Gardening

Gracii Guns

2 hours ago, cineater said:

I don't feel bad, just sleepy.  I keep checking the carbon monoxide meter to make sure that's not it.  It's at zero.  Decided I should eat better.  I'm making cheesy potatoes!

Signed up for a class on propagating natives.  Sorry, it's not open to the public.

Cheesy potatoes for the win! :drool:

Such an important subject. Hope it a good class!

55 minutes ago, soon said:

Cheesy potatoes for the win! :drool:

Such an important subject. Hope it a good class!

I brought in my last two plants I have outdoors for the night.  After tonight the next week and a half are warm.  Good thing, we want to do some stuff at the garden next Saturday when Alex is not around to see us.  We're moving the left side of a double bed to the right side.  It will look the same just moved over.

10 hours ago, cineater said:

I brought in my last two plants I have outdoors for the night.  After tonight the next week and a half are warm.  Good thing, we want to do some stuff at the garden next Saturday when Alex is not around to see us.  We're moving the left side of a double bed to the right side.  It will look the same just moved over.

Snows gone and the fall leaves are beautiful. Chilly though. Windstorm kept me up all night - with branches banging on the roof. When the cats away the mice will play - y'all are awesome! Why do you want to move it?

Okay, Im not sure if I can explain this pre-coffee. But here it goes...

This is a story about how disconnected we all seem to be from the source of our food.

I was going to brew my coffee and remembered to go to my grow room to where the holy basil is hang drying, so I could add some to my coffee. But my fuzzy brain saw the grains on the shelf that I store in the grow room as soon as I walked in. In branded bags. So my mind started saying "I forget why I came in - am I making buckwheat pancakes?

At one point I actually moved the basil out of my way to search the grains to remember which one I wanted.

So basically, food I grew myself (the basil) didnt seem as apparent or real as the food I bought that has logos on the bags.

... And this took place in my grow room - where I grow my own foods. Like the grow lights are on, even!

Maybe I should tie some colourful balloons and a sign reading "50% Off!" on my basil, so that I will remember its real food. :facepalm::lol:

• Haha 1

You had more thoughts then I do before coffee. :lol:

Doesn't look like the frost was all that bad.  I noticed all the grass seed I put down and then didn't water, grew during that week of rain.  And it looks like those 72 cuttings are hanging in there.  Looks like there are enough leaves out there to do some collecting.  I don't know, I'll probably just putter around today at the gardens and at home.

Moving that one bed just makes it more symmetrical.  There was suppose to be a second bed to go with it but they misjudged the space and built something we are now tearing out.  Hard to explain, I'll send you a picture.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cineater said:

You had more thoughts then I do before coffee. :lol:

Doesn't look like the frost was all that bad.  I noticed all the grass seed I put down and then didn't water, grew during that week of rain.  And it looks like those 72 cuttings are hanging in there.  Looks like there are enough leaves out there to do some collecting.  I don't know, I'll probably just putter around today at the gardens and at home.

Moving that one bed just makes it more symmetrical.  There was suppose to be a second bed to go with it but they misjudged the space and built something we are now tearing out.  Hard to explain, I'll send you a picture.

:lol:

Im so happy that your grass is growing and your cuttings are taking root!! Since I suck and cant grow anything I will be ordering some packs of fresh herbs from grocery store so I can try cuttings. Also because none of my seed suppliers have any sage left! :wow: Are you running into shortages as well? I guess you collect your own seeds?

Sounds like a perfect day to putter away. Im baking bread. Also sending out polite but firm messages to various crafts people - 'get your ass in gear and send my order or else Ill just ditch you for Amazon like everyone else already has!' Like, it really sucks to budget and save only to then have that money sit in limbo with no purchases ever arriving!! Im literally paying money for the opportunity to spend time messaging crafters. Give me my shit! :anger:

Looking forward to pic when you get the chance!

2 hours ago, soon said:

:lol:

Im so happy that your grass is growing and your cuttings are taking root!! Since I suck and cant grow anything I will be ordering some packs of fresh herbs from grocery store so I can try cuttings. Also because none of my seed suppliers have any sage left! :wow: Are you running into shortages as well? I guess you collect your own seeds?

Sounds like a perfect day to putter away. Im baking bread. Also sending out polite but firm messages to various crafts people - 'get your ass in gear and send my order or else Ill just ditch you for Amazon like everyone else already has!' Like, it really sucks to budget and save only to then have that money sit in limbo with no purchases ever arriving!! Im literally paying money for the opportunity to spend time messaging crafters. Give me my shit! :anger:

Looking forward to pic when you get the chance!

I don't know if Marsha is having a problem getting seed.  I know we have some from last year that didn't get planted.  We also run with the plant obsessed people so at any given time somebody has extras of just about everything.

The lantana went down last night.  Jan was up there measuring the beds I gave her.  Good sign she's taking care of them.  Not sure why she needs that but okay.  Beautiful day in the garden.  The creek project was being worked.

I don't know if Marsha is having a problem getting seed.  I know we have some from last year that didn't get planted.  We also run with the plant obsessed people so at any given time somebody has extras of just about everything.

The lantana went down last night.  Jan was up there measuring the beds I gave her.  Good sign she's taking care of them.  Not sure why she needs that but okay.  Beautiful day in the garden.  The creek project was being worked.

The seed shortage here is down to 2 things. A bunch of newly minted "survivalists" bought seeds at the start of the pandemic. They seem to have thought that seeds last forever so they bought a bunch of packs of each seed. And 2, the companies sometimes had to cease operations.

Im glad Jan is taking good care. Maybe shes doing square foot gardening approach? Thats great abut the construction :headbang:

I saw a 20 storey tall auger today. And I was like "That's how Cin gardens!" :headbang::lol:

Also, this reminded me of some of our earlier conversations. I saw a man on opioids today. He was perfectly still, leaned against a wall head first. Using nothing else to support himself. It looked perfectly as though he'd tried to run through the wall to travel to a new dimension and his body was just left behind in its last position before jumping over into the new dimension.

Like he was, by chance, posed as if he'd run head first, with one leg lifted back off the ground, like running, the arms, everything. It was incredible. Looked like a statue. He was just nestled in that opioid blanket of warmth, enjoying his head against the brick wall. Kinda existing in slow motion. Just wow.

I was worried for his forehead and neck so I clapped a few times. He came back. He realized Id waked him from his wall/face excellence and growled at me like "What have you done you bastard?!" :lol:

Poor soul. Its getting cold.

3 hours ago, soon said:

The seed shortage here is down to 2 things. A bunch of newly minted "survivalists" bought seeds at the start of the pandemic. They seem to have thought that seeds last forever so they bought a bunch of packs of each seed. And 2, the companies sometimes had to cease operations.

Im glad Jan is taking good care. Maybe shes doing square foot gardening approach? Thats great abut the construction :headbang:

I saw a 20 storey tall auger today. And I was like "That's how Cin gardens!" :headbang::lol:

Also, this reminded me of some of our earlier conversations. I saw a man on opioids today. He was perfectly still, leaned against a wall head first. Using nothing else to support himself. It looked perfectly as though he'd tried to run through the wall to travel to a new dimension and his body was just left behind in its last position before jumping over into the new dimension.

Like he was, by chance, posed as if he'd run head first, with one leg lifted back off the ground, like running, the arms, everything. It was incredible. Looked like a statue. He was just nestled in that opioid blanket of warmth, enjoying his head against the brick wall. Kinda existing in slow motion. Just wow.

I was worried for his forehead and neck so I clapped a few times. He came back. He realized Id waked him from his wall/face excellence and growled at me like "What have you done you bastard?!" :lol:

Poor soul. Its getting cold.

Oh my.  Do they have a shelter to go to at night?

That was fun.  Took Caleb up to Home Depot to look at miter saws.  We ordered him one.  I look over and he has this tight little grin on his face. :lol:  Doing everything he could to hide that excitement.  Karen and I are splitting that for his Christmas gift.

My yard is full of leaves.  Was using the leaf blower to round them up today.  I'll start mowing them up tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, cineater said:

Oh my.  Do they have a shelter to go to at night?

That was fun.  Took Caleb up to Home Depot to look at miter saws.  We ordered him one.  I look over and he has this tight little grin on his face. :lol:  Doing everything he could to hide that excitement.  Karen and I are splitting that for his Christmas gift.

My yard is full of leaves.  Was using the leaf blower to round them up today.  I'll start mowing them up tomorrow.

I hope that guy has shelter. There’s too many too tell, Cin. :( 

Love that story about you and Caleb! I can just imagine that grin :lol: 

Fuck me, I wanna go to Home Depot so bad!!! 

In 2019 I used to go to hardware stores. (Had to say it to make it feel real! Lol)

Youve got all them tools! Mulch those leaves :headbang:

1 hour ago, soon said:

I hope that guy has shelter. There’s too many too tell, Cin. :( 

Love that story about you and Caleb! I can just imagine that grin :lol: 

Fuck me, I wanna go to Home Depot so bad!!! 

In 2019 I used to go to hardware stores. (Had to say it to make it feel real! Lol)

Youve got all them tools! Mulch those leaves :headbang:

They have the homeless shelters in St Louis but you can only go in at night.  The one by me got closed down.  There's only one left for families.  The single person is out of luck.

That was fun to watch him grab hold and move it forward to show me how it worked.  I think he was still in I can't believe it when we went out in the parking lot.  It's fun to have a guy in the family to buy tools for again.  Karen's big gift is a pair of nursing shoes.  Not as much fun.  She's getting hard to buy for.

10 hours ago, cineater said:

They have the homeless shelters in St Louis but you can only go in at night.  The one by me got closed down.  There's only one left for families.  The single person is out of luck.

That was fun to watch him grab hold and move it forward to show me how it worked.  I think he was still in I can't believe it when we went out in the parking lot.  It's fun to have a guy in the family to buy tools for again.  Karen's big gift is a pair of nursing shoes.  Not as much fun.  She's getting hard to buy for.

We have some day programs for people. Problem is that they arent designed for the opioid crisis. Youd get kicked out and even banned for being high. But on really cold days the city opens up community centres and libraries as 'warming centres.' And city hall is touted as being a self and inclusive space too. But the truth is that at this time of year you see teams of cops, social workers and legal observers approach people to offer them "help" and when they refuse the situation is elevated to arrest. Then 'ideally' they are diverted for treatment or else jailed for the winter. Its painful to watch. The spike in rehab and detox enrollment is significant enough that people struggling with addiction who are housed and functional are counseled to plan their rehab check-ins for other times of the year. Not saying it doesnt save lives, but I wish we could do better than that. Such as providing basic, individual housing to everyone. Housing First models are hugely successful and cost saving. But for some reason not politically popular.

Sounds like you and Caleb are having a lot of fun together lately! Nice. Im happy for him! Id be buzzing too.

Are nursing shoes, running shoes? I dont think Ive ever peeped a nurses shoes come to think of it.

Speaking of gift giving - can I still just lazily buy Frozen stuff for neices? Or is that finally passed? Some of them are getting the books we've been reading together, too.

1 hour ago, soon said:

We have some day programs for people. Problem is that they arent designed for the opioid crisis. Youd get kicked out and even banned for being high. But on really cold days the city opens up community centres and libraries as 'warming centres.' And city hall is touted as being a self and inclusive space too. But the truth is that at this time of year you see teams of cops, social workers and legal observers approach people to offer them "help" and when they refuse the situation is elevated to arrest. Then 'ideally' they are diverted for treatment or else jailed for the winter. Its painful to watch. The spike in rehab and detox enrollment is significant enough that people struggling with addiction who are housed and functional are counseled to plan their rehab check-ins for other times of the year. Not saying it doesnt save lives, but I wish we could do better than that. Such as providing basic, individual housing to everyone. Housing First models are hugely successful and cost saving. But for some reason not politically popular.

Sounds like you and Caleb are having a lot of fun together lately! Nice. Im happy for him! Id be buzzing too.

Are nursing shoes, running shoes? I dont think Ive ever peeped a nurses shoes come to think of it.

Speaking of gift giving - can I still just lazily buy Frozen stuff for neices? Or is that finally passed? Some of them are getting the books we've been reading together, too.

No Frozen is over and those little girls have grown up.  I'm not up on what kids want.  I'll ask the mom what they need.

Oh joy, the house behind me is getting a new roof.  I'm going to vote and then come home and work in the yard.  I've got a big house plant that needs repotting.  We're in the 70's today!

46 minutes ago, cineater said:

No Frozen is over and those little girls have grown up.  I'm not up on what kids want.  I'll ask the mom what they need.

Oh joy, the house behind me is getting a new roof.  I'm going to vote and then come home and work in the yard.  I've got a big house plant that needs repotting.  We're in the 70's today!

I need to update my kid culture knowledge! lol

Ugh, what type of roofing? Will there be tar fumes?

I think my timer is broken. :( I do have nettle and dill at least. But man alive, nothing much is going my way. When I went to order kale seeds (clinging to kale like a safety blanket! :lol:) There was even a computer glitch that kept emptying my cart! :facepalm:. And today my herbs for cutting arrive. And Im just like "why?"

Go throw the bum out!

2 hours ago, soon said:

I need to update my kid culture knowledge! lol

Ugh, what type of roofing? Will there be tar fumes?

I think my timer is broken. :( I do have nettle and dill at least. But man alive, nothing much is going my way. When I went to order kale seeds (clinging to kale like a safety blanket! :lol:) There was even a computer glitch that kept emptying my cart! :facepalm:. And today my herbs for cutting arrive. And Im just like "why?"

Go throw the bum out!

No fumes.  I don't understand how the houses behind me got hail damage and I didn't but whatever.

Voting wasn't bad.  Took 45 minutes.  People in line were pretty quiet.  Everybody in masks and most social distancing.  They had disposable pens.  I kept mine.  Got home in time to get my amazon packages.  Working on Christmas.

I only got 2 trash bags out of my leaves.  There's still way more up there.  I don't want to mow over my beds yet.  I like the perennials to be fast asleep when I do that.  It's been so warm I'm afraid they would try to grown again especially with leaf mulch on top of them.

Marsha called.  She has a ton of liriope for us to plant tomorrow.  Read the council minutes.  Alex you are such a liar.  Said he was working with Justin and us on the new rules.  He's not working with us.  They don't think we should be collecting money for our classes without their help.  We see it as their cut not their help. :lol:

No fumes.  I don't understand how the houses behind me got hail damage and I didn't but whatever.

Voting wasn't bad.  Took 45 minutes.  People in line were pretty quiet.  Everybody in masks and most social distancing.  They had disposable pens.  I kept mine.  Got home in time to get my amazon packages.  Working on Christmas.

I only got 2 trash bags out of my leaves.  There's still way more up there.  I don't want to mow over my beds yet.  I like the perennials to be fast asleep when I do that.  It's been so warm I'm afraid they would try to grown again especially with leaf mulch on top of them.

Marsha called.  She has a ton of liriope for us to plant tomorrow.  Read the council minutes.  Alex you are such a liar.  Said he was working with Justin and us on the new rules.  He's not working with us.  They don't think we should be collecting money for our classes without their help.  We see it as their cut not their help. :lol:

Well, no fumes is good at least.

Im happy that voting wasnt too bad. it often takes me that long, even with out all the mitagating factors.

Youll be planting liriope as I do my herb cuttings. As soon as the herbs arrived I was rejuvenated and got to work adjusting my shelves and sterilizing my plastic, conventional, bottom watering trays. I wanted sage - thats the whole reason to do cuttings. So naturally, there was no sage :lol: But Im doing oregano, chives, rosemary, thyme, mint. Mint can go on my shady balcony next summer.

I think you should have to go through me to charge for your classes, too. Ill just slice off like $10 a pop? Sound good?

"I'll take, what is go fuck yourself, Alex" :lol:

1 hour ago, soon said:

Well, no fumes is good at least.

Im happy that voting wasnt too bad. it often takes me that long, even with out all the mitagating factors.

Youll be planting liriope as I do my herb cuttings. As soon as the herbs arrived I was rejuvenated and got to work adjusting my shelves and sterilizing my plastic, conventional, bottom watering trays. I wanted sage - thats the whole reason to do cuttings. So naturally, there was no sage :lol: But Im doing oregano, chives, rosemary, thyme, mint. Mint can go on my shady balcony next summer.

I think you should have to go through me to charge for your classes, too. Ill just slice off like $10 a pop? Sound good?

"I'll take, what is go fuck yourself, Alex" :lol:

Mary asked for any extra seeds I had for packaging to give away.  I didn't collect much seed this year.  I gave her all I had.  I'm kind of tired of growing the same stuff all the time.

I hope your cuttings take.  You using rooting hormone?  

50 minutes ago, cineater said:

Mary asked for any extra seeds I had for packaging to give away.  I didn't collect much seed this year.  I gave her all I had.  I'm kind of tired of growing the same stuff all the time.

I hope your cuttings take.  You using rooting hormone?  

Ill have to get up to speed on seed saving.... says me to my master gardener :) ??

I wish I had root hormones. This idea came up more 'on the fly.' Anything else I can do?

Honey maybe? :lol:

You better google how to grow those from cuttings.  Chives come from bulbs.  I don't think you are going to have much luck from a leaf cutting.  Oregano and mint I would root in water.  Thyme and rosemary are woody.  Ever so gently, with my finger nail, I would nic the skin in some places.  I would bury a good part of the stem on the rosemary, moist but not soaking wet and never dry.  And if you're a praying man, get started. :lol:

If they don't totally dry up and die on you, after a few weeks you give them a little tug.  If they tug back, they have roots.  Just a little tug.

Any woody cutting needs that rooting hormone.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, cineater said:

You better google how to grow those from cuttings.  Chives come from bulbs.  I don't think you are going to have much luck from a leaf cutting.  Oregano and mint I would root in water.  Thyme and rosemary are woody.  Ever so gently, with my finger nail, I would nic the skin in some places.  I would bury a good part of the stem on the rosemary, moist but not soaking wet and never dry.  And if you're a praying man, get started. :lol:

If they don't totally dry up and die on you, after a few weeks you give them a little tug.  If they tug back, they have roots.  Just a little tug.

Any woody cutting needs that rooting hormone.

Well fuck!! :lol: Id already realized about chives at least.

Thanks for the great dierections!! Will do.

Youtube has lied to me again!!! :lol:

4 hours ago, soon said:

Well fuck!! :lol: Id already realized about chives at least.

Thanks for the great dierections!! Will do.

Youtube has lied to me again!!! :lol:

We'll have to get you in a propagation class.

The creek project is moving right along.  Looks like they made us a back road.  Not sure if they are rocking that or if they will put the dirt back.  Marsha brought two big bags of liriope.  We just dug a trench and stomped them in.  Kevin caught us clearing out the soil in the one bed we are taking out.  I let Mrahs tell him what was up. :lol:  He seemed okay with it. 

16 minutes ago, cineater said:

We'll have to get you in a propagation class.

The creek project is moving right along.  Looks like they made us a back road.  Not sure if they are rocking that or if they will put the dirt back.  Marsha brought two big bags of liriope.  We just dug a trench and stomped them in.  Kevin caught us clearing out the soil in the one bed we are taking out.  I let Mrahs tell him what was up. :lol:  He seemed okay with it. 

A class would be great! I dice some chives and made a sauce of chive, mayo and sriracha. Had that on turkey sandwich on homemade bread, also with cilantro. So its not all bad! lol. I'd like to one day make a sandwich with 100% home grown and homemade components.

Im so happy the creek project is progressing! Sounds like some fun gardening.

Snitches get stitches, Kevin! :lol:

58 minutes ago, soon said:

A class would be great! I dice some chives and made a sauce of chive, mayo and sriracha. Had that on turkey sandwich on homemade bread, also with cilantro. So its not all bad! lol. I'd like to one day make a sandwich with 100% home grown and homemade components.

Im so happy the creek project is progressing! Sounds like some fun gardening.

Snitches get stitches, Kevin! :lol:

Yesterday the house behind me was getting a new roof.  Today they are getting new siding, a beige color.  Lots of pounding coming from over there.  :lol:

Guess you got your food order yesterday?  New tried sriracha, guessing that's hot?

Disappointed my trees haven't dropped more leaves for me today.  I'm starting to eye other people's yards. :lol:

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, cineater said:

Yesterday the house behind me was getting a new roof.  Today they are getting new siding, a beige color.  Lots of pounding coming from over there.  :lol:

Guess you got your food order yesterday?  New tried sriracha, guessing that's hot?

Disappointed my trees haven't dropped more leaves for me today.  I'm starting to eye other people's yards. :lol:

Man - your neighbour must have won the lottery? :lol:

yes, my food order arrived. Imagine that  I paid for an order... and then it actually showed up! lol Yes Sriracha is a hot sauce. It has chili peppers, but I swear most of its heat comes from the garlic in it. A little squeeze can be nice in a chicken noodle soup.

Hahaha, anyone who dropped of a plant for you to care for should be obligated to drop of leaves too. :lol:

Roasting a chicken with a bunch more of those herbs. Still gonna have a go at cuttings though.

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Man - your neighbour must have won the lottery? :lol:

yes, my food order arrived. Imagine that  I paid for an order... and then it actually showed up! lol Yes Sriracha is a hot sauce. It has chili peppers, but I swear most of its heat comes from the garlic in it. A little squeeze can be nice in a chicken noodle soup.

Hahaha, anyone who dropped of a plant for you to care for should be obligated to drop of leaves too. :lol:

Roasting a chicken with a bunch more of those herbs. Still gonna have a go at cuttings though.

It will be my house tomorrow with Craig installing the HVAC.  I may go pick up trash on the road my other garden club adopted.  There's nowhere to be in this house I won't be in Craig's way.  And working on the gas makes me nervous.

I have an invasive plants in your yard class tonight.