Interview: Slash Admits Guns N’ Roses’ Songs Are ‘Sort of Sexist’

21 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I was reading through an old thread on the China Exchange interview and just happened to stumble across this quote, which I found pretty funny:

What made you change your mind? Hypocrites indeed.

I don't see how those two quotes are contradictory? 

In my mind, a lot what's written during the AFD era is childish and one-dimensional. You simply can't argue that songs like Back Off Bitch or Nightrain, about anger and happiness (imo), have the same kind of maturity as songs like Don't Damn Me or Locomotive. 

Only a few of the songs on AFD are more "grown up" than Nightrain in my opinion, those being WTTJ, Brownstone, My Michelle and RQ, and that's mostly because those songs are anti-drug/warns about something/tells a story in a sense. Think about it. Sweet Child, Think About You and Paradise City all basically share the same subject, or emotion rather.

I mean, they played stuff like It Tastes Good several times in 1988 which fit with AFD to some extent. I can't see anyone being proud of playing stuff like that several years later, can you? People change over time. AFD was angry and juvenile, and seems to have represented Guns well at the time. 

I just don't see why the fuck it's important though. It's just words, words we can all agree are childish, a mindset that the band no longer stand for. I like Out Ta Get Me despite the fact that it only conveys anger and resistance. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 8:28 PM, Azifwekare said:

I was reading through an old thread on the China Exchange interview and just happened to stumble across this quote, which I found pretty funny:

What made you change your mind? Hypocrites indeed.

No hypocrisy whatsoever. I didn't say we should celebrate old songs like Back off Bitch etc. I have an issue with the sad, liberal tossers on Twitter who, just a few weeks ago, caused such a stink about a few lines in Paramore's "Misery Business" that they've decided not to play it anymore. I can think that's fucking ridiculous whilst in a different context wish that Axl would stop this 2001-2018 promotion of Appetite to make way for newer songs with better lyrics that he himself relates to more at his current age. I didn't say it offends me if he sings them now. What pisses me off

I've often made very similar comments about the old songs and it's usually, probably exclusively, in the context one of the people on here who is constantly bashing Chinese Democracy and saying how shit all the songs are and wishing they'd take them out of the set. My response to this is "Why the fuck is Axl still promoting an old album full of sexist, mysogynistic lyrics he said he wanted to stop playing regularly back in 1992? He said he was going to bury Appetite and give us a trilogy plus more. Stop playing most of Appetite every fucking show and give us Twat, Prostitute, Catcher etc. 

Context is king. Fuck you to all the people who liked the post thinking i'd been caught out without properly reading or understanding the context.

Hayley Williams has said that Paramore aren't going to play "Misery Business" live anymore, seemingly because a bunch of virtue-signalling snowflake tosspots have been creating a fuss online about the 'once a whore you're nothing more, i'm sorry that will never change' lyric.

I kind of get it. It's not a very nice sentiment and suggesting that someone can never change their behaviour is more offensive to me than calling them sexually promiscuous. But really, if this is the threshold for self-censorship then we might as well all just pack music, art and culture away and all watch The Antiques Roadshow and listen to Dorris Day. Incidentally, all the liberals love Eminem because he did that shit rap about Trump. Exactly how many times has he murdered his ex-wife in songs?

Easy solution: change the lyrics to 'Once a bore' or 'It's your flaw' and don't capitulate to adults in diapers.

If there was a way to actually measure how many peoples' lives had been negatively impacted as a result of these lyrics inspiring bullying etc i'd wager the answer would be negligible at best. Instead of trolling Hayley Williams on Twitter about lyrics she wrote when she was 17 I wish people would take a look at why an entire industry thinks it's ok to promote the behaviour of e.g. Miley Cyrus to teenagers. Just do a Google image search of "Miley Cyrus inappropriate," have a quick scroll down and ask yourself if you'd like your teenage daughter to be consuming that. Give them Hayley Williams as a role model any day.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2018 at 3:35 AM, Jordan Rose said:

Fucking liberal, virtue-signalling, snowflakey wankery. The tosspots who want to get their panties in a bunch over decades-old lyrics and the like usually turn out to be total hypocrites, one way or another.

Lol the only snowflakes in the world are the asshole conservatives with the bible up their asses, they complain about liberluls, when they have been doing the same crying for decades.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

1 hour ago, Jordan Rose said:

No hypocrisy whatsoever. I didn't say we should celebrate old songs like Back off Bitch etc. I have an issue with the sad, liberal tossers on Twitter who, just a few weeks ago, caused such a stink about a few lines in Paramore's "Misery Business" that they've decided not to play it anymore. I can think that's fucking ridiculous whilst in a different context wish that Axl would stop this 2001-2018 promotion of Appetite to make way for newer songs with better lyrics that he himself relates to more at his current age. I didn't say it offends me if he sings them now. What pisses me off

I've often made very similar comments about the old songs and it's usually, probably exclusively, in the context one of the people on here who is constantly bashing Chinese Democracy and saying how shit all the songs are and wishing they'd take them out of the set. My response to this is "Why the fuck is Axl still promoting an old album full of sexist, mysogynistic lyrics he said he wanted to stop playing regularly back in 1992? He said he was going to bury Appetite and give us a trilogy plus more. Stop playing most of Appetite every fucking show and give us Twat, Prostitute, Catcher etc. 

Context is king. Fuck you to all the people who liked the post thinking i'd been caught out without properly reading or understanding the context.

Hayley Williams has said that Paramore aren't going to play "Misery Business" live anymore, seemingly because a bunch of virtue-signalling snowflake tosspots have been creating a fuss online about the 'once a whore you're nothing more, i'm sorry that will never change' lyric.

I kind of get it. It's not a very nice sentiment and suggesting that someone can never change their behaviour is more offensive to me than calling them sexually promiscuous. But really, if this is the threshold for self-censorship then we might as well all just pack music, art and culture away and all watch The Antiques Roadshow and listen to Dorris Day. Incidentally, all the liberals love Eminem because he did that shit rap about Trump. Exactly how many times has he murdered his ex-wife in songs?

Easy solution: change the lyrics to 'Once a bore' or 'It's your flaw' and don't capitulate to adults in diapers.

If there was a way to actually measure how many peoples' lives had been negatively impacted as a result of these lyrics inspiring bullying etc i'd wager the answer would be negligible at best. Instead of trolling Hayley Williams on Twitter about lyrics she wrote when she was 17 I wish people would take a look at why an entire industry thinks it's ok to promote the behaviour of e.g. Miley Cyrus to teenagers. Just do a Google image search of "Miley Cyrus inappropriate," have a quick scroll down and ask yourself if you'd like your teenage daughter to be consuming that. Give them Hayley Williams as a role model any day.

That sucks that band did that, i can see that's the way things are going. Bands will overthink their lyrics..."oh what will people think, what will i think oft these lyrics when i'm 50!"

7 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

I can think that's fucking ridiculous whilst in a different context wish that Axl would stop this 2001-2018 promotion of Appetite to make way for newer songs with better lyrics that he himself relates to more at his current age.

Indeed Axl expressed that years ago, and I think it's ridiculous that people get their panties in a twist when Slash says basically the same thing. In fact, he didn't even mention moving away from the material. He acknowleged the whole 'me too' thing and actually came across as quite indifferent to it, but apparently he's still a 'snowflake'.

8 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

I have an issue with the sad, liberal tossers on Twitter who, just a few weeks ago, caused such a stink about a few lines in Paramore's "Misery Business" that they've decided not to play it anymore.

I'm suprised anyone gives a toss about Paramore.

8 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Stop playing most of Appetite every fucking show and give us Twat, Prostitute, Catcher etc.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind them giving us some twat and prostitutes... oh wait

10 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Hayley Williams has said that Paramore aren't going to play "Misery Business" live anymore, seemingly because a bunch of virtue-signalling snowflake tosspots have been creating a fuss online about the 'once a whore you're nothing more, i'm sorry that will never change' lyric

I'm sorry dude, I don't know where you are pasting this from but this is complete utter bullshit, made-up stuff to suit someone else's agendas. Paramore and more precisely, Hailey Williams did not retire the song because " a bunch of virtue-signalling snowflake tosspots" put pressure on her or whatever. She did it because she wanted and because she's grown up now and she's a feminist and understands the harm those words do on people and how bad is to have a song perpetuating stereotypes, especially among teenagers and young people.

So here's the truth of Hailey Willliams and her 'Misery Business':
“Tonight we’re playing this song for the last time for a really long time.
This is a choice that we’ve made because we feel that we should.
We feel like it’s time to move away from it for a little.”

She wrote on a blog post in her TumblR:

Misery Business is not a set of lyrics that I relate to as a 26 year old woman. i haven’t related to it in a very long time. Those words were written when i was 17… admittedly, from a very narrow-minded perspective. it wasn’t really meant to be this big philosophical statement about anything. it was quite literally a page in my diary about a singular moment i experienced as a high schooler. 

…and that’s the funny part about growing up in a band with any degree of success. people still have my diary. the past and the present. all the good AND bad and embarrassing of it!

“[The lyrics] literally came from a page in my diary. What I couldn’t have known at the time was that I was feeding into a lie that I’d bought into, just like so many other teenagers – and many adults – before me. The whole, ‘I’m not like the other girls’ thing… this ‘cool girl’ religion. What even is that? Who are the gatekeepers of ‘cool’ anyway? Are they all men? Are they women that we’ve put on top of an unreachable pedestal?

“The problem with the lyrics is not that I had an issue with someone I went to school with. That’s just high school and friendships and breakups. It’s the way I tried to call her out using words that didn’t belong in the conversation. It’s the fact that the story was setup inside the context of a competition that didn’t exist over some fantasy romance.”

It’s rare to see an artist do this. Without taking aim at any particular bands, imagine how mute most pop punk singers would have to be on stage were they to adopt the same approach. Clearly, there’s something of an understanding between bands, fans, and the media, that artists aren’t always going to portray their best selves in their lyrical content. Williams didn’t have to address this issue head on, but it’s clear that being able to confront these things is an important part of her personal growth.

“I do like to know at the end of the day that I tried to do the right thing,” Williams says. “And who knows, maybe that’s all in vain? My path was my own – there are no two the same. For whatever reason, I believe I was supposed to have written those backwards words and I was supposed to learn something from them… years later. It’s made me more compassionate toward other women, who maybe have social anxieties… and toward younger girls who are at this very moment learning to cope and to relate and to connect. We’re all just trying our damnedest. It’s a lot easier when we have support and community with each other. Vulnerability helps lay the foundation for all that.”

Hayley Williams is honest and very brave as an artist to pull off probably one of their biggest hits. She's got 'the balls' some men don't have.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I would be just as pissed as anyone if It's So Easy and Used To Love Her etc. get dropped.

I can live without either of them.... especially Used To Love Her.

I didn't sing it when they played it on my show. Actually, I remained standing up with my arms crossed :lol:

Edited by killuridols