Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

After the Trump administration announced no future testing, Gov. Abbott of Texas has announced that by October there will be millions of tests for everyone to get tested along with an app to trace where an infected person has been. Can't wait to see this one. The test is supposed to be quick and get results right away. Not sure how accurate it'll be, but it's something.

Still waiting on word if schools will go back on September 8.

23 hours ago, soon said:

Sounds yummy, Im gonna try and make a pasta with bean sauce! Thanks! :drool:

I like the sound of your grandpa too! I grow those crops most seasons. An Italian must grow tomatoes and basil if they grow anything! lol

Not during pandemic though. Beans and basil, some flowers, and some herbs. That was it for this year. 

Id be lost with out post it notes in various rooms with the exact same info on them all! :lol:

Let me know how your pasta and beans comes out! I'm bet it'll be very tasty.

yeah, my poppy, we called him that, was an amazing man. Would do anything for his kids and grandkids. WE all miss him so much, but we all share great memories.

Stay well and enjoy your delicious meals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Let me know how your pasta and beans comes out! I'm bet it'll be very tasty.

yeah, my poppy, we called him that, was an amazing man. Would do anything for his kids and grandkids. WE all miss him so much, but we all share great memories.

Stay well and enjoy your delicious meals.

Thanks, Ill let you know! Might make my own noodles for this one, too.

Your Poppy sounds awesome! 

So I mentioned to you that I usually like to grow corn and such as well, but couldnt this year. And then today my covid volunteer assistant, who helps me with things like getting my groceries since Im high risk, brought me all sorts of harvest bounty including corn on the cob!! All as a gift!

How kind of them! And isnt it so cool that we were just talking about growing corn?!?! :headbang:

Edited by soon

That is amazing to have people who help you like that.

So many wonderful people in Texas are also helping out where anyone needs help. Some have small businesses that donate the proceeds to different causes.

Well, sorry you are high risk, so you keep yourself inside and well.

My grandma would make the beans and pasta separately and then after both are done, mix them together in the bean pot. That way it all mixes together well.

I love corn on the cob.  It tastes so much better than any other corn and good for you too!

Enjoy your bountry!

22 hours ago, soon said:

Thanks, Ill let you know! Might make my own noodles for this one, too.

Your Poppy sounds awesome! 

So I mentioned to you that I usually like to grow corn and such as well, but couldnt this year. And then today my covid volunteer assistant, who helps me with things like getting my groceries since Im high risk, brought me all sorts of harvest bounty including corn on the cob!! All as a gift!

How kind of them! And isnt it so cool that we were just talking about growing corn?!?! :headbang:

Yeah, so glad you got to have corn on the cob. Enjoy!

Yeah, my poppy was wonderful. Miss him everyday.

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, downzy said:

This is a strange tweet. Why for instance the strange amalgam (''populations of countries above'') of separate countries and governments who all have used different anti-kung flu measures? One could just as easily add the population of China to the United States and produce a similarly meaningless statistic! In fact why choose those particular countries in the first place? Why has India (+1,019 yesterday), Brazil (869) or Mexico (518) not been cited?

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is a strange tweet. Why for instance the strange amalgam (''populations of countries above'') of separate countries and governments who all have used different anti-kung flu measures? One could just as easily add the population of China to the United States and produce a similarly meaningless statistic! In fact why choose those particular countries in the first place? Why has India (+1,019 yesterday), Brazil (869) or Mexico (518) not been cited?

I think, THINK, he's pointing out that other countries are faring better so there must be a better model to use that the US is currently so he's selected those countries stats. I don't know. But if that's the point he was making it wouldn't make sense to include stats from countries who are doing worse than the USA.

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why has India (+1,019 yesterday), Brazil (869) or Mexico (518) not been cited?

Because they are not similar to the countries included in the summary.

The US, like every other country included in the list of the tweet, has the resources and capacity to mitigate and control the viral outbreak incomparable to Mexico, Brazil, and India.

For reasons that I think are obvious to anyone paying attention, the US has not been successful in bringing daily death rates down like comparable nations with similar resources. 

lol put so well! I totally agree with you. What will it take for people to realize this virus is here to say and wearing a mask and distancing is not a big deal to do, but will save your life and other lives too. It's a small thing to ask.

I told you common sense has gone right out the window. 

Making it about a right to not wear a mask is so damn stupid. Doctors and nurses wear them all the time to save lives and one of those lives might be yours one day.

It's sad to see so many stupid people. Too much time on their hands. Don't they have jobs or school or anything else to do besides bitch about wearing a mask?

Stay safe!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, downzy said:

The US, like every other country included in the list of the tweet, has the resources and capacity to mitigate and control the viral outbreak incomparable to Mexico, Brazil, and India.

For reasons that I think are obvious to anyone paying attention, the US has not been successful in bringing daily death rates down like comparable nations with similar resources. 

Because the US has a leader who doesn't give a shit about anything but getting re-elected and no on in their right mind would vote for him, but unfortunately there seems to be a lot of stupid people who believe Trump's bullshit. I wish I could believe this virus would up and leave one day, but that's not going to happen and keeping the country open and adding schools to the mix will only make things so much worse in the coming weeks and months. I said this virus would be here until December. Now I think it'll be here well in the new year and beyond and God help us if Trump is still President.

I feel for Mexico. When my mom learned history back in the 60's and 70's it always talked about North America with the US, Canada and Mexico and how we all helped one another. Now it's like no one gives a shit about Mexico or their people. Canada seems to be dealing okay by themselves, but we're all one continent and should be there for each other. When did we all get so selfish?

1 hour ago, soon said:

Large anti-precaution protest in Berlin today. A bunch of dummies demanding the right to be dummies. :lol:

We really should give some thought to carving out a piece of land from Russia or Canada or some other sparsely populated but large geographic country and call it Assholelandia. 

Then every asshole can move there do whatever they fuck they want.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, downzy said:

This is rather selective - India have a space program! And Britain was included, and Britain was being criticised just as much as the USA only a few weeks ago. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

This is rather selective - India have a space program! And Britain was included, and Britain was being criticised just as much as the USA only a few weeks ago. 

Again, you're missing the point.

The nations selected all had dramatic spikes back in late winter and early spring, the US included. 

All other nations have been able to curtail death rates to a fraction of what they were.

All nations have similar GPD per capita, incomparable to nations like Brazil, India, and Mexico.

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Again, you're missing the point.

The nations selected all had dramatic spikes back in late winter and early spring, the US included. 

All other nations have been able to curtail death rates to a fraction of what they were.

All nations have similar GPD per capita, incomparable to nations like Brazil, India, and Mexico.

I don't believe the kung flu discriminates according to lack of GDP - think you meant GDP? - somehow!

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't believe the kung flu discriminates according to lack of GDP - think you meant GDP? - somehow!

It' doesn't.  It does seem to respond and respect decent leadership amongst nations who have the capacity to manage it.  

1 minute ago, downzy said:

It' doesn't.  It does seem to respond and respect decent leadership amongst nations who have the capacity to manage it.  

But it cited Britain which is under Boris Johnson, and he is been hammered for corona, and it was only a few weeks ago that Britain was being seen as the worst country pertaining to corona! 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But it cited Britain which is under Boris Johnson, and he is been hammered for corona, and it was only a few weeks ago that Britain was being seen as the worst country pertaining to corona! 

It's certainly been one of worse, if not the worst, in Europe.  But that only reinforces how badly America is presently doing.  

Just now, downzy said:

It's certainly been one of worse, if not the worst, in Europe.  But that only reinforces how badly America is presently doing.  

Seems like it is just a bunch of cherry picked countries that have been weirdly amalgamated in order to indulge a bit of mindless Trump bashing, which by the way is not to say that Trump does not deserve to be criticised for his anti-corona policies - he has seemingly made a dog's dinner of proceedings.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Seems like it is just a bunch of cherry picked countries that have been weirdly amalgamated in order to indulge a bit of mindless Trump bashing, which by the way is not to say that Trump does not deserve to be criticised for his anti-corona policies - he has seemingly made a dog's dinner of proceedings.

So... Trump should be criticized, just not with facts and figures? :lol:

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

So you feel as though Trump should be criticized, but comparing American performance on its handling of the virus against other similar nations (even nations that have also done a poor job) is unfair Trump bashing.

Okay...

Just now, soon said:

So... Trump should be criticized, just not with facts and figures? :lol:

By taking a bunch of random countries and cobbling them together for no apparent reason in order to make some rhetorical drama?

It was only a few weeks ago Germany was wunderbar. What has happened? 

Just now, downzy said:

So you feel as though Trump should be criticized, but comparing American performance on its handling of the virus against other similar nations (even nations that have also done a poor job) is unfair Trump bashing.

Okay...

I don't believe there is any worthwhile reason for amalgamating separate countries who've all done basically their own thing irrespective of one and another, and are all at different stages of the pandemic!  

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

By taking a bunch of random countries and cobbling them together for no apparent reason in order to make some rhetorical drama?

All developed nations with relatively high GDP per capita and robust medical capacity (as opposed to India, Mexico, and Brazil).  

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't believe there is any worthwhile reason for amalgamating separate countries who've all done basically their own thing irrespective of one and another, and are all at different stages of the pandemic!  

You don't see a point in comparing the US with other developed nations who have done a much better job in lowering case and death rates?

I guess comparative analysis isn't your thing.  

Just now, downzy said:

All developed nations with relatively high GDP per capita and robust medical capacity (as opposed to India, Mexico, and Brazil).  

Is the medical capacity really so poor in those countries? All three are divided by class to a great extent, with a very wealthy component who will receive care akin to the countries cited. I also thought the US is meant to have one of the worst medical systems in the world, whereby you require insurance? 

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Also worthy of note that Mexico, Brazil and India were hit later and are still in the middle of their initial wave of cases. UK Germany etc were hit at roughly the same time as the US and all now have the virus under control whereas Trump and co clearly do not.