Talkin' Rock Podcast w/ Ron "Bumblefoot"Thal

New interview. Only putting this in D&N for now because of the Chinese Democracy mention during the interview:

https://wrif.com/episodes/talkin-rock-with-ron-bumblefoot-thal/

Here's some notes about the interview-

Wow! What an interview with guitar wizard, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal. I caught up with him in Niagara Falls, NY, on a recent stop with David Ellefson on his Basstory tour. Bumble was nice enough to sit in my car for a while and tell me about lots of stuff, including...

*The tour with David

*How Sons of Apollo started and the past year touring with the band

*The making of the debut album

*Guitar players he really admires

*Writing for SOA vs. solo stuff

*What he wants the new SOA to sound like and when they'll hit the studio

*Trying out for other bands

*Carl Palmer's drum camp he's involved with near the end of 2019

*Bands that influenced him as a kid

*Guitar parts he can't figure out

*What kind of kid he was

*A message for the GNR fans on the 10th anniversary of Chinese Democracy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting it! I never was huge fan of his contributions on CD, but he did a great job live on stage. I will never forget the moment when they played Estranged for the first time in 20 years at Rock in Rio IV.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

I used to love Bumble's solo work but I never really followed SoA and only watched a video of them just yesterday. Can't believe they're 2 parts Dream Theater... they sound good.

I saw SoA several times on the last tour, they're really good. I'm looking forward to the next album and tour for sure.

10 minutes ago, cineater said:

Any mention of his cats?

No, but plenty of mention of things people would actually want to hear about :lol:

19 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Any mention of Art of Anarchy? Or the legal issues with Scott Stapp?

I highly doubt that band will ever exist again. Sons of Apollo has better music, which is also probably more engaging to play and write. They also have more popular members with bigger shows. Theres essentially zero reason for Art of Anarchy to exist anymore

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I highly doubt that band will ever exist again. Sons of Apollo has better music, which is also probably more engaging to play and write. They also have more popular members with bigger shows. Theres essentially zero reason for Art of Anarchy to exist anymore

They could do it for me.:shrugs:

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

And me. I preferred AOA over SOA.

I much prefer sons of Apollo, but that's it really, totally different music so it's not gonna suit everybody. For me SOA has more life in the music, something that AOA just didn't have (to me). I really didn't like the riffs in AOA, reminded of early 00s metal or the production style. It was the first bumble related music that I just couldn't get into in any way.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I much prefer sons of Apollo, but that's it really, totally different music so it's not gonna suit everybody. For me SOA has more life in the music, something that AOA just didn't have (to me). I really didn't like the riffs in AOA, reminded of early 00s metal or the production style. It was the first bumble related music that I just couldn't get into in any way.

I love the debut SoA album. My favorite parts of this podcast were when Meltdown got Ron to talk a lot about what the future plans for SoA are. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I love the debut SoA album. My favorite parts of this podcast were when Meltdown got Ron to talk a lot about what the future plans for SoA are. 

Well, at least he's in a functional band now. He has wasted his talent while being in GN'R for much to long. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Well, at least he's in a functional band now. He has wasted his talent while being in GN'R for much to long. 

Then again, if it wasn’t for his tenure in GN’R, barely anyone would have heard of him today. He made his name there. 

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I know what you mean about AOA and early 00s metal sounding riffs, but some of the songs actually reminded me of the uptempos on Chinese Democracy, especially on that first AOA album with Weiland. And as I love CD, I really dug the sound/production on that first record, far more than anything on SOA's debut.

Get On Down is still my jam.

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Then again, if it wasn’t for his tenure in GN’R, barely anyone would have heard of him today. He made his name there. 

Lol, no. Barely in any GNR fans would've known who he is. He was well known in the rock world before GNR. 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Ok, I hadn’t heard of him. Let’s agree that he’s gotten a bit more known during/since his GN’R chapter... ;)

He hasn't really though. GN'R fans are aware of him, but in the general music community he's still held in the same high regard he was prior to joining GN'R. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

He hasn't really though. GN'R fans are aware of him, but in the general music community he's still held in the same high regard he was prior to joining GN'R. 

If you think so... I wouldn’t go as far as to speak for the whole music community... but in any case, my point was merely that he is hardly less known now than he was prior to GN’R, that’s all.