Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

Serious question, are all the other things we might possibly do to reduce emissions gonna amount to much in the face of what must be a collosal amount of emissions from airplanes, cars, industry etc.  Dies' has a point y'know, about the planes, I know yous don't get on but, talking strictly about the facts here, you can say y'know, lets do the things that we can that don't bring our way of life to a halt and result in us needing to live like Swampy in the fuckin' trees but what if our way of life is the problem here?  And if everyone takes your position about it then thats sort of the problem, the change has to come from each individual individually to reduce or stop partipating in the collective acts we do that cause the most emissions.  And if you can't do that because its so contrary to a functional world and our way of life well then...we're sort of fucked aren't we and all the fannying on about climate change and calling Greta a good ol' girl ain't gonna make a stick of difference.  Correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Serious question, are all the other things we might possibly do to reduce emissions gonna amount to much in the face of what must be a collosal amount of emissions from airplanes, cars, industry etc. 

Yes :lol: There are many things we could do to reduce carbon emissions below the threshold. We could drastically reduce international transportation, we could all shift to electric cars, we could stop having pets, we could tax industry more for carbon emission, we could have less children, etc etc. But fortunately we don't have to do all because the goal isn't to reduce carbon emission to zero, but below a certain threshold where carbon will stop stockpiling in the atmosphere. Some carbon emission is entirely okay. In fact, it is an intrinsic side-effect of existing. So ending transportation is not crucial, I am not saying it won't help, just that it isn't a required step. Experts have identified the actions that we can take that will cause a sufficient reduction with the least detrimental effects to our ways of life, and as it is that doesn't include an end to transportation. For kost part it is the first steps to a systemic change in our use of fossil fuels, mostly affecting the industry. 

Edited by SoulMonster

24 minutes ago, action said:

well, I guess then you're right and I'm wrong :lol: 

it is. to control the weather, you need to change circumstances for one particular point in time. To change the climate, you need to change it for a long period of time.

I suppose thousands of people who devote their professional lives studying climate and climate change, are right, and that you are wrong. And that my decision to trust the experts is sound. 

As for changing weather, that includes changing wind direction, temperature, wind strength, humidity, cloud patterns, etc, in specific ways, all of which require immensely complex actions that go beyond our current understanding and technology (we cannot even predict the weather very accurately), which is infinitely more complex than "just" reducing carbon emissions. 

16 minutes ago, action said:

engineers-this-ship-is-unsinkable-titani

if only a scientist had build the titanic

...oh, wait

Engineers aren't typically scientists. That being said, of course scientists can be wrong. They are humans after all. But I can't think of an example where entire cross-disciplinary scientific communities comprised of thousands of individual scientists have all been wrong. 

I can think of enough examples where random people on Internet have been wrong, though. 

More climate hypocrisy from preening pampered hectoring elites, in this case our very own Prince Charles who chose to drive to the Swiss summit in an electric car in order to make a rhetorical point about climate change, having ehh flown to Switzerland in a chartered jet earlier!!

That is the equivalent of an ethical vegetarian eating a T-Bone steak, only to follow it up with a humus salad later and saying, ''look, I have ate a humus salad, look how pro-animal I am''

Edited by DieselDaisy

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

More climate hypocrisy from preening pampered hectoring elites, in this case our very own Prince Charles who chose to drive to the Swiss summit in an electric car in order to make a rhetorical point about climate change, having ehh flown to Switzerland in a chartered jet earlier!!

Definitely bad style :) You really need to overthrow your defunct royals and prostrate before your Norse overlords again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Serious question, are all the other things we might possibly do to reduce emissions gonna amount to much in the face of what must be a collosal amount of emissions from airplanes, cars, industry etc.  Dies' has a point y'know, about the planes, I know yous don't get on but, talking strictly about the facts here, you can say y'know, lets do the things that we can that don't bring our way of life to a halt and result in us needing to live like Swampy in the fuckin' trees but what if our way of life is the problem here?  And if everyone takes your position about it then thats sort of the problem, the change has to come from each individual individually to reduce or stop partipating in the collective acts we do that cause the most emissions.  And if you can't do that because its so contrary to a functional world and our way of life well then...we're sort of fucked aren't we and all the fannying on about climate change and calling Greta a good ol' girl ain't gonna make a stick of difference.  Correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am.

I can't, by any stretch of the imagination, imagine @DieselDaisy to live in the trees, with his three piece suit and hourglass he holds in his hand.

as for people like @EvanG, they're used to live in a third world country I guess

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes :lol: There are many things we could do to reduce carbon emissions below the threshold. We could drastically reduce international transportation, we could all shift to electric cars, we could stop having pets, we could tax industry more for carbon emission, we could have less children, etc etc. But fortunately we don't have to do all because the goal isn't to reduce carbon emission to zero, but below a certain threshold where carbon will stop stockpiling in the atmosphere. Some carbon emission is entirely okay. In fact, it is an intrinsic side-effect of existing. So ending transportation is not crucial, I am not saying it won't help, just that it isn't a required step. Experts have identified the actions that we can take that will cause a sufficient reduction with the least detrimental effects to our ways of life, and as it is that doesn't include an end to transportation. For kost part it is the first steps to a systemic change in our use of fossil fuels, mostly affecting the industry. 

no, we can't. unless you want to give up 90% of consumer goods, food and medicine.

It's statements like this, that give away your stance of an activist rather than a scientist

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

like what? teleportation?

5 minutes ago, action said:

I can't, by any stretch of the imagination, imagine @DieselDaisy to live in the trees, with his three piece suit and hourglass he holds in his hand.

as for people like @EvanG, they're used to live in a third world country I guess

I am not the one espousing this nonsense though! I cannot very well be accused of hypocrisy as I believe climate change is hyperbole anyway. 

7 minutes ago, action said:

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you, but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. Because I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you, but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. Because I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.

just making fun of your country, like you did of mine earlier this day;

geez, do I need to explain every joke I make today? what the fuck is wrong with me. Where is the time I used to be witty and humorous?

I must have been inhaling too much CO2 gas, it's gotten to my brain :( don't blame me, blame trump!

Just now, action said:

just making fun of your country, like you did of mine earlier this day;

geez, do I need to explain every joke I make today? what the fuck is wrong with me. Where is the time I used to be witty and humorous?

I must have been inhaling too much CO2 gas, it's gotten to my brain :( don't blame me, blame trump!

...obviously you don't know your 80's movie references all too well...

11 hours ago, action said:

It's statements like this, that give away your stance of an activist rather than a scientist

like what? teleportation?

Well, as far as climate change is considered I am more of an activist than a scientist. I wouldn't really refer to me as either, but...

You will just have to read the IPCC reports yourself. But mostly it is about a shift from fossilized fuel to less environmentally damaging fuel sources, reducing CO2 emissions from the energy sector (shift away from oil and gas), and reforestation. If I remember correctly.