Critically acclaimed bands/artists you hate

Silverburst80

18 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I'm working class and i don't lean left, love 70's punk and hate rave. I'm a mixed up bird :lol:

The thing about rave presh is it belongs in a certain context.  You can't be fuckin' standing in your kitchen in Welwyn listening to it on your Morphy Richards tape player whilst knocking out a jam sponge, its gotta be heard whizzin' off your tits on E in club with a bunch of your mates.

• Haha 1

Probably the only band I can say I hate is ABBA and that is only because my drunken neighbor when I lived in a condo used to blast the same songs every night at 2am when he was on one of his benders.

Music I am not a fan of

1. Hip Hop-  I like some of the old school stuff but the new stuff all sounds the same to me

2. Kanye West- ONe of the most overrated acts in music IIMHO plus he is a douche which just adds to my dislike

3. Jack White- I will admit he is talented but never got his music

4. Dave Matthews- Some of the most bland elevator music I have ever heard. I went to a concert of his  with a buddy who has seen him over 100X just to party and have to say the women seem to love this guy so the talent was excellent at the show.

5. Bon Jovi- not terrible but a poster boy for 80's pop rock crap IMHO

6. Bob Dylan- Don't know why but as hard as I try I just can't get into his music.

7. 80's New wave- My wife's favorite music but just can't get into it

8. Modern Country music- I would rather listen to Bon Jovi

9. Iron Maiden-  I love metal but they  remind me of  head banging teenagers with bad mullets............

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Probably the only bad I cn say I hate is ABBA and that is only becasue my drunken neighbor when I lived in a condo used to blast the same songs every night at 2am when he was on one of his benders.

MAMA MIA!!!!  HERE I GO AGAIN! 

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The British love a bit of abba

You might change your mind if subjected to the same songs night after night at top volume   for month's on end at 2am with your drunken ex con neighbor singing along............:lol:

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

In Sweden they are considered handsome.

On 10-4-2018 at 3:20 AM, Nicklord said:

Korn is definitely above other nu metal crap. There's a reason they're pretty much the only band still somehow relevant today from all those

I don't like them one bit, but I always wondered why they were called nu-metal.

Edited by EvanG

On 2018-04-09 at 2:19 PM, papashaun said:

As a whole, I just can't get through those albums from top to bottom, especially "Lullabies to Paralyze."

Really?  That's my probably one of my favourite albums from the 2000s.  I think there's only two songs (Someone's in the Wolf, Skin on Skin) on the album I skip.  

I Never Came is one of my favourite songs from them.  Broken Box is a hell of a fuck you break up song.  Long Slow Goodbye has the best little melody on the album (with some great harmonies to kick).  The Blood is Love has a fantastic grinding riff that carries through the song.  Love the punk riff and drumming in In My Head.  Not going to go through every song but I've found myself listening to this album almost more than any other album from that decade.   

On 2018-04-09 at 9:20 PM, Nicklord said:

Korn is definitely above other nu metal crap.

That's still not saying much for Korn.  

On 4/10/2018 at 9:20 AM, Nicklord said:

Korn is definitely above other nu metal crap. There's a reason they're pretty much the only band still somehow relevant today from all those

They get abit of an unfair rap i think. Those first two albums were good, very original and unsettling/creepy. I don't think they can be held responsible for the avalanche of shit they inspired.

Edited by Silverburst80

11 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

They get abit of an unfair rap i think. Those first two albums were good, very original and unsettling/creepy. I don't think they can be held responsible for the avalanche of shit they inspired.

Korn has always been willing to credit Sepultura with creating the sound.  Its strange though because Sepultures album Roots that is similar to early Korn was released two years after Korns debut. Ive always been curious what the back story is.

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Korn has always been willing to credit Sepultura with creating the sound.  Its strange though because Sepultures album Roots that is similar to early Korn was released two years after Korns debut. Ive always been curious what the back story is.

These bands basically killed my interest in contemporary rock music.  at an age where I was like wide open for that shit, my core teen years, all you ever saw in rock music mags was like Korn and Sepultura and all that shit. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

These bands basically killed my interest in contemporary rock music.  at an age where I was like wide open for that shit, my core teen years, all you ever saw in rock music mags was like Korn and Sepultura and all that shit. 

Im not into it either.  But as a music geek Ive filled my head with all this nearly useless info, so when I see a chance to actually use it I go for it, lol.  Im trying to think what bands ruined my interest but rock was so homogenous and sanitized by that time that my memory is just of an inaudible blob of leave-in-conditioner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Yeah i thought it was the other way round, seemed Sepultura where mimicking Korn on the Roots album. I wouldn't have thought anything prior to that sounded much like Korn, more thrash...though Chaos AD was slower and had more groove. I lost interest after the first two albums they kinda became a watered down MTV friendly version of themselves after that.

Edited by Silverburst80

10 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yeah i thought it was the other way round, seemed Sepultura where mimicking Korn on the Roots album. I wouldn't have thought anything prior to that sounded much like Korn, more thrash...though Chaos AD was slower and had more groove. I lost interest after the first two albums they kinda became a watered down MTV friendly of themselves after that.

Oh yeah, thats a really good point about Chaos AD.  I bet that did get the Korn thing going and then in turn Korn also inspired them in the same direction - like they both developed from the slower groove concept of AD.  Just refreshed myself on that album quickly and now I feel like dusting off my copy of Soulfly's Primative.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh yeah, thats a really good point about Chaos AD.  I bet that did get the Korn thing going and then in turn Korn also inspired them in the same direction - like they both developed from the slower groove concept of AD.  Just refreshed myself on that album quickly and now I feel like dusting off my copy of Soulfly's Primative.

Chaos AD is a fucking monster of an album...i thought Brazil was all beaches, g-strings and football and that album opened my eyes to all the corruption and poverty there.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Chaos AD is a fucking monster of an album.

Yeah, Im enjoying it as I type!  Really glad you mentioned it. :headbang:  To my ears it really does come across (maybe mostly in hindsight) as the place where thrash meets NuMetal/Korn style.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

But you didn't exactly like the hairy buggers who preceded them, your Maidens and Metallicas?

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

But you didn't exactly like the hairy buggers who preceded them, your Maidens and Metallicas?

I might've done, in a different set of circumstances but...its just an envoirnment thing I suppose, people into that shit in school or whatever were like a tiny minority...and even the ones into rock music weren't really into metal, they were more into grunge and that.  I had a very very limited number of albums that I owned that were my own choice to own in the sense of like, stuff I'd bought, nicked or taped off a mate.  Probably like...Guns n Roses, Nirvana, that was about it.  Oasis when they came out, The Beatles had all their stuff cuz of my sister.  But I didn't fuck all music really so y'never know, I might've really like Metallica and all that if I could actually get my hands on it...but I couldn't.  But what I could get my hands on was like, what was the music that everyone listened to back then, like Jungle and that.  And rap.  And I just ended up more into that, by the time I was 16 and getting a job and in a position where I could go out and buy albums and not just singles I was much mostly interested in hip hop and punk or else like...older rock like The Doors or The Stooges or like...alternative stuff like The Butthole Surfers.  So Metal never really got a chance with me.

It just all looked so fuckin' bollocks?  You'd buy Kerrang and there'd be these stringey haired types with their fuckin' Flying V's, it was just awful.  I would scan through these things looking for something cool and find jackshit, maybe a little sidebar about Guns n Roses by some journalist as lost about their future as any fan (or even the band) were.  But there was a time there, from like...11 til 14 I was fuckin' ripe for Metal, cuz it covers all my thematic bases when you look at it, loud annoying aggressive racket with an outsider bent.  But for one reason or another it never landed in my lap.  Also at that time rap just blew everything out of the water?  It was so fuckin' immediate and so...I'm not even sure the word for it but there's just so much mileage in the feeling of something thats happening like...now?  And I don't even mean like it being a contemporary trend but rather like...I dunno, take some metal band, raging on about...I dunno, Cowboys from Hell or whatever, I see the appeal but then take someone like Ghostface Killah with his crazy street slang rhyming about drug deals and painting these wild vivid pictures of street life its so like...un-abstract, relaying stories of danger and...I can't even really explain myself but it was alive and exciting, there's an urgency to it, its pressing, it demands your attention.  Metal and Rock could never really compete with that in the 90s. 

There really is something to be said for music that is of the times speaking about the times with something to say to and about the people of the times.  Its almost invaluable.  Even though they're not talking about my world specifically at least it was like, happening today.  Especially when you're young and exactly the right audience for it.  At that point Nirvana and Guns n Roses kinda have to take a backseat.  Especially Guns n Roses, I mean the Estranged video is so hard to take seriously in the face of like...Against All Odds by 2Pac.  I liken it to punk in that way, bands like The Clash must've felt like in the 70s/80s compared to like...I dunno, whatever fuckin' rock shit was popular at the time, The Eagles or whatever.  For someone like myself they'd be impossible to ignore.  They were kind of like hip hop in the 90s, in the same way that people like 2pac/Ice Cube/Snoop etc all went around saying they were just like...speaking about what was happening in a part of the world, thats exactly the same as what The Clash said in the early 80s that they were like 'a news giving group'.  When you leave the confines of a set of walls and step out into the world, whats happening in the world?  The news is happening, whats happened down the street or in town or in the city is whats happening.  I guess this is probably what Grime feels like for kids today.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there!

Edited by Len Cnut

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I might've done, in a different set of circumstances but...its just an envoirnment thing I suppose, people into that shit in school or whatever were like a tiny minority...and even the ones into rock music weren't really into metal, they were more into grunge and that.  I had a very very limited number of albums that I owned that were my own choice to own in the sense of like, stuff I'd bought, nicked or taped off a mate.  Probably like...Guns n Roses, Nirvana, that was about it.  Oasis when they came out, The Beatles had all their stuff cuz of my sister.  But I didn't fuck all music really so y'never know, I might've really like Metallica and all that if I could actually get my hands on it...but I couldn't.  But what I could get my hands on was like, what was the music that everyone listened to back then, like Jungle and that.  And rap.  And I just ended up more into that, by the time I was 16 and getting a job and in a position where I could go out and buy albums and not just singles I was much mostly interested in hip hop and punk or else like...older rock like The Doors or The Stooges or like...alternative stuff like The Butthole Surfers.  So Metal never really got a chance with me.

It just all looked so fuckin' bollocks?  You'd buy Kerrang and there'd be these stringey haired types with their fuckin' Flying V's, it was just awful.  I would scan through these things looking for something cool and find jackshit, maybe a little sidebar about Guns n Roses by some journalist as lost about their future as any fan (or even the band) were.  But there was a time there, from like...11 til 14 I was fuckin' ripe for Metal, cuz it covers all my thematic bases when you look at it, loud annoying aggressive racket with an outsider bent.  But for one reason or another it never landed in my lap.  Also at that time rap just blew everything out of the water?  It was so fuckin' immediate and so...I'm not even sure the word for it but there's just so much mileage in the feeling of something thats happening like...now?  And I don't even mean like it being a contemporary trend but rather like...I dunno, take some metal band, raging on about...I dunno, Cowboys from Hell or whatever, I see the appeal but then take someone like Ghostface Killah with his crazy street slang rhyming about drug deals and painting these wild vivid pictures of street life its so like...un-abstract, relaying stories of danger and...I can't even really explain myself but it was alive and exciting, there's an urgency to it, its pressing, it demands your attention.  Metal and Rock could never really compete with that in the 90s. 

There really is something to be said for music that is of the times speaking about the times with something to say to and about the people of the times.  Its almost invaluable.  Even though they're not talking about my world specifically at least it was like, happening today.  Especially when you're young and exactly the right audience for it.  At that point Nirvana and Guns n Roses kinda have to take a backseat.  Especially Guns n Roses, I mean the Estranged video is so hard to take seriously in the face of like...Against All Odds by 2Pac.  I liken it to punk in that way, bands like The Clash must've felt like in the 70s/80s compared to like...I dunno, whatever fuckin' rock shit was popular at the time, The Eagles or whatever.  For someone like myself they'd be impossible to ignore.  They were kind of like hip hop in the 90s, in the same way that people like 2pac/Ice Cube/Snoop etc all went around saying they were just like...speaking about what was happening in a part of the world, thats exactly the same as what The Clash said in the early 80s that they were like 'a news giving group'.  When you leave the confines of a set of walls and step out into the world, whats happening in the world?  The news is happening, whats happened down the street or in town or in the city is whats happening.  I guess this is probably what Grime feels like for kids today.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there!

Most metal is shit...but as with any genre there are your gems in there. It has so many sub-genres as well, but yeah if you didn't gravitate to it in your teens your hardly going to now haha.