Help needed - I've fucked up my phone and storage.

alfierose

I've got a Galaxy S5 (yes old now I know). Something went wrong with it, I keep getting an error message 'the process android.process.media has stopped'

I tried fixing it following some googling (very dumb!) and I've managed to delete all my media files - photos, videos, music.

Not too bothered about the music as that is backed up elsewhere but photos and videos are the issue.

I downloaded a data recovery app which found all my photos and vids so they are still there but I can't restore them because it's telling me there is no room and the app I used doesn't give an option where to save them to (I'm assuming it just restores them to device storage) I don't know why there is no room because obviously they were stored there in the first place.

I can't do any proper curating via app manager because of this error message.

I don't really care if the phone is screwed because I can get another I just don't want to lose the photos and now have no idea how to get them off the phone seeing as they are only visible in this data recovery app.

If you can make any sense of the above and have any advice it will be gratefully received :)

41 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I've got a Galaxy S5 (yes old now I know). Something went wrong with it, I keep getting an error message 'the process android.process.media has stopped'

I tried fixing it following some googling (very dumb!) and I've managed to delete all my media files - photos, videos, music.

Not too bothered about the music as that is backed up elsewhere but photos and videos are the issue.

I downloaded a data recovery app which found all my photos and vids so they are still there but I can't restore them because it's telling me there is no room and the app I used doesn't give an option where to save them to (I'm assuming it just restores them to device storage) I don't know why there is no room because obviously they were stored there in the first place.

I can't do any proper curating via app manager because of this error message.

I don't really care if the phone is screwed because I can get another I just don't want to lose the photos and now have no idea how to get them off the phone seeing as they are only visible in this data recovery app.

If you can make any sense of the above and have any advice it will be gratefully received :)

I'm not an expert on Android phones but I think that most of them accept additional storage using memory cards. Can you insert an SD card and save the content to that?

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I'm not an expert on Android phones but I think that most of them accept additional storage using memory cards. Can you insert an SD card and save the content to that?

I've got one in there already but it's full of music. I can get another one and try but this error message is stopping a lot of the functionality. It's possible it's all backed up to my google account (I have it set to auto sync) but I daren't do a factory reset in case I fuck up further.

I hate technology today. Whatever was wrong with separate landlines, cameras and letter writing? :max: :lol:

1 minute ago, arnold layne said:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yes :lol:

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

I can see you in my whatsapp. I'm gonna text something. Tell me if you see me. I don't know here you stored your pics.

I stupidly deleted them from device storage because google said it would fix the error message. I thought I was just deleting cache or something but I wiped the lot. They are still recoverable via the app I downloaded but no idea how to get them from the app onto something else.

This probably makes little sense to anyone else and I'm no doubt just rambling out of pure technological frustration at this point. :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I stupidly deleted them from device storage because google said it would fix the error message. I thought I was just deleting cache or something but I wiped the lot. They are still recoverable via the app I downloaded but no idea how to get them from the app onto something else.

This probably makes little sense to anyone else and I'm no doubt just rambling out of pure technological frustration at this point. :facepalm:

As long as you're sure you can recover them. Then I don't think you should worry too much. I don't get the google error thing

@alfierose maybe you can do it on a computer by connecting your phone to it. There is software that can recover data from android and save it to the computer. First back up your phone to the computer's hard drive, so in case the software doesn't work, you can do a factory reset on your phone and restore the data from your computer.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

@alfierose maybe you can do it on a computer by connecting your phone to it. There is software that can recover data from android and save it to the computer. First back up your phone to the computer's hard drive, so in case the software doesn't work, you can do a factory reset on your phone and restore the data from your computer.

Thanks. I'm going to try that after the SD card. I've got a MacBook and it won't sync so I need to borrow a PC.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Did you take it to your phone or provider store? They probably can help you. I hope so.

I think that's a last resort. It's a really old phone now and long out of contract. I might be able to find an independent phone store if I run out of other options.

8 hours ago, aliexpress said:

Try logging into google photos on a computer, all my pictures and videos back up automatically to it and if you've wiped the phone they should still be saved on the cloud under your gmail account.

Thanks. I tried your suggestion and I've managed to get some of them uploaded there. Not sure why not all of them but I'll keep trying.

• Like 1