06/09/18 - Derby, UK - Donington Park Circuit (Download Festival)

downzy

5 minutes ago, koldweather said:

1: Yeah its not a great a sign, especially as typically the chest voice in rockers tends to weaken over a tour, so in theory if he is struggling now with it....

2: Agreed, but its all coming back to needing to dig so deep for the rasp, and its so chest dominated that by lifting the way he does for those screams, he is putting huge strain on the chords, no wonder he then struggles for the next minute or two, its such an effort to get that rasp and push up like that. The question is though is he being technically lazy, or is it just because sometimes his voice is just not quite there and as the years goes by, its harder and harder to mask those kind of days.

I can see a nearly totally clean Axl coming sooner rather than later, its going to have to happen I think for him to get through another two legs. Thats not to say the rasp is gone, but its clearly a heck of an effort. Ironically, its actually similar to 86/87, where his voice often got more tired and quite strained sounding as the show went on, back then though he had the vocal chops in all departments that he could switch it up...these days, those chops burn out in rapid time.

Yeah, that is a great point. As in, if it's all down to an alledged lack of preparation and he has not blown his voice, at this rate it'ts a matter of time until he does. The strain is audible.

On a positive note, today's TIL shows that he can hit surprising notes in his low, natural voice. Perhaps he will eventually have to rely on that.

Oh yeah you can tell he is giving it his all, unfortunately his all these days isn't what it used to be. When the song is mainly high based, he still gets a decent amount of rasp, even if it is of the unstable kind. Can't doubt the effort though for sure, his vocal problems isn't because of a lack of effort, in fact I'd argue the reason he is cracking/adjusting notes is he is probably putting in more juice then his voice can handle at the moment, almost the opposite problem!

Also, whilst I can be hyper crtical on his voice, when I'm at a show unless its a real bad mess up I tend to not really pay too much attention and dwell on the moment too much, where as when your sofa-watching, well then you have the ability to be more critical. Ultimately I think we all want Axl to sound as good as possible and have a long career still. 

6 minutes ago, D.. said:

"Showing up for paycheck": what a fucking joke. Have you seen the goddamn setlist? It's almost 3 hours long. Have you seen a lot of frontmen his age (or more) doing this kind of length? With the technical difficulty of the GN'R catalogue? (please don't mention Metallica). How the fuck is singing for 3 hours "showing up for a paycheck" especially when the man sings Coma? :lol:

Have you ever attempted to sing (even in your shower)? Your voice isn't exactly the same when you speak and when you sing (unless you sing like you're speaking casually). Axl has to hit some very high notes in a lot of songs. He can't use his deep, regular voice at all time. Unless you want to remove the melody.

In 2010 he managed to have his magical rasp signature on almost on every song, and appeared more in control when switching from low key to high key.

8 years have passed.

I can hear in the recent 2018 shows that he's trying his very best. He is definitely going the extra mile. Rocket Queen sounded very good tonight. Yet he has struggled a LOT on this song for years. I have no doubt he has a vocal coach. If he doesn't, then he's fucking good naturally (he always was anyway). Either way, he sounds great overall.

It's not on par with his 2010 level, sure. I doubt he can ever go back to that. I can't really judge him, he's the only one who can do the job. There is no other frontman like him. He has a gift no one else has.

So yeah, not on par with 2010 BUT, he didn't sing Coma, Estranged and Civil War every night in 2010. Those songs alone are very demanding, especially Coma (fucking crazy ending, I challenge everyone to try to sing along to it). And when you look at the setlist overall, it's fucking insane. They were already throwing some nice surprises in 2010, but had I known we would have this kind of crazy setlist every night years later, I wouldn't have believed it.

And he's 56 now. And he's in a fucking good mood. At this point, I don't give a fuck if he fucks up on some songs. (as long as it's not Rock in Rio 2011 again, ahaha)

Singing Coma every night, that alone: he has all my respect. This is proof he knows what he is doing. He is singing for the hardcore fans. He knows it's one of the best songs from the catalogue, and also the hardest one to sing (from the old one). He is trying his best. Sure he makes money, so what? He deserves every penny because he's actually putting some fucking effort into every show.

I've seen a lot of famous bands live. No one I've seen live is as generous and dedicated to his fans as Axl. Except maybe Trent Reznor. But, I prefer Axl's personality. He's just much more charismatic than anyone else. I can't quite explain it. Even now, the way he moves, the way he is... He has that magic something. It's impossible to explain with words. (I'm way past the fanboy I was in 2009-2010, and yet I still sound ridiculous. See? Axl has the power to make me sound young and dumber again. What's not to love about this guy? Ahahaha ; ) I'm just happy he's giving it all. He is living life in LARGE. Let's fucking appreciate it.)

(okay where's my fucking check and the T-Shirt Fernando promised to print me?)

I invite you to our vocal thread! I like your enthusiasm 

It's not what it used to be and probably never will be again. I hate to say this but technically, he is old, on a biological point of view. It's amazing he is still performing at this level. (of course like some other people said on some other topic, Steven Tyler still singing like he is at age 70 is mindblowing).

It's physically impossible for him to have as much stamina as he had when he was 30. Look at what happened to Ali in his latest bouts.

But he's still defying life by doing what he is doing. You may notice it, or not. But him singing for almost 3 hours every show, at age 56, is a performance in itself. Him performing a monster like Coma every show is mindblowing.

Do you prefer what you have now, or would you rather only keep the memories of what he's done and never see him perform again?

I charge anyone to claim Axl is not putting in the effort to watch the Shadow video and say he isn't trying, the guy is giving it all he has in that video!

ps, steveysham, whilst I agree, I do sing, have been on a stage, so I do some apprication of what its like. Of course I've not wrote songs like Axl has...however equally I'm not getting paid millions for my performances either ;) 

I went to London in 2017, not great vocally, but to be honest, when your there it doesn't matter nearly as much for sure!

5 minutes ago, fernomenoyde said:

...you feel like my post was for you? Because there's a lot of people here. And all the bitching is based on the current Axl voice. Used 1993 voice as a reference, are you ok with that?

Still wrong. Most of the critics here about his current voice is compared to how Axl sounded 6, 8, 12 months ago. The difference with 2016 (when he actually DID prepare) is huge. Not even talk about 2010.

It’s not bitching though. I mean, we all want Axl to succeed. Most of the people here have seen atleast one NITL show. His voice deteriorated and that’s a fact. We’re just poiting out, that’s not bitching.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

4.55-5.01 is a phenomenal vocal ! Whole thing is great really ...Axl is in shape and on top form...if the reunion had kicked off then? WOW

Ive been saying this for years. Totally agree it would’ve been massive. I think they could’ve still made relevant music then too. 

I havent watched anything from this show so I cant say how good or bad he is.

However, I see people talking about others comparing him to 93 or 2010, and in my case, I compare to 2016. That was a superb vocal year and was a mere 2 years ago... It was the same tour

Hope everyone who attended this gig had a great time

I do wish that Axl would sing the line "That's the spot that you might linger" correctly.  He changes it to "That's the spot where you might run to" or something and it no longer rhymes with the previous line... He's done it both times it comes up in the song every time they have played it so far.  

• Like 1