Appetite for Distortion - BigChris Flores unearths lost Slash/Chester Bennington track | Ep. 267

Music producer BigChris Flores worked with Slash on collaborations with Fergie, Rihanna, and Chester Bennington. BigChris discusses these pairings, including why the Chester/Slash song "Crazy" hadn't been heard, until now.

1 minute clip of "Crazy" shared with BigChris's permission at the end of the broadcast.

BigChris Flores unearths lost Slash/Chester Bennington track | Ep. 267 - YouTube

BigChris Flores unearths lost Slash/Chester Bennington track | Ep. 267 by Appetite for Distortion | Free Listening on SoundCloud

• Like 3

2 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Very Velvet Revolver sounding. Chester would have been a good replacement for Scott.

Supposedly Chester was auditioned but they elected no because he was already juggling a few bands.

I kind of hope slash, duff and matt to rekindle velvet revolver and get a new singer. It will be more proactive than what we get now with gnr thats for sure

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

Brando have you ever reached out to Merck? He’d have a few interesting tales from the CD era and his departure would make for an intriguing listen too!

got this response in February

"Thanks for your request for an interview with Merck Mercuriadis.  Unfortunately Merck is not available for this request, but we appreciate you reaching out!"

• Sad 4

On 5/21/2021 at 8:08 PM, vloors said:

Supposedly Chester was auditioned but they elected no because he was already juggling a few bands.

I kind of hope slash, duff and matt to rekindle velvet revolver and get a new singer. It will be more proactive than what we get now with gnr thats for sure

That's never going to happen.

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

People used to say this about some other band aswell haha

Different situations. I doubt most would care if Velvet Revolver regrouped - if they even remember them at all.   

Edited by -W.A.R-

On 5/26/2021 at 1:59 AM, -W.A.R- said:

Different situations. I doubt most would care if Velvet Revolver regrouped - if they even remember them at all.   

I think it would be a nice side project for Slash and Duff to revive to work together again once they realize Axl and GNR will never release new music. They are not that old, they have a good 20 years left in the tank for working in music. Would make Slash write a bit different music instead of releasing the same album with SMKC over and over again. Because if he is going to do that, Slash will have a legacy like ACDC just within SMKC of having released the same album 15 times, and I think that band is already done artistically right now after 3, LTD barely had 2-3 good songs, 80% recycled dross that wouldn't make World on Fire. It would allow Slash to work with a different singer, without putting SMKC in jeopardy.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think it would be a nice side project for Slash and Duff to revive to work together again once they realize Axl and GNR will never release new music. They are not that old, they have a good 20 years left in the tank for working in music. Would make Slash write a bit different music instead of releasing the same album with SMKC over and over again. Because if he is going to do that, Slash will have a legacy like ACDC just within SMKC of having released the same album 15 times, and I think that band is already done artistically right now after 3, LTD barely had 2-3 good songs, 80% recycled dross that wouldn't make World on Fire. It would allow Slash to work with a different singer, without putting SMKC in jeopardy.

it's not VR without Scott and it was over after Contraband really. No one cared anymore. Slash doesn't release the same album, it is more varied compared to AC/DC. He does recycle shit sometimes and Myles is a bland singer imo with lame lyrics but there's cool shit on every Slash release. That was always the case, at least for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm not against it myself but i don't think Slash/Duff would feel its worth the effort and headaches to revive it.

I think he is quite content with SMKC actually. I could see him maybe doing another Slash-like album if he gets the itch to work with other singers.

Edited by -W.A.R-

19 hours ago, Rovim said:

it's not VR without Scott and it was over after Contraband really. No one cared anymore. Slash doesn't release the same album, it is more varied compared to AC/DC. He does recycle shit sometimes and Myles is a bland singer imo with lame lyrics but there's cool shit on every Slash release. That was always the case, at least for me.

How exactly are they not the same? All the songs are interchangeable. All 3 SMKC albums are the same freaking album, and I think the next 15 will be exactly the same, that band will go nowhere artistically. A different singer would maybe steer the songs in another direction and not make it sound all so samey, but not Myles.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

How exactly are they not the same? All the songs are interchangeable. All 3 SMKC albums are the same freaking album, and I think the next 15 will be exactly the same, that band will go nowhere artistically. A different singer would maybe steer the songs in another direction and not make it sound all so samey, but not Myles.

idk, the 3 SMKC albums don't sound the same to me. Every album got its own vibe imo. WOF is the most adventurous out of the 3 with more interesting song structures and a bit more metalic in places, LTD is more concise and melodic, and the first one is less varied with a more basic hard rock approach.

every album also contains a bunch of cool riffs and leads and usually great work from the band. I agree about Myles. I think the material deserves a better, more varied singer maybe with not a super clean voice and better lyrics. I like what he did in tunes like Wicked Stone for example.

• Like 1

I have eaten up everything Slash has ever done but please put SMKC to rest.. I have no interest in hearing anything with Myles again.. The last album was terrible and Myles was anything but the strong point on the first two records.. He does sound good on a song here and there but most of the time he sounds annoying and boring as hell. 

54 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I have eaten up everything Slash has ever done but please put SMKC to rest.. I have no interest in hearing anything with Myles again.. The last album was terrible and Myles was anything but the strong point on the first two records.. He does sound good on a song here and there but most of the time he sounds annoying and boring as hell. 

Not happening

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Until GNR keep consistenty making albums, Slash will keep making the exact same album with Myles and SMKC. And I don't think the albums will get any better lol, 1 out of 3 albums is good so far, AL was half baked and LTD was hot garbage on the heels of WOF. Probably the biggest slump from one album to another I've ever experienced. And now after the GNR reunion there is no way Slash will use his best ideas for SMKC albums unlike 2012-2014, no matter what he says, he will save his best ideas for GNR I don't believe otherwise.

20 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

SMKC is pretty much the band Slash has always wanted. No drama and ace players who can cover any of his past material along with being able to contribute to new material. Plus his name is front and center.

You've nailed it, SMKC exists purely for comfort reasons, not because Slash knows he makes incredible music with them. I mean, I think he wanted to, and he DID with WOF, but its probably run its course. I was actually excited from 2014-2018 to see what the follow up to WOF would be, because WOF was incredible. Either that band is really gonna make WOF level albums from now on and be the best rock band of the decade, or it was a fluke. Then LTD came and I was crushed, pure "fuck it this'll do" by not only Slash but also Myles. And SMKC now being basically the side gig for Slash and Myles releasing solo albums now, not too good future prospects for improvement from LTD, IMHO.

Releasing an album like LTD after WOF says it all, and all things considered (lol) now with GNR active, Myles into other projects more important to him, SMKC is gonna release 15 more mediocre albums, shit something out to tour a bit.

17 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I think LTD has some great songs on it.  The Great Pretender is one of my favorite SMKC songs.  I saw them at s show on my birthday a few years ago and they played it. It was awesome

2 or 3 great songs is not a great ratio, especially not for Slash who made consistently good albums his entire career before that. And if you ask me WOF has FIFTEEN great songs.

13 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You've nailed it, SMKC exists purely for comfort reasons, not because Slash knows he makes incredible music with them. I mean, I think he wanted to, and he DID with WOF, but its probably run its course. I was actually excited from 2014-2018 to see what the follow up to WOF would be, because WOF was incredible. Either that band is really gonna make WOF level albums from now on and be the best rock band of the decade, or it was a fluke. Then LTD came and I was crushed, pure "fuck it this'll do" by not only Slash but also Myles. And SMKC now being basically the side gig for Slash and Myles releasing solo albums now, not too good future prospects for improvement from LTD, IMHO.

Releasing an album like LTD after WOF says it all, and all things considered (lol) now with GNR active, Myles into other projects more important to him, SMKC is gonna release 15 more mediocre albums, shit something out to tour a bit.

2 or 3 great songs is not a great ratio, especially not for Slash who made consistently good albums his entire career before that. And if you ask me WOF has FIFTEEN great songs.

I think Slash has it in him to make another album on the level of WOF. He worked on 20 tunes when the world was on lockdown. He had no option to tour so I hope he came up with some great shit. Won't be long until we'll get to hear it.

• Like 2