House of Blues 2001 ***NO LINKS***

Watching some clips from this gig. Weird as fuck, to say the least.

Band with absolutely no identity, but Axl's "Mickey" was definitely more powerful and 1985-ish than now. The only good thing that has Axl now is that he can control the screams very well, along with the rasp he uses on SOYL.

On 22/6/2018 at 4:56 PM, AslatIE said:

Solo estoy viendo esto. Hubiera sido perfecto si Finck no estuviera en el escenario. Jesucristo, ¿qué vio Axl en él? Es frustrante escucharlo matando las canciones de esa manera. Las palabras no se pueden usar para describir cuánto jodió Out Ta Get Me, :lol: malditamente horrible :lol: Objetivamente, el peor guitarrista de GNR, con diferencia.

the worst guitarist of gnr? I can understand that u do not like it, but you exaggerate and I even tell u that you have a bad taste

On 27/06/2018 at 6:31 PM, SlashisGOD said:

Whoa there. Finck can’t be the worst if only for the fact that Dj Ashba once played in the band. 

Nice show, shame they never really sustained it in 2001. But those early drafts of songs they really stick out like a sore thumb in this show (although the heavy Industrial OMG & Silkworms were dropped)!

RiR was far too big a jump - a smaller theatre tour (like 5-6k people) to build a buzz and get the band to gel would of been ideal. I think it would of been easier than having their second gig in front of 100k+ people and beamed all over the world. There's a reason most bands do their big shows and live albums towards the back end of tours.

Finck wasn't great in 01/02 - but when he came back and played in 06 onwards he was great. It was wierd because he kept leaving to play with NiN so wasn't really in the band for all of 99 - mid august 00, so I don't know if Axl got him signed up to do the dates in 01/02 and it was quite late in the day or what.

He always got shit for being a sloppy player which was fair criticism in those early shows but he changed his gear quite a bit I think for the 06 shows and was great - then A$hba arrived :/

Very surreal show to see, obviously it's ripped from VHS, HMV Japan and http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/ had this listed for pre order back in the day, someone musta got there grubby hands on a copy.

It's a wobbly show but that's to be expected given that it's the first one back for 7 years & with the new band. Good watch though.

The way it may have gone, in my opinion, would be perform Madison Square Garden on a Saturday night and lead off with Chinese Democracy; a 100 mile and hour fastball.

In reality, it was Las Vegas and Rio, a change-up slash curveball approach, and it went extremely well.

I listened to the rambling intro to ChiDem again, think I got confused the first time.

So what I *think* Axl's saying is that he got the call to do HOB Vegas when he was at HOB Chicago (still not sure why he was there), but the bit about catching the end of Kundun was when he was in LA and getting "ready to leave". For HOB Vegas? Who knows. Whether he wrote the lyrics before or after this is still unclear, but I would go with before as I doubt he wrote the lyrics right before a gig.

Edited by Amir

11 hours ago, goodtimes8inity said:

The way it may have gone, in my opinion, would be perform Madison Square Garden on a Saturday night and lead off with Chinese Democracy; a 100 mile and hour fastball.

In reality, it was Las Vegas and Rio, a change-up slash curveball approach, and it went extremely well.

speaking of MSG, funny how it was their last show in 2002 and it was sold out. I remember the times when the 2006 leaks and tours still were a wet dream and MSG 2002 was the last GNR show ever. 

damn, I'm old! :D 

2 hours ago, zombux said:

speaking of MSG, funny how it was their last show in 2002 and it was sold out. I remember the times when the 2006 leaks and tours still were a wet dream and MSG 2002 was the last GNR show ever. 

damn, I'm old! :D 

On topic of 2002: A couple of shows before MSG, I saw them in Detroit. I was actually kinda sad seeing the venue less than half full to begin with. A bunch of people got up and left between the openers and GNR making it even more empty. Then soon after they sold out MSG and I was like "........the fuck?" :lol:

21 hours ago, RussTCB said:

On topic of 2002: A couple of shows before MSG, I saw them in Detroit. I was actually kinda sad seeing the venue less than half full to begin with. A bunch of people got up and left between the openers and GNR making it even more empty. Then soon after they sold out MSG and I was like "........the fuck?" :lol:

New York is a really big city and selling out MSG isn't exactly hard

I rewatched this one today.

I agree with a lot of people in this thread that said that Axl seemed nervous and then really pleased that the crowd sas recieving them well.

He also seemed really happy with the band performance; his face during the November Rain outro was like " oh yeah. See that guy with the bucket? He's the best fucker I've ever seen. Come on. Taste that shit".

Also, what a stellar the blues we had!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, viruzzz said:

Also, what a stellar the blues we had!

I still think that the best ever renditions of The Blues happened in 2001-2. the later versions were meh and the album version was a disaster and I can't even tell why - it sounds like they did everyting properly, but still the album version doesn't sound as intimate as the earlier ones.