Critically acclaimed bands/artists you hate

Silverburst80

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Elvis was heard before he was seen, it was the voice what sold people on Elvis, I mean fuck me early doors a lot of people didnt even know if he was white or black.

Yeah, he had a great voice, but I don't think he would have been quite as popular had he looked like Buddy Holly.

15 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, he had a great voice, but I don't think he would have been quite as popular had he looked like Buddy Holly.

Buddy was a good lookin’ fucker yknow, ridiculous amounts of crumpet he got.  Had a cock like a shire horse as well, so the stories go.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

There was something in that music that spoke to a lot of people, evidently not to everyone. It wasn't that they were so unique or different, because they weren't, but there was an energy or something in the music, and many kids could relate to that. Of course they were overrated, especially after Cobain blew his brains out, but that doesn't mean many kids weren't drawn to that band. And they had some good tunes, too.

Yeah Cobain wore a sweater in Smells Like Teen Spirit video while Axl was wearing white bike shorts, and Def Leppard was singing Animal. So MTV said welp, here’s something new n different. A legend is born via MTV, which Cobain supposedly thought was a big sellout to begin with... without MTV, they never leave the bars of Seattle. Their tunes were ok I guess, but the kids who were too cool for GnR n Metallica at the time and thought Nirvana was somehow more intelligent or deep are wrong.

Smells Like Teen Spirit video was Jungle recreated like 2 years later. But manufactured to happen, unlike Jungle, which got played once on Headbangers Ball and the rest is history... anyway...

Can we all agree that Rush fuckin sucks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with most things that have been said, but he didn't write his own songs, he wasn't necessarily the biggest musical talent, he did have a great voice, but it was his charisma, sex appeal and very good looks combined with what has been said, that put him over the top and made him that popular obviously. And that's cool, but I don't think he would have been as relevant as he still is today if it wasn't for the appearance.

I saw a docu last week about Elvis in the army and he was standing in line with other soldiers dressed the same way, and boy did he stand out... I probably would have questioned my sexuality if I had met him in the 50s.........

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Buddy was a good lookin’ fucker yknow, ridiculous amounts of crumpet he got.  Had a cock like a shire horse as well, so the stories go.  

Didn't the weight made the plane go down?

Edited by EvanG

19 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I agree with most things that have been said, but he didn't write his own songs, he wasn't necessarily the biggest musical talent, he did have a great voice, but it was his charisma, sex appeal and very good looks combined with what has been said, that put him over the top and made him that popular obviously. And that's cool, but I don't think he would have been as relevant as he still is today if it wasn't for the appearance.

I saw a docu last week about Elvis in the army and he was standing in line with other soldiers dressed the same way, and boy did he stand out... I probably would have questioned my sexuality if I had met him in the 50s.........

Didn't the weight made the plane go down?

Thats not the only thing it made go down young fella-me-lad :lol:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Pink Floyd- Can't say i hate them but i just don't get it, i even listened to Dark Side of the Moon when i was high and i still didn't like it.

What about The Wall?

Dark Side has some good songs, but The Wall is a perfect album from start to finish. 

On 2018-04-07 at 6:57 AM, soon said:

You must hate Sarah Mclaughlin as much as me since you doubled down having already said you hated most Canadian bands, lol.  She's the worst.

Not a huge fan of her music, though Fallen has a catchy chorus.  It's mostly for making me feel like crap for not doing enough for shelter animals.  

• Haha 1

On 2018-04-07 at 8:40 AM, Blackstar said:

- Neo-folk "hipster" bands like Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes. I don't get what's great about them.

If you live in a cold climate, go for a walk on a wintery day and pop on the song White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Foxes.  It's great.  A lot of indie-folk acts avoid writing well structured and catchy melodies.  This definitely doesn't suffer the same problems.

23 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

^I agree about Rush/Geddy.

The Tragically Hip are another Canadian band that people seem to love, that I can't stand. Their music just drones on and on like a nauseating Sunday morning hangover.

Metric might honestly be the worst band I've ever heard. Just painfully bad.

And not that they're at the same level as Rush or the Tragically Hip, but fuck July Talk too, they get far more radio play around here than is acceptable. :lol:

And the ones that have been mentioned; U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Doors...

I was never a fan of the Hip mostly as a result of Downie's voice.  Kind of a like Rush: talented musicians who know how to write great music, just can't get past their lead vocalist.  

I wouldn't say songs like Fiddler's Green, Bobcaygeon, or Wheat Kings drone on.  As much as I wasn't a fan, those were great songs (so long as you can get into folksy rock).  

21 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I will never understand the worship and reverence of Nirvana. They were no fuckin different than your average rock band of the early 90s, except for Cobain pretending he wasn’t a sell out. I’ve ranted about this on here many times before, so I won’t go into my usual diatribe. :lol: But I hate them with every fuckin thing I’ve got.

Because Kurt could write better melodies than almost anyone else out there.  All Apologies is essentially a Beatles melody, something few people seem capable of writing anymore.  Nirvana was one of the few that could write well structured, catchy-as-shit melodies, set to heavy guitars.  This is to say nothing about their counter-culture credibility, whether you agree with it or found it genuine.  I'm curious who you consider an average rock band from the early 90s. Ugly Kid Joe?

Foo Fighters.

I don't hate them, I even like most of their songs. Good musicians, solid rock songs, but very middle of the road, and I don't get why they've been one of the biggest rock bands of the last 10/15 years and how they are winning grammys for almost every record they have put out since the 90s. Or maybe these are the reasons?

Edited by EvanG

18 minutes ago, downzy said:

Because Kurt could write better melodies than almost anyone else out there.  All Apologies is essentially a Beatles melody, something few people seem capable of writing anymore.  Nirvana was one of the few that could write well structured, catchy-as-shit melodies, set to heavy guitars.  

Oh, since Nirvana there have been a lot of rock bands with extremely catchy melodies, but I get what you're saying. Nirvana had this primal energy in their music combined with catchy melodies. SLTS consisted of only a few power chords and couldn't have been more simple musically, but it hit like a ton of bricks, and that combined with a very catchy vocal melody and his legendary scream in which you could almost feel his pain, helped them stand out from a lot of other bands. And most of all it felt authentic and the kids could relate to that, they couldn't relate to the hair metal guys from the 80s.

Edited by EvanG

28 minutes ago, downzy said:

I was never a fan of the Hip mostly as a result of Downie's voice.  Kind of a like Rush: talented musicians who know how to write great music, just can't get past their lead vocalist.  

I wouldn't say songs like Fiddler's Green, Bobcaygeon, or Wheat Kings drone on.  As much as I wasn't a fan, those were great songs (so long as you can get into folksy rock).  

They had some songs that were ok, but they just did nothing for me. Moslty, like you said, because of Downie's voice.

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Oh, since Nirvana there have been a lot of rock bands with extremely catchy melodies, but I get what you're saying. Nirvana had this primal energy in their music combined with catchy melodies. SLTS consisted of only a few power chords and couldn't have been more simple musically, but it hit like a ton of bricks, and that combined with a very catchy vocal melody and his legendary scream in which you could almost feel his pain, helped them stand out from a lot of other bands. And most of all it felt authentic and the kids could relate to that, they couldn't relate to the hair metal guys from the 80s.

A simple but catchy and original song is the hardest song to write.  Many of the best known and iconic songs are pretty straightforward and not overtly complex.  Many share the same chord structure (Let It Be, No Woman No Cry, Don't Stop Believing all use the same I - V - vi - IV chord structure).  What separates each of these songs is the artist ability to write a unique and catchy melody within an original arrangement.  Nirvana's success, apart from the "grunge" culture was the strength in Cobain's song writing abilities.  Yes, all the dressing help, but no one would have heard of the Nirvana had their material not been great.  

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They had some songs that were ok, but they just did nothing for me. Moslty, like you said, because of Downie's voice.

What bothered me about the Hip, and it wasn't really their fault, but was the whole Canadiana bullshit that followed them.  

At times it feels as though if you don't like the Hip, play hockey, and eat Tim Horton's, you're not a real Canadian.  

1 minute ago, downzy said:

A simple but catchy and original song is the hardest song to write.  Many of the best known and iconic songs are pretty straightforward and not overtly complex.  Many share the same chord structure (Let It Be, No Woman No Cry, Don't Stop Believing use the same I - V - vi - IV chord structure).  What separates each of these songs is the artist ability to write a unique melody within an original arrangement.  Nirvana's success, apart from the "grunge" culture was the strength in Cobain's song writing abilities.  Yes, all the dressing help, but no one would have heard of the Nirvana had their material not been great.  

I agree. But since Nirvana you had Wilco, Weezer, the Shins, Green Day, and so many other alt-rock bands that hit it big after Nirvana, that had the pop sensibility to write an incredible hook and melody.

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I agree. But since Nirvana you had Wilco, Weezer, the Shins, Green Day, and so many other alt-rock bands that hit it big after Nirvana, that had the pop sensibility to write an incredible hook and melody.

I'd say none of those bands were as consistent and good as Nirvana in terms of songwriting chops.  Granted, Nirvana never had a chance to suck or fizzle out creatively.  

And if you're going to come after something, you better be as good or better to get the same level of attention and accolades.

It's kind of how I see GNR.  I don't think of GNR as being anything new, but just a better iteration of what came before.