The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

10 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I DID ask you, but you've been (as Soon just said) condescending. Which until THAT tone gets removed, we can't have an actual conversation.

Hahaha, you just don't have a good answer and you know it so you suddenly act all insulted even if I just pointed out the paradox of evil. 

37 minutes ago, soon said:

There is a 400 year gap in miracle and Prophecy between Malachi and Jesus.  There are other in the OT but Id have to refresh my memory.

Gaps between prophets, or something like that? Anyway, how do you explain the lack of life miracles since Jesu time, which to us atheists is just evidence for god's nonexistence. 

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Gaps between prophets, or something like that? Anyway, how do you explain the lack of life miracles since Jesu time, which to us atheists is just evidence for god's nonexistence. 

There have been hundreds, if not thousands, of miracles since Jesus' time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I actually even posted about MANY of them, many pages back in this very thread. Did ANY of our Atheists friends here even watch the videos I doubt it. 

I confirmed they have not been properly documented and hence only believers believe in them. By everybody else, including the scientific community, they are unproven. 

Hey, how about that problem of evil? 

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I confirmed they have not been properly documented and hence only believers believe in them. By everybody else, including the scientific community, they are unproven. 

Hey, how about that problem of evil? 

I COULD explain this to you, but you are not going to believe what I say, so why should I waste my time?

As for the miracles, MANY of them HAVE been scientifically studied... But again non believers just dismiss those.

54 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

prove there have been a gap in miracles first of all.  But yeah, the fact that there have been gaps demonstrates that there can be gaps.  How is that not clear?  

Edited by soon

25 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That wasn't bad for a film adaptation, but I prefer the Italian film from the 50s, mainly because Kirk Douglas was a very good choice for the role of Ulysses.

Bet he wasn’t as good as this. 

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I COULD explain this to you, but you are not going to believe what I say, so why should I waste my time?

As for the miracles, MANY of them HAVE been scientifically studied... But again non believers just dismiss those.

I don't think you could explain it to me at all. 

None of them gave been scientifically studied, or can you cite publications? 

3 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I actually even posted about MANY of them, many pages back in this very thread. Did ANY of our Atheists friends here even watch the videos I doubt it. 

I watched them and they don't prove anything unless you have an accompanying link to the peer reviewed research that supports the claims.

It was Augustine of Hippo who brought forward the notion of ''the original sin'' with all repercussions, i.e. predestination, confession and a peculiar form of puritanical morality which can best be epitomised as, ''no sex please, we're British''. A lot of Christian theologies, creeds and practises have no Biblical precedent whatsoever - especially Western Christendom/Catholicism. Yes, he is a controversial figure, Augustine. 

3 hours ago, soon said:

prove there have been a gap in miracles first of all.  But yeah, the fact that there have been gaps demonstrates that there can be gaps.  How is that not clear?  

Now you want me to prove there hasn't been any gaps in miracles? Well, if you believe in the miracles that Jesus performed, nothing similar has been property documented to have happened since then. And you, yourself claimed there had been a 400 year gap after Malechi. 

Personally I think it is all bullshit, of course. Jesus performed no other miracles than managing to be the inspiration for one of the most nonsensical world religions despite being a carpenter who made some regional success as a mystical cult leader and later got executed by the Romans. That is impressive, in sorts. 

But is there a theological explanation for why the christian god has stopped performing miracles that awe everybody, especially skeptics? 

Edited by SoulMonster

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Now you want me to prove there hasn't been any gaps in miracles? Well, if you believe in the miracles that Jesus performed, nothing similar has been property documented to have happened since then. And you, yourself claimed there had been a 400 year gap after Malechi. 

Personally I think it is all bullshit, of course. Jesus performed no other miracles than managing to be the inspiration for one of the most nonsensical world religions despite being a carpenter who made some regional success as a mystical cult leader and later got executed by the Romans. That is impressive, in sorts. 

But is there a theological explanation for why the christian god has stopped performing miracles that awe everybody, especially skeptics? 

Christian Scripture teaches against the idea of demanding signs and wonders from God.

Malachi was 400 prior to Christ.

And again you are wrong about Scripture; if your allowing for Jesus recorded miracles to have some bearing then there has been recordings since then.  In the remainder of the NT other miracles are recorded like those Christ worked.  They are done by way of human hands and also through manifestations of the Spirit.

15 minutes ago, soon said:

tell me why you think?

Because signs and wonders would be proof of the existence of god. The fact that there have never been any proven and properly documented miracles etc suggests strongly that they never happened. To stand in front of a congregation week after week asking god to show himself only for it never to happen doesn't really do the cause any favours.

Edited by Dazey

Ask yourself "what would happen to humanity if God appeared?" Would people belive him? If he proved himself to be God, yes. But then what? People WOULD obey, but out of fear, not out of love. He doesn't want that, that's why he gave us FREE WILL. We have the RIGHT to follow or not follow. Those that do are following out of love, not blind devotion. 

Honestly if he DID appear, then that prove the whole thing to be true, which I can only assume would LEAD many (if not most) to actual follow Satan instead. Why? Because they could STILL do all the things they were doing before. I don't even think humanity would change all that much, and God knows this. God appearing would probably be fairly similar to the end scene of Ghostbusters. Insert scientists and military in place of the Ghostbusters, and they would go up and attack God in order to maintain our current society. Humanity wouldn't want to change, just because God has appeared. Which again, those that DID change wouldn't be doing so out of love... It would have negative consequences I feel. 

Besides God WILL come again, and when he does he already told us what THAT means. So again, humanity (I feel) would FIGHT against that, not embrace it.

Go a head and flame me now...

22 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Ask yourself "what would happen to humanity if God appeared?" Would people belive him? If he proved himself to be God, yes. But then what? People WOULD obey, but out of fear, not out of love. He doesn't want that, that's why he gave us FREE WILL. We have the RIGHT to follow or not follow. Those that do are following out of love, not blind devotion. 

Honestly if he DID appear, then that prove the whole thing to be true, which I can only assume would LEAD many (if not most) to actual follow Satan instead. Why? Because they could STILL do all the things they were doing before. I don't even think humanity would change all that much, and God knows this. God appearing would probably be fairly similar to the end scene of Ghostbusters. Insert scientists and military in place of the Ghostbusters, and they would go up and attack God in order to maintain our current society. Humanity wouldn't want to change, just because God has appeared. Which again, those that DID change wouldn't be doing so out of love... It would have negative consequences I feel. 

Besides God WILL come again, and when he does he already told us what THAT means. So again, humanity (I feel) would FIGHT against that, not embrace it.

Go a head and flame me now...

Excuses, excuses. Tell him to show himself or I'm not buying it. Simple as that. Also, could you please not take the name of  the Ghostbusters in vain please?

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Because signs and wonders would be proof of the existence of god. The fact that there have never been any proven and properly documented miracles etc suggests strongly that they never happened. To stand in front of a congregation week after week asking god to show himself only for it never to happen doesn't really do the cause any favours.

We dont ask God for signs and wonders.

And what you're saying is that you personally would need signs and wonders, but thats not to say that others belief is centred around that.  God reveals Godself to me daily.

Edited by soon

1 minute ago, soon said:

We dont ask God for signs and wonders.

And what you're saying is that you personally would need signs and wonders, but thats not to say that others belief is centred around that.  God reveals Godself to me daily.

What I'm saying is that the elders of the church know that they don't have any decent answers so they encourage people not to ask questions. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

What I'm saying is that the elders of the church know that they don't have any decent answers so they encourage people not to ask questions. 

Jesus said it actually, among others.  

Also, I wish youd come across better elders.  Theres lots of answers.  And questions are encouraged