Guns N’ Roses to play Rock In Rio ‘22

Anyone else notice 4tus absent from the live shot promo photo they used to post this news? I mean, he’s only been in the band for 20 years, I guess it doesn’t matter if they cut him out of the shot right…? :blink: :lol:

#izzyreturningrumoursstartnow

#notreally

#yellowraincoatmakesareturninstead

Edited by metallex78
  • Haha 4

The fact that Glastonbury goes out live on the BBC and they have full rebroadcast rights for some time afterwards probably puts paid to GNR playing - that and the fact that they don't pay big fees.

Would open them up to a huge audience though and its a right of passage for any band looking to ensure classic act status - Macca, Springsteen, U2, Radiohead, The Who, Neil Young, Dylan et all have all done it - very few top tier acts have not - Prince, Stone Roses, Nirvana are notable exceptions but all had been due to play at one point. Slash has played it solo though.

I got told once by the Stereophonics' manager that they got to headline Glastonbury in 2002 because Guns pulled out  - they were all but confirmed (and were also due to do Jools Holland at the same time apparently), but got cold feet and opted to do Leeds (but weirdly not Reading) later that year.

Edited by SilverMachine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverMachine said:

The fact that Glastonbury goes out live on the BBC and they have full rebroadcast rights for some time afterwards probably puts paid to GNR playing - that and the fact that they don't pay big fees.

Would open them up to a huge audience though and its a right of passage for any band looking to ensure classic act status - Macca, Springsteen, U2, Radiohead, The Who, Neil Young, Dylan et all have all done it - very few top tier acts have not - Prince, Stone Roses, Nirvana are notable exceptions but all had been due to play at one point. Slash has played it solo though.

I got told once by the Stereophonics' manager that they got to headline Glastonbury in 2002 because Guns pulled out  - they were all but confirmed (and were also due to do Jools Holland at the same time apparently), but got cold feet and opted to do Leeds (but weirdly not Reading) later that year.

No way! Never heard this before, very interesting. Also did find it strange that they played Leeds and not Reading. I remember after the switch-off in Reading 2010 Axl on stage saying they wouldn't play Leeds. Guess he calmed down after he realised how much he'd be sued :P

Just now, SilverMachine said:

I can sot of believe the Glastonbury 2002 thing.....but Jools Holland? I can't really see that happening. Interesting thought though. 

Can you imagine how slammed GNR could get playing Glastonbury though? For a start, it's very much not their sort of audience, so a lot of people will be fairly cynical from the offset and if it went out on TV and people saw it and Axl wasn't on top form........it would be meme/gif city.!

I'd say it would be kind of pointless them doing it at this stage really. I'd just like them to take a long break from playing live though in order that people miss them and the shows seem of interest again. I can't say at this stage that I'm even that bothered about following the shows on here very much anymore, if there's no change. 

42 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I can sot of believe the Glastonbury 2002 thing.....but Jools Holland? I can't really see that happening. Interesting thought though. 

Can you imagine how slammed GNR could get playing Glastonbury though? For a start, it's very much not their sort of audience, so a lot of people will be fairly cynical from the offset and if it went out on TV and people saw it and Axl wasn't on top form........it would be meme/gif city.!

I'd say it would be kind of pointless them doing it at this stage really. I'd just like them to take a long break from playing live though in order that people miss them and the shows seem of interest again. I can't say at this stage that I'm even that bothered about following the shows on here very much anymore, if there's no change. 

There's very little chance of them going away for a long period at their ages. Obviously the other members will be ok to perform in 2/3 yrs but Axl needs to be kept on the road so that his voice stays in working condition. 

I think the time to call it for NITL was 2019, smaller venues probably less money. The better play was Let's meet back in 2yrs and do the stadium run again when the demand is back.

Just now, Tom2112 said:

There's very little chance of them going away for a long period at their ages. Obviously the other members will be ok to perform in 2/3 yrs but Axl needs to be kept on the road so that his voice stays in working condition. 

I think the time to call it for NITL was 2019, smaller venues probably less money. The better play was Let's meet back in 2yrs and do the stadium run again when the demand is back.

Yep. Those LA Forum shows were the perfect place to pause, take stock, get some new stuff out and restart again at a much later date. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, allwaystired said:

There’s more than rumour to that Jools Holland performance. I remember a few years ago it was mentioned significantly too. It was due to be a big coup for them. Glastonbury was ready to roll too, but they couldn’t come to terms on the broadcasting and other parts. GnR followed suit with similar festivals not allowing the BBC to broadcast entire headline slots. Very strange of them I’ve always said.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

There’s more than rumour to that Jools Holland performance. I remember a few years ago it was mentioned significantly too. It was due to be a big coup for them. Glastonbury was ready to roll too, but they couldn’t come to terms on the broadcasting and other parts. GnR followed suit with similar festivals not allowing the BBC to broadcast entire headline slots. Very strange of them I’ve always said.

Interesting. Not heard the rumour before. 

I wonder how it would have gone down? Braids, Buckethead etc etc. It would have been a bold move showcasing new tracks in a format where it's difficult to hide away like you can sometimes do with a live show. I can't think that it would have gone down well with people though. It would probably have been seen fairly negatively. 

Add it to the long list of 'things GNR could have done but didn't I suppose'. 

As for the 'showing video' thing I'd understand it if they were trying to stop people seeing a poor performance.....but RIR is always shown and is always a disaster! Maybe it's just a money thing again. It probably all comes down to money these days. 

1 hour ago, Bansidhe said:

Can only imagine Axl's reaction if Jools tried to join in and add some "boogie woogie" to Madagascar or something.

Insufferable diminutive pianist.

Poor old Jools! 

He is looking rather sinister these days. 

• 2 weeks later...