Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

I just need somewhere to vent. A friend of mine in the USA has posted on Facebook a photo of her hugging her dad. It was taken today. They live four states apart. 

I'm absolutely fuming that nobody in the US seems to appreciate that there's a highly infectious virus which spreads when people travel and spend time with each other. 

Y'all don't give a crap while Europe is in a second national lockdown. I've not seen my elderly grandparents since Christmas! 

• Like 1

I visit my grandma three times per week and we are all quite healthy - granted she lives close. 

3 hours ago, soon said:

Sure. Im presenting "idiocy"

Does anyone still like you?

I don't know who Im is but I am sure he is an extremely good presenter. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I visit my grandma three times per week and we are all quite healthy - granted she lives close. 

Heh. If you visit your grandma regularly, she is within your "cohort", your close group of regular contacts, and you are allowed to have such contacts, I assume., at least we are in Norway What is being commented upon here, is people travelling across countries -- and thus potentially getting in contact with the virus at airports, planes, buses -- to visit someone not in their "cohort" and who are elderly and thus likely more vulnerable to the disease. Apples and oranges, basically.

Besides, have you forgotten your claim about having had the disease already? If that is true you would likely not be a danger to your grandma, and thus it is even less of a risk to visit her regularly. 

8 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Lol I have friends who are nurses who went from michigan to go to Disney world this week. Idiots

Florida? They flew from Michigan all that way for Disney World? It's so selfish. 

All this is causing me not to like Americans in general. 

• Like 1

I just want to clarify that while I was angry last night, I'm not angry at any specific individuals. I'm angry that the American government has led its citizens to believe that travelling long distances and visiting each others' homes is acceptable during this pandemic. It hasn't communicated clearly enough how dangerous Covid-19 is. For a society where everyone pays vast sums of money for their healthcare, I expected culturally that there might be a bit more adversity to catching it. 

• Like 1

And I'll add regarding the poorest areas being hit hardest, spend any time on a council-estate and you'll see a tight-knit community. People on council estates move far less often. They're born and raised, then get a house of their own in the same area, so they can behave more like family than neighbours. They're happy to walk into each others' houses, look after each others' kids, let friends who have it worse sleep on their sofas. Lockdown hasn't made a difference to these practices, so of course,  Covid is spreading more there, sadly. 

Corona infection ratios in deprived areas is another conversation but the consequences of lockdown are certainly sending people into unemployment and foodbanks - not just the working classes either, but people who you usually don't see resorting to food banks. This is in the clip I earlier posted. 

PS

The Trussell Trust’s new analysis forecasts a 61% increase in food parcels needed across its UK network in October to December – six parcels given out every minute

During the start of the pandemic around half of people who used a food bank had never needed one before

The charity warns that with mass unemployment predicted on a scale not seen since the early nineties, there will be further rises in poverty with 670,000 additional people classed as destitute by the end of 2020, meaning they cannot afford essentials like housing, energy and food. This is on top of year-on-year rises in the number of people unable to afford food and forced to food banks across the UK.  

https://www.trusselltrust.org/2020/09/14/new-report-reveals-how-coronavirus-has-affected-food-bank-use/

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Corona infection ratios in deprived areas is another conversation but the consequences of lockdown are certainly sending people into unemployment and foodbanks - not just the working classes either, but people who you usually don't see resorting to food banks. This is in the clip I earlier posted. 

So the consequences of shitty governance then

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, the pandemic does suck. But these articles are speculative - They are not reporting. You prolly should have read them. They are about a hypothetical second shut down, with all sorts of maybes and cavetes that one would expect from an advocate of small business, to pad their case. Especially those poisoned by right wing nonsense. Of course everyone agrees that these are devastating times. Just many of us dont pretend we can just ignore it till it goes away.

Another thing you may have missed in the minute you collected these links (:lol:) is that Canada entered the pandemic as "The envy of the World" as far as our financial abilities. There have been BILLIONS in subsidies for businesses, payroll relief, and individuals/households, tribal council discretion, etc. Fed and prov just re-upped on many of these once again this week. Employment Insurance rules have changed, etc.

I think part of our financial abilities related to how we didn't pull out of all our trade deals just prior the pandemic. Having trade deals gives lenders more confidence. Its a thing that many developed countries are very protective of. :lol:

In fact, I volunteer for a childrens winter needs program and we have the exact same need and goals as we did last year. But in the ads, they of course say 'the need is greater than ever.'

Canada is donating millions of vaccines to impoverished nations. And those who can are donating to Dr Without Borders for their work in US.

49 minutes ago, soon said:

Yes, the pandemic does suck. But these articles are speculative - They are not reporting. You prolly should have read them. They are about a hypothetical second shut down, with all sorts of maybes and cavetes that one would expect from an advocate of small business, to pad their case. Especially those poisoned by right wing nonsense. Of course everyone agrees that these are devastating times. Just many of us dont pretend we can just ignore it till it goes away.

Another thing you may have missed in the minute you collected these links (:lol:) is that Canada entered the pandemic as "The envy of the World" as far as our financial abilities. There have been BILLIONS in subsidies for businesses, payroll relief, and individuals/households, tribal council discretion, etc. Fed and prov just re-upped on many of these once again this week. Employment Insurance rules have changed, etc.

I think part of our financial abilities related to how we didn't pull out of all our trade deals just prior the pandemic. Having trade deals gives lenders more confidence. Its a thing that many developed countries are very protective of. :lol:

In fact, I volunteer for a childrens winter needs program and we have the exact same need and goals as we did last year. But in the ads, they of course say 'the need is greater than ever.'

Canada is donating millions of vaccines to impoverished nations. And those who can are donating to Dr Without Borders for their work in US.

In many senses you are the most right wing left winger imaginable.

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Well... no.

Doesn't give a monkeys about the working classes and socio-economic concerns such as unemployment.

Illiberal (you seem to have a problem with people who don't agree with you, labelling everybody in such a category ''right wingers'')

Likes to be fisted by the totalitarian state

Supports neo-liberalism 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Doesn't give a monkeys about the working classes and socio-economic concerns such as unemployment.

Illiberal (you seem to have a problem with people who don't agree with you, labelling everybody in such a category ''right wingers'')

Likes to be fisted by the totalitarian state

Supports neo-liberalism 

Of course none of this is true, though. That’s where you run into a problem with it :lol:

so I've had another talk with my dad about this, man to man. He asked me "what's your latest view on corona" and without saying a word, he already knew.

I told him, as far as I'm concerned, there is no corona. Were it not for the occasional hinderance of needing to deal with queues EVERYWHERE, and these stupid mouth masks, I wouldn't even know there was corona. I told him, I've had it once very bad, the second time was nothing special, and the latest is that contrary to earlier reports, the body 'remembers' if you got corona and is armed much better if you catch it a second time.

He didn't mind the virus much either (he's a diabetic and a bit overweight). it's not like he interacted much with society to begin with, and this is just more reason to not let anybody in but his absolute core of intimables. 

I asked him if he had read "1984" and how I feel this book increasingly becoming reality. he didn't, and he didn't have interest in reading it either. He doesn't have time for all this doomsday talk. Life is too short to worry. And he gave me a final lesson before I left for home (it was getting kinda late): if things go bad. And not just bad, but really, really, end of the world bad. Well then he said, from then on it can only get better. What a hero.

Edited by action
  • Like 1