06/09/18 - Derby, UK - Donington Park Circuit (Download Festival)

downzy

14 minutes ago, aArief178 said:

It is very saddening to hear him weakening on This I Love....😭😭

one of the best from CD. album version is brilliant. doesn't sound to good live. did he write it for steph seymour ? maybe he just cant let it go 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, OJones90 said:

Here's my footage. Got almost every song on my channel. Some vids are better footage as i zoomed in but generally just held my arm up and hoped for the best. Few more bits to come when i link some clips together. 

I literally just had a devils horns in the air watching that.. Best version I have seen..  Good shit!! That is up there with my favorite performances of the tour!

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, donny said:

one of the best from CD. album version is brilliant. doesn't sound to good live. did he write it for steph seymour ? maybe he just cant let it go 

Definitely he wrote it during the illusions era, so may be about steph. It was great live, but I couldn't stand hearing him doing it in 2018 as his voice began to decline (again).

One of the greatest tracks on CD tho, if not the greatest.

1 minute ago, aArief178 said:

Definitely he wrote it during the illusions era, so may be about steph. It was great live, but I couldn't stand hearing him doing it in 2018 as his voice began to decline (again).

One of the greatest tracks on CD tho, if not the greatest.

so he needs to do the best thing. let it go. both the song and her ..............

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nikothebellic said:

No offense, man, for sure, it's ok. Frankly, I've never enterted this "voice dispute" as I always was like "...Guys, he's 56, give him a break, he's doing well, he's already gave us everything..." and so on. And the show yeasterday was good, the crowd's amazing and the energy's high. But, I'm just a little pissed off that the 3rd gig in a row they're making such obvious mistakes, I mean, that never happened before. It even concerns me rather than irritate. What if one day Axl'll skip the opening verse of PC??? I watched the stream and saw how Axl gave it all to SOYL, so, I assumed that because of this (and Slither) he has no fuel for the rest of the show, but still, who knows. That's only 3rd gig and, hopefully, they'll become more tight in time as it usually happens. But, anyway, the first thought is that they to need shake up the set in favor of Axl. Yet again, no bitching the show at whole, that was fun, the sound was great, but as we know they could better, they did better last year and I suppose such pursuit for perfection is justified. 

I wasn't aware he was skipping lines. That is concerning. No doubt about it. 

everyone is pretty much in agreeance the set list could do with a freshen up. Let's hope a few songs we haven't heard in ages can creep into the shows as this leg goes on 🙂

2 hours ago, donny said:

I remember Axl talking about This I Love when he was making videos for Nov Rain etc and still with Seymour. So my guess is it's about Erin.

It wasn't really meant to be on CD. Finck and Constanzo convinced Axl to include it pretty late, Finck added a solo in 2006. 

Better, There was a Time and Prostitute seem more like the Seymour songs. 

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

I remember Axl talking about This I Love when he was making videos for Nov Rain etc and still with Seymour. So my guess is it's about Erin.

It wasn't really meant to be on CD. Finck and Constanzo convinced Axl to include it pretty late, Finck added a solo in 2006. 

Better, There was a Time and Prostitute seem more like the Seymour songs. 

Erin ? pardon my ignorance but as GN'R lay dormant for so many years i may have got mixed up. i thought the song was about steph. i will bow down to your knowledge on this matter. 

10 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

last time he was in half decent shape was 2010. He wasn't thin but he could move around well and wasn't as bloated. 
I have no doubts he has a personal trainer on tour, he always did, right? 
Perhaps he struggles with a medical issue with his body? I mean we don't know, but then again, KFC and Donkin Doughnuts isn't helping! 

Funnily enough, one thing i just gotta mention post show, the Download cameraman appeared to be having a right subtle dig at Axl when they focussed on “Mac & Cheese” and later “Donuts” signs during the performance!

Surely I’m not the ONLY one who noticed this?!

Even I and other randoms about me had a chuckle about the “Mac & Cheese” sign during Patience 

I think it is obvious that this GNR show needs some adjustment. Just my impressions:

Sound gets better, I think they warm up and Axl seems to feel more comfortable on stage. Nevertheless: he sometimes sounds horrible, depending on the song.

Therefore: a few songs should be banned: f.e.> This is Love is the most horrible thing I ever heard live. Plus the set is too long. Skip some "boring" songs , long does not automatically mean better or more worth the ticket price.

The video installations are kind of oldfashioned and not entertaining at all. More like made by two 14 year olds in 1994. If you want to do this you should keep up with the latest stuff and get in touch with some cool video artists who really know what they are doing. 

Skip the silly motorcycle piano chair and think about the stage outfit again maybe ( okay not the most important part I know, but nevertheless..).. Too many chains and rings and silly shirts. Someone mentioned it before: Axls rehearsal clothes looked much better: sneakers, plain shirt, shorts..Right now his outfit makes him much older and oldfashioned in a bad way, too. Is this supposed to be a rock outfit? It is rather tasteless. Sorry, only my opinion.

When I think about GNR it is not just the songs but the feeling of listening to a band ( and a circle of friends) that is on a real rock mission. Unfortunately, this special feeling disappeared because it is not the original line-up. I cannot warm up to studio musicians like Melissa or Frank. They may be good musicians ( some may disagree:-)) ,but they just do not fit into this concept of a rock band, the magic is def. not there.

Slash is pretty good IMO, Axl is moving from great to horrible depending on the song/mood/rehearsal/moon phase. And sorry again: his new look is quite irritating to me. He never should have done what he did to his face/hair-no matter what it exactly was. Actually it makes him look like 68. I do not care to much About his weight, I guess this is a factor that can be fixed if he wants to. If not: his business-he has to get through this set somehow..

By the way: are there any advisors around GNR who are not yes sayers?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Santacruz said:

I think it is obvious that this GNR show needs some adjustment. Just my impressions:

Sound gets better, I think they warm up and Axl seems to feel more comfortable on stage. Nevertheless: he sometimes sounds horrible, depending on the song.

Therefore: a few songs should be banned: f.e.> This is Love is the most horrible thing I ever heard live. Plus the set is too long. Skip some "boring" songs , long does not automatically mean better or more worth the ticket price.

The video installations are kind of oldfashioned and not entertaining at all. More like made by two 14 year olds in 1994. If you want to do this you should keep up with the latest stuff and get in touch with some cool video artists who really know what they are doing. 

Skip the silly motorcycle piano chair and think about the stage outfit again maybe ( okay not the most important part I know, but nevertheless..).. Too many chains and rings and silly shirts. Someone mentioned it before: Axls rehearsal clothes looked much better: sneakers, plain shirt, shorts..Right now his outfit makes him much older and oldfashioned in a bad way, too. Is this supposed to be a rock outfit? It is rather tasteless. Sorry, only my opinion.

When I think about GNR it is not just the songs but the feeling of listening to a band ( and a circle of friends) that is on a real rock mission. Unfortunately, this special feeling disappeared because it is not the original line-up. I cannot warm up to studio musicians like Melissa or Frank. They may be good musicians ( some may disagree:-)) ,but they just do not fit into this concept of a rock band, the magic is def. not there.

Slash is pretty good IMO, Axl is moving from great to horrible depending on the song/mood/rehearsal/moon phase. And sorry again: his new look is quite irritating to me. He never should have done what he did to his face/hair-no matter what it exactly was. Actually it makes him look like 68. I do not care to much About his weight, I guess this is a factor that can be fixed if he wants to. If not: his business-he has to get through this set somehow..

We the fans on this forum are the minority not the majority. To nit pick every thing about the band and individuals is not going to improve the band performance on stage.

At a time when we are losing great artists, having the ability to enjoy watching the band and  curtain individuals, we should be great full for that opportunity.

I still dont get the amount of fans who seem to want to dectate or decided what the band does, what each person should wear or they dont fit into a curtain box.

Guns N Roses have never fitted into any box as a band or as individuals.

They have had a lead singer who wore cowboy boots, and then wore bicycle shorts, a kilt or skirt with a baseball chest protector, a guitarist with long curly hair wearing a top hat.

Rock and roll has never been about looks or a curtain  fit. 

Look at Elvis,  Bowie or Mercury as each had thier own style of rock and roll.

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

We the fans on this forum are the minority not the majority. To nit pick every thing about the band and individuals is not going to improve the band performance on stage.

At a time when we are losing great artists, having the ability to enjoy watching the band and  curtain individuals, we should be great full for that opportunity.

I still dont get the amount of fans who seem to want to dectate or decided what the band does, what each person should wear or they dont fit into a curtain box.

Guns N Roses have never fitted into any box as a band or as individuals.

They have had a lead singer who wore cowboy boots, and then wore bicycle shorts, a kilt or skirt with a baseball chest protector, a guitarist with long curly hair wearing a top hat.

Rock and roll has never been about looks or a curtain  fit. 

Look at Elvis,  Bowie or Mercury as each had thier own style of rock and roll.

Yes, I get your point. And I did not think about GNR or Elvis etc. should have been perfect in style and attitude. Perfection is boring. But right now it is just mediocre when it could be great. Improvement and being open to new stuff that could actually do something to your performace is always a good idea for someone who wnat to stay succesfull and happy in the Entertainment industry. And : GNR could learn from the mistakes that Elvis or even Michael Jackson ( speaking of great performance artists) have done before. Repeating the same stuff would be very unwise IMO.

One thing I noted from the show was that Axl is the weakest link although he’s trying his hardest. 

I couldnt quite contemplate this was the same Axl of Axl/DC fame at London Stadium 2016 or hell even 2017...

How in the hell he gonna tour and destroy his chords with Acker Dacker again let alone somehow do new Guns tracks?!

1 hour ago, Santacruz said:

Yes, This Is Love was a nightmare in Denmark too. The audience almost didn't clap after and I could understand why. Even as an Axl-fan, this was painful to listen to.

1 hour ago, Santacruz said:

• Like 2

Well, some members on this forum seem to be quite unhappy with some of us being a bit critical towards GNR. Well, my interpretation of being a fan includes being able to take a step back and look at what is going on. I think ist nice to be loyal and I guess everybody who is here cares about what GNR are doing. But I guess if something goes wrong it should be possible to talk about it. Nevertheless I respect other opinions and if people think that GNR are doing their very best right now and enjoy it to the max: go for it! No problem with that!