Appetite for Distortion - Doug Goldstein talks The Spaghetti Incident | Ep. 210

Good interview as always, though I find Doug to be off with his timings. Smells Like Teen Spirit came out 2 years before TSI, in September 1991 to be exact.

So I don’t think they were competing with that song in the charts when TSI was released in November 1993, though Nirvana were definitely still the hot new rock act at the time over GN’R. 

• Like 1

Maybe he meant In Utero (released in Sept. 1993). He often gets the timeline wrong. But I find it hard to believe that this was the reason (or at least the main reason) Geffen didn't push Spaghetti, considering that a year later David Geffen wanted GnR to do the Sympathy for the Devil cover. Slash said that Geffen "buried" the album because of the Manson song.

Doug says Hair of the Dog and Since I Don't Have You were his ideas. But Hair of the Dog had been played live since the Hollywood Rose days, and it's not only Slash who said that including it was his idea. Axl also attested it saying that he was surprised because Slash used to hate the song. As for Since I Don't Have You, Slash said Axl used to sing it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe he meant In Utero (released in Sept. 1993). He often gets the timeline wrong. But I find it hard to believe that this was the reason (or at least the main reason) Geffen didn't push Spaghetti, considering that a year later David Geffen wanted GnR to do the Sympathy for the Devil cover. Slash said that Geffen "buried" the album because of the Manson song.

Doug says Hair of the Dog and Since I Don't Have You were his ideas. But Hair of the Dog had been played live since the Hollywood Rose days, and it's not only Slash who said that including it was his idea. Axl also attested it saying that he was surprised because Slash used to hate the song. As for Since I Don't Have You, Slash said Axl used to sing it.

Geffen burying the album due to the Manson song kinda makes sense. At the time the album came out, GnR had been one of the top bands in the world. I don’t understand why in the hell Axl thought it was good idea to add a shitty sounding version of a pathetic attempt at a song. The Manson family murders affected the entire entertainment industry and the effects are still felt today.

Personally, I was so pissed off by it that I didn’t even buy TSI? when it came out. I actually just recently purchased the LP thanks to the CD Vinyl thread - thanks @RussTCB :lol:

• GNFNR 1

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

For more on the 'Look at Your Game, Girl" and its reactions: https://www.a-4-d.com/t5007-17-august-november-1993-lawsuits-and-the-spaghetti-incident#19976

If you scroll down there you can see a long-as-hell essay about the song that Axl supposedly wrote in 1993. I guess that already back then he was writing these long-winded essays to try over-defend his stance on everything...

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, CheapJon said:

According to Marilyn Manson, he was the one who introduced Charles Manson’s music to Axl, there’s a story about it in his autobiography. But there’s ALOT of crazy shit stories in that book..

Yeah, I have difficulty to believe his story. I think he said Axl didn't know anything about Manson at the time and then six months later there was the song on TSI. But Axl wore a Manson t-shirt (a different one from the one he wore in 1993) already in 1991, so he would have known at least who he was.

The Lemmons brothers (the two shady types that had the company that sold the "Charlie Don't Surf" t-shirts) also credited themselves for introducing Axl to Manson and the song.

There's another weird guy, who is/was kind of Manson's biographer, who claimed that his band was recording next to GnR when they were recording AFD and had discussions with Axl about Manson.

And then there is Axl's version, who said that he first heard Look At Your Game Girl from his brother Stuart during a "Guess the artist" game. 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yup, I assumed it was In Utero that he referenced. 

• Like 2

@Gambit83 a little something about the parties at the Old Homestead restaurant Doug mentioned :) 

As the party surged into the wee hours, waiter Randy Steinman revealed to Axl that he’d likely miss court-reporting classes the next day. Axl wrote this note for his teacher, “Dear Mr. Sacco, I’m so sorry Randy was absent from school as he was working hard to feed starving heathens. Please excuse him, as with any luck it will happen again. Sincerely. W. Axl Rose.’’

1992_034.jpg

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3790-1992-07-30-new-york-daily-news-homestead-act-of-92

Edited by Blackstar
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/6/2020 at 4:51 AM, Blackstar said:

The dude is a fruit loop. To be the manager of such a huge band and get so many facts mixed up is strange. I really don’t enjoy hearing him be interviewed. 

On 8/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, DTV88 said:

Geffen burying the album due to the Manson song kinda makes sense. At the time the album came out, GnR had been one of the top bands in the world. I don’t understand why in the hell Axl thought it was good idea to add a shitty sounding version of a pathetic attempt at a song. The Manson family murders affected the entire entertainment industry and the effects are still felt today.

Personally, I was so pissed off by it that I didn’t even buy TSI? when it came out. I actually just recently purchased the LP thanks to the CD Vinyl thread - thanks @RussTCB :lol:

It’s one Axl’s nicest vocals, though. One of the simplest songs Axl ever recorded. 

On 8/6/2020 at 10:13 AM, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I have difficulty to believe his story. I think he said Axl didn't know anything about Manson at the time and then six months later there was the song on TSI. But Axl wore a Manson t-shirt (a different one from the one he wore in 1993) already in 1991, so he would have known at least who he was.

The Lemmons brothers (the two shady types that had the company that sold the "Charlie Don't Surf" t-shirts) also credited themselves for introducing Axl to Manson and the song.

There's another weird guy, who is/was kind of Manson's biographer, who claimed that his band was recording next to GnR when they were recording AFD and had discussions with Axl about Manson.

And then there is Axl's version, who said that he first heard Look At Your Game Girl from his brother Stuart during a "Guess the artist" game. 

I’d be likely to believe Axl’s version. 

• Like 1