Critically acclaimed bands/artists you hate

Silverburst80

I don't know if there are any critically acclaimed bands/artists that I straight-out hate or even dislike, I just feel indifferent to them - I ignore them.

But there is one thing in music world that bugs me: over the top praising of certain artists/bands and putting them on a pedestal like they are gods.  

Led Zeppelin is the most obvious example of this. They have made some songs that I like but most of their material I really don't care for that much.  I've noticed, that this eternal echo chamber that's declaring how amazing they are, has made me much more critical of them, than many other artists that came from the same era.    

Edited by Fourteenbeers

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

I'd say none of those bands were as consistent and good as Nirvana in terms of songwriting chops.  Granted, Nirvana never had a chance to suck or fizzle out creatively.  

And if you're going to come after something, you better be as good or better to get the same level of attention and accolades.

It's kind of how I see GNR.  I don't think of GNR as being anything new, but just a better iteration of what came before.  

Yeah, well that's subjective of course. Personally I find a band like Weezer and Wilco more catchy than Nirvana. Not everything Wilco does is catchy, but when they go pop, they do it incredibly well.

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, well that's subjective of course. Personally I find a band like Weezer and Wilco more catchy than Nirvana. Not everything Wilco does is catchy, but when they go pop, they do it incredibly well.

Yes and no.  All art is subjective, but the fact that Wilco never broke through and dominated like Nirvana shouldn't be ignored either.  Love 'em or hate 'em, Coldplay achieved monster success both critically and commercially because they could write poppy, catchy hits that hold up and cut through all other acts.  Radiohead is far more popular and well known than any of the other bands you previously listed other than maybe Green Day (though i still think Radiohead is bigger).  There have been bands that have come out (or discovered) since Nirvana that have reached the same echelons of fame and ubiquity along with critical acclaim.  Compared to the bands mentioned, I'd still consider Wlico a niche act.  Maybe that's just me.  

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yes and no.  All art is subjective, but the fact that Wilco never broke through and dominated like Nirvana shouldn't be ignored either.  Love 'em or hate 'em, Coldplay achieved monster success both critically and commercially because they could write poppy, catchy hits that hold up and cut through all other acts.  Radiohead is far more popular and well known than any of the other bands you previously listed other than maybe Green Day (though i still think Radiohead is bigger).  There have been bands that have come out (or discovered) since Nirvana that have reached the same echelons of fame and ubiquity along with critical acclaim.  Compared to the bands mentioned, I'd still consider Wlico a niche act.  Maybe that's just me.  

Well, in a way they did break through, they've even won grammys. Maybe they didn't have the most commercial success, and I don't know why that is, but there can be a lot of reasons for that, they definitely have the talent and the songwriting skills for that. At least that's my opinion. Some people consider Jeff Tweedy one of the best songwriters of the last 25 years and I think he's probably up there. Wilco has always been kind of diverse, country and folk influences, maybe that doesn't appeal to everyone, or maybe they never cared for a lot of commercial success in the first place.

Green Day

Chemical Romance

Slayer

Mastodon

The Grateful Dead

Bob Dylan

Jay Z

Beyonce

Actually most rappers!

The Killers

The Hive

Pantera.

2 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I don't know if there are any critically acclaimed bands/artists that I straight-out hate or even dislike, I just feel indifferent to them - for me they don't exist. 

But there is one thing in music world that bugs me: over the top praising of certain artists/bands and putting them on a pedestal like they are gods.  

Led Zeppelin is the most obvious example of this. They have made some songs that I like but most of their material I really don't care for that much.  I've noticed, that this eternal echo chamber that's declaring how amazing they are, has made me much more critical of them, than many other artists that came from the same era.    

My mom saw LZ back in 1973 in MSG. Although she loved them on their albums, live they sucked. Long long guitar solos and drums solos and Robert Plant would just keep singing the same line over and over again in their songs.

They never did most of the good songs on their albums just the same shit.

The only song that rocked was Stairway to Heaven. Everything was too damn long and boring.

3 hours ago, downzy said:

What bothered me about the Hip, and it wasn't really their fault, but was the whole Canadiana bullshit that followed them.  

At times it feels as though if you don't like the Hip, play hockey, and eat Tim Horton's, you're not a real Canadian.  

Well aside from liking the Hip that's pretty true isn't it? :lol:

I agree though, the whole "Canada's band" thing surrounding them was/is annoying.

6 hours ago, downzy said:

If you live in a cold climate, go for a walk on a wintery day and pop on the song White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Foxes.  It's great.  A lot of indie-folk acts avoid writing well structured and catchy melodies.  This definitely doesn't suffer the same problems.

Yes, this song is allright. I'm not saying that all their songs are awful. I guess my problem is not that they're not catchy enough, but that they lack soul; which, to me, it's a problem with most of the post-millenium bands, along with the lack of talent or of that "special something". But that's subjective, of course.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes. Slowhand is a bit beige for me. Still like his early stuff. 

Yeah I like the early stuff. It just seems like once you get past Cream he was boring, beige, bland, something like that.

How do you feel about Springsteen?

Judas Priest/Iron Maiden - basically the whole NWOBHM scene. horrible vocals to boot
Fleetwood Mac - safe suburban vanilla AOR
The Eagles - see above
Queen - the shittiest band I've ever heard. A rock band with some guy trying to sing opera. Pick one and stick with it ya cunts.
AC/DC - the fast food cheeseburger of rock music
Lynard Skynard - being that I'm from the south, this was played to death and I will stab my ears if I ever have to hear them again
Dream Theater/Pink Floyd/ELP/etc - I fucking HATE prog rock
Motley Crue and the whole hair metal music - butt rock
Kornl. Sounds like they're trowing their instruments down a flight of stairs
U2 - not only because Bono is a self-righteous twat, but they are very boring
Radiohead - their singer doesn't sing, he whines
Shit that is considered "classic rock" like Deep Purple, KISS, The Who, Thin Lizzy, etc

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, J Dog said:

Yeah I like the early stuff. It just seems like once you get past Cream he was boring, beige, bland, something like that.

How do you feel about Springsteen?

Springsteens a cunt.  I hate all that phoney blue collar 'we-can-make-it-if-we-try' tales of skid row bullshit.  Its just fuckin' populist bullshit.  You can do that kind of stuff without being so lame about it.  Joe Strummer for example.  Claptons good though.  I like Cream, I like the bluesbreakers stuff, Blind Faith are great too.  But yeah, I suppose later on he gets a bit naff but I always find him listenable just based on the guitar playing.  Sort of like Eminem in that regard, the songs might be shit but the rhyming is always top drawer.  I'm an easy going kind of chappie, I forgive a multitude of sins :lol: 

The problem with Springsteen...and Aerosmith that they thought they could do that Stones thing of just throwing a bunch of images of Americana and some non-sequitarial clever sounding phrases together make a career out of it but they're just not that good.  To me there ain't a lot of difference between Springsteen and Bon Jovi.  Living on a Prayer sounds like a slightly more optimistic Bruce Springsteen song. 

Love 'em or hate 'em, Coldplay achieved monster success both critically and commercially because they could write poppy, catchy hits that hold up and cut through all other acts.

We should take a survey on this forum, name 5 Coldplay tracks, see how many people can :lol:  I'm struggling to name one.

EDIT:  Googled their songs, I recognise one title there called 'Trouble'.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

- U2, Coldplay and Foo Fighters: I am not sure if they are still critically acclaimed. They are certainly media darlings. I think I like one or two songs of each of these bands.

- Beck: I don't dislike him, but I find most of his music boring.

- Arcade Fire: saw them live. Boring songs.

- LCD Soundsystem: they are praised because they steal from cool bands. I hated how some media outlets tried to put their Coachella show (after a five-year hiatus :facepalm:) at the same level as GNR.

I'll probably get ripped for this.....but nobody mentioning Queens of the Stone Age?

They have 2-3 songs I like, but at one point they were labeled "Greatest Living Rock Band," in the 2000's??

As a whole, I just can't get through those albums from top to bottom, especially "Lullabies to Paralyze."

11 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Motley Crue 
Kornl. Sounds like they're trowing their instruments down a flight of stairs
U2 - not only because Bono is a self-righteous twat, but they are very boring

Shit that is considered "classic rock" like Deep Purple, KISS, The Who, Thin Lizzy, etc

You don't hold back, do you? :lol:

If by Kornl you mean Korn (i'm guessing that was a typo) They are the only nu metal band I bothered to listen to more extensively - nothing special but nothing horrible either. Kind of "meh"  band.

Has Motley Crue ever been critically acclaimed?  I've never followed them and only know few of their biggest hits, so I'm totally clueless about this. They certainly don't seem the type that critics would be fawning over. 

I agree with you on Bono - "savior of the world" act is really tiresome. He has (had?) a good voice though.  There are couple of  songs from U2 that I like, but really bland band as whole. 

I'm not sure what the true definition of classic rock is, but I would guess that Gn'R:s hits from the 1980's could be considered as classic rock at this point.

Welcome to the jungle baby!

Edited by Fourteenbeers

Some more:

- My Chemical Romance and similar bands

- Evanescense

- I prefer some genres more than others, but I find bands and artists I like in almost everything. Metal is the exception. Apart from the proto-metal of early Sabbath, some stoner metal, Motorhead and a couple of other bands, I dislike all of it and its sub-genres. But if I had to pick between Metallica and Maiden, I'd take Maiden because at least I can take them lightly.

Springsteen: I'm not a fan but I don't hate him either. I don't dislike him as I do Bono, for example. I even like some of his stuff here and there.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I hate all that phoney blue collar 'we-can-make-it-if-we-try' tales of skid row bullshit.  Its just fuckin' populist bullshit.  You can do that kind of stuff without being so lame about it.  Joe Strummer for example.

To me there ain't a lot of difference between Springsteen and Bon Jovi.  Living on a Prayer sounds like a slightly more optimistic Bruce Springsteen song. 

While I agree, maybe it has something to do with the difference of the culture and self-perception of the blue collars in each country, I don't know. I'm under the impression that the white American working class, in the 70s and 80s was different from the British one (as well as from the rest of western Europe). The theme of the honest hard working man struggling to make ends meet together with his wife/girlfriend and they lean on each other without giving up hope etc. is maybe something working class Americans can relate to more (although a portion may see it as patronising or miserable or whatever). And Springsteen has a blue collar background.

On the other hand, I'm Not Down for example, although similar thematically, is more aggressive about things turning around than about enduring.

I also think the American working class is more patriotic. I see the difference in cinema, too. The Deer Hunter, for example, is like the movie equivalent (thematically) of Springsteen.

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Some more:

- My Chemical Romance and similar bands

Yes yes yes to every one of those little bands. I can't stand that whole sound.

37 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Springsteen: I'm not a fan but I don't hate him either. I don't dislike him as I do Bono, for example. I even like some of his stuff here and there.

While I agree, maybe it has something to do with the difference of the culture and self-perception of the blue collars in each country, I don't know. I'm under the impression that the white American working class, in the 70s and 80s was different from the British one (as well as from the rest of western Europe). The theme of the honest hard working man struggling to make ends meet together with his wife/girlfriend and they lean on each other without giving up hope etc. is maybe something working class Americans can relate to more (although a portion may see it as patronising or miserable or whatever). And Springsteen has a blue collar background.

On the other hand, I'm Not Down for example, although similar thematically, is more aggressive about things turning around than about enduring.

I also think the American working class is more patriotic. I see the difference in cinema, too. The Deer Hunter, for example, is like the movie equivalent (thematically) of Springsteen.

I don't know, I'm from a very blue collar/working class region of America, it's honestly about as blue collar as you can get. I don't know many people that rate Springsteen. And I'm also around a lot of country music fans, which share a ton of the same themes as far as the hard working man/struggles/leaning on love in bad times, and they don't even mess with him.

I think he might just suck :lol:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, the British working class are more left-leaning and (dare I say?) more inclined to nihilistic and aggressive musical forms like punk rock ('70s) and rave ('90s).

I'm working class and i don't lean left, love 70's punk and hate rave. I'm a mixed up bird :lol:

1 hour ago, papashaun said:

I'll probably get ripped for this.....but nobody mentioning Queens of the Stone Age?

They have 2-3 songs I like, but at one point they were labeled "Greatest Living Rock Band," in the 2000's??

As a whole, I just can't get through those albums from top to bottom, especially "Lullabies to Paralyze."

They're probably the greatest live rock band tho :D

5 hours ago, papashaun said:

Terribly overrated. My friend went to see them not long ago (because his gf wanted to go) and said they sucked.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:57 PM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

6. Any modern country artists. I actually want to single out the ones you hear on the radio. It's like the same song with the same chord progression and the same lyrics. No individuality whatsoever. And lucky me, I live in Iowa which means I'm surrounded by it!

/rant 

Modern country is very trite with 100% more wrapped up in the American flag and you gotta mention God and Jesus in every fucking song. How did we go from I Walk The Line to I Gotta BBQ Stain On My White T-shirt?

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Springsteens a cunt.  I hate all that phoney blue collar 'we-can-make-it-if-we-try' tales of skid row bullshit.  Its just fuckin' populist bullshit.  You can do that kind of stuff without being so lame about it.  Joe Strummer for example. 

1. You could take any of Springsteen lyrics and it will never hold up to "If someone locks me out I kick my way back in An' if I get aggression I give 'em two times back" 

2. Springsteen sound is way too bloated. The only people who can get away with having 12 people on a stage is Parliament/Funkadelic

3. And like with modern country it's sound is very trite. There's a reason why his band members were stuck doing covers as they went to commercials from some shitty David Letterman, Jay Leno late night talk show.

5 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

You don't hold back, do you? :lol:

If by Kornl you mean Korn (i'm guessing that was a typo) They are the only nu metal band I bothered to listen to more extensively - nothing special but nothing horrible either. Kind of "meh"  band.

Has Motley Crue ever been critically acclaimed?  I've never followed them and only know few of their biggest hits, so I'm totally clueless about this. They certainly don't seem the type that critics would be fawning over. 

I agree with you on Bono - "savior of the world" act is really tiresome. He has (had?) a good voice though.  There are couple of  songs from U2 that I like, but really bland band as whole. 

I'm not sure what the true definition of classic rock is, but I would guess that Gn'R:s hits from the 1980's could be considered as classic rock at this point.

Welcome to the jungle baby!

Well I believe ya gotta provide a reason for the free floating hostility :lol:

Korn is bad but Limp Bisquit is worse. The whole nu-metal thing was full of tattooed and pierced date rapist frat boys. The music reflected it.

Crue  wasn't critically acclaimed. I just wanted to throw in my hatred for hair metal.:headbang::lol:

Classic rock to me was stuff I heard on the radio as a teenager in the late 80's/early 90's so it was all stuff from the 60's and 70's. Basically arena rock stuff. My biggest gripe was FM radio overplayed the shit out of it. I was considered a longhair burnout back then but I gravitated towards The Sex Pistols and DIY post-punk than any of the "professional" accomplished, overly technical music for musicians sake crap (IE prog)

Though it might not sound like it but I really do have more music genres that I love than I hate.