol: 

or the reverse: you demand cell phone footage.  This means that you would selfishly deprive those who got to live with Christ because you can only conceive of a God that can be proven with in the last 15 years, not prior?

Why does he tend to answer the prayers of Superbowl winners over starving children in Africa then? I've always found that one puzzling. 

Is this in reference to when I said: god hears our prayers.

Also, I know many in Africa who receive answers to prayers.  I wish they would send us missionaries - with faith so strong.  

My prayer is that you and I both withdraw consent from neo liberal policy that oppresses them.  If you dont resist the current economic order then youre not really in a position to say much.  God is love, truth and justice.  When we are those things work gets done.

8 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Ok, makes sense, but you and soulmonster are making claims (of belief :lol:) based on "lack of evidence" from science. Or am I misreading you. So my question still remains, using my above example, is it not possible that the view that you hold, which is based on science, be wrong? Especially since you just say there is no sacred truth.

I am getting myself confused now.. @janrichmond help me :lol:

Okay, put aside the biblical aspect and just tell me what you'd think if you were a guy in a part of the world where women were murdered for adultery and your wife just told you she was knocked up and you weren't the father. But it's all okay because god did it. Does that sound plausible or was Mary just the village bike? 

6 minutes ago, soon said:

or the reverse: you demand cell phone footage.  This means that you would selfishly deprive those who got to live with Christ because you can only conceive of a God that can be proven with in the last 15 years, not prior?

Not really. He's more than welcome to show himself to them in person too. Also, given that he exists outside of time he could probably borrow an iPhone from one of us for the purpose.

Edited by Dazey

4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Not really. He's more that welcome to show himself to them in person too. Also given that he exists outside of time he could probably borrowed an iPhone from one of us for the purpose.

what are you a millennial? so obsessed with smart phones.

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Okay, put aside the biblical aspect and just tell me what you'd think if you were a guy in a part of the world where women were murdered for adultery and your wife just told you she was knocked up and you weren't the father. But it's all okay because god did it. Does that sound plausible or was Mary just the village bike? 

If you put aside the biblical aspect there is no mary for you to put through this thought exercise

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Whiskey Rose i am atheist because in my mind i just can't get my head around all the shit that happens in this world. Why would a god create pedophiles, rapists and murderers? 

More to the point, why would he employ them? :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

okay, and for you, putting aside the biblical story aspect of it, (the village bike?! oy!).. only 5 % of the Universe and Matter is known..what the heck else is out there? We don't know! maybe the bible was just a way to put a higher consciousness/purpose/intelligence into a way that we humans would understand. ?

Edited by Whiskey Rose

I'm happy to take a VHS or Betamax at a push. :shrugs: 

But not a book.  So you demand of God to come into the flesh after Silent film?  Or does God need to wait for movies with audio?  No interest in books.... still sound like a buzzfeed loving millennial to me :lol:

4 minutes ago, soon said:

what are you a millennial? so obsessed with smart phones.

If you put aside the biblical aspect there is no mary for you to put through this thought exercise

If you put aside the biblical aspect you're talking about a normal woman in that time and place. My whole point being that if you take the story in a regular context it's ridiculous. 

Just now, Dazey said:

If you put aside the biblical aspect you're talking about a normal woman in that time and place. My whole point being that if you take the story in a regular context it's ridiculous. 

Yes, Christianity is quite fantastic and out of the ordinary.

6 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Whiskey Rose i am atheist because in my mind i just can't get my head around all the shit that happens in this world. Why would a god create pedophiles, rapists and murderers? Why would he create a world that lets people die of cancer? 

Maybe because we were more intelligent and curious than anticipated? Also more greedy, and cruel, and grasping. Also, just like anything else, we evolve and change..and science, or nature, or whatever you want to call it, sometimes makes mistakes and things grow and thrive that shouldn't.

I don't know, really I don't...I'm just trying to understand too. :shrugs:

• Like 1

Just now, Whiskey Rose said:

okay, and for you, putting aside the biblical story aspect of it, (the village bike?! oy!).. only 5 % of the Universe and Matter is known..what the heck else is out there? We don't know! maybe the bible was just a way to put it a higher consciousness/purpose/intelligence into a way that we humans would understand. ?

EXACTLY!!!! We don't know! We don't know and science will happily concede that we don't know. The issue arises when people try to explain what "we don't know" by invoking gods. The bible is nonsense and nothing more than an attempt to explain these things in a time when nobody knew anything. They really didn't know at that time. They didn't know where the sun went at night but they sure knew where you could and couldn't put your penis. :lol: Yeah, not silly at all.

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Yes, Christianity is quite fantastic and out of the ordinary.

Sorry, I think you misspelled "bollocks"

• Like 1

Just now, Dazey said:

EXACTLY!!!! We don't know! We don't know and science will happily concede that we don't know. The issue arises when people try to explain what "we don't know" by invoking gods. The bible is nonsense and nothing more than an attempt to explain these things in a time when nobody knew anything. They really didn't know at that time. They didn't know where the sun went at night but they sure knew where you could and couldn't put your penis. :lol: Yeah, not silly at all.

Thats not at all what the Bible is.

1 minute ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Maybe because we were more intelligent and curious than anticipated? Also more greedy, and cruel, and grasping. Also, just like anything else, we evolve and change..and science, or nature, or whatever you want to call it, sometimes makes mistakes and things grow and thrive that shouldn't.

I don't know, really I don't...I'm just trying to understand too. :shrugs:

If i were a god i'd give cancer to the pedos and rapists. Sorted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

But not a book.  So you demand of God to come into the flesh after Silent film?  Or does God need to wait for movies with audio?  No interest in books.... still sound like a buzzfeed loving millennial to me :lol:

Well why not just appear in person? Like to me in my living room right now? Not smartphones. No Videos. Just up close and personal. Not gonna happen though, for obvious reasons.

Just now, Dazey said:

Well why not just appear in person? Like to me in my living room right now? Not smartphones. No Videos. Just up close and personal. Not gonna happen though, for obvious reasons.

why is god not being what you think god would be any sort of proof that there is no God?

You dont even try to know God, and yet you are able to define how god would be?

I think you wanna make a god in your own image.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

why is god not being what you think god would be any sort of proof that there is no God?

You dont even try to know God, and yet you are able to define how god would be?

I think you wanna make a god in your own image.

God DOES NOT EXIST! PERIOD! I don't want a god in my image because a fat Englishman is nothing that needs to be worshipped. :lol: