Gardening

Gracii Guns

2 hours ago, cineater said:

Covid freak out is all but over here.  Our numbers are still going up but people aren't ending up in the hospital so they wear their masks and go about their business as usual.  We even have the adjacent county looking at having their high school sports teams play over here because their county won't allow it.

Kevin objects to killing the Hawthorn tree.  And he doesn't want me mixing up the gas for the trimer because he puts some extra stuff in there to make it last two years.  I'll just use my trimmer and let the Extension decide if they want the tee taken out.

Have to wait till it warms up a bit for my power washing bath. :lol:

Please be safe even when no one else is. Can you get an N 95 there yet?

I no longer need to be power washed! lol

11 minutes ago, cineater said:

Oh my did I make a mess with the power washer.  There are paint chips everywhere and I still have to scrape and sand.  I think in the end I'm going to have to remove my mulch and replace it just to get the paint chips up.

Ooops! Haha, could happen to anyone. Those paint chips are gonna be a hassle, maybe even into next year. That sucks! Do you, or more likely Caleb, have a shop-vac?

Id replace that mulch too.

Ive been assembling some kit for my pack back. Added a first aid kit, some food and water, masks, sanitizer, whistle, etc. Then I killed yet another spider - I think they are hatching lately. This little one was almost transparent.

I was thinking about the shop vac idea. :lol:  I have a couple of places where the wood is completely rotten.  Not sure what I'm going to do about that.  I really like this wood structure.  Nice plant shelf and privacy screen for my patio.  It's half rotten but I try to keep it as I can replace it.  This is going to take a while to get ready to paint.

N95 is for people saving lives.  I'm homemade mask people. :lol:

Off for another round of trimming at the garden.  Had to come home and let the battery charge up.

4 hours ago, cineater said:

I was thinking about the shop vac idea. :lol:  I have a couple of places where the wood is completely rotten.  Not sure what I'm going to do about that.  I really like this wood structure.  Nice plant shelf and privacy screen for my patio.  It's half rotten but I try to keep it as I can replace it.  This is going to take a while to get ready to paint.

N95 is for people saving lives.  I'm homemade mask people. :lol:

Off for another round of trimming at the garden.  Had to come home and let the battery charge up.

I tired responding to you earlier but there was a glitch that wouldnt let me write here.

Anyways, I love your wooden structure. I hope you can keep using it!

Hopefully wont be long before you can charge up stuff like that on the solar banks at the garden. Its gonna be so good!

How is Simone and your brother?

17 minutes ago, soon said:

I tired responding to you earlier but there was a glitch that wouldnt let me write here.

Anyways, I love your wooden structure. I hope you can keep using it!

Hopefully wont be long before you can charge up stuff like that on the solar banks at the garden. Its gonna be so good!

How is Simone and your brother?

Simone is doing good.  My brother has all kinds of people coming to the house for therapy.  He did go out to dinner so he can get around, slowly.

Chris is going to repair some of the rotting boards.  He wasn't as "guy friendly".

I think I'm going to give up my foundation gardens at the garden and take the miniature garden.  It's in the shape of a butterfly.  I really want to put some colors in there that just pop.  It's a lot smaller garden, needs to be watered all the time.  I've got the foundation plantings down to all perennials.  It's mostly just weeding and could use some thinning out.  Maybe somebody new has the desire to change it up.  I'll probably break it up into 4 smaller areas so it's easier to manage.

14 hours ago, cineater said:

Simone is doing good.  My brother has all kinds of people coming to the house for therapy.  He did go out to dinner so he can get around, slowly.

Chris is going to repair some of the rotting boards.  He wasn't as "guy friendly".

I think I'm going to give up my foundation gardens at the garden and take the miniature garden.  It's in the shape of a butterfly.  I really want to put some colors in there that just pop.  It's a lot smaller garden, needs to be watered all the time.  I've got the foundation plantings down to all perennials.  It's mostly just weeding and could use some thinning out.  Maybe somebody new has the desire to change it up.  I'll probably break it up into 4 smaller areas so it's easier to manage.

Good news about Simone and your bro. I hope they both keep improving.

Thts great you can get it repaired, it really is a beautiful piece that kinda brings the patio together. I dont follow about "guy friendly?"

I can picture the butterfly shaped garden popping more and that would be really cool! Kids would dig it too.

I guess Ill have to think about putting my garden to bed. Unlike how I literally just think about starting my indoor garden, lol.

Did you manage to get the paint chips cleaned up?

I am so not done getting the old paint off of there.  "Guy friendly" just my way of saying he went too far making a pass at me the last time he was here.

I'm excited about doing that butterfly garden but no so excited about losing all that land with the foundation plants.  The foundations are planted in perennials so they are kind of boring with just needing weeding.  I could change them up but that's more work then I want to do. 

I put my foot down with everybody this morning. :lol:  Kevin started in again on wanting to disapprove something the leads already approved and dragging Alex into it.  I reminded everybody of our bylaws and our agreement with the Extension and University.  Yeah, this doesn't involve either one of you and we're not asking for your opinion.

I'm off to pick apples at Paul's.  Marsha is trying to talk him out of making apple cider.  It was fun once.  I don't look forward to doing it again.  But it's Paul and he can't do it without our help and he loves that stuff.  I'll do it if he wants to.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

I am so not done getting the old paint off of there.  "Guy friendly" just my way of saying he went too far making a pass at me the last time he was here.

I'm excited about doing that butterfly garden but no so excited about losing all that land with the foundation plants.  The foundations are planted in perennials so they are kind of boring with just needing weeding.  I could change them up but that's more work then I want to do. 

I put my foot down with everybody this morning. :lol:  Kevin started in again on wanting to disapprove something the leads already approved and dragging Alex into it.  I reminded everybody of our bylaws and our agreement with the Extension and University.  Yeah, this doesn't involve either one of you and we're not asking for your opinion.

I'm off to pick apples at Paul's.  Marsha is trying to talk him out of making apple cider.  It was fun once.  I don't look forward to doing it again.  But it's Paul and he can't do it without our help and he loves that stuff.  I'll do it if he wants to.

Oh right, Guy Friendly, should've got that. Im glad to hear it.

Kevin had it coming! You didnt even ask his opinion and he basically gave instruction! :lol: Its good to remind people of the bylaw and process. Youre herding kittens!

Thats kind of you to help Paul out with his apples. I know you said youd rather skip it all together.

Im wired on the coffee!!!! Might have to dive into some Second Set tapes! Any word on the next Shakedown Stream?

3 hours ago, soon said:

Oh right, Guy Friendly, should've got that. Im glad to hear it.

Kevin had it coming! You didnt even ask his opinion and he basically gave instruction! :lol: Its good to remind people of the bylaw and process. Youre herding kittens!

Thats kind of you to help Paul out with his apples. I know you said youd rather skip it all together.

Im wired on the coffee!!!! Might have to dive into some Second Set tapes! Any word on the next Shakedown Stream?

Haven't seen anything on Shakedown Stream.

I must have struck as nerve as Joe replied all backing me up and pushing for Justin and Alex to give us the new guidelines they are suppose to come up with.  Pointed out, do they really want to approve every little thing we do?  And that they needed to run it by the Extension Council.  We're pulling out the rule book and done with taking shit. :lol:

We picked 3 trees.  And he does want to make cider.  The apples have to sit for a week and then we meet to cut them up.  Can't remember how that all goes but there will be another day after that.

50 minutes ago, cineater said:

Haven't seen anything on Shakedown Stream.

I must have struck as nerve as Joe replied all backing me up and pushing for Justin and Alex to give us the new guidelines they are suppose to come up with.  Pointed out, do they really want to approve every little thing we do?  And that they needed to run it by the Extension Council.  We're pulling out the rule book and done with taking shit. :lol:

We picked 3 trees.  And he does want to make cider.  The apples have to sit for a week and then we meet to cut them up.  Can't remember how that all goes but there will be another day after that.

Sounds like your getting the team to shape up! Very god point about the Extension Centres hand holding.

Very cool of you to harvest and make the cider.

The remaining beans in my garden still arent ready. Time is ticking away.

That confused borage finally found the sun and is taking off in growth. Better late than never :lol:

5 hours ago, soon said:

Sounds like your getting the team to shape up! Very god point about the Extension Centres hand holding.

Very cool of you to harvest and make the cider.

The remaining beans in my garden still arent ready. Time is ticking away.

That confused borage finally found the sun and is taking off in growth. Better late than never :lol:

Marsha's borage was slow this year too.

This paint scraping is addicting.  Unfortunately, there is a lot to do.

Ron just called.  He had to take out most of his hostas and wants to know if we want them.  We've got plenty!  But I'll take them and set them out on the freebie table.

My sister got a yellow jacket sting.  Whole underside of her arm swelled up.  Steroids for her.

Edited by cineater

15 hours ago, cineater said:

Marsha's borage was slow this year too.

This paint scraping is addicting.  Unfortunately, there is a lot to do.

Ron just called.  He had to take out most of his hostas and wants to know if we want them.  We've got plenty!  But I'll take them and set them out on the freebie table.

My sister got a yellow jacket sting.  Whole underside of her arm swelled up.  Steroids for her.

The good news is that Beaker let me sleep in until 9! The bad news is that hes been such a dependable 7:30 alarm clock that I have an appointment at 9:30... which was five minutes ago!! :lol: Ill just say "Sorry... pandemic." And that usually makes anything ok. :lol:

I can imagine paint scraping being a nice time. Ive been reading about how to do wax surfaces on wooden pieces. Something Id like to try.

Im hoping to have a hosta or two on my balcony next year. As long as I can reclaim it for the spiders.

Yikes, that sting sounds nasty! Yours wasnt that bad, was it?

I had nothing like that sting.

Marsha is coming over and we are taking out my invasive honeysuckle bushes and replacing them with hydrangeas.  Would like native bushes but I have two hydrangeas. :lol:

All excited about my new bed.  I did get one taker on part of the foundation beds.  Poor Leslie, she was already to put up a sign and they put a pause on it.  It just totally takes the wind out of her sail.  

4 hours ago, cineater said:

I had nothing like that sting.

Marsha is coming over and we are taking out my invasive honeysuckle bushes and replacing them with hydrangeas.  Would like native bushes but I have two hydrangeas. :lol:

All excited about my new bed.  I did get one taker on part of the foundation beds.  Poor Leslie, she was already to put up a sign and they put a pause on it.  It just totally takes the wind out of her sail.  

Howd the honeysuckle removal project go? Did they fight back?

Please send pics of your new bed when you get the chance??!

F'n beaurocratic nonsense!!

Baking bread. Reorganizing fridge. Ive got a sandwich making caddy, a hot sauce lazy susan, put milk into a jar so that I can lay it flat on the small top shelf. Its all getting stream lined :headbang:

Streamlined is good.

Honeysuckle came right out.  The plants I have are only 5 inches so it's going to be a while before they grow up.  I'm going to put cages around them so Brian doesn't step on them if he puts up the fence.

I had another little trirate.  Alex told Leslie he wanted to come out and supervise while she put her sign in so he could make sure it was done right.  He's not getting that kind of authority over what we do!  And Marsha wants to have the plant sale in the county parks.  Do not want to haul 6000 plants miles away and get set up by 9.  Is she crazy?!

I'll send you a before picture of my new garden.  It's currently planted in tall annuals.  My plan will be for plants under 10 inches or thereabouts.  I really want to have some of these but they don't get their color until night time temps are below 55.

OrnamentalKaleGlamourRed.120.jpg

2 hours ago, cineater said:

Streamlined is good.

Honeysuckle came right out.  The plants I have are only 5 inches so it's going to be a while before they grow up.  I'm going to put cages around them so Brian doesn't step on them if he puts up the fence.

I had another little trirate.  Alex told Leslie he wanted to come out and supervise while she put her sign in so he could make sure it was done right.  He's not getting that kind of authority over what we do!  And Marsha wants to have the plant sale in the county parks.  Do not want to haul 6000 plants miles away and get set up by 9.  Is she crazy?!

I'll send you a before picture of my new garden.  It's currently planted in tall annuals.  My plan will be for plants under 10 inches or thereabouts.  I really want to have some of these but they don't get their color until night time temps are below 55.

OrnamentalKaleGlamourRed.120.jpg

What is this amazing plant?? Look at that!!

I wanna smack Alex in the balls.

Looking forward to that pic!

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Forgot to say happy fall.

Happy fall!

Summer went fast for me. Which seems unlikely given the circumstances. But it just zipped right by.

11 hours ago, cineater said:

Yeah it did just zip on by.

That is an ornamental kale.  Just like this is:

23523_1024x1024.jpg?v=1550795268

There's all kinds of kale that is pretty.  Have never grown any of these but I want to.  I think my climate maybe too warm for them though.

Incredible! How could I, of all people, not know about a type of kale? :lol: And y'know, I thought to mention that the first pic 'looked like kale' but I certainly didnt think it actually was.

Well, I can grow these flower kales. That way I can stay true to my intent to produce as much food as possible. And it would prevent you from calling me Flower Boy :lol: They really are pretty.

You can eat that last one but they are mostly used for flower arranging.  The cool looking ones aren't as flavorful and are bitter.  There are some cabbages like that.

I'm excited about my new bed but having trouble letting go of my old beds. :lol:  Those are my plants.  I've been with them a long time..

Been at the garden all morning.  Cloud cover!  Worked mostly on digging up the Garden Phlox and potting up for next year's plant sale.  Back to scraping paint now, oh joy.

59 minutes ago, cineater said:

You can eat that last one but they are mostly used for flower arranging.  The cool looking ones aren't as flavorful and are bitter.  There are some cabbages like that.

I'm excited about my new bed but having trouble letting go of my old beds. :lol:  Those are my plants.  I've been with them a long time..

Been at the garden all morning.  Cloud cover!  Worked mostly on digging up the Garden Phlox and potting up for next year's plant sale.  Back to scraping paint now, oh joy.

Well, I'll just grow regular kale then. Im finally out of kale seeds, thank goodness! :lol:

Oh, I can imagine itd be hard to give up the old beds. Sorry. I just hope they will be well cared for.

I did a walk passed my garden. Glad you had cloud cover and work to do!!

I thought you were enjoying paint scraping? The thrill is gone?

Ive been trying to level up my solar power game, today. Im leaning towards leaving alone what I have already going. And getting some new, more involved and therefore more productive and usable systems. But even the simple rigs are more and more useful by the day, since so many new products can be charged and powered by USB!

Just came in from more scraping. :lol:  Chris came down and repaired some of my rotting boards.  Hopefully the next couple of days I can spend more time on it.

Marsha was out there dancing on her new boardwalk she is installing.  It looks good.  Missed the dance so I can't tell you how that looked.  :lol:  Just heard her joy from across the garden.

Paul has decided to cancel cider making because of covid.  Or rather his wife and son talked him into it.

The Barrel Owl has changed trees to the one across the street.  Chris said he saw two of them.  The feral cats have all disappeared along with the baby opossum.  I'm hoping they have just moved out of range.  The owl's hoot is a little bit scary. 

Can't tell you how excited Simone gets over opening a new bag of cat food.  It's like the cat lottery has been won. :lol:  Her face is in the bag and she's just a happy camper.

Edited by cineater

Well there goes another fucking brilliant idea shot down.  I thought it was brilliant at  least. :lol:  Can't help but think of the library classes and how they didn't support me and then it was all they could talk about.  They took it over, made me feel like I wasn't wanted and now it's flopped.  They put up zoom classes and of course didn't have a whole program in mind thus didn't get advertised on the main page and attendance is low.  Guess I'll go work on scraping paint.

• Sad 1

And the scraping continues! lol Im glad the rotten parts are all fixed up!

HAHA, I love the image of Marsha dancing and hollering on her new boardwalk! :lol::headbang: Tell her Im happy for her!

Pauls family sound wise... :) 

Oh no - poor critters! At least the owl knows not to mess with Lily and Simone. Maybe the opposum kids separate form the parents at a young age and go claim their own territory? I hope...

Oh Simone! I can picture it as Beaker goes wild for the scissors and when I cut fabric with them especially. Its wild how happy it makes him! :lol:

Is it almost time for Simones follow up with the vet?

Im on a tare filling my amazon wish list with every kitchen organizing kit known to man. Now I just need to win the lottery or sell a kidney! :lol:

Having my chia crackers with lime yogurt. So happy you turned me onto lime in yogurt!

2 minutes ago, cineater said:

Well there goes another fucking brilliant idea shot down.  I thought it was brilliant at  least. :lol:  Can't help but think of the library classes and how they didn't support me and then it was all they could talk about.  They took it over, made me feel like I wasn't wanted and now it's flopped.  They put up zoom classes and of course didn't have a whole program in mind thus didn't get advertised on the main page and attendance is low.  Guess I'll go work on scraping paint.

Those bozos piss me off, Cin. Really sorry to hear this.

And yes, sometimes its just best to tend to ones own garden. Enjoy. :)

I'm looking at other gardens to see what I want to do in the Butterfly garden.  I'll send you a picture of what it looks like today and what I'm going for from another garden.  But I'm also looking at my beds.  They could use some work but they do stand out.  They really are not much trouble.  I may just stop talking about they need a new lead. :lol:

I'm sick of scraping.  Just going to knock off the lose shit, run the block sander over it and paint it.  I'm going for the weathered look. :lol:  Give it a name and it works.

I know people's first reaction to a new idea is no.  It's out there.  I'll just let it settle, maybe it with present itself again.

I did plant my new hydrangea bushes and put cages around them so they don't get stomped on if Brian does the fence.  Five years from now they may be something.

Simone did go to the vet this morning.  Vet reports she looks good but they gave her another shot to make sure it goes away.  And Paul has changed his mind and we are doing cider.  I had just booked that day with my mother.