The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You're missing the point. The point is there are many religions with many Gods. You, Mikey etc don't believe in 99.99% of them, what if you're wrong? That's the point. You're one step away from atheism.

No, I got that.  Just doing a bit. :)  He really does not understand the religious make up of India or even that Hinduism as its organized as a monoculture today is the result of colonization.  The English rulership simply couldnt fathom the myriad regional beliefs and over time they were organized into one religion.  And theres many Christians there too.  Of course, as you Im sure know; its the birth place of Buddhism.   Sikhism, the list goes on an on.

The argument just doesnt do much for me honestly.  

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

what if you're wrong? That's the point

This is what strikes me as so funny. Both sides, the Theists and the Atheists, have the utmost FAITH and BELIEF that they are right, without any evidentiary "scientific" proof. Neither side has any proof, yet they constantly knock heads, hello! :lol: (but let me say again, I admire and respect those who have a faith in God and follow a religious practice.)

I guess that is why I would be considered Agnostic..I accept that I don't know all the answers of the Universe, and am open to the possibility that there is something out there. Actually I hope there is something out there. Actually I do believe there is something out there. I just don't know what it is.  shit, what am I then? :lol:

@janrichmond help me. :lol:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

This is what strikes me as so funny. Both sides, the Theists and the Atheists, have the utmost FAITH and BELIEF that they are right, without any evidentiary "scientific" proof. Neither side has any proof, yet they constantly knock heads, hello! :lol: (but let me say again, I admire and respect those who have a faith in God and follow a religious practice.)

Not really. The whole point of science is that faith is irrelevant when you have actual evidence. 

11 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

I guess that is why I would be considered Agnostic..I accept that I don't know all the answers of the Universe, and am open to the possibility that there is something out there. Actually I hope there is something out there. Actually I do believe there is something out there. I just don't know what it is.  shit, what am I then? :lol:

@janrichmond help me. :lol:

You is crazy girl :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, soon said:

you have evidence that God does not exist?  Why have you not published it in a peer reviewed quarterly?

There's no such thing as evidence of absence. The responsibility to provide evidence is always on the person making the claim of existence.  All I'm doing is saying I'm not going to believe in what you're saying until you show me some proof. 

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

If that's the case, I hope you make the time and just do it as soon as you can or you may never. In the short term 10 days is such a massive sacrifice especially for someone like you who has responsibilities like children but seriously if you ever manage to do it I'll be so fucking stoked for you and interested to hear how you find it. If I ever have kids I'll get them to learn Vipassana tbh.

I hope I don't come across like a preacher lol. It's just honestly amazing. You don't have to do Vipassana of course since there are many other techniques but what I like so much about Vipassana and the reason why I almost feel it's unnecessary to try others(at least in my opinion) is that there is zero fluff. No bullshit. If you actually manage to do this deceptively simple/pure technique you immediately start seeing results.

I find it deeply depressing how negative things in the world like religion, cults, new-age hippy mumbojumbo etc can influence how many of us perceive things. Maybe you specifically don't feel like this but most people probably mentally checkout immediately.

I listen to Sam Harris' podcast and have tried basic meditation techniques he's recommended such as simply focusing on my breathing. Found it very relaxing and given the opportunity I'd love to explore further. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

There's no such thing as evidence of absence. The responsibility to provide evidence is always on the person making the claim of existence.  All I'm doing is saying I'm not going to believe in what you're saying until you show me some proof. 

It is true that science cant disprove God.  Also true that everyday someone, somewhere on Earth says the fallacy: I dont believe in God, I believe in Science.

Just now, soon said:

It is true that science cant disprove God.  Also true that everyday someone, somewhere on Earth says the fallacy: I dont believe in God, I believe in Science.

As long as that person believes in science because they have been convinced by documented evidence  then that's fine. It's not faith if you can prove it. :) 

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Homeopathy. At least in my experience I think it's merely placebo. Also, bullshit self-help books like that fucking thing Oprah was peddling, talking about how positive thinking magically solves everything. *rolls my eyes*

I also think transcendental meditation is highly suspect because they charge everyone $2000USD to participate.

Homeopathy? But even the scientific medical community uses "like cures like", just look at anti-venom, the antidote for poisonous snake bites!

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

As I said, just in my experience. I don't know enough about it to really critique the whole thing. The person my mum dragged me to when I was a teenager I am certain is a fraud and I am certain at least part of the homeopathy community/practice are frauds.

fair enough.

Perhaps ones religion is information or ones perceived understanding of the truth?   That is at the heart of it.  What that truth is is the unknown.  That could be scary or epiphiniacal?  Some folks say you gotta believe in something.  You godda stand for somethin'.  And maybe those other folks feel like thier forced to trust in something to fit in or so not to be shut out.

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised Iron Mikey has not argued this point but if you are a Catholic then there has been a multitude of miracles, apparitions, stigmata, intercessions and visions since Jesus/the Apostolic Age which bring us right up to the modern day. From my understand, for each to be attested as bona fide, they've to go through rigorous investigations and debates. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm actually surprised Iron Mikey has not argued this point but if you are a Catholic then there has been a multitude of miracles, apparitions, stigmata, intercessions and visions since Jesus/the Apostolic Age which bring us right up to the modern day. From my understand, for each to be attested as bona fide, they've to go through rigorous investigations and debates. 

And how many times have we heard people say "it's a miracle I survived" when in a traumatic accident or situation..how do we know that these things indeed aren't miracles? Perhaps instances like these, which can easily be attributed to chance, or coincidence, are true miracles, and are the balance to the bad things that happen that are much more easily attributable to a careless God. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

And how many times have we heard people say "it's a miracle I survived" when in a traumatic accident or situation..how do we know that these things indeed aren't miracles? Perhaps instances like these, which can easily be attributed to chance, or coincidence, are true miracles, and are the balance to the bad things that happen that are much more easily attributable to a careless God. 

I am not arguing for their veracity seeing as I am not Catholic nor even Christian. I'm simply saying that a Catholic would reply, ''there have been a countless list of preternatural intercessions - up to the present day'', and that ''these intercessions have been investigated and made canonical by the church''.