06/09/18 - Derby, UK - Donington Park Circuit (Download Festival)

downzy

11 minutes ago, Appetite4vinyl said:

I walked 10 miles yesterday after the gig a steward sent us the wrong way done a whole curcit of the camp site. Basically left on the right hand side came back in on the left side to leave again.

Fucking stewards 

When i got to hotel bed I didn't move till morning.

Thats my only complaint of the day. The dope was easy to get in.

I had exactly the same problem, tried to find a taxi rank took a left after the exit as I was told walked for what seemed like years to find a huge taxi rank queue but with no taxis as they couldn’t get into the site due to the traffic coming out, walked back to the other side of the site found another taxi rank and waited for nearly two hours!!! 

Fantastic day though, and Guns were on fire, everyone seemed to be really into it near where I was (few rows from the front near the centre). Definitely needs some solo’s/covers/jams knocked on the head though it’s definitely a vibe killer...especially at a festival.

28 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

So... no proshot, right? The "highlights" are just pictures.

June 29th (will be 2 shows lasting around 2hrs each if past years is anything to go by)
https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-arts/download-festival
Most years headliners get 2 songs on each show - so 4. I was at Download last year and 

they aired 4 from Aerosmith's - Mama Kin, Young lust, Walk This Way and I forget the other one. Miss a thing I think

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

So... no proshot, right? The "highlights" are just pictures.

i have a feeling a lot of pro shot from this gig will be released. the last 2 shows looked like they where playing in front of the terracotta army but yesterday the crowd went mad dancing and singing along to most of the songs..........plus axl was on top form 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, donny said:

i have a feeling a lot of pro shot from this gig will be released. the last 2 shows looked like they where playing in front of the terracotta army but yesterday the crowd went mad dancing and singing along to most of the songs..........plus axl was on top form 

Top top form 

Even frank behaved lol

I'd like both Slither and Shadow to be pro-shot released, but it ptobably isn't likely, I can see Shadow getting the thumbs up due to it being the single out at the moment, it would make sense to get a decent proshot of the song out, and the whole band did well with it. Axl was a tiny bit fast right at the start, but its nothing like Denmark and it still sounds good.

As for the other slots, can see it being Jungle, Sweet Child and possibly NR/PC, as they are the best known of the songs. Jungle was a little meh at points (especially the first two verses) but I suppose it is serviceable enough, same with the rest of them, no real shockingly bad moments from the band in any of those songs.

1 hour ago, Jakey Styley said:

Honestly it sounds like fitness and breath management is one of Axl's biggest problems and one that can be solved. He struggles more than ever to hold notes or drag out words when he is supposed to.

I don't think it would make a difference if he was an olympic marathon runner, the problem isn't the fitness, its the fact he just is struggling with his vocal chops, it takes so much effort he sometimes even falls behind time on songs (TIL is a good example of this). Its the sheer effort he has to put in to get the rasp that causes trouble, and as his rasp has been more and more unstable over the past 2 years, its taking a bigger and bigger toll and effort to get it. Check out the early 16 shows, where he was holding mega long screams with ease...he is no less fit than now, so why isn't he likewise able to scream that long now...the simple answer is his voice just can't do it and if he tried, it'd probably crack out, thats why he is holding back on those longer notes. Better to quit a note early then to have a nice horrible crack in there, or even worse have to do what he did during TIL.

2 hours ago, EvH said:

Slash never steals the show as much as when he's not doing these extended noodlings that appeared during the WOF tour. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

My friend was there and said THOUSANDS of people were going to the toilets during his RQ solo, blues jams. Said it deflated the set. Great while they were playing actual songs, and boring while they "jammed". He said Slash was actually one of the down points because of it actually. And we both live Slash, but come on!!!

Slash plays way too many solos and it was same when we saw them last year and the year before. One big solo section is more than enough. And Richard can have a small solo in heavens door or whatever. Cut the flab.

I will concede that RQ goes on for too long for an arena or festival style gig, but Slash's thing is not what I'd call flab.  I'm gonna Come on! back at ya. :lol: This is Slash!   Anything Slash related is the last thing I'd be dropping to address middle-section-sag issues. 

I'd drop TIL for a start.  I'd drop all CD songs.  I'd drop ALL the covers except for Slither, and ok, he can have the KOHD, or there'd probably be a riot.  I'd drop YCBM and alternate Coma every other gig.  This would make a huge difference.  With the setlist shortened, and the gig tightened up, Slash's soloing thing wouldn't feel like filler, it would be a welcome change of pace.  

No way in the world would I ever stop Slash from doing his thing before first addressing several other issues in the setlist that I'd label as flab. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I will concede that RQ goes on for too long for an arena or festival style gig, but Slash's thing is not what I'd call flab.  I'm gonna Come on! back at ya. :lol: This is Slash!   Anything Slash related is the last thing I'd be dropping to address middle-section-sag issues. 

I'd drop TIL for a start.  I'd drop all CD songs.  I'd drop ALL the covers except for Slither, and ok, he can have the KOHD, or there'd probably be a riot.  I'd drop YCBM and alternate Coma every other gig.  This would make a huge difference.  With the setlist shortened, and the gig tightened up, Slash's soloing thing wouldn't feel like filler, it would be a welcome change of pace.  

No way in the world would I ever stop Slash from doing his thing before first addressing several other issues in the setlist that I'd label as flab. 

Personally think KOHD goes on for too long. However, it's a good track to catch a breather, slow things out and audience participation. Just personally prefer a 5 minute version.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

to right ! to me the lead axeman is what i pay the most attention to at concerts(except keith richards) slash must be second best rock guitarist in the world after angus so telling him to cut back on the solo's is just criminal 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, donny said:

fantastic atmosphere, fantastic show, fantastic day. loved every minute of it. both duff and axl seemed in good spirits smiling throughout and interacting with the crowd. loved the work slash put in with the intro's and solo's, rock aint rock without a screaming Gibson and slash nailed it. 

after being a fan spanning 3 decades i finally got to see SOYL live :) brilliant.

and whats with all the negative comments about the set becoming slow in the middle ? some of the bands biggest hits have been slow songs/ballads. in fact it has been 31 years since they last released an album WITHOUT a slow song/ballad on it so what did you expect ?

would have been nice if they played both don't cry and patience instead of one or the other and they need to replace the seeker with the garden but all in all one of the best shows i've been to 9/10 

I'm being picky with the 'slow' comment.... it was a fantastic show overall and one of , if not the best i have attended (not because of Axls vocal.. just the overall atmosphere and show in general + an awesome show) I probably just noticed the solo section more due to my own fatigue.... far too much ale and a very long day lol! Slash is awesome and does more than enough to show how his talents during the songs. 

Didn't notice the slow sectons in London last year and i went on both nights so it probably was more 'festival fatigue' for me yesterday. 

I'll let you know after Tallinn.......

19 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Not to get into a Slash style commentary, but I just don't think his improv is that entertaining these says. To my ears it's just noodling. Now I love noodles, but I have my limitations 😀

Slash is rightly celebrated in the set, but it's kinda like the Zakk Wylde thing... I just wish there was a bit more self control and self editing. 

I think you are right that some of those songs cause a slump, but for me the slumps happen during the Axl downtime, less downtime more humps that's what I say! Hump de bump

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bangit said:

I'm being picky with the 'slow' comment.... it was a fantastic show overall and one of , if not the best i have attended (not because of Axls vocal.. just the overall atmosphere and show in general + an awesome show) I probably just noticed the solo section more due to my own fatigue.... far too much ale and a very long day lol! Slash is awesome and does more than enough to show how his talents during the songs. 

Didn't notice the slow sectons in London last year and i went on both nights so it probably was more 'festival fatigue' for me yesterday. 

I'll let you know after Tallinn.......

Yeah I think your right, also this is now like the 130th show of the tour, it may haqave been cool at the start of the tour, but especially for the armchair warriors its a little bit old hat now. 

It probably could just do with having something a little more pace and power, maybe in the slot BHS is in just to somewhat break up that long spell of slow/ballad type songs, I mean from WL-KOHD, thats a good 45 minute chunk of the concert that is dedicated to those slower numbers. I know NR does somewhat help it mind you.

Also I feel its more noticeable becasuse of just how fast paced the first half of the show is, I know Estsranged is a long song, as it RQ, but they both have heavier parts to them (especially RQ),but there is quite the blast (especially from the start through to the end of DTJ, thats a blistering combo)

Edited by koldweather

8 minutes ago, Alexmee239 said:

Imagine if out of all the songs we get a TIL proshot 

Oh fuck no, it was not good to be honest. lol! Clearly struggled and went through 4 voices. They need to drop that and throw OUT TO GET ME! back in as a staple. What a tune and Axl sings it well. 

Your Crazy needs to make a comeback as well. 

• Like 1

Full show...honestly they could pick anything from first 30 minutes or so, Axl sounded good! After the first bit of Jungle it was a decent version!
Perhaps a re-jig of the set list to help Axl not get winded is needed...
Also some folks won't like this, but what we need is AXL/DC back...he'll get into shape for Angus, by fire or fury...then a GNR tour to follow like before

to take advantage :headbang:

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AFD5 said:

Had this been a Guns show like Berlin & Denmark there would have been a golden circle. The fact they were headliners of a festival with lots of other bands on the same stage would make it impossible to do.

I am talking about mobile phones being a killer, the atmosphere at London was great despite the Golden Circle being there, because mobile phone use was less. What are you talking about ?

3 hours ago, donny said:

They could do this for years. When people wonder who's going to replace The Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses are the answer. This line-up could easily tour every 5-10 years, charging big stadium prices for big stadium shows. They're got the catalogue, they can pull the crowds.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/what-happened-when-guns-n-roses-headlined-download

Great review!! Thanks for post☺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love TIL but it should be given a rest and replaced with a returning SOD The Blues...it would be an easier song for him to sing without a ton of changes.
TIL is just not a highlight at the moment, it's a real struggle for him to get through and even more so for the audience...it's very exposing on his vocal too...
We've had a few good versions since the reunion and couple of times when Slash produced an amazing solo for it too...
Time to drop it. Say aye

• Sad 1